11/16 | Harvard Crimson | 7PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Re: 11/16 Harvard

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Guys, option number one was covered and there were under 4 seconds left on the clock !! What else would you have had him do ??? He was open so he took the shot. As for his comments he made the same type of statement to Hurley a number of times....He is super confidant and it is a good thing for us that he is...
1 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I will rewatch the end of the game. I don't think Fatts ever even looked for Jeff on the last play.

The possession before Jeff came off a screen and Fatts waived him away.
Then Fatts bounced the ball of his leg. Jeff grab it at half court and heaved it as the shot clock expired.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Judging from this thread we are more active in the face of adverse comments than laudatory ones. Case in point, I earlier I posted a write-up from the game in the Harvard Crimson student newspaper which offered a positive view of the Ryan Center crowd and only one poster, hrstrat57, bothered to comment positively about it as compared to the 30+ posts on Koch's dim lighting comments.

I found the Harvard perspective much more illuminating. Let's face it, last week the Crimson had an A-10 week; on Tuesday they played at UMass and won a close game before a somnambulant crowd of 2,645, then on Friday they lost a close game before a frenzied Ryan center crowd of 5,494. The Harvards were impressed with the difference as we should also be.
I agree with this. This is the way it normally works though, which is why Sports Talk Radio is the way it is. I plead guilty, I was going to comment on the article you posted because it was so well written and complimentary of the Ryan Center which is in stark contrast to what we get from the Projo on a consistent basis. But alas, I did not and I am going to jump on the Koch bashing bandwagon.

I was at the game and it was a very entertaining and fun game. Harvard is a solid team, very well coached and played well. A very good win for a young team still looking to find its way. Give them major props for finding a way to win that game. I was definitely one of the ones not happy that the ball was not in Dowtin's hands for either of the last 2 possessions. In fact the women next to me said I owed Fatts an apology as I was pretty vocal in my displeasure with both of those last two sets as they were occurring. Hey I am glad it worked out, but Fatts was one for his last 18 before he pulled up and drained that one.

Agree with bigappleram and others about Koch. He clearly is no friend of the program and I have no idea why there are so many people on this board who come to his defense. The tweet was ridiculous but his comment about the recruits and the Ryan Center fans being "relieved" are also very telling. That crowd was not "relieved" that Rhody won the game, it was an excited and jubilant crowd. And he takes the number 1 recruiting class in the A10, uses some outdated recruiting rankings and makes it sound like they are all crappy recruits. Mentions 2 stars for 2 of them and of course that they missed out on their top choices. Would be really hard to slant that article about the recruits any more negatively than Koch did. But it is what I have to come to expect. Nice to get this kind of garbage from the beat reporter.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Please point me to any job description for a beat writer or sports journalist that says they should be a friend of the program they're covering
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago The Harvard Crimson's write-up on game:

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018 ... -urigamer/
Love these comments:

The boisterous Ryan Center crowd in Kingston, R.I., who had minutes earlier erupted in bedlam after the Russell dagger, joyfully exited the arena as its school’s basketball captured win number two on the season. The announced attendance of 5,494 was by far the largest away crowd that the Crimson had to battle outside of the Palestra and last year’s Kentucky contest at Rupp Arena in recent memory.

People tend to not talk much about FT Shooting unless it is bad....................

The aforementioned Russell will likely receive the majority of the social media buzz through “the three”, but perhaps equally as critical was his 8-for-8 free throw shooting on the night for the Rams (2-1).

Love this comment about URI having 2 combo guards. Who says we need to say which one it the PG and which one is the SG - let the opposition guess :D

Rhode Island’s shifty combo guards Fatts Russell and Jeff Dowtin posed issues for Harvard defensively, with the two blowing by the Harvard defense throughout the contest. Coach Amaker implored his team to switch men and support defensive coverage as the duo combined for 25 points in the half. Dowtin was particularly lethal, knocking down six out of seven field goal attempts.

“[URI] has two very aggressive guards who are very fast and savvy with the ball,” Djuricic said. “When it came to guarding the pick-and-roll, sometimes we had some flat feet. Then we gave them a full head of steam, it was tough to guard them.”
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Please point me to any job description for a beat writer or sports journalist that says they should be a friend of the program they're covering
You're right, that isn't his job. It also isn't his job to criticize our fan base, especially when there was record attendance last year at the RC. And it is his job to report facts and he is lacking in that area.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

He posted several quotes from last year where he praised the attendance and the crowd. Is it your position that those quotes were made up or are you ignoring facts?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago He posted several quotes from last year where he praised the attendance and the crowd. Is it your position that those quotes were made up or are you ignoring facts?
Then why the comment on attendance at the Harvard game? What was the point of that?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Obie

I commented positively on the Crimson article....it was very well done...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago A few thoughts

I like the coverage Bill Koch gives us....he is balanced and fair....we need better support and attendance..

I don't like body shaming in any form....it is contemptible...

The article from the Harvard Crimson was very well written....I enjoyed reading it
Sorry, I forgot your input, Ramulous, it was balanced and fair! :D :D
0 x