'19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Florida State ---> Syracuse)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: '19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Florida State Commit)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago It doesn't matter if this is his first HC position. He took the position at a top A10 school. He knows what's expected.
It’s official, you’re an idiot. *finds mute button*
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Take a breather.
There are plenty of good players in the A10.
We were all excited for McLeod because he is 7’3”.

We have Jeff, Cyril, Fatts, Harris etc.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Teams like Nevada seem to have done well with transfers.... really well in their case....why not us...and we've had some success there recently.

Might be the way to go soon....4 year highly rated recruits look at what's happening with the decline of the A10, and say no thanks.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago It doesn't matter if this is his first HC position. He took the position at a top A10 school. He knows what's expected.
Well his first class is the highest rated class in the conference.

And he kept 3 of the 4 incoming freshman from leaving, including the crown jewel Harris.

So, yeah that about covers and realistic expectations
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
Well his first class is the highest rated class in the conference.

And he kept 3 of the 4 incoming freshman from leaving, including the crown jewel Harris.

So, yeah that about covers and realistic expectations
This is 100% true, as bummed as I am about this we have to keep the right perspective here.
3 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I don’t think high school kids are examining whether the A-10 is down or not. Even if the A-10 was on a good year, we’d still lose the conference argument vs FSU.

We were losing 5 seniors from our rotation to attract the current freshman. We’re potentially losing 0 players from our rotation for next year. Harder sell of immediate playing time.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

URI2006_Andy wrote: 5 years ago I don’t think high school kids are examining whether the A-10 is down or not. Even if the A-10 was on a good year, we’d still lose the conference argument vs FSU.

We were losing 5 seniors from our rotation to attract the current freshman. We’re potentially losing 0 players from our rotation for next year. Harder sell of immediate playing time.

Very astute point. :idea:
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I find it interesting (telling) that FSU’s twitter handle hasn’t event mentioned anything about Mcleod signing.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

But in McLeod's case, he's a center.....he would have played behind Cyril for a year, then probably started the next 3.....

What does he think he's going to do at FSU? Probably get bench burns from sitting for at least a couple of years....
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Moved on from this like weeks ago. Kid got real old fast. Saw him argue on social media a few times that centers do not exist in the game and he is a point forward. He seemed offended by calling him a center. Alot of his workouts was shooting threes and coming off pick and rolls. Kid kind of seems delusional in where he can make a difference at the next level. Imho this is a classic situation where he will get no playing time til at least junior or senior year if he doesnt get recruited over at fsu. His size length and mobility was the only intriguing part. And is still very raw offensively and would primarily be an impact player at the defensive end. Not losing any second of sleep on it. Kid made a huge mistake with falling in love with the recruiting process and the love affair he was receiving from the fan bases. I would put my money on him transferring out before he finishes at fsu.
Last edited by sevegny7 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago I find it interesting (telling) that FSU’s twitter handle hasn’t event mentioned anything about Mcleod signing.
This is extremely telling.. something these kids don’t think of while being blinded by going as high as they can go.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Offer)

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago My Final Prediction — he picks URI tomorrow.
Thanks for your insight. As misguided as it was.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago I find it interesting (telling) that FSU’s twitter handle hasn’t event mentioned anything about Mcleod signing.
This is extremely telling.. something these kids don’t think of while being blinded by going as high as they can go.
I mentioned it earlier. They could care less with very limited activity about him or knowledge. They were right though as they said I can’t see him going to URI or LaSalle over FSU. They are waiting for tomorrow night and Wiseman
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

FSU is literally playing right now. They also can’t comment until they receive a signed LOI.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Coulibaly seems like a much more intriguing prospect.....if we're getting a visit, we've got a shot even though the odds probably aren't good.

If we got him, we could forget about Naheem.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Did he sign his NLI or did he just verbally commit? Because FSU isn't allowed to comment unless he signed a NLI
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

We are on to Cincinnati......lol
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Coulibaly seems like a much more intriguing prospect.....if we're getting a visit, we've got a shot even though the odds probably aren't good.

