11/16 | Harvard Crimson | 7PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: 11/16 Harvard

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Tom98 wrote: 5 years ago Martin is getting a lot of minutes but he isn’t even attempting to show any type of offensive game. I think he took 2 total shots tonight. He just passes the ball immediately and plays d. I know he has talent but I’ve watched him 3 straight games now and he refuses to assert himself into the offense. Is it a confidence thing or is coach telling him to just distribute and play D? Omar definitely seems like he wants to be more aggressive offensively but his minutes have been limited and he’s not getting enough touches. Bottom line we need some production out of our freshman. Coach does need to run some plays for them as well. Get their confidence going.
That’s not the game where you run plays for your freshman. We need to run winning plays in games like that. Gradually finding times for your freshman to assert themselves is important though. Would like to see Tate get his confidence up, he appears defeated.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Drove 13 hours in the snow yesterday to get up to RI for the game. Well worth it.
Few comments...
1) Thompson is underrated. What he does for this team continues to remind us of Stan last year. The little things add up. You notice it more in person.
2) Dowtin is a stud (which we all know). The rest of the nation will start to take notice.
3) Team defense was much better than CoC.
4) Fans need to lay off Fatts. Shooters got to shoot. He plays with his heart on his sleeve. That’ll hurt sometimes and carry you other games.
5) Someone mentioned a few days ago that “the team doesn’t seem to trust the freshman”. There were a few times Harris had deep position down low and Silverio was open and Fatts and Dowtin waived them off. They need to start trusting them for this team to succeed.
6) Lastly, I don’t think people are giving Preston enough credit for the last play. You have to have some major athleticism to block a three point attempt when trailing someone from behind. Big ups to that effort.

Heck of a win tonight. Big victory for Rhody nation!
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's a great win for URI

What can you say about Fatts game winner ?? Way to step up and make a shot

Jeff what a freaking game definitely 1st team A10 and who knows maybe a shot at POY ???

Harris I am definitely concerned looks lost out there no confidence and no reason for missing layups. Cox pulled him fast in 2h so he needs to get up to speed

Preston nice hustle out there final play
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
luke wrote: 5 years agoAttendance ?
......I don’t know the number.......I would say good crowd, with energy, students showed up for a Friday nite.......the “helper” for EZ is a struggle to hear/understand, I agree with who ever said on here her voice just does not work in the building PA system......no band......?
Band had their passing and review tonight. It was a planned absence. They’ll be back as normal next game.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Was at the game. Great win.
Some thoughts
Jeff Dowtin is good at everything and was great offensively. Jeff shot 13-19. Only player at 50%
Fatts distributed tha ball well in the first half. He didn’t take an outside shot in the first 10 mins. He had a much better first half. 8-8 FTs was key. He waived Jeff off on second to last possession. Per Cox postgame comments Jeff was suppose to be option 1 on last possession. Fatts shot 5-18/2-9. Loved the 5 Ast, 1 TO & 3 steals
Cyril shot 4-10 and had 7 turnovers. That is 8 points on 17 possessions. I am not sure if offensive fouls are counted in the TOs but he had 2 of those. Poor night offenfor Cyril. Your post player needs to shoot at 60%.
I wish Thompson shot more. He plays a solid game. Another good defensive night.
The FT shooting was awesome 17-21.
Preston played more than Harris.
Rhody had 11 Ast and 11 turnovers (7 by your C). That needs to improve.
Jeff, Fatts, Cyril & Thompson averaged 36 mins. That is more than any player in the last 5 years.
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I was just about to post that. Smart man, that Coach Cox. :D
1 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Genius for Cox to put Ryan in to take advantage of his speed.
If you watch the video it was actually Sutton who argued with Cox to get Preston in there on the inbounder
2 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

what was the attendance?
Do not see it anywhere?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Posted earlier in this thread twice. 5,494 Now three times.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Posted earlier in this thread twice. 5,494 Now three times.
I looked for it on gorhody and couldn't find it either. Thanks.

