11/24 | Stony Brook Seawolves | 2PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: 11/24|Stony Brook|2PM

Unread post by PeteRI »

Sorry fellas but I left early. I know this is a rebuilding season, but not for Fatts. :oops:
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We getting seriously outplayed by STONY BROOK. A school named after a small geological feature. Unbelievable.
0 x
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Hurley was the bad cop and cox was the good cop. Cox has not figured out to move to the first chair and motivate them.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Lot of people leaving early today.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Didn’t stony brook destroy our football team too?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Remember when everyone told us Cox was the offensive mastermind and with Hurley gone we’d finally see a great offense? Those were good times!
I can’t say that the offensive design has been otherworldly good, for sure, but shotmaking has been so bad it is hard for me to take much from this game as far as the coaching goes. Nobody could make anything, and it’s not like all the shots were bad shots. I mean you’re just not going to beat too many teams scoring 50 points, and you’re going to have a hard time scoring more than that when you shoot 34% from the floor and 5% (!) from three.
I would agree but I'm just not sure that its only been that they are missing shots. I mentioned this earlier, but the amount of threes they are taking is insane. It seems like everyone is content just firing up threes while everyone else stands around and watches.
4 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

This team looks awful. The freshman need to develop because there is no one that is coming into save them next year. There is no chance of a tourney bid this year unless we win the A-10 tourney. There are no set plays and Fatts just fires from anywhere. Not all his fault as we have few players that can score. Anyone assuming that we are going to the tournament next year better watch this team again. I like Cox a lot, but everyone that gets all over Hurley should keep in mind how bad and with such little passion this team played today.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Defense has also sucked. Giving up too many easy hoops.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Looks like I can make plans to go skiing out west in March since we will not be playing basketball.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago We getting seriously outplayed by STONY BROOK. A school named after a small geological feature. Unbelievable.
I mean...we are kind of named after a small geographical feature so that’s not the worst thing. The worst thing is it is a team from the America East conference without one player on their roster that we’d have offered a scholarship to.

Sometimes you just play like trash. It happens even to good teams. But this was really ugly trash and if you’d asked me before the game I’d have said if we played like trash it might make it tough to cover the spread but didn’t think we could lose the game to a team like this even on a bad day. Obviously, we were capable of worse than I thought.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I’m so confused on why anyone thought this was a tournament team before the year started. I expected plenty of ups and downs but nothing this bad.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

In the second half I never remotely felt like we were going to get back in the game. No intensity or discipline at either end of the court. We looked so much better against a good Harvard team it's hard to believe this is the same team.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I’m going to the PC game - yay

STONY BROOK ?!??!?!??!!??
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Remember when everyone told us Cox was the offensive mastermind and with Hurley gone we’d finally see a great offense? Those were good times!
I can’t say that the offensive design has been otherworldly good, for sure, but shotmaking has been so bad it is hard for me to take much from this game as far as the coaching goes. Nobody could make anything, and it’s not like all the shots were bad shots. I mean you’re just not going to beat too many teams scoring 50 points, and you’re going to have a hard time scoring more than that when you shoot 34% from the floor and 5% (!) from three.
I would agree but I'm just not sure that its only been that they are missing shots. I mentioned this earlier, but the amount of threes they are taking is insane. It seems like everyone is content just firing up threes while everyone else stands around and watches.
I'll also add, the fact that they even took so many threes to me is a coaching problem. With the way they have shot so far this season, there is absolutely no way Cox should be allowing them to take 23 three point shots. Hell Stony Brook even shot 4-20 on threes and are about to beat us by double digits on our home floor.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I will give Cyril some credit at least, he came to play today.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Clearly the lay-off was not a benefit. What did they work on? Whatever it was, it certainly didn’t show.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

There is a lot of standing.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Clearly the lay-off was not a benefit. What did they work on? Whatever it was, it certainly didn’t show.
I also kept thinking it would be good that they had so much time off to keep practicing...guess we were wrong.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This may be the legit Baron 2.0...maybe even jerry d.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We better not take more than 10 threes against Brown. Teams are definitely going to start zoning us to death soon to I'm sure.

0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago This may be the legit Baron 2.0...maybe even jerry d.
...after 4 games! :shock:
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Freshman: 58 mins, 4/15, 0/6 3 pts, didn’t get to the line, 6 boards, 2 assists, 10 fouls, 8 points, and they looked lost most of the game. Disappointing is an understatement.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

What did I just watch? 4 games into a season is usually early to start with the hyperbole but wow...I do not feel good about where things are headed.

CoC was a putrid shooting night on the road against a good (not great) team. Today was a putrid all-around effort at home against a good (not great) team.

- Fatts had a sequence I haven’t seen since I coached 8th graders, where the alpha scorer who is having a bad day comes down and forces a bad shot in traffic, turns the ball over and then looks for the foul. Yes, not a lot of options on the bench but Cox needs to call timeout, take him out of the game or show even a little fire there.

- Cyril doesn’t make enough free throws or have enough offensive moves to keep forcing it to him down low when we’re trying to go on a run.

-We deserved to lose but for what it’s worth I thought the refs were garbage.

- Fatts is in his own head, trying to shoot his way out of this slump he’s in. I love the guy and most of us can say “we told you so” when there was genuine concern about his transition from “microwave bench guy” to “focal point starter”. It’s safe to say it hasn’t gone well.

- I know they’re Freshmen blah blah, but I figured we’d at least see SOMETHING by now. Something meaning maybe a nice 10 point game and burying a few 3’s. But nothing yet and it’s killing us.

- No game is a automatic win when this team is capable of efforts like this. Gotta fix it or all of the momentum from the past few seasons could be gone by Valentines Day.
3 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

We’ve gone 9-62 from deep the last three games (barely 7%). Absolutely pitiful.
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Poor effort.. Got out hustled whole game.. No real leader
Near end of game fatts let a guy go right by him with 0 effort.. Packed it in.. Unacceptable.. That's not leadership..
Harris is hurt.. Looks like hamstring. If it didn't improve with a week off could be a year long thing
Last edited by ram1980 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 5 years ago We’ve gone 9-62 from deep the last three games (barely 7%). Absolutely pitiful.
9/62 is 14.5 percent. But still, not great!
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I don’t remember seeing a Hurley team play this all around bad. Embarrassing.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Putrid - so sick of this mediocrity

STONY BROOK ?!??

wow have we fallen
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

mstyles22 wrote: 5 years ago What did I just watch? 4 games into a season is usually early to start with the hyperbole but wow...I do not feel good about where things are headed.

CoC was a putrid shooting night on the road against a good (not great) team. Today was a putrid all-around effort at home against a good (not great) team.

- Fatts had a sequence I haven’t seen since I coached 8th graders, where the alpha scorer who is having a bad day comes down and forces a bad shot in traffic, turns the ball over and then looks for the foul. Yes, not a lot of options on the bench but Cox needs to call timeout, take him out of the game or show even a little fire there.

- Cyril doesn’t make enough free throws or have enough offensive moves to keep forcing it to him down low when we’re trying to go on a run.

-We deserved to lose but for what it’s worth I thought the refs were garbage.

- Fatts is in his own head, trying to shoot his way out of this slump he’s in. I love the guy and most of us can say “we told you so” when there was genuine concern about his transition from “microwave bench guy” to “focal point starter”. It’s safe to say it hasn’t gone well.

- I know they’re Freshmen blah blah, but I figured we’d at least see SOMETHING by now. Something meaning maybe a nice 10 point game and burying a few 3’s. But nothing yet and it’s killing us.