If we got him, we could forget about Naheem.
No way are we getting him over bigger schools-zero percent. I think it was Rhody83 who said he wouldn’t even make our rotation. We have barely been involved with him also. He is a 6-8 forward that isn’t going to make anyone forget about Naheem McLeod.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
I mentioned it earlier. They could care less with very limited activity about him or knowledge. They were right though as they said I can’t see him going to URI or LaSalle over FSU. They are waiting for tomorrow night and Wiseman
You guys find it telling that they didn't commit a recruiting violation to talk about a player who hasn't signed a LOI yet?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think it’s fair to be a bit concerned we went 0 for 3 on priority targets coming off back to back NCAAs. Saying anyone not named Hurley can’t recruit here is ludicrous though, this staff should be able to recruit at a high level and may need to prove themselves with Ws to win over key decision makers. Onward and upward.
6 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I hope Weissman signs an LOI with FSU tomorrow. It will be the fastest case of being recruited over in NCAA history.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

FSU has a shot of a couple of other higher rank centers as well. We’ll see what happens. Remember last year when Amir Harris bailed when Brendon Adams committed. I think Harris took the spot in an attempt to preempt Adams and when that didn’t work, he left. You may see it again. Stay tuned.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Moved on from this like weeks ago. Kid got real old fast. Saw him argue on social media a few times that centers do not exist in the game and he is a point forward. He seemed offended by calling him a center. Alot of his workouts was shooting threes and coming off pick and rolls. Kid kind of seems delusional in where he can make a difference at the next level. Imho this is a classic situation where he will get no playing time til at least junior or senior year if he doesnt get recruited over at fsu. His size length and mobility was the only intriguing part. And is still very raw offensively and would primarily be an impact player at the defensive end. Not losing any second of sleep on it. Kid made a huge mistake with falling in love with the recruiting process and the love affair he was receiving from the fan bases. I would put my money on him transferring out before he finishes at fsu.
I would have 100% signed up for a 7’4” athlete coming to URI. I have very few issues with this guy as a player, and for the record I am disappointed that he chose FSU over URI. So I’m not pulling some “dodged a bullet” nonsense when I say that I was not at all impressed with this kid during this process. That’s probably the most polite way I can put it.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I love all the about faces on these kids. Oh he's not that good... Bottom line according to our"experts" we are 0 for 3 on our supposed top recruits. So no matter how you spin it if these 3 players were indeed cox's top targets he whiffed.. Not saying kids we get won't succeed but if the whiffs turn out to be better players than our commitments he failed during this cycle.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Moved on from this like weeks ago. Kid got real old fast. Saw him argue on social media a few times that centers do not exist in the game and he is a point forward. He seemed offended by calling him a center. Alot of his workouts was shooting threes and coming off pick and rolls. Kid kind of seems delusional in where he can make a difference at the next level. Imho this is a classic situation where he will get no playing time til at least junior or senior year if he doesnt get recruited over at fsu. His size length and mobility was the only intriguing part. And is still very raw offensively and would primarily be an impact player at the defensive end. Not losing any second of sleep on it. Kid made a huge mistake with falling in love with the recruiting process and the love affair he was receiving from the fan bases. I would put my money on him transferring out before he finishes at fsu.
I would have 100% signed up for a 7’4” athlete coming to URI. I have very few issues with this guy as a player, and for the record I am disappointed that he chose FSU over URI. So I’m not pulling some “dodged a bullet” nonsense when I say that I was not at all impressed with this kid during this process. That’s probably the most polite way I can put it.
Lol show me any spot in that post that says dodged a bullet. Everything I wrote was facts. I would have signed up for him to committ to URI as well especially in the a10 alongside harris and Tate and langevine for a year. I'm saying simply I dont see it at the acc level for him and at fsu. If you actually read what i wrote. So relax your disappointment. I think we will be just fine and the player that fills this spot will do just fine.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I didn’t say that you said that. I was just piggybacking on your post to make my own point. Wasn’t disagreeing with you.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago I love all the about faces on these kids. Oh he's not that good... Bottom line according to our"experts" we are 0 for 3 on our supposed top recruits. So no matter how you spin it if these 3 players were indeed cox's top targets he whiffed.. Not saying kids we get won't succeed but if the whiffs turn out to be better players than our commitments he failed during this cycle.
Reality is most coaches strike out on their top 1-2 recruits annually, swing high but have backup plans at the ready.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

