Gm 10 Football at #9/10 James Madison 2pm Sat Nov 9

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Gm 10 Football at #9/10 James Madison 2pm Sat Nov 9

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Well, it's officially must win time if the football team is to make the playoffs, and that starts tomorrow at James Madison. We all remember what happened there two years ago, but we're obviously improved and this is a different James Madison that we'll be seeing. Two years ago they were 14-1, with their only loss at North Carolina. They were a perfect 8-0 in conference and won their 4 playoff games by a combined score of 175-60. Yes, winning playoff games by an average score of 28.75 is pretty good. This year's squad is still very good, with a record of 6-3 and a 4-2 conference record, but they are beatable. They lost a 3 point game at home to Elon and are coming of an 11 point loss at New Hampshire. Looking at common opponents:

We lost at Stony Brook 52-14, they beat them 13-10 at JMU's Homecoming
We beat William & Mary 21-10, they beat W&M 51-0
We lost at Elon 24-21, and as mentioned earlier, JMU lost at home to them 27-24

After losing 2 of their last 4 is JMU reeling? Did the loss to UNH just piss them off? Will our offense be better with Lawson having a game to shake off the rust?

Looks like this game will be on MASN and SNY according to their website. Our website doesn't list any TV covereage.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Gm 10 Football at #9/10 James Madison 2pm Sat Nov 9

In other conference action that could have an effect on the playoffs:

Tied for first Delaware is at tied for fourth Stony Brook at 1. We want Delaware to win.
Tied for first Maine is at tied for tenth Richmond at 3. We want a Richmond upset there.
Third place Elon is hosting tied for fourth Towson at 12. Either result is ok for us, probably want an Elon win there though.
James Madison is in that logjam tied for fourth with Stony Brook and Towson.
We're in 7th place, but could move up to a tie for fourth with a win tomorrow and losses by Stony Brook and Towson.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Well, it's officially must win time if the football team is to make the playoffs, and that starts tomorrow
The fact that someone can even write this ^^^ = incredibly successful season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I know this opinion won't be agreed to, but it's not an incredibly successful season yet, and it won't be successful unless they win one of the last two. There's been a lot of good things this year, it's been much better than our normal year, but you can't have a losing record and a successful season.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

2 wins equals very succesful season. 1 win equals succesful season. 0 wins equals time for a new coaching staff.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

The injury to Lawson really hurt the positive momentum of the season. It also leads into the biggest question of the off-season---- Who plays QB next year? Is Vito the answer? I'm not sure I'm sold. That means either Grant gets a look, or we look for a transfer. With the impressive group of pass catchers we will have next year, we I wouldn't mind seeing us kick the tires on a FBS transfer or two who can come in right away and play. Then see if Vito is ready for his senior year.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I know this opinion won't be agreed to, but it's not an incredibly successful season yet, and it won't be successful unless they win one of the last two. There's been a lot of good things this year, it's been much better than our normal year, but you can't have a losing record and a successful season.

Yeah if we cant win either of these two games with Lawson and these weapons he has then I dont think it's that much of a success and doesn't bode well for the future.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I know this opinion won't be agreed to, but it's not an incredibly successful season yet, and it won't be successful unless they win one of the last two. There's been a lot of good things this year, it's been much better than our normal year, but you can't have a losing record and a successful season.

Yeah if we cant win either of these two games with Lawson and these weapons he has then I dont think it's that much of a success and doesn't bode well for the future.
Especially when you consider we choked away the Maine game. We had the ball 1st and goal from the 2, down 5 with a minute to go. That's a game you have to win. We win that, we're already sitting on a winning season and in the logjam tied for 4th place in the conference, square on the bubble and pretty much controlling our own destiny for the playoffs.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yep and I cant help but think that we are going to lose all of our good players to transfer again if we lose these last two. We might lose them regardless, but still this team has looked very good. We probably beat Elon if we dont throw that pick 6 to end the half. So we are really good. Would be a shame to finish with a losing season.
1 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

A shame,the league was wide open this year.
JMU does not have the advantage talent wise they have had the last few seasons.
With Lawson,this was a playoff team. He is/was a magic man.
Vito throws real,nice long ball and is a plugger. He can improve. Got 2 whole years in front of him. His ceiling will be equal to how hard he works in offseason.
He can run circles around other Rhody QB's like McKoy,Vazzano,Caparral,Lowrie,etc..
Coaching staff is high on Grant to be Lawson type player. He can run and throw.
They have winning season and the future looks bright.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree with all. Key is to retain our WR talent, and use that to attract an FBS QB transfer who can come in and play right away.
But IMO both Parker and Coulter could probably be playing FBS football. Hopefully they want to keep building something special here vs going elsewhere.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Parker and Coulter have NFL potential.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Getting everything easy early

7-0 Rams!
Last edited by PeterRamTime 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Rhody forces a turnover and I have no idea what replay was looking at, leads to JM TD 7-7.