Your boy is awesome!
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Is there a return game next year?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any way to replay this game?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

From what I can see/speculate, it think Harris is playing hurt. Limping at the end of the Bryant game, riding bike after being subbed out last night, and a general lack of explosiveness. That breakaway dunk last night was telling-he barely got it up over the rim.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago From what I can see/speculate, it think Harris is playing hurt. Limping at the end of the Bryant game, riding bike after being subbed out last night, and a general lack of explosiveness. That breakaway dunk last night was telling-he barely got it up over the rim.
I agree completely. Even know they have very little depth and can’t afford to do this I wouldn’t be surprised if he at least is shutdown for a period of time. I think he needs to be examined to determine if it is something major. He can’t sit down when checking into the game. Not good
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago From what I can see/speculate, it think Harris is playing hurt. Limping at the end of the Bryant game, riding bike after being subbed out last night, and a general lack of explosiveness. That breakaway dunk last night was telling-he barely got it up over the rim.
I agree completely. Even know they have very little depth and can’t afford to do this I wouldn’t be surprised if he at least is shutdown for a period of time. I think he needs to be examined to determine if it is something major. He can’t sit down when checking into the game. Not good
You really think that he hasn’t been thoroughly evaluated by medical staff/doctor.
He is injured. It has been determined that he can play.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hopefully his injury isn't the same one that Cyril had.....if so, that will be an ongoing problem all season.....a partially torn groin won't heal itself most likely, would need surgery....not saying he has that though, don't know.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Hopefully his injury isn't the same one that Cyril had.....if so, that will be an ongoing problem all season.....a partially torn groin won't heal itself most likely, would need surgery....not saying he has that though, don't know.
Cyril’s injury was unusual. Cyril had surgey this summer by the way. He said before the season started this is the first time he has been 100% in over a year.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Why worry, 78, when there's no information about the specifics or even confirmation there is an injury?
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Why worry, 78, when there's no information about the specifics or even confirmation there is an injury?
In 2 out of the 3 practices the media had access to practice, Harris was on the sidelines riding a bike. The last practice that the media was at Harris was a full participant.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
You really think that he hasn’t been thoroughly evaluated by medical staff/doctor.
He is injured. It has been determined that he can play.
Doctors miss thing-my daughter had a fracture that they did x-rays several times and couldn’t find anything. I obviously think that they have examined him and looked at all possibilities, but if he had problems bending down when he is checking into games and looked less than explosive on his dunk than something is wrong. It is painful to watch him right now with the fouls, looking lost and not looking very explosive. There are growing pains for all freshman, but something seems off for a guy that dominated against good competition in high school.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jermaine is fine. Is he 100%, no. But he’s capable.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......nice to have the post game coach’s comments and the Q&A in the radio post game, and it seemed to cover more than a few selected cuts......hope that will continue......away games ?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The shot went in so all is rosy, but we need better decision making from Fatts. He forced way too many shots again last night. Has to pick his spots better and look to play off the ball. Dowtin is turning into a special Ram. That 3 he hit off the dribble was massive obvi. Harris definitely looks less than 100% and all the FR still have the deer in headlights look. That’s fine it will come, I am guessing Martin has the first breakout game for our Frosh. It’s coming. His little floater on the baseline was pretty. CT came out great, doing little bit of everything. Then seemed to disappear and defer the rest of the game. We need more from him to reach our ceiling.
4 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

A couple of thoughts I had:

1. 4 guard lineup was our best lineup yesterday.

2. The big 3 are great competitors. Their resiliency and will to win is on full display.

3. Cyril had 7 turnovers. (7 wild 3 point attempts by Fatts is better than 7 turnovers.) Scary to think how good Cyril can be if he replaces those turnovers with finding cutters or shooters.

4. Jeff’s performance didn’t surprise me. I expect a lot more of those over the next 2 years. Plus, his assists will rise as the freshman learn how to space the floor and find their spots on offense. Also note that Bassey struggled when Jeff was on him. Complete game.

5. Martin gets lost on defense at times but he’s got the talent to be a major factor soon.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago ...The shot went in so all is rosy, but we need better decision making from Fatts. He forced way too many shots again last night.
No such thing! :lol: :lol: Keep firing it up there, Fatts. 30+ point games on the horizon.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Finally had a chance to watch the game. Harvard is a big squad, tons of blocked/altered shots in the paint because of their height. Harris needs the ball more to feel comfortable, let him work. Fatts needs to compose himself because every shot to him is a buzzer beater, but he came around at the right time. I'm impressed with langevines post moves, he loses control sometimes but its working. Downtin is the MVP so far. Harvard looked good, without two players. It's a process fellas, moving in the right direction, on to Stony Brook.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago The shot went in so all is rosy, but we need better decision making from Fatts. He forced way too many shots again last night. Has to pick his spots better and look to play off the ball.
Agreed on this. I posted that the ball in Fatts hand so much was hurting us about a minute before he drained the game winner, so easy to look past it now but I would still prefer the ball in Dowtin's hands more often to start sets. He can still score his points from there and it may help Fatts to.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Does anyone else find it a bit alarming Fatts just flat out ignored Cox’s play and told him he wasn’t going to listen to him as they left the huddle?

