'19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Florida State ---> Syracuse)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: '19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Florida State Commit)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago I'm probably not the only one who thinks there's zero chance that Hurley misses out on Bishop, Walker, AND McLeod.

Not a good start.
This blocking people is fun. Adds another to the list.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago I'm probably not the only one who thinks there's zero chance that Hurley misses out on Bishop, Walker, AND McLeod.

Not a good start.
This blocking people is fun. Adds another to the list.
Oh man, how am I going to sleep at night now?
2 x
Go Rhody
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

I'm by no means a "sky is falling type," but the lack of being able to close on our top 3 targets is a little concerning to me. Even one bad recruiting period can really change the direction that this program is headed. Clearly Cox needs to prove himself before the rest of the country takes us seriously being in a conference like the A-10. Sorry, judge me, but I'm very disappointed...
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Mongo wrote: 5 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago This will be fun. Giving Hurley credit for landing 100% of recruits he doesn't recruit. Hurley would have got that guy. Hurley would have won that game. so on and so on.
I bet $1mm that Hurley would have lost the Harvard game if he was coaching it. In Cox We Trust!!!
Why do you say that? Now we are just being ridiculous. I like Cox, but what has he done to show that he made adjustments that Hurley wouldn’t? Hurley may not be a great X and O guy, but he puts a fire under a program which he did at Wagner, URI and now Uconn. Cox is a smart guy that players really like and I agree with other people that not getting these recruits has more to do with where we stand as a program than Cox. The bottom line is he will need recruits to win and the 2019 class doesn’t appear to have anyone that can make a major impact. We are leaning on Dowtin, Fatts and Cyril with some help from Thompson. When they graduate is when it will be interesting. I still believe in the freshman and expect some of them will come along as the year progresses. We won’t have a class like 2018 every year so hopefully we can find a transfer with experience.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The Hurley name did mean something when it came time to close on a recruit.

Agree Cox will have to prove himself over the next couple of years in order to get higher rated recruits.

This year's freshmen class will also have to prove themselves down the road if Rhody is going to win and position themselves to win those recruiting battles.

It's getting tougher and tougher for the A10 to get 4 stars.....
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

MegaRamFan2 wrote: 5 years ago I'm by no means a "sky is falling type," but the lack of being able to close on our top 3 targets is a little concerning to me. Even one bad recruiting period can really change the direction that this program is headed. Clearly Cox needs to prove himself before the rest of the country takes us seriously being in a conference like the A-10. Sorry, judge me, but I'm very disappointed...
24/7 composite scores:

Mading - .87
Long - .88
Hammond - .89

McLeod - .89

Bishop and Walker hurt, but I dont put the odds much better on Hurley closing them against Miami and X. The classes between EC/Hass/Terrell and this year's freshmen were pretty low rated. They look better because Jeff/Fatts/Cyril were all diamonds in the rough.

Jeff was #273, Cyril #326 and Fatts #198 nationally.

But lets not act like Hurley was bringing in non stop 4* recruits. He wasnt.

Even with the misses this is a damn good class. And its very encouraging that with Cox we were still in on guys as good as Bishop/Walker to the very end
5 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We went 0-3 against the Big east and 2 ACC teams. Not for a lack of effort on the Coaches. We look back at Hurley's successes.
EC was a top 100 4* , Jared was a top 100 -4*, Hass was 160 and a 3 * but was injured the year before , missed AAU and was under the radar.
EC bought into the Hurley dream and guaranteed playing time, Jared left and came back, Hurley had been recruiting Hass for years.
Harris is an outlier, not the rule of thumb. We were in early with him, " before I got good" I think his quote was and it
meant something to him. He is the exception. Most kids are going the other way especially if its the ACC or the Big ten.
I think Naheem told both schools he was coming until the last minute because he wanted the pressure to go away.
Then he's left to make one phone call to Rhody and say I changed my mind I'm going to FSU, good bye. Done
no conflict, no long painful conversations. Over. and out. I think at one point he was coming here but the attraction of
the ACC was too strong and eventually it won him over. There may be a JT scenario if FSU gets Wiseman or
he might be too embarrassed to leave. Who knows. Anyway time to move on. Maybe a solid Transfer but we definitely
don't need another project.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago We went 0-3 against the Big east and 2 ACC teams. Not for a lack of effort on the Coaches. We look back at Hurley's successes.
EC was a top 100 4* , Jared was a top 100 -4*, Hass was 160 and a 3 * but was injured the year before , missed AAU and was under the radar.
EC bought into the Hurley dream and guaranteed playing time, Jared left and came back, Hurley had been recruiting Hass for years.
Harris is an outlier, not the rule of thumb. We were in early with him, " before I got good" I think his quote was and it
meant something to him. He is the exception. Most kids are going the other way especially if its the ACC or the Big ten.
I think Naheem told both schools he was coming until the last minute because he wanted the pressure to go away.
Then he's left to make one phone call to Rhody and say I changed my mind I'm going to FSU, good bye. Done
no conflict, no long painful conversations. Over. and out. I think at one point he was coming here but the attraction of
the ACC was too strong and eventually it won him over. There may be a JT scenario if FSU gets Wiseman or
he might be too embarrassed to leave. Who knows. Anyway time to move on. Maybe a solid Transfer but we definitely
don't need another project.
Hey Chico, I hear ya on that. This does sting, Mcleod could have committed to Rhody, then later decommitted and went to a P5 or FSU in spring (i know this is all hypothetical) but just saying the sting could be worse
0 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

I like the positivity, Process... It's not every day that a 7 footer comes to Rhody so I'm a bit depressed. I would just hate for all of us to get back in that "settling mindset" where our class is "good enough" to win the A-10. We were heading towards bigger and better days than that. Again, it's on this group and Cox to win and keep the name relevant to sustain the upward trajectory.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

MegaRamFan2 wrote: 5 years ago I like the positivity, Process... It's not every day that a 7 footer comes to Rhody so I'm a bit depressed. I would just hate for all of us to get back in that "settling mindset" where our class is "good enough" to win the A-10. We were heading towards bigger and better days than that. Again, it's on this group and Cox to win and keep the name relevant to sustain the upward trajectory.
I got a few min, so here's the class by class breakdown from 247:

2013: 63rd nationally, 2nd in A10
#97 EC, #160 Hassan

2014: 63rd nationally, 4th in A10
#64 Terrell, #257 Garrett, Watson - unranked

2015: 115th nationally, 5th in A10
#232 Butts, #433 Thompson

2016: 80th nationally, 5th in A10
#267 Layssard, #273 Dowtin, #287 Tertsea, #326 Langevine

2017: 139th nationally, 9th in A10
#198 Russell

2018: 49th nationally, 1st in A10
#82 Harris, #215 Tate, #220 Martin, Silverio - unranked

2019: 55th nationally, 1st in A10
#193 Hammond, #230 Long, #330 Mading

Hammond, Long and Mading are the 7th, 12th and 16th highest rated recruits we have ever gotten.

If we have gotten to a level where this type of class is a disappointment/settling, then we are in far better shape than we think
9 x
---
---
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

I think you must of meant Hammond, Long and Mading are the 7th, 12th and 16th highest rated recruits we have gotten since 2013. Can't believe they would rank that high all time.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
MegaRamFan2 wrote: 5 years ago I like the positivity, Process... It's not every day that a 7 footer comes to Rhody so I'm a bit depressed. I would just hate for all of us to get back in that "settling mindset" where our class is "good enough" to win the A-10. We were heading towards bigger and better days than that. Again, it's on this group and Cox to win and keep the name relevant to sustain the upward trajectory.
I got a few min, so here's the class by class breakdown from 247:

2013: 63rd nationally, 2nd in A10
#97 EC, #160 Hassan

2014: 63rd nationally, 4th in A10
#64 Terrell, #257 Garrett, Watson - unranked

2015: 115th nationally, 5th in A10
#232 Butts, #433 Thompson

2016: 80th nationally, 5th in A10
#267 Layssard, #273 Dowtin, #287 Tertsea, #326 Langevine

2017: 139th nationally, 9th in A10
#198 Russell

2018: 49th nationally, 1st in A10
#82 Harris, #215 Tate, #220 Martin, Silverio - unranked

2019: 55th nationally, 1st in A10
#193 Hammond, #230 Long, #330 Mading

Hammond, Long and Mading are the 7th, 12th and 16th highest rated recruits we have ever gotten.

If we have gotten to a level where this type of class is a disappointment/settling, then we are in far better shape than we think
Did you note that there are many more recruits that will be signed and we will drop way down when the 2019 class is complete. Those stats favor quantity over quality. Give me Fatts over these three any day of the week-I get it is easy to say that now. I think it is fair for people to be disappointed. There is nothing that screams we have someone that will come in and be an impact player. On the other side the 2016 class which doesn’t look anywhere near being the 80th best class ended up being a great class for us because we got two top end players in Dowtin and Cyril. Just as people hate hearing others complain on the board on how much we failed with this class it goes the other way also as many get tired of being told how great this class and being one of the best in school history. I guess we need this play out and see if we can get a transfer at some point.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

79RhodyFan wrote: 5 years ago I think you must of meant Hammond, Long and Mading are the 7th, 12th and 16th highest rated recruits we have gotten since 2013. Can't believe they would rank that high all time.
for as long as 247 has been tracking recruits, they are.

https://247sports.com/college/rhode-isl ... eRecruits/
0 x
---
---
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Sucks to miss on all 3 of your top targets, but Hammond was a clutch rebound from Bishop. Hopefully we find one here for the C positon
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McLeod doesn't want to be here. Time for us to move on and put him in the rear view mirror never giving him another thought.
6 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago This will be fun. Giving Hurley credit for landing 100% of recruits he doesn't recruit. Hurley would have got that guy. Hurley would have won that game. so on and so on.
I bet $1mm that Hurley would have lost the Harvard game if he was coaching it. In Cox We Trust!!!
Why do you say that? Now we are just being ridiculous. I like Cox, but what has he done to show that he made adjustments that Hurley wouldn’t? Hurley may not be a great X and O guy, but he puts a fire under a program which he did at Wagner, URI and now Uconn. Cox is a smart guy that players really like and I agree with other people that not getting these recruits has more to do with where we stand as a program than Cox. The bottom line is he will need recruits to win and the 2019 class doesn’t appear to have anyone that can make a major impact. We are leaning on Dowtin, Fatts and Cyril with some help from Thompson. When they graduate is when it will be interesting. I still believe in the freshman and expect some of them will come along as the year progresses. We won’t have a class like 2018 every year so hopefully we can find a transfer with experience.
Because until he had 6 seniors, his teams lost many more close games than they won. Not saying anything that isn’t backed by history, fact, his first 5 seasons had many last possession losses. I think Hurley did amazing things for our program, but winning close games were not his thing until last season.
1 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Hurley was 1-5 vs PC even Jim Baron had more success against our in-state rival. At least a couple of his PC losses were close games that we had our chances to win.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

Because until he had 6 seniors, his teams lost many more close games than they won. Not saying anything that isn’t backed by history, fact, his first 5 seasons had many last possession losses. I think Hurley did amazing things for our program, but winning close games were not his thing until last season.
Amen.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Be interesting to follow MCLeods career . Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be a beast
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's really not the end of the world.

Gregory Hammond is rated as THE BEST player in Louisiana.

I mean, c'mon.

Do make any definitive decisions on whether our freshman are going to pan out now is really ignorant.

3 games in and people are giving up.

Relax.
1 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Be interesting to follow MCLeods career . Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be a beast
He'll end up just like Koumadje, who in his senior year this year is finally on court for 40% of the game. What a waste. He's choosing to ride the bench behind Koprivica for 4 years. They probably told him Koprivica will play some 4, but there aren't many 6'11 4 men in college these days so I highly doubt it.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

**yawn**

onto the next. Most of our best players have been underrated... numbers/rankings aren't everything.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Anthony Edwards just reclassified to 2019, making him the #1 player in the class. Florida State is high on his list. He's a Guard but FSU already has 5 commitments for '19. If it all works out, FSU could have the #1 class in the country.
0 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago It's really not the end of the world.

I mean, c'mon.

Do make any definitive decisions on whether our freshman are going to pan out now is really ignorant.

Relax.
Nobody is giving up. But I don't think we have the luxury of just brushing off losing top 100 recruits and 7 footers who would make a huge impact in the A-10. These guys have nothing to do with this season so I don't understand how any of the posts could be viewed as "giving up." Our best freshmen class in a long time are here now and on the verge of being impact players, but sustained success is what I think we would all love to be a part of as fans.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago McLeod doesn't want to be here. Time for us to move on and put him in the rear view mirror never giving him another thought.
In the context of this thread, that is pure comedy!
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Mongo wrote: 5 years ago Because until he had 6 seniors, his teams lost many more close games than they won. Not saying anything that isn’t backed by history, fact, his first 5 seasons had many last possession losses. I think Hurley did amazing things for our program, but winning close games were not his thing until last season.
Its almost as if winning games with a bad team is harder then winning games with a good team!
3 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago It's really not the end of the world.

I mean, c'mon.

Relax.
I live in Texas and go to Louisiana every 6 weeks for work. I’ve talked to people that really follow HS BB there and have been told he is a VERY good player. He truly is thought of a The best in the state, and is the type of player we want. He’s a very hard worker, talented and really good teammate. I’m good with that.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Florida State)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yeah, those same people said the same things about Layssard...
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 5 years ago I think you must of meant Hammond, Long and Mading are the 7th, 12th and 16th highest rated recruits we have gotten since 2013. Can't believe they would rank that high all time.

