'19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Florida State ---> Syracuse)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Offer)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McLeod back home in Philly. No commitment to FSU.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago McLeod back home in Philly. No commitment to FSU.
He wouldn’t have done it there. I think he wants to make a video and spectacle out of it all.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago McLeod back home in Philly. No commitment to FSU.
He wouldn’t have done it there. I think he wants to make a video and spectacle out of it all.
Should be this week.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Any insight? He seems to be a complete wildcard. At this point, whoever he commits too, does anybody really expect him to see that through?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago Any insight? He seems to be a complete wildcard. At this point, whoever he commits too, does anybody really expect him to see that through?
I don't think because a player takes his time translated to him breaking a verbal. Plus he can sign soon.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NLI day is in 17 days.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah he can sign, but he's a year away from suiting up for whoever he chooses.

Almost seems like he's waiting for something he's not likely to get.....

Like I said before....the staff wants someone who's "all in". McLeod at least right now doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that he would be.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Yeah he can sign, but he's a year away from suiting up for whoever he chooses.

Almost seems like he's waiting for something he's not likely to get.....

Like I said before....the staff wants someone who's "all in". McLeod at least right now doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that he would be.
Well the staff wants him so something in your statement is incorrect.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sure 83, they want him.

Does he want them?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

It takes two to tango! Land McLeod and we’ll have 3 top 200 prospects in this class, I can get excited about that.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If I said we have a 70 % chance to get him and FSU 30 % am i in the ballpark????
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Nov 15
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Nov 15
Attachments
04414534-4A28-427A-844B-E4F7FDE6E1E8.png
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Looks like he is going to announce and signed his NLOI.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

OR Nov 15 is the date he announces that he is waiting for the spring !!!!!?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago OR Nov 15 is the date he announces that he is waiting for the spring !!!!!?
Not.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sure hope we can earn his signature among those other schools.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

interesting that he's taking almost 3 weeks from his last OV. Sounds like he really wants to mull this over with friends and family or is waiting for another situation to develop. hoping it's not the latter.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Nov. 15th is the 2nd day of the NLI period. Could he be waiting to see who else signs where on the 14th?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

This recruitment is interesting but no fan base wants him more than URI, hopefully he chooses where he is loved.
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

by CT Rhody » 1 hour ago

This recruitment is interesting but no fan base wants him more than URI, hopefully he chooses where he is loved.

To be honest I don't think these kids care a Rats Ass about the fan base showing them love. It's Playing time, the Team/Program,
the conference, and potential path to the next level. Not necessarily in that order. Fan's love?!? Please! It would be nice
but we're not that important.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

He would play behind Langevine one year and then potentially start. That's an ideal situation. i think we've lost out on some other recruits because playing time wasn't as clear cut. No excuses here.
6 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago He would play behind Langevine one year and then potentially start. That's an ideal situation. i think we've lost out on some other recruits because playing time wasn't as clear cut. No excuses here.
We lost out because Miami and Xavier decided they wanted Walker and Bishop. If FSU pushes for his commitment in the next two weeks we will most likely see the same result. We thought we had built strong relationships with Bishop and Walker, but in the end it didn’t matter. Hopefully Koprivica going to FSU will swing it our way, but I don’t feel real confident. I agree it seems ideal to go to URI, but so did the other two.
1 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago He would play behind Langevine one year and then potentially start. That's an ideal situation. i think we've lost out on some other recruits because playing time wasn't as clear cut. No excuses here.
We lost out because Miami and Xavier decided they wanted Walker and Bishop. If FSU pushes for his commitment in the next two weeks we will most likely see the same result. We thought we had built strong relationships with Bishop and Walker, but in the end it didn’t matter. Hopefully Koprivica going to FSU will swing it our way, but I don’t feel real confident. I agree it seems ideal to go to URI, but so did the other two.
Xavier didn't have any commits at SG and Miami didn't have a commit at SF/PF. McLeod is never going to play at the same time as Koprivica. Much different situation. He'd basically be signing up to play bench minutes.

We need to stop acting like we know that our coaches had a better relationship with Bishop and Walker. So many posters act like this is some indisputable fact when it's a complete assumption.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

There can only be one.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

FattsAndFurious wrote: 5 years ago
Xavier didn't have any commits at SG and Miami didn't have a commit at SF/PF. McLeod is never going to play at the same time as Koprivica. Much different situation. He'd basically be signing up to play bench minutes.

We need to stop acting like we know that our coaches had a better relationship with Bishop and Walker. So many posters act like this is some indisputable fact when it's a complete assumption.
We don’t know that McLeod and Koprivica won’t be used at the same time. This is also an assumption. There have been many teams that have used two bigs at the same time and Koprivica is a stretch center who can play the power forward position when they are on the floor at the same time. There are enough minutes for both of them as most centers may play more in the range of 25-28 minutes if they have depth. I think we overate the position availability. Is Walker the only power forward on Miami. I doubt it.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It wasn’t an assumption, the players themselves said it, in MULTIPLE articles.