"Agree, Practice players have no fun"

would not be surprised if after all the dust settles he asks for his release...."
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago FSU has a shot of a couple of other higher rank centers as well. We’ll see what happens. Remember last year when Amir Harris bailed when Brendon Adams committed. I think Harris took the spot in an attempt to preempt Adams and when that didn’t work, he left. You may see it again. Stay tuned.
Just what I was thinking.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago I love all the about faces on these kids. Oh he's not that good... Bottom line according to our"experts" we are 0 for 3 on our supposed top recruits. So no matter how you spin it if these 3 players were indeed cox's top targets he whiffed.. Not saying kids we get won't succeed but if the whiffs turn out to be better players than our commitments he failed during this cycle.
Agree Compketely. Now that we missed out on McLeod you hear the statements that it isn’t a big loss or he can’t play at a certain level like the ACC and we didn’t like the way he presented himself. Bottom line is he would have been the best recruit for the 2019 class easily and it was a disappointing class overall without Walker, Bishop or McLeod. I love Coach Cox and the staff, but we just didn’t move the needle this year. I’m still wondering why Tsourgiannis is here.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A lot to read. Some thoughts. I saw Coulibaly yesterday. He isn’t at a D1 level right now. He did very little. The kid covering him from MacDuffie is a 2021. Ty was there. He wasn’t there for Coulibaly. He was watching 2020 Richie Springs who had 18 points and 13 rebounds.

I think Rhody is done with the 2019 class. Unless something pops up in the Spring (a decommit).

They may focus on a transfer. They have an open scholarship now. Could look for a Big transfer to join tge Soph class with Fatts.

Rhody staff was told by McLeod that he was coming to URI. 18 year olds change their minds.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago A lot to read. Some thoughts. I saw Coulibaly yesterday. He isn’t at a D1 level right now. He did very little. The kid covering him from MacDuffie is a 2021. Ty was there. He wasn’t there for Coulibaly. He was watching 2020 Richie Springs who had 18 points and 13 rebounds.

I think Rhody is done with the 2019 class. Unless something pops up in the Spring (a decommit).

They may focus on a transfer. They have an open scholarship now. Could look for a Big transfer to join tge Soph class with Fatts.

Rhody staff was told by McLeod that he was coming to URI. 18 year olds change their minds.
yeah, teens change their minds all the time. maybe thats why he moved his decision from friday to monday. i understand thursday postponing cause of weather, but not friday. maybe he was back and forth with rhody and FSU, who knows. I'm dissappointed but have confidence in cox and staff

i think Hammond will be a surpise recruit with the best upside and potential
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Going from non-circuit aau and lower level high school is not a recipe for success to jump to the acc level especially as a big. Jermaine harris played at a much higher level last year and is having a transition period at the a10. Mcleod will compete for minutes with tons of talent on his own team included with that large jump in talent level up to acc. We will have to put a book mark in this to see where we are at in 4 years.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Rhody staff was told by McLeod that he was coming to URI. 18 year olds change their minds.
Some types of 18 year olds are more likely to change their minds than others. And for the most part, they’ll become the 30 year olds and 45 year olds and 60 year olds that are flaky and unreliable. I really do not like criticizing kids; good kids make mistakes or say or do dumb things, and for the most part I’m accepting of that. But if you’ve been around enough kids you know that there are some deeply ingrained qualities that you don’t necessarily grow out of. I tried to bite my tongue thru this guy’s recruiting process because I didn’t want to do any damage to my team’s chances of getting a 7’4” guy, but I did comment about his maturity at one point (and took shit for it, probably rightfully so). Bishop and Walker chose other schools, and as disappointed as I was I did not think their doing so said anything bad about their character. I don’t think McLeod choosing FSU says anything bad about his character, either. But I think the way he handled the process showed a lack of maturity, and I’m not saying that now because we got spurned, I’m saying it now because there is not a reason for me to not say it anymore.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Rhody staff was told by McLeod that he was coming to URI. 18 year olds change their minds.
Some types of 18 year olds are more likely to change their minds than others. And for the most part, they’ll become the 30 year olds and 45 year olds and 60 year olds that are flaky and unreliable. I really do not like criticizing kids; good kids make mistakes or say or do dumb things, and for the most part I’m accepting of that. But if you’ve been around enough kids you know that there are some deeply ingrained qualities that you don’t necessarily grow out of. I tried to bite my tongue thru this guy’s recruiting process because I didn’t want to do any damage to my team’s chances of getting a 7’4” guy, but I did comment about his maturity at one point (and took shit for it, probably rightfully so). Bishop and Walker chose other schools, and as disappointed as I was I did not think their doing so said anything bad about their character. I don’t think McLeod choosing FSU says anything bad about his character, either. But I think the way he handled the process showed a lack of maturity, and I’m not saying that now because we got spurned, I’m saying it now because there is not a reason for me to not say it anymore.
I totally agree.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