Proves how awful the ratings are
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago

Proves how awful the ratings are
Or how bad our recruiting was prior to Hurley.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, those same people said the same things about Layssard...
I thought the consensus on Layssard was that he dominated an inferior level of competition, looked great doing it but nobody could really be sure what he’d look like against better competition. Hammond has at least played in a better level of high school ball (from what I understand) and also played in very competitive AAU circuits, so it isn’t like nobody had seen him against other good players - as was the case with Layssard.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Mongo wrote: 5 years ago Because until he had 6 seniors, his teams lost many more close games than they won. Not saying anything that isn’t backed by history, fact, his first 5 seasons had many last possession losses. I think Hurley did amazing things for our program, but winning close games were not his thing until last season.
Its almost as if winning games with a bad team is harder then winning games with a good team!
And Cox’s first win comes on a low probability shot made by a player who ignored the play call, but he gets the credit- and, quite sincerely, good for him. There’s just not much real narrative to be had when you’re talking about such small sample sizes, but amen or whatever. Win or lose, Cox coached a great game against Harvard. He controlled what he could, which is all a coach can do. I’m glad they got it because I think it’s going to look better and better as the season goes on.
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
And Cox’s first win comes on a low probability shot made by a player who ignored the play call, but he gets the credit- and, quite sincerely, good for him. There’s just not much real narrative to be had when you’re talking about such small sample sizes, but amen or whatever. Win or lose, Cox coached a great game against Harvard. He controlled what he could, which is all a coach can do. I’m glad they got it because I think it’s going to look better and better as the season goes on.
Here comes Ace again with her cape on subtlety defending DH while backhand complimenting Cox.

But amen or whatever....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Can you please block me, DC? And be sure to announce it because it seems to make you feel good.

Backhand compliment?

“Win or lose, Cox coached a great game against Harvard. He controlled what he could, which is all a coach can do.”

Shut up. Please highlight anything you find to be not factual in my post.
7 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: how DARE you mongo, why aren't you rewriting history?? Hurley was undefeated, he was perfect in all metrics. Thank the universe there are certain people around this board to remind us.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I continue to be so embarrassed for you, RR.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Here comes Ace again with her cape on subtlety defending DH while backhand complimenting Cox.

But amen or whatever....
And here comes DC again with their cape on defending Cox' virtue from all real and imagined slights! Especially the imagined ones
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

But amen or whatever....
And here comes DC again with their cape on defending Cox' virtue from all real and imagined slights! Especially the imagined ones
I defend who is here, working for the University.

Ace, BLOCKED.

That did feel good, thank you!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Still a db I see.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Can we keep the posting on this thread to McLeod recruiting?
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Can we keep the posting on this thread to McLeod recruiting?
That ship has sailed.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

! Message from: ATPTourFan
These little personal squabbles won't be permitted moving forward. I am happy to delete any posts that continue such disruptive dialogue.

To "block" another member, click on their name to see their profile and then click the Add Foe link near their avatar. So easy. NO need to announce who you have blocked. We don't care.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not to bust your balls (just an expression) but his first win was a blowout against Bryant.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on guys we are all fans of the same team
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I wish Naheem well.....I stated earlier that I thought he was quite narcissistic in his media persona.....that may have unsettled TruePoint...but I don't really appreciate that type of persona in an athlete.....I follow Fatts on IG and at times I wish he could moderate a bit....I guess I am that old dude chasing away the kids playing football in the street in front of my house....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree on McLeod and Fatts but not on chasing away the kids playing football in the street. The responses you see kids like Fatts get from his connections back home make you realize how distorted some of the influences these kids are under.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

But amen or whatever....
Right. Game winning shots tend to not tell much about a coach at all. First, because there’s a story behind every box score and, second, there aren’t enough of them to say anything meaningful. That’s just math.

Cox already showed his coaching acumen in the game by rallying his guys following a tough road loss and keeping them up and in it when things got a little dicey at the end. Fatts’ shot going in or not, or JT’s last year against SHU, for example, matter because it’s better to win than lose (duh) but don’t say all that much about a coach. Coaches know this, they’re not as thin-skinned as fans. Brad Stevens has talked about this specifically in an interview in the context of his emotionless reaction to a last second Butler win. He already knew his team had played well, win or lose.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Fatts' biggest strength is his confidence; same for his biggest weakness. I think we're going to have to accept the highs and lows that come with that.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I heard from a source today that the staff knew close to a week before that we weren’t getting Naheem. That’s why they were working hard with Walker all during the final week.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago I heard from a source today that the staff knew close to a week before that we weren’t getting Naheem. That’s why they were working hard with Walker all during the final week.
Your source is wrong.
0 x