Freshmen Performance

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Freshmen Performance

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There have been post throughout the game threads expressing concern about the Freshmen’s performance over the first three games. I understand the concern but it is way too early. Harris and Tate have both had injuries. I went back and looked at the start of Hassan’s and Jeff’s Freshmen years (a big and a G).
Hassan scored more than 6 points once in his first 15 games. He had 2 or less in 8 of those games.
Jeff scored in one game of the first 8 games his Fr year. He had 1 assist in those 8 games.

I know Hass and Jeff were under different circumstances but I remember Jeff struggling when he played early in that year. We all know how that year turned out for Jeff. I will never forget him leading Rhody to the win vs Creighton in the Tournament. He had 23 points on 6-8 FG and 10-10 FT. They kept fouling the Fr down the stretch and he kept hitting everyone.

Let’s see how this year’s Freshmen are doing in the A10 regular season. That is a more realistic time for us to see them turning the corner on the learning curve.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Re: Freshmen Performance

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Good post. They all have a long way to go, this is just the start of their respective college careers. To me they all seem to have the bodies that will continue to develope along with their patience and overall game knowledge. Not too mention they will get use to playing in front of large noisy crowds in bigger arenas. Hey if they can get starters out of two of the four recruits along with two decent bench players I’ll be happy.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

agreed.

the chicken little's need to back away from the ledge.

They also forget that these freshmen are stepping into a team with 3 returning regulars and a new coach/system to learn. I dont see how anyone could've reasonably expected anything other than a good amount of confusion and growing pains from everyone, not just freshmen this season.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Be patient with the Freshmen and also the players who were not starters last year
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think everyone is in a good place right now. Really 2 weeks to prepare for things to get a little more challenging for this team.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Freshmen are freshmen. There are typically always going to be growing pains and inconsistency early on. Be patient. Back off on criticizing them and let them develop with time.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......well, from previous posts I put up here, I have expected more from the freshmen even at this early point......that is clearly on me.......I need to dial it back a bit, and let them evolve and develop as college players, I did not expect them(Harris)to dominate as they did in previous stops......I apparently did put too much into the flawed prep ratings.......was it Al McGuire that said, “best thing about freshmen is that become sophomores......”?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Was only able to catch the Charlotte game and fell off the daily views of Keanyblue for a couple weeks. Whatis actually going on with Harris injury? When are we expecting him back at 100%? And what are people’s thought on Omar’s play so far ?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I get the understanding towards them developing, but if we want anything to happen in March, we need them to pick up the pace.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I get the understanding towards them developing, but if we want anything to happen in March, we need them to pick up the pace.
Anything happening in March is a bonus.
This team is really being developed to have a great 2019-20 season.

Pick up the pace. We are THREE games into their Freshmen season.
Did you read the Dowtin info? He did nothing at the start. I remember him looking lost out there.
His first March turned out ok.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I get the understanding towards them developing, but if we want anything to happen in March, we need them to pick up the pace.
Christ, it's November not February
3 x
---
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I said pick up the pace, not become first-round picks.
2 x
GO RAMS
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 5 years ago Was only able to catch the Charlotte game and fell off the daily views of Keanyblue for a couple weeks. Whatis actually going on with Harris injury? When are we expecting him back at 100%? And what are people’s thought on Omar’s play so far ?

From what I see, Omar is not quick enough to guard A10 players. Seems to often force others to "help", leaving others open.

Don't know how you can teach quickness.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Is it fair to have our freshman coach part of this thread?
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

in the words of EPMD - you gots to chill
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Personally, I'm not concerned with their current performances, even though there are clearly areas where they need improvement, because of the very fact that they are indeed Freshman. I'm more interested with seeing how their development comes along. I want to see Coach Cox develop these players much in the same way Dan did with his...or do even better. In my opinion, this is a very big year for the program. It's a tone setter for Cox. He has an opportunity to show recruits, current players, & fans that he is more than capable of being a really good head coach that's capable of running a competitive program/team. We have arguably one of the best Freshman classes we've had since E.C. & Hass and if Cox doesn't show he can develop those guys, it won't be good...on a number of levels. I have no idea how well Cox will do this season. I have to admit that I'm on the fence, but eternally hopeful that the program can and will continue without skipping a beat for once...

