11/16 | Harvard Crimson | 7PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Vinstu
Abdul Fox

Re: 11/16 Harvard

Unread post by Vinstu »

at some point you gotta take fatts out right?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Who would you replace fatts with? So far all the other options are struggling too
0 x
Vinstu
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Vinstu »

At least for a few minutes, put silverio in. Fatts has no offensive flow right now, there’s no reason why dowtin shouldn’t be getting a touch
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Omar has been open but no one is going to him.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We are witnessing the process...these are games we need to have the balls to pull out and win. Harvard is very efficient, and we are keeping pace but the TO’s are mounting and begin to kill us. Cyril needs a better arsenal of moves on the low post. He finds a way to fall or lose the ball 66% of the time.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

These refs must officiate girls games. These are some p***y calls.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It’s Jeff vs Harvard
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Now Jeff is hurt
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Jeff!
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Bad call
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Justice
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think they need to take Fatts off the point for the time being. The ball being in his hands so much is hurting us right now.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

HAHAHA YEAH FATTS!!!
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Wow
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow what a play by Preston! Nice win!
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Great team building W tonight.

Had to fight the whole way and pulled out the close one. Young teams have to learn how to win
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Nice
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Hurley got ejected from his game at the exact same time URI won. Ahh...
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OhioRam32 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Fatts, I love you man, but you’re killing me with the shot selection!
Well there is a reason we love him too :shock: :D
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Steve: Fatts doesn't lack confidence.
Don: Yeah, he has some big ones.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Genius for Cox to put Ryan in to take advantage of his speed.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Atta boy RHODY !
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Nice job winning a close one against a good team.

Just got to get Harris going soon.

What can you say about Jeff Dowtin?

We're basically a 3 man team right now, but when the frosh start contributing more.....we could be pretty good eh?
0 x
PaulieMash
Abdul Fox

Unread post by PaulieMash »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 years ago Hurley got ejected from his game at the exact same time URI won. Ahh...
Excellent win! Loved listening to this on the radio while watching Hurley get tossed.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

what can you say? a gutsy shot by Fatts and a gutsy effort in the last few minutes by Jeff and all . it was not looking good when they were down three
with about a minute and a half to go, but no panic by this young team . Lost in the foray was a huge rebound under the basket by Tyreese
Martin . Harvard played great and made shots, but still came out a loser. Just a great win for the Rams . I can remember veteran URI
teams not pulling out these wins in similar games , but Jeff Dowtin willed them back into the game whenever it stared getting away from them.
Thank you , Jeff .
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That Fatts game winner was a classic "NO NO NO NO...YES!!!!"

Luke, good call on that Martin offensive rebound. He just barely missed the put back to, but we kept possession anyway. Was a great play.
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Fatts needs to find another way to impact the game when his shot isn’t falling.
Answer = shoot more
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What a great atmosphere tonight. Everyone on their feet at the end and going nuts when Fatts hits the 3. Cyril and Jeff are playing like men out there. Great student crowd. Let's keep this thing going!!!!
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’ll eat the bowl of crow in regards to Fatts...this time. Lol
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Attendance ?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

64 points by Jeff, Fatts and Cyril. Cyril with another double double. When help comes, this team should be on track for good things.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago We are witnessing the process...these are games we need to have the balls to pull out and win. Harvard is very efficient, and we are keeping pace but the TO’s are mounting and begin to kill us. Cyril needs a better arsenal of moves on the low post. He finds a way to fall or lose the ball 66% of the time.
........can we remember when Cyril had no moves in the post coupled with stone hands......I’ll take what he gives us on the boards and paint......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Vinstu wrote: 5 years ago at some point you gotta take fatts out right?
This aged well.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The help may have to come from Thompson and Preston, at least for a while. Not sure any of the freshman will be huge contributors this year. Silverio actually looked pretty good while in there tonight, IMO.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago We are witnessing the process...these are games we need to have the balls to pull out and win. Harvard is very efficient, and we are keeping pace but the TO’s are mounting and begin to kill us. Cyril needs a better arsenal of moves on the low post. He finds a way to fall or lose the ball 66% of the time.
........can we remember when Cyril had no moves in the post coupled with stone hands......I’ll take what he gives us on the boards and paint......
Cyril had a double double and both bigs for Harvard ended up with 4 fouls. The two bigs for Harvard combined for 16 points and 9 rebounds. Cyril had 13 pts and 10 rebounds. I think he held his own.
4 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
Cyril had a double double and both bigs for Harvard ended up with 4 fouls. The two bigs for Harvard combined for 16 points and 9 rebounds. Cyril had 13 pts and 10 rebounds. I think he held his own.
Agree with this. Cyril's game isn't pretty but he plays tough and does our dirty work.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

luke wrote: 5 years agoAttendance ?
......I don’t know the number.......I would say good crowd, with energy, students showed up for a Friday nite.......the “helper” for EZ is a struggle to hear/understand, I agree with who ever said on here her voice just does not work in the building PA system......no band......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Jeff- Best game he's played in a URI uniform and reminded me of the Saint Joes game in the A10 tournament last year. Adding step backs and pull ups to his arsenal has made him a first team A10 player. Comfortable with him scoring 40% of our points.