Obviously the shot went in and all is well, but am I the only one who doesn’t like a player just straight up ignoring coaches orders, telling the coach that, and then doing their own thing?Next time that shot might not go in...

Just something to ponder.
3 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It was nice to leave the Ryan Center after this type of win given the number of games I have witnessed there that went the other way in the final seconds.
1 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

What an incredible ass hole Koch is with the tweet about the lights going out to hide empty seats. Just a fatter dumber version of McNamara.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Spook wrote: 5 years ago What an incredible ass hole Koch is with the tweet about the lights going out to hide empty seats. Just a fatter dumber version of McNamara.

He’s been a hack ever since he started covering Rhody.

Always looking to bash the program in one way or another.

Never been a fan of him.
0 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Just watched a replay of game on ESPN+. While in the past not impressed with Preston, I must admit his defensive effort and hustle on the last play of game to thwart a Harvard shot was truly outstanding and I watched it over and over.
0 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

He knows nothing about basketball so needs to sprinkle moronic comments about attendance over and over and over. Blocked on Twitter, no more Projo subscription, its a freeing experience. Will Geoghan and Chris DiSano infinitely more knowledgeable and classy, combine them with Nikki and Stone and we have all we need without smarmy jerks from dinosaur “newspaper”.
Last edited by Spook 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago Drove 13 hours in the snow yesterday to get up to RI for the game. Well worth it.
Few comments...
1) Thompson is underrated. What he does for this team continues to remind us of Stan last year. The little things add up. You notice it more in person.
2) Dowtin is a stud (which we all know). The rest of the nation will start to take notice.
3) Team defense was much better than CoC.
4) Fans need to lay off Fatts. Shooters got to shoot. He plays with his heart on his sleeve. That’ll hurt sometimes and carry you other games.
5) Someone mentioned a few days ago that “the team doesn’t seem to trust the freshman”. There were a few times Harris had deep position down low and Silverio was open and Fatts and Dowtin waived them off. They need to start trusting them for this team to succeed.
6) Lastly, I don’t think people are giving Preston enough credit for the last play. You have to have some major athleticism to block a three point attempt when trailing someone from behind. Big ups to that effort.

Heck of a win tonight. Big victory for Rhody nation!
Totally agree with everything, and huge props for making the trek!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Does anyone else find it a bit alarming Fatts just flat out ignored Cox’s play and told him he wasn’t going to listen to him as they left the huddle?

Obviously the shot went in and all is well, but am I the only one who doesn’t like a player just straight up ignoring coaches orders, telling the coach that, and then doing their own thing?Next time that shot might not go in...

Yes, it was fool’s gold. He was 1-18 from three in the last two games at that point. You are down by 1. Get the ball to Dowtin. Jeff drives - could score, get fouled, pass for an easy basket or someone puts in the rebound.

Fatts had just turned it over on the previous possession. Dowtin came of a screen and Fatts waived him off on thst possession.

I hope Cox’s comments to Fatts are different than what he said after to the media. It needs to be another learning experience. My comment would be don’t disregard my instructions again.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI has still not listed an official number for attendance last night. If you go with Koch's number of 5,494 which seems reasonable when compared to the first game crowd number, URI is basically near even with last year's average attendance through two game (LY 5,338 vs TY 5,252). URI averaged just 5,516 for its entire 7 game home slate last season which included a PC sellout. While there will be no sellout this year, there will be two less games with the potential to bring down the number.

As for the lights obscuring the upper deck comment, there seemed to be a lot more up there last night than the Bryant game. Even the upper student section on the north end was most nearly full.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I hate seeing the empty seats in the 200s. Can’t those season ticket holders give their seats to someone or use the ticket exchange and donate them?
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Good win!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Does anyone else find it a bit alarming Fatts just flat out ignored Cox’s play and told him he wasn’t going to listen to him as they left the huddle?