I agree TP, I think a few on here were getting a little tired of the IG live routine with his eye emoji and other things, especially witht he amount of comments ans support for him from Rhody fans. I would have loved to have the kid at rhody, he would have been a tru rim protector, but to ur point the process was not handle with maturity. I get 18 yr olds want to soak it all in with theor recruitment/commitment, but he tended to go a little overboard. I'm not saying this as a bitter rhody fan, just that the constat "talk to me" "ask me questions" almost every other day (except his quiet period last week)

I wish the kid the best, i just feel exhausted how long this went on for
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't know, to me I find it a lot weirder that a bunch of adults are getting so worked up about how a kid acted on Instagram then anything that he may have done. Maybe don't follow a bunch of 18 year olds on social media if you don't like the way they act? I don't follow him so I don't know for sure, but so far I haven't heard anything here that is any different from what most people his age do.
6 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don’t follow him on social media, either, and whatever he posted on twitter or Instagram really doesn’t have anything to do with what my opinion. I’m not sure how you define “worked up,” but I can not care for a person’s vibe pretty casually.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I don't know, to me I find it a lot weirder that a bunch of adults are getting so worked up about how a kid acted on Instagram then anything that he may have done. Maybe don't follow a bunch of 18 year olds on social media if you don't like the way they act? I don't follow him so I don't know for sure, but so far I haven't heard anything here that is any different from what most people his age do.
Yeah, not really worked up Adam. I just unfollowed him, same thing I did with Walker and bishop after we lost out on them, more so of a moving on thing. Not bitter
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I don't know, to me I find it a lot weirder that a bunch of adults are getting so worked up about how a kid acted on Instagram then anything that he may have done. Maybe don't follow a bunch of 18 year olds on social media if you don't like the way they act? I don't follow him so I don't know for sure, but so far I haven't heard anything here that is any different from what most people his age do.
Yeah, not really worked up Adam. I just unfollowed him, same thing I did with Walker and bishop after we lost out on them, more so of a moving on thing. Not bitter
Also to add, I don’t just follow 18 yr olds on IG, only recruits we are pursuing to see if there is any updates or what they share about their visits, etc
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

On the other end of the social media spectrum I follow Martha Stewart on IG. She’s 77 and also a convicted felon.

Come on who cares if someone does or doesn’t follow a recruit/person on social media. It’s everyone’s personal preference.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I admit this one stings a lot

Sucks to go 0-3 on our top targets who we invested so much time in

These kids change their mind and love the P5 even though he gets way more playing time here
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I admit this one stings a lot

Sucks to go 0-3 on our top targets who we invested so much time in

These kids change their mind and love the P5 even though he gets way more playing time here
I don’t know he gets way more playing time here - down the road for sure, but next year he has two starters in his way who will probably get a lot of the minutes. Don’t blame the kid for going to FSU.

We went 0–3 on our big shots with guys who normally wouldn’t pick an A10 school, but we went 3-3 on the rest of our priorities in a year after our best recruiting class in 20 years filled with 4 year players.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm probably not the only one who thinks there's zero chance that Hurley misses out on Bishop, Walker, AND McLeod.

Not a good start.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Offffffah. Ouch
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This will be fun. Giving Hurley credit for landing 100% of recruits he doesn't recruit. Hurley would have got that guy. Hurley would have won that game. so on and so on.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Get the practice facility expedited because obviously, something isn't working. I don't think its Cox either.
0 x
GO RAMS
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Unfollowed.... he only has 258 followers on Twitter, if he likes social media so much all who’s following him should unfollow him. FSU fans don’t even seem to care about him.
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago This will be fun. Giving Hurley credit for landing 100% of recruits he doesn't recruit. Hurley would have got that guy. Hurley would have won that game. so on and so on.
I bet $1mm that Hurley would have lost the Harvard game if he was coaching it. In Cox We Trust!!!
4 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago This will be fun. Giving Hurley credit for landing 100% of recruits he doesn't recruit. Hurley would have got that guy. Hurley would have won that game. so on and so on.
Its crazy, wasn't the Hurley era successful enough to stand on its own without rewriting history? Hurley missed out on every elite recruit he recruited for the Class of 2015, 2016, and 2017. People should really listen to the interview Cox did with Finkelstein last year, especially when he talks about staggering classes and that was under Hurley.
3 x