Cyril- lost elevation midway through the game on finishing post moves but I'm sure that's stamina-related. He's logging more minutes and clearly a focal point of their offense. His footwork has been significantly refined but I think they wasted a lot of posessions trying to force-feed him the ball tonight.

Harris is very disappointing. Got lost on multiple defensive posessions and was almost rim-stuffed on that fast break dunk. He is lacking confidence and is really struggling with the speed and physicality of the college game.

Just as I was about to say Fatts shot us out of two straight games he hits that to save the game. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess. Nevertheless, I love their scrappyness, just wish they got out and pushed the tempo a little more. Didn't know that Harvard was missing their two best players until the very end. They had some SIZE and aggressive players. Will be interesting to see how they play this year, but they look very talented.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

......I don’t know the number.......I would say good crowd, with energy, students showed up for a Friday nite.......the “helper” for EZ is a struggle to hear/understand, I agree with who ever said on here her voice just does not work in the building PA system......no band......?
About 6,000 according to Steve McDonald.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

The new Lethal Weapon... The role of Murtaugh played by Jeff Dowtin and the loose cannon Riggs played by Fatts Russell.
8 x
'No Mercy.'
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

God did that shot reminded me of the tourney or what. Great effort pretty much what we expected at this point , big three carrying the load with freshman still adjusting. Once they do watch out.
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 5 years ago The new Lethal Weapon... The role of Murtaugh played by Jeff Dowtin and the loose cannon Riggs played by Fatts Russell.
What a random but awesome reference
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
About 6,000 according to Steve McDonald.
ProJo says 5,494 ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Right now we have three guys(maybe four with Thompson) they can put the ball in the basket. Cyril needs some help down low from the other big men. Fatts needs to get the younger players involved which will help their game and also his as he seems to be pressing. Dowtin has been great. Thompson is a steady contributor who will continue to get better. The freshman are really going to take some time. It would be nice to get Omar some looks. He seems to want to shoot which is something we could use. Harris is a mystery which could be due to an injury which was mentioned or he is just overwhelmed right now. Martin should be the one that will come along and give us 7-9 points a game. This will take probably the whole season. We may see our best basketball in March which should lead into next season.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I just got back from the game - great dinner at Trio.

Wow, what a game! Fatts couldn't put the ball in the ocean but you knew he was going to hit that final 3. And that was the best performance I've ever seen from Jeff. My goodness, do we have a backcourt.

Cyril had some great low post moves, but give Harvard credit for shutting him down in the second half. In fact, give Harvard credit for the entire game. They had great ball movement, solid defense and balanced scoring.

I feel bad for the freshmen - especially young Mr. Harris. Hopefully as the year progresses so too will their performance.

But in the meantime, do we have a backcourt or what?! What a tremendous game. I couldn't ask for a better night!
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Great win. I have two comments:

Some how Cox has got to get through to Cyril to pass the ball out occasionally when he gets the ball in the low box. At least once in a while.......... He never looks for an open body. His game has improved quite a bit but 7 turnovers is way too many for anyone.

Up until the last second Preston looked lost on defense and he had the defensive play of the game with less than a second left on the clock. He was guarding the inbounds pass and after the pass got in he hustled 60 - 70 feet or so down the floor to get the block. Hustle play of the early schedule!
2 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Martin is getting a lot of minutes but he isn’t even attempting to show any type of offensive game. I think he took 2 total shots tonight. He just passes the ball immediately and plays d. I know he has talent but I’ve watched him 3 straight games now and he refuses to assert himself into the offense. Is it a confidence thing or is coach telling him to just distribute and play D? Omar definitely seems like he wants to be more aggressive offensively but his minutes have been limited and he’s not getting enough touches. Bottom line we need some production out of our freshman. Coach does need to run some plays for them as well. Get their confidence going.
0 x
Pjhugnkiss
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Pjhugnkiss »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 5 years ago The new Lethal Weapon... The role of Murtaugh played by Jeff Dowtin and the loose cannon Riggs played by Fatts Russell.

I need this shirt on a shirt and I need it now
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Week now to work and start getting more guys going - winning tonight makes this week easier for the young guys to keep buying in.

Come December - Tyrese will be getting 8-10 a game. Right. Ow he is playing solid D. I also have a good feeling about Omar
0 x