For me a big development marker will be how the Freshman have progressed by the time the Holy Cross game comes around.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I'll make my evaluation after OOC. Yes, i would want to see a gradual progression, but i'm not going to be on Cox if these kids aren't where apparently some KBers think they should be in Dec. Rhody83 is spot on about dowtin and his freshman year. Now he is an absolute stud

folks here really need to relax, the anxiety and urgency you havd in my opnion is ridiculous. I hope the frosh are more comfortable by conf time
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Harris and Tate are both playing thru their injuries. Tate’s minutes have been limited. Expected to be ok in a few weeks.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Everyone was going crazy when Hurley left fearing that we may lose this great class if Cox wasn't hired. Well he was and we didn't and some of you are beginning to panic with their performance. Reserve your judgement for at least 10 -12 games before you give up on this class. And to quote the great Al McGuire, "the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores".
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agreed it's too early to judge and they are off very slow

I think Martin is the furthest along and I expect him to have a couple breakout games soon

Not sure what to make of Harris can't stand him missing layups and making dumb fouls.

Tate and Silverio look to be the 8th and 9th men in the rotation
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Just to clarify so we're all on the same page, did Al McGuire ever have a pearl of wisdom, an anecdote, saying, or something along those lines about freshmen and sophomores?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Just to clarify so we're all on the same page, did Al McGuire ever have a pearl of wisdom, an anecdote, saying, or something along those lines about freshmen and sophomores?
......is my post above the one by Al?......I think so, not sure......I doubt it would be in Bartletts.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Well it's just been brought up at least twice in this thread alone, a handful of times recently and who knows how many times over the life of the board, so I was just trying to have a bit of fun about it. Of course I'm a sarcastic asshole so my version of fun might be different from how other people define the word fun
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......I am waiting for someone to ask......who is Al McGuire......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......I am waiting for someone to ask......who is Al McGuire......
Wasn't that the guy who hit all those home runs?
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No question it is reasonable that we give freshman time to mature, though that comment applies to all freshmen everywhere. Since URI lost some 73% of last season's scoring power, this season's performance will be more dependent on the freshman compared to other A-10 schools. For example, Saint Joseph's with several returning veterans is not so dependent on freshman and, in fact, the Hawks have only one freshman, 5-10 guard Jared Bynum and he has made a big contribution already - in his PT of 171 minutes, Bynum has scored 54 points, snagged 16 rebounds and has a 5.7 Assist/TO ratio. That compares quite favorably to the combined play of URI's four freshman - 172 minutes, 34 points, 35 rebounds and 1.75 A/TO ratio (Harris not included in the A/TO stat). There are other examples of notable freshman play in the A-10 so far. We are in a competitive battle, so how the freshmen develop counts.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago No question it is reasonable that we give freshman time to mature, though that comment applies to all freshmen everywhere. Since URI lost some 73% of last season's scoring power, this season's performance will be more dependent on the freshman compared to other A-10 schools. For example, Saint Joseph's with several returning veterans is not so dependent on freshman and, in fact, the Hawks have only one freshman, 5-10 guard Jared Bynum and he has made a big contribution already - in his PT of 171 minutes, Bynum has scored 54 points, snagged 16 rebounds and has a 5.7 Assist/TO ratio. That compares quite favorably to the combined play of URI's four freshman - 172 minutes, 34 points, 35 rebounds and 1.75 A/TO ratio (Harris not included in the A/TO stat). There are other examples of notable freshman play in the A-10 so far. We are in a competitive battle, so how the freshmen develop counts.
apples and oranges.

its a lot easier to put a freshman in a good spot on a team with an established scheme and older players in defined roles. That lets you put the freshman in a spot where their role is defined and you arent asking them to run before they learn to walk.

similar to Fatts last year and Jeff the year before

What we have this year is a lot of turmoil and unknowns to shake out. Only 3 returning players and a new coach leaves a lot of learning and very little structure for the freshmen to walk in to. This leads to a feeling out process where the team as a whole needs to just get court time together. The more they play, the more everyone gets comfortable, roles begin to be defined and things will fall into place. The freshmen look lost because the situation, and it's normal given the turnover
0 x
---
---
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

