GW Athletic Department Issues

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
STC
Cuttino Mobley

GW Athletic Department Issues

Unread post by STC »

Not sure if this was already posted here but interesting stuff on the departures of GW AD Patrick Nero and former men’s basketball coach Mike Lonergan.

https://deadspin.com/the-real-story-beh ... 1830223615
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: GW Athletic Department Issues

Unread post by SGreenwell »

STC wrote: 5 years ago Not sure if this was already posted here but interesting stuff on the departures of GW AD Patrick Nero and former men’s basketball coach Mike Lonergan.

https://deadspin.com/the-real-story-beh ... 1830223615
Hell of a long read. Had to stop in the middle, but immediately got sucked back in.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Update: GW has started the season 0-4, and as I'm watching, they're down 40-6 against South Carolina. Fun times!
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

That is quite the story. Looks like Lonergan might have been totally screwed over by the AD.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

How the university president allowed this to get to this point is beyond belief.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I remember when Kilgore’s story came out in the WP and Lonergan’s dismissal, and I remember thinking what an a-hole Lonergan was based on the WP story and some other stuff that came out around that time, and thinking GW was crazy for waiting so long to dump him. I’m glad I read this, because I’d have gone the rest of my life thinking what a jerk Lonergan was - not that I thought about it a lot, but if he ever resurfaced somewhere I’d have thought the school that hired him was craven and despicable. I’m sure that a big part of this story coming out is an effort by his camp to rehab his image so you have to take that into account when evaluating the info in it, but it’s hard not to read that and at least consider the possibility that this dude legitimately did nothing wrong and got completely railroaded and ruined by a piece of shit in Nero. Even if Lonergan was more culpable than this story made him seem, he still got screwed over and I feel badly for him.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah what a mess this is after I just read it. What a scum this AD Nero turned out to be and sounds like Coach L got a raw deal. Sucks for them and the A10
0 x