The kid has a small body, but a big head. I love him as a player and he's been great and will continue to be great, but I hope Coach sets his mind right.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I hate seeing the empty seats in the 200s. Can’t those season ticket holders give their seats to someone or use the ticket exchange and donate them?
Not sure of the number of season ticket holders in the 200s/300s but I’m sure not all 200 level seats are season tickets. There were 2 decent size birthday groups in the 200s near me last night- def not season tix.
As for Koch’s tweet about the darkening of the upper sections to hide the emptiness....I initially thought that’s what they were doing also. Things brightened up a minute or 2 later- maybe they forgot to turn them on after pre game intros.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not surprising. but the combined scoring and PT for the incoming freshman has declined with the increase in the quality of the opponents - 72 minutes and 23 points for Bryant game, 49 minutes and 4 points for Harvard. If we don't get more scoring punch from the freshman, team depth will become a problem. Interesting to see how they perform in the next two home games - Stony Brook and Brown.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

We have watched so many end of game situations result in nada over the past 6 years. Or however many years. I have Jimmy Baron's last attempt at Duke playing in my mind.

Nice to see a guy just decide to win the game and do it. I don't want to understand it. Ask what if. I say thanks. Fun night.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Not surprising. but the combined scoring and PT for the incoming freshman has declined with the increase in the quality of the opponents - 72 minutes and 23 points for Bryant game, 49 minutes and 4 points for Harvard. If we don't get more scoring punch from the freshman, team depth will become a problem. Interesting to see how they perform in the next two home games - Stony Brook and Brown.
Past few years the Freshman have flourished in December. Will be interesting to see how that goes. Even Jordan Hare had a mini coming out party @PC in December.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Not surprising. but the combined scoring and PT for the incoming freshman has declined with the increase in the quality of the opponents - 72 minutes and 23 points for Bryant game, 49 minutes and 4 points for Harvard. If we don't get more scoring punch from the freshman, team depth will become a problem. Interesting to see how they perform in the next two home games - Stony Brook and Brown.
Past few years the Freshman have flourished in December. Will be interesting to see how that goes. Even Jordan Hare had a mini coming out party @PC in December.
Don’t ever mention Jordan Hare again-lol. One of my least favorite uri players of all time. He was a very good shot blocker, terrible rebounder for his size that never developed any scoring and left and came back what seemed like a million times. He just didn’t want to work for a top 100 talent.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

was at the game last night so just now getting to read all the posts. agree with some...disagree with others.

1) Throwing the ball to Cyril is like throwing it into a black hole. He does have moves and I like the fact that with his back to the basket he seems to be able to turn both left and right. But...he turns the ball over far too often and once he gets it, he's not giving it up.

2) While I'm obviously elated with the result, I don't understand the last 2 plays at all. We get the ball up 1 with 50 seconds to go. Why is Fatts running the offense and not JD? Same with the last play. If what Cox said is true, Fatts' utter disregard for the play call deserves some reprimand. How JD is not running those two plays I'll never know.

3) After the CoC game, I admittedly said Fatts is a shooter, you got to let him shoot. I'm going to disagree with myself. I don't know what his career 3 point shooting percentage is, but I'm guessing it is less than 25 percent. He has had big halves in games, has hit clutch shots, and he's got the stones of a large farm animal, but at this stage of his career he is not a good shooter...not even sure I would call him a streaky shooter. Would love to see him give up some shots and look to get the young guys in the flow.

4) Unfortunately I've only seen the play live so I may be wrong about this, but as soon as the last play for Harvard started, I knew URI made a defensive mistake (whether that was on the floor or called in the huddle I'm not sure). While I believe Ryan made a great play to ultimately block the shot, wasn't it his guy anyway? He followed the inbound pass and let his man run free that's why he was trailing him coming down the floor. After the game, Cox said Amaker ran circles around him on the last play so perhaps he had Ryan going to double the guy that got the inbound pass. In any case, it was a defensive lapse that was covered by Ryan's hustle back down the floor. Based on Cox vague comment, if he is to blame for the lapse, it's more of a bad play call on him than a great play by Amaker.

Despite my critique of Cyril, I do think he has the potential to be a monster in the post. And of Fatts, wouldn't be shocked if he ends up being an A10 player of the year before he graduates. That was one of the more entertaining games from start to end I've seen at the RC in the last 3 years.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’ve got to agree with the consensus. JD should be playing more of the one and Fatts more of the two. Granted they can be interchangeable and they will each play a little of both, JD is just making better decisions now.
0 x