I do agree that we need to let the freshmen get comfortable with the system and give them time to develop. Just to set the record straight (and for no other reason) Jeff had a slow start his freshman year because he had an ankle injury just about out of the gate and once he "healed" he started to perform. I also think that Harris is hurt and he will come around just fine...
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago No question it is reasonable that we give freshman time to mature, though that comment applies to all freshmen everywhere. Since URI lost some 73% of last season's scoring power, this season's performance will be more dependent on the freshman compared to other A-10 schools. For example, Saint Joseph's with several returning veterans is not so dependent on freshman and, in fact, the Hawks have only one freshman, 5-10 guard Jared Bynum and he has made a big contribution already - in his PT of 171 minutes, Bynum has scored 54 points, snagged 16 rebounds and has a 5.7 Assist/TO ratio. That compares quite favorably to the combined play of URI's four freshman - 172 minutes, 34 points, 35 rebounds and 1.75 A/TO ratio (Harris not included in the A/TO stat). There are other examples of notable freshman play in the A-10 so far. We are in a competitive battle, so how the freshmen develop counts.
apples and oranges.

its a lot easier to put a freshman in a good spot on a team with an established scheme and older players in defined roles. That lets you put the freshman in a spot where their role is defined and you arent asking them to run before they learn to walk.

similar to Fatts last year and Jeff the year before

What we have this year is a lot of turmoil and unknowns to shake out. Only 3 returning players and a new coach leaves a lot of learning and very little structure for the freshmen to walk in to. This leads to a feeling out process where the team as a whole needs to just get court time together. The more they play, the more everyone gets comfortable, roles begin to be defined and things will fall into place. The freshmen look lost because the situation, and it's normal given the turnover
I get your point and truly hope you are correct, but how do you explain Duquesne which has eleven newcomers on the team, certainly not an "established" environment. Sincere Carry, their freshman guard has 98 minutes, 42 points, 8 rebounds and a 22/7 A/TO. Or comparing forwards, the Dukes have 6-10, 235 Austin Rotroff with 50 minutes, 20 points and 11 rebounds versus Jermaine's 46 minutes, 6 points and 14 rebounds.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

I know it seems like ages ago but when discussions about Hurley's successor were taking place, many on this forum talked about this class like it was going to be the next Fab 5. Message boards like this tend to contain a great deal of hyperbole. One day everything is great and the next day the sky is falling. Keep in mind the majority of freshmen are 18 and 19 years of age and are in a drastically new environment. It takes time to adjust. And for what it's worth, last week I was at the Ryan Center for an event and when it concluded Fatts and Tate took about 300 3 pointers each. Not that is so unusual but both are off to below average starts. However, they seem to be putting in the work.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Harris will get his confidence and become a MUCH different player come league play... mark my words, he’ll be a 10ppg 7rpg second half of this season.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Tate's been a little banged up. Once he gets 100 percent he'll be much more of a factor.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago
I get your point and truly hope you are correct, but how do you explain Duquesne which has eleven newcomers on the team, certainly not an "established" environment. Sincere Carry, their freshman guard has 98 minutes, 42 points, 8 rebounds and a 22/7 A/TO. Or comparing forwards, the Dukes have 6-10, 235 Austin Rotroff with 50 minutes, 20 points and 11 rebounds versus Jermaine's 46 minutes, 6 points and 14 rebounds.
I don't follow Duquesne basketball, and could not tell you one thing about their roster or their team.
But one thing I will say is that pecking order can impact stats...
I.E - For URI, Dowtin, Fatts, and Langevine are always going to be 1-2-3 on the court.
That's not going to leave as many shot attempts or points for the people playing next to them, and a lot of times I think players get passive and defer.
That's different than being on a team that doesn't have established veterans and everyone is trying to figure it out as they go.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago
I don't follow Duquesne basketball, and could not tell you one thing about their roster or their team.
But one thing I will say is that pecking order can impact stats...
I.E - For URI, Dowtin, Fatts, and Langevine are always going to be 1-2-3 on the court.
That's not going to leave as many shot attempts or points for the people playing next to them, and a lot of times I think players get passive and defer.
That's different than being on a team that doesn't have established veterans and everyone is trying to figure it out as they go.
RJ glad you agree URI has established veterans on this team. Many don't.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From DiSano’s interview with Thompson:
CD: Recognizing it takes some newcomers longer than others, how do you remember it? When did it begin to click for you? When might it click for these new guys?

CT: I think it will click within a few games honestly for some of them. For some it could take a little longer. It’s all about mindset. How you come into a game: knowing your personnel, knowing the scout.
1 x