Is it just me or is everyone else jealous when looking at JM stadium?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodysk wrote: 5 years ago Rhody forces a turnover and I have no idea what replay was looking at, leads to JM TD 7-7.

That was a horse manure call.

Now down 14-7 and punting.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

17-27. Not over yet.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

34-17
Maybe over.

Threw another pick to end the half which pretty much screwed us for the rest of the game.

Defense cant do much.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Touch Down URI. Beautiful drive put together by Lawson with some timely runs himself. 24-34 still in the 3rd quarter. Plenty of time
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Javier-Castillo with the interception!!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Got an interception but went three and out....

Lawson missed a wiiiiiide open Coulter and threw a ball too high.

Lots of bad passes from him and drops from the receivers.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great catch by Parker and Marvin with his 3rd TD of the day!
This team does not quit.
Back to down 10.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice defensive effort. JMU to punt
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good grief
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Many odd calls in this game got both sides
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

24,199 attendance
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodysk wrote: 5 years ago Rhody forces a turnover and I have no idea what replay was looking at, leads to JM TD 7-7.

Jealous of the stadium obviously, but surprisingly not jealous of the program. For all the crap URI has gotten on here about not thinking big in regards to the football program I think schools like Delaware and James Madison are way worse. Both of them, but especially James Madison, clearly belong in FBS, but they'd rather not test themselves. Kinda chickenshit to put all of that money and all those resources into football but then stay in FCS in my opinion
1 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Totally disagree. They are both prominent programs in the FCS, with annual expectations of national playoffs and legitimate shot at a championship. That is something URI can only dream of. But URI's dream is a lot more realistic than these schools becoming relevant in the FBS. Think UMASS or UConn, I bet their fans wouldn't mind having relevant FCS teams again(UMASS anyway, UConn was never relevant)! I was fortunate being at the historic 84-7 game 2 years ago and talked to a number of JMU alums - they had changed their minds on FBS as being what they wanted. They saw Old Dominion and Appalachia State make the move and even win, but the result was third rate Bowl Games and basic irrelevance. The JMU fans liked where they are much better. Chickenbleep? I think smart is the proper word.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

Jealous of the stadium obviously, but surprisingly not jealous of the program. For all the crap URI has gotten on here about not thinking big in regards to the football program I think schools like Delaware and James Madison are way worse. Both of them, but especially James Madison, clearly belong in FBS, but they'd rather not test themselves. Kinda chickenshit to put all of that money and all those resources into football but then stay in FCS in my opinion
Woah, slow down there Skip Bayless. This may be the worst take I've read on a URI board since Clamcake suggested that Jonathan Cruz should start at Point Guard!!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'm pretty sure JMU plans to move up to FBS.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bos8 wrote: 5 years ago

Woah, slow down there Skip Bayless. This may be the worst take I've read on a URI board since Clamcake suggested that Jonathan Cruz should start at Point Guard!!
Woah, slow down there Bos8 :) Everyone acknowledges the most ridiculous post in Keaney Blue history was the one offering foul shooting tips to Jimmy Baron. The Cruz post, this one, a few others are battling for spots 2 thru 5. But 72 has a strangle hold on worst take ever.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 5 years ago

Woah, slow down there Bos8 :) Everyone acknowledges the most ridiculous post in Keaney Blue history was the one offering foul shooting tips to Jimmy Baron. The Cruz post, this one, a few others are battling for spots 2 thru 5. But 72 has a strangle hold on worst take ever.

It's obvious Jimmy need the free throw advice. He barely shot above 90% from the charity stripe for his career.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

My take was just how the stadium is built with an upper deck plus a full house. I definitely don’t think JM should be thinking of fbs. They are definitely in a good place. I don’t think you build a 40,000 seat stadium but a 12,000-15,000 would be ideal for fcs.
I still think rhody should shoot for upgrades and be in the 10,000 tops.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago 24,199 attendance

Many thousands more at JMU this past weekend than were at FBS games at UConn (19,096) and UMass in Foxborough (14,082).
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Had Lawson not gotten hurt and missed so many games I believe we would have had a spectacular year.....

....we could have won this game and a couple of others.....we lost momentum and I believe Lawson is only 85-90% healthy....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !