'16 DC F Antwan Walker (URI Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '16 DC F Antwan Walker (URI Transfer)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Is he 6-7 or 6-9? I have seen different reports on his height.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago Is he 6-7 or 6-9? I have seen different reports on his height.
6’9” is reported by his HS coach and last year’s GTown roster. DC Ram has seen him play in person last year at GTown.
He was 6’7” as a 17 year old in the 2015-16 Woodson videos.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I like this move. A LOT!!!!!!!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Send it in Ant Walker !!

Looking forward to seeing some monster dunks
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago Is he 6-7 or 6-9? I have seen different reports on his height.
6’9” is reported by his HS coach and last year’s GTown roster. DC Ram has seen him play in person last year at GTown.
If he truly is 6-8 or 6-9, now I see why GT fans said he plays the four. After missing on McLeod, this was the exact pickup they needed, somebody to fill Preston’s minutes next year plus some will certainly give us a chance to make a run at the tournament.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Summer League
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Really like this pickup and between prep and sitting out a year should come in ready to make an impact from Day 1. Great get by our staff.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Really like this pickup and between prep and sitting out a year should come in ready to make an impact from Day 1. Great get by our staff.
My one concern for next years team was who was going to take Preston’s limited minutes as well as to have a fourth front court option that can perform higher Incase of injury. The staff seems to have addressed that concern with a seasoned individual with three years remaining. If they can keep him focused, this could be the perfect fit.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
If he truly is 6-8 or 6-9, now I see why GT fans said he plays the four. After missing on McLeod, this was the exact pickup they needed, somebody to fill Preston’s minutes next year plus some will certainly give us a chance to make a run at the tournament.

Agree with this except “run in the tournament” instead of “at”. We are going to be a great team next season with FR becoming SO and some SR leadership plus Walker.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think it is safe to say he is between 6'5"" and 6'11", maybe....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

What was wild about the HD Woodson team he played on was how they only had like 7 guys. I remember seeing them play against SSSA and the benches were quite the contrast. HD Woodson with like 2 players and a coach, compared to SSSA with 15 guys, and 4-5 coaches.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I see rebounds and dunks when I look at this picture
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Look at that freaking wing span !!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Really like this pickup and between prep and sitting out a year should come in ready to make an impact from Day 1. Great get by our staff.
My one concern for next years team was who was going to take Preston’s limited minutes as well as to have a fourth front court option that can perform higher Incase of injury. The staff seems to have addressed that concern with a seasoned individual with three years remaining. If they can keep him focused, this could be the perfect fit.
I don’t see Walker just replacing Preston’s minutes. See him more likely in a starting role.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
I don’t see Walker just replacing Preston’s minutes. See him more likely in a starting role.
Next year starting role? So over Harris is what your saying? I don’t see that happening.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well we will see how Harris improves this year. It's possible Ant Walker could be better than Jermaine
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Next year starting role? So over Harris is what your saying? I don’t see that happening.
Well he is far more than Preston as you referred to and he will push very hard for a starting spot which Preston could not do.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Mongo wrote: 5 years ago

Agree with this except “run in the tournament” instead of “at”. We are going to be a great team next season with FR becoming SO and some SR leadership plus Walker.
Agree. Next year’s team was going to be LOADED even before adding Walker. In that respect, adding Walker is a home run compared to McLeod (who I was hoping we would get). Having that extra quality depth up front will make us really dangerous. Three or four years from now we may wish we’d been able to land McLeod, but next year I’ll go with a guy that I think will be able to contribute right away. I don’t think McLeod was ever going to be that.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

So he’s not eligible until next season, right?
Apologies if this was confirmed already.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

yeah, I think he is nothing like Preston. He will likely start.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago So he’s not eligible until next season, right?
Apologies if this was confirmed already.
Not confirmed when he will be eligible. The assumption is the start of next season. Anything other than next Jan requires a waiver from the NCAA.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago yeah, I think he is nothing like Preston. He will likely start.
Start over Harris in his Soph year? I don’t see that happening. Just sayin..
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Who cares who starts, it’s a good problem to have. Cyril, Harris and Walker will give us 3 high level athletes inside.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Who cares who starts, it’s a good problem to have. Cyril, Harris and Walker will give us 3 high level athletes inside.
My sentiments exactly, add Tate to this mix and it’s four high level front court players.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Walker is much more added value than just to fill Ryan Preston’s minutes. He was not a fill in for missing McLeod. You are understating this addition.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Walker is much more added value than just to fill Ryan Preston’s minutes. He was not a fill in for missing McLeod. You are understating this addition.
We’re actually saying the same thing. I wrote fill in Preston’s minutes PLUS some. I like this pickup and let’s see how it plays out. You always want at least four strong front court players, which we’ll have next year.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think getting this guy is light years better than the developmental big. Give me the 6’7 6’9 guy with a proven game every time. This, IMO, is the sort of addition we will need to make in the future to be really good
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago I think getting this guy is light years better than the developmental big. Give me the 6’7 6’9 guy with a proven game every time. This, IMO, is the sort of addition we will need to make in the future to be really good
One feature not to underestimate is he’ll be a red shirt sophomore, two years more mature than your average frosh coming in.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

After tonights game, I'm still saying he starts.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago After tonights game, I'm still saying he starts.
I was almost sure he starts before today's game, closer now.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago After tonights game, I'm still saying he starts.
I was almost sure he starts before today's game, closer now.
Why are we that sure that he is a given? I like the addition, but everyone including me thought Harris and Martin would be contributors right off the bat. He didn’t exactly dominate at Georgetown. We will surely need him though
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He has the built frame that can defend better than some can now, plus his athletism. Give him a shot.
0 x
GO RAMS
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

I didn’t see him at the Stony Brook game. Anyone notice him on campus yet ?
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm pretty sure I saw him on the day that picture was taken. He was working out and dunking in the Ryan Center while the URI Football Game was going on. It was half time at the football game when I saw him do, what looked to be, a windmill dunk pretty effortlessly. I didn't know who it was at the time, but that was definitely him.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Urifan91 wrote: 5 years ago I didn’t see him at the Stony Brook game. Anyone notice him on campus yet ?
He is not on campus yet. I am pretty sure he will not be on campus until Jan 3rd. The first semester is officially over Dec 20th. I doubt they want him om campus when the team isn’t there. Dec 21-26 for Hawaii trip and a NCAA mandatory break of 3 consecutive days (most likely Dec 31 - Jan 2/3 for URI). If he has to wait until the start of the second semester, that could be as late as Jan 21st.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sticky?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think he can come as soon as his academic semester is over at GTown.....I don't think he has to wait to the start of next semester
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago I think he can come as soon as his academic semester is over at GTown.....I don't think he has to wait to the start of next semester
I agree. I think he will be in Kingston when the players get back from their mandatory 3 day break the first week of Jan.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Crazy where this program is with talent right now.

I think Uri is a top 3 in the A10 team this season and we have the best front court already. Now adding this guy!?

Schedule should be nice next year too.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Walker will certainly get his minutes. CT will get less minutes.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I'm a little late to the party on this announcement, trying to catch up. Did he get a waiver? Is he eligible starting next semester? (Crossing fingers)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think he starts playing next November start of season and we need this kid to be the real deal
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Totally agree, we need this kid to be the real deal. Walker aside this 2019 class felt like a class of projects and fall back plans.

Harris looks to be a cornerstone piece of the 2018 class and will need Walker to be that for the 2019 class.

Hurley did a great job his first few years bring in cornerstone talent in EC, Terrell and Martin and then supplementing with former top recruits (Robinson & Iverson). Cox has got Harris and Walker so that’s not a bad foundation for his first year on the job but needs a lot more.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Watch some of the videos on antwan walker. He is a very good passer and good handle for the ball for his size. I can see the ball being in his hands alot next year initiating offense off the wing. In addition to the already present compliment of players. Hammond can handle ball too. He is better off the dribble then silverio.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walker is still in Washington DC area. I would expect him to arrive around Jan 10th after the team gets back from road game at Richmond.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Koch confirming what others have indicated:

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Well that kind of sucks.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Why?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Well that kind of sucks.
Did you expect him to show up on campus in January and play immediately?
No knowledge of the offense or defense.
Waste a full year of eligibility to play once he got up to speed?

He will now have three full years of eligibility after he is on campus for 10 months.
1 x