- No game is a automatic win when this team is capable of efforts like this. Gotta fix it or all of the momentum from the past few seasons could be gone by Valentines Day.
The freshman excuse and needing time is getting a little old. If you look at many freshman across the country and I’m not talking about Duke and the big schools you will see solid contributors who looked like they have played basketball before. If this is what we are getting from this class than it will be even worse next year. Mading and Long will not be able to add anything offensively. Maybe Aris who we were told was a sleeper and to trust the process will save the day
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Fatts is a horrendous shooter - always has been

Off the bench it didn’t show as much but wow / horrible shooter
3 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 5 years ago We’ve gone 9-62 from deep the last three games (barely 7%). Absolutely pitiful.
We made that many?
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

A team with literally zero good shooters is taking like 40% of their shots from three. If thats the plan then it's time to recruit some shooters.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Umm, yeah what everyone else said.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Stony Brook played 9 guys. 2 starters were freshman and 1 sophomore, and then all 4 guys off the bench were sophomores. They were also missing their second leading scorer, and they ran us off the floor in our own gym. So the youth excuse doesnt hold up much today.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The things to be concerned about

-lack of intensity
-lack of player development with FR even after 4 games, how they are being used and when they are being used leaves a lot to be desired
-Fatts being coached like we are afraid he might transfer so let’s let him do whatever he wants

And most worrisome
-body language. It was awful. By pretty much everyone.
5 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
9/62 is 14.5 percent. But still, not great!
LOL I transposed the numbers doing the division. Too many IPAs! But yes, terrible nonetheless.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Switch up the rotations vs Brown, it’s a must.
1 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

No spin zone from me.

Crushing loss.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Listen I’m furious and a loss like this is unacceptable but can we please not bring up Dan Hurley everytime we have have a bad game? He’s gone.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Martin with zero points, 1 rebound and 1 turnover doesn't help. Also he fouled out.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I didn’t look but I think a few of our frosh are averaging more fouls per game than points or rebounds.
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Brutal, just brutal shooting effort. This years team needs a better defensive effort than that to get some easy buckets since they struggle shooting.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Lack of fire all around...rarely saw that with Hurls' teams (that was for you ss). Seemed like with 8-9 minutes left, body language was bad, like they had pretty much given up the ghost. Martin actually almost looked relieved to foul out. Fatts just seems flat out discouraged.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

It all starts with the coach.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago -Fatts being coached like we are afraid he might transfer so let’s let him do whatever he wants
I almost brought this up but thought I would get killed for it. I had the same thought, especially after that comment about the game winning shot the other night.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago -Fatts being coached like we are afraid he might transfer so let’s let him do whatever he wants
I almost brought this up but thought I would get killed for it. I had the same thought, especially after that comment about the game winning shot the other night.
I don't think they're going to be good until he starts hitting 3's. Only option is to have him keep chucking it up.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

DeanDome88 wrote: 5 years ago
RIFan wrote: 5 years ago This may be the legit Baron 2.0...maybe even jerry d.
...after 4 games! :shock:
In addition to too soon just associating someone with JD's name is equivalent to a slur, yikes.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

We have to just hope that this was one of those bad games that teams have in their system. However, the lack of intensity, the poor body language, the poor shot selection and negligible bench scoring/depth are not good signs for this season. Let's hope this changes.
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago I don’t remember seeing a Hurley team play this all around bad. Embarrassing.
Hurley teams had a few clunkers , St. Joe’s last year on Senior night Fordham at home, but I get the point .. this was embarrassing in every way, Cox will get the benefit of the doubt, but this team must show measurable improvement throughout the year or all the good work up the last two years will be for nothing.
Last edited by Shinze88 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That is not the only option. We are not a bad shooting team we are a team taking a plethora of bad shots. We aren’t missing open threes. Fatts is chucking fade away step backs, Jeff having to shoot off the dribble from 25 feet. These are low percentage shots for Larry Bird.

In the same way the FR aren’t being inserted into roles but being expected to do everything well. Not realistic. They need to be the beneficiary of good offense, right now they aren’t.

This is a team that should run some flex or another continuity motion that doesn’t always rely so heavily on dribble drive and high ball screen Iso to generate looks. This isn’t a roster of EC,Jared, Jarvis, Dowtin that all could play well off PnR. Right now we have Jeff who i trust to make decisions with the ball. It gets sticky in Fatts hands. CT isn’t confident enough yet to try and initiate. So we need to move it more, spray it around, get more people involved and active. Our shot selection is driving our putrid shooting pct not our shooters.
1 x