‘19 F Anthony Walker (Miami ---> Indiana)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘19 MD F Anthony Walker (Offer)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

BC ? You’ve got to be kidding me
0 x
GO RAMS
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

For what it’s worth, Walker’s post today is consistent with DC_URI’s post two days ago. It certainly makes sense if we moved on when we took Marial Mading that we wouldn’t be in his final four or five.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago For what it’s worth, Walker’s post today is consistent with DC_URI’s post two days ago. It certainly makes sense if we moved on when we took Marial Mading that we wouldn’t be in his final four or five.
Agree it seems DC URI was correct.
Walker’s stance when Rhody pushed for a commitment that he was going to take all five visits along with Walker’s tweet that he would make a decision the last week of Oct after the VCU visit didn’t hold up. It could be he received pressure from Miami to make a decision because they have other recruits to pursue. I am not sure why he needed to announce a final four. Also, I would guess that he has already made his decision.

It seems URI wanted to fill specific positions with this class and SG and C were two of the four. Time to get a VC from McLeod.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh well it's obvious AW wants to play in a P5 so we wish him well

Our staff has done great targeting Bishop and Walker then refocusing when they blow us off

Grab MCLeod then that's a very solid back to back classes which sets us up to be top of conf for the next 5 years
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you are saying they looked at how the Walker situation was shaping up and saw the writing on the wall, and they jumped really early on Mading, ok. If you are saying they looked at Mading and Walker, with their respective offer lists and visit schedule, and said Mading is the better player, that’s a much tougher sell.

Is any A10 program going to land a top 100 guy?
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

No one would ever say that Mading > Walker. That's insane.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago No one would ever say that Mading > Walker. That's insane.
It is, and yet...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Not ideal to miss out on your top two targets in the same cycle. McLeod is a must have at this point.
Hard to sugarcoat it- it sucks to not get an official visit from Bishop and to not make Walker’s final four. McLeod seems like a lock, or as much as one can be without actually committing. The positive is that the resulting class potentially has a high ceiling, but there also seems to be a much lower floor.

There’s always two sides to every recruiting story, but I can’t imagine URI cutting him off over a week’s time. With that list, it seems like Walker wants a different path.
You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

When we start winning under a new regime, the recruits will come.
I agree, but you’re the one who yelled at anyone who suggested there might be a transition phase with the change in staff.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ace, where the hell did I say that? You go from a proven head coach to a first time head coach there are going to be some transition pains. It is what it is.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That’s true, and I’m also not at all convinced that if we had the exact same staff as last year that Bishop and Walker would be in this class. Especially Walker, unless Dan had figured a way to get URI into the ACC this offseason. The last class under the old staff was excellent, and they’d had other random hits, but it is revisionist history to make it seem like we were just lining up home run class after home run class every year. This URI class, if it includes McLeod, will be competitive from a ranking standpoint with most classes since Hurley was first hired with the exception of last year. It may not include the one sure-fire guy like an EC or Jared, but as an overall class it is pretty good. It reminds me a bit of the 2016 class - we took four guys and half of them hit. Ideally you’d prefer that you get at least something from all of the guys but if two of these guys are potential all-league players going into their junior years then we will be in good shape.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago That’s true, and I’m also not at all convinced that if we had the exact same staff as last year that Bishop and Walker would be in this class. Especially Walker, unless Dan had figured a way to get URI into the ACC this offseason. The last class under the old staff was excellent, and they’d had other random hits, but it is revisionist history to make it seem like we were just lining up home run class after home run class every year. This URI class, if it includes McLeod, will be competitive from a ranking standpoint with most classes since Hurley was first hired with the exception of last year. It may not include the one sure-fire guy like an EC or Jared, but as an overall class it is pretty good. It reminds me a bit of the 2016 class - we took four guys and half of them hit. Ideally you’d prefer that you get at least something from all of the guys but if two of these guys are potential all-league players going into their junior years then we will be in good shape.
This is where perception has been altered around here. That 2016 class had four players between 267 and 326 according to 247Sports. This class has 3 top 200 players and one in that 300 range. Hopefully we hit on 3 of the 4 with the increased talent.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yes, totally agree with you that on paper this class is better. I was just making the point that if we end up with a Jeff and a Cyril out of this class, and maybe the other two guys turn into a TJ (have always like him as a comp for long) and an Akele (think he’s the floor for Mading) then this class will end up being a key part of multiple really good URI teams.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Yes, totally agree with you that on paper this class is better. I was just making the point that if we end up with a Jeff and a Cyril out of this class, and maybe the other two guys turn into a TJ (have always like him as a comp for long) and a Akele (thing he’s the floor for Mading) then this class will end up being a key part of multiple really good URI teams.
Completely agree, that’s a reasonable take for sure.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago That’s true, and I’m also not at all convinced that if we had the exact same staff as last year that Bishop and Walker would be in this class. Especially Walker, unless Dan had figured a way to get URI into the ACC this offseason. The last class under the old staff was excellent, and they’d had other random hits, but it is revisionist history to make it seem like we were just lining up home run class after home run class every year. This URI class, if it includes McLeod, will be competitive from a ranking standpoint with most classes since Hurley was first hired with the exception of last year. It may not include the one sure-fire guy like an EC or Jared, but as an overall class it is pretty good. It reminds me a bit of the 2016 class - we took four guys and half of them hit. Ideally you’d prefer that you get at least something from all of the guys but if two of these guys are potential all-league players going into their junior years then we will be in good shape.
This is a fair point. If we hit on two of the four recruits if we land McLeod it will be a successful class. It isn’t inconceivable that Hammonds is on the same level as Bishop. He has just played lower level competition to this point.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That is true I think with this solid 4 man class there is a shot that all 4 can be contributors to solid teams in their time at URI.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Yes, totally agree with you that on paper this class is better. I was just making the point that if we end up with a Jeff and a Cyril out of this class, and maybe the other two guys turn into a TJ (have always like him as a comp for long) and an Akele (think he’s the floor for Mading) then this class will end up being a key part of multiple really good URI teams.
I know this is not on topic but I have always compared Akele to Milosevich. I think Milosevich was a bit better. For some reason I feel Akele digressed each year and was barely useful last year. Echos of Akeem Richmond. Akele was like a 40% 3point shooter his freshman year.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Ace, where the hell did I say that? You go from a proven head coach to a first time head coach there are going to be some transition pains. It is what it is.
Your numerous posts that gave Dave credit for almost everything that happened regarding recruiting the last few years and insisting that it would just be more of the same. He’s your guy, I get it.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

It is more of the same.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Ace, where the hell did I say that? You go from a proven head coach to a first time head coach there are going to be some transition pains. It is what it is.
Your numerous posts that gave Dave credit for almost everything that happened regarding recruiting the last few years and insisting that it would just be more of the same. He’s your guy, I get it.
Yes, as much as DH is yours, to a nauseating degree, at this point.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Imagine explaining to the Board in 2011 or 2012 that there would be a battle between a Dan Hurley surrogate and a David Cox surrogate in a recruiting thread for a top 100 forward who chose to go with the ACC over URI.

October 2018: "Oh yea, then Hurley took the job at UConn...."

April 2011: "BACK UP. BACK UP. URI MADE THE TOURNAMENT AND WON GAMES!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?????? TWO YEARS IN A ROW??!?!?!?!?"
5 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Miami
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Walker and Wong are the start of a nice class for Miami.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am glad it isn’t Pitt. He was never going to pick Rhody over Miami. He chased the best P5 team that wanted him.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Maybe Pitt will get Wahab? Or somebody, anybody?

My guess for Wahab is Georgetown, though.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘19 MD F Anthony Walker (Miami Commit)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From Walker on choosing Miami.
“They also talked about all the guys they sent to the NBA and how I reminded them of some of those guys and just said that if I keep working hard, that I can end up playing at that level.”
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago From Walker on choosing Miami.
“They also talked about all the guys they sent to the NBA and how I reminded them of some of those guys and just said that if I keep working hard, that I can end up playing at that level.”
Kids eat up that bullshit recruiting pap about playing in the league like it's ice cream. It's sell me on my own dream kind of stuff.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

F that #GoRhody
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not starting for Brewster. Avg 13 minutes per game.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Apparently he is there for the practice 🤷‍♂️
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Seems like our new Ant Walker may be the answer to losing this Ant Walker
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Seems like our new Ant Walker may be the answer to losing this Ant Walker
Honestly, I saw this title and thought, "what the heck happened" then I realized it was a different Walker
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Another kid I think that may hit the portal.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How he do this year ?? Stats ??
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

He knew what he was getting into when he went to the ACC
1 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

reef wrote: 4 years ago How he do this year ?? Stats ??
Hardly any stats.
0 x
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

He would have to sit tho. With the new rule you will only be eligible if you haven't transferred before.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago Another kid I think that may hit the portal.
What are you basing this on? Your gut reaction? Pretty weak speculating that a kid is going to transfer unless you have some facts to support it.
2 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
What are you basing this on? Your gut reaction? Pretty weak speculating that a kid is going to transfer unless you have some facts to support it.
Isn’t that what message boards are for?

He hardly played. He was promised a starting spot.

Based on how kids seem to be responding to lack of PT, I think he may transfer.

Keywords - I THINK
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago

Keywords - I THINK
Somewhat fair, but 12 minutes a game as a Freshman in the ACC isn’t that bad. Who knows what his development and teams plans for next year are m. I don’t
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Keywords - I THINK
He was promised a starting spot??? What is your source for that - Walker, his Coach, media that cover U Miami BB? You are just making this up. I would bet he wasn’t promised a starting spot. College coaches don’t do that.

He averaged 13 minutes/game as a Freshman.

Your speculative transfer list would include every Fr that didn’t have good stats or a lot of playing time.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Isn't that what Jacob got this season here? 13 minutes a game?

Does that mean he wants out?

I hope the hell not.

Actually he probably got more than he would have, if Tate had stayed.
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Keywords - I THINK
He was promised a starting spot??? What is your source for that - Walker, his Coach, media that cover U Miami BB? You are just making this up. I would bet he wasn’t promised a starting spot. College coaches don’t do that.

He averaged 13 minutes/game as a Freshman.

Your speculative transfer list would include every Fr that didn’t have good stats or a lot of playing time.
He played zero minutes today.

Miami promised him he’d start. That’s from his HS coach. I saw the kid play a lot in high school, lived 10-15 minutes away so I somewhat know his coaches and family.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Isn't that what Jacob got this season here? 13 minutes a game?

Does that mean he wants out?

I hope the hell not.

Actually he probably got more than he would have, if Tate had stayed.
This is no offense to Jacob’s potential - but I don’t think he gets many more minutes on a good team than he did here. His body needs to develop. Walker was ready day one physically to play a starters role.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Walker was the player I wanted most in last year's recruiting cycle. If it happens, he will get lots of attention.

Bryce Aiken just appeared in the portal. Interesting, but will likely get P5 looks.
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

I thought Aiken has been in the portal all season.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago I thought Aiken has been in the portal all season.
Your prob thinking of Seth Towns who put his name in the portal earlier In the year
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Maybe just new to me. Likely going to Kentucky
0 x
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

With the Ivy League not allowing 5th year players it was known all year that Bryce Aiken would end up in the portal. He most likely just got final confirmation that he would be graduating on time and therefore is eligible to put himself into the portal
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago
Your prob thinking of Seth Towns who put his name in the portal earlier In the year
You’re right. I stand corrected.
0 x