Not to mention the fact that we traveled 3-4 deep to see them, repeatedly, and were our primary targets. We know that based on the fall back options.
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

It wasn’t an assumption, the players themselves said it, in MULTIPLE articles.
Please show me the article where they say they have a better relationship with Cox/URI than they do with all of their other schools.

They said they like the staff a lot, but the rest is a narrative created by us
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Just look thru their threads . Don’t have time to do your research.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

We don’t know that McLeod and Koprivica won’t be used at the same time. This is also an assumption. There have been many teams that have used two bigs at the same time and Koprivica is a stretch center who can play the power forward position when they are on the floor at the same time. There are enough minutes for both of them as most centers may play more in the range of 25-28 minutes if they have depth. I think we overate the position availability. Is Walker the only power forward on Miami. I doubt it.
I disagree that McLeod and Koprivica will be used at the same time. Recruits get input from advisors/coaches and parents. They are trying to put themselves in the best position to become a pro. If they have a good evaluation process they look at playing time and measure the probability that they will be a starter for X years. Bishop and Walker have high probabilities of being starters for 3 years at Xavier and Miami. That is because another player hasn’t been recruited at their position(s) and they have position flexibility. If McLeod went to FSU his probability would be much lower because of Koprivica and the lack of position flexibility for players 7+ feet.

Tell me how many players 7 feet or taller played PF in college last year.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The bottom line is, I think we land the big guy.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

In Naheem’s case, you maybe right or you may be wrong (none of us actually know), but in general I think it is a mistake to say “guy X did this and guy Y did that, therefore we can assume guy Z will do the same thing.” These guys are all different. They have their own criteria and make their decisions on different factors and weigh various pros and cons differently. It is not a truism that every kid will go with the power conference team that swoops in at the last minute, just like it isn’t true that every kid will value relationships with players and coaches or guaranteed playing time, or location or facilities, etc. All those things are important, but they are all important to each kid to different degrees.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I certainly could be wrong, but I really think URI is only recruiting against themselves here.

I do disagree a little with some of the “relationship talk.” I think most recruits value that, but the strongest connection or best relationship doesn’t necessarily correlate with length of recruitment. Sometimes situations just click.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

We all think it is between URI and FSU; is LaSalle no longer in the picture? or someone else?
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Remember the recruits are not always able to act by what they want to do. Many things will have a say in the decision on what a teen may finally decide. things like !- Friends and hanger ons saying you are to good to go to one small conference school. You will only be a pro if you go big time. 2- My family needs the money that I will get if i go to this school. 3- My handler that is the reason I got this far is pushing me to go to a big school and he is the reason schools are after me, 4- etc.
Does a teen go against those that have influenced them in life or do what they think is best for them? What would have you done when you were 18-19?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Your assumptions have the influencers pushing to a big school for their benefit. Kind of a negative look at it. There are many coaches, parents etc tgat actually look out for what is best for their player/son. It might be the playing time, the college coach, academics etc.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Your assumptions have the influencers pushing to a big school for their benefit. Kind of a negative look at it. There are many coaches, parents etc tgat actually look out for what is best for their player/son. It might be the playing time, the college coach, academics etc.
This would have been stronger before it came to light that the top 15 schools in the country have their players on payroll. And if not the players, then someone close to them.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Your assumptions have the influencers pushing to a big school for their benefit. Kind of a negative look at it. There are many coaches, parents etc tgat actually look out for what is best for their player/son. It might be the playing time, the college coach, academics etc.
This would have been stronger before it came to light that the top 15 schools in the country have their players on payroll. And if not the players, then someone close to them.
You have seen somewhere that all of the Top 15 schools have their players on payroll. Can you send me the link?
Do you think all of the Top 100 players get paid? I realize there are some players (mostly those identified as NBA level in high school) that get money. I realize that the shoe companies are paying players to improve their chances for signing these players. It doesn’t surprise me that the shoe companies help direct players to their colleges. I am wondering how many players you think take money every year.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

If Creighton is offering 100k then the money in college basketball is a little more pervasive than the top 5-10.
1 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

In college basketball today, everyone thinks their team is x player’s best choice and if they lose its because another school cheated or their circle was pushing them to do something they don’t want. 95% of the time none of that is true. It’s just people's way of coping with the fact that you can’t get every recruit you want.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago If Creighton is offering 100k then the money in college basketball is a little more pervasive than the top 5-10.
I would hate to see you on a jury. Where did it say the top 5-10 where all paying their players?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

These last several posts don't belong in this thread.......they are only marginally related to Naheem's recruitment.....they belong in the General Recruiting thread.....just my opinion.....
6 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago If Creighton is offering 100k then the money in college basketball is a little more pervasive than the top 5-10.
I would hate to see you on a jury. Where did it say the top 5-10 where all paying their players?
Let's just wait till all the criminal trials end to see where the top schools sit. We know many have been involved in pay to play. Those are the one's that came to light. But I agree with SWPG, if Creighton is offering players $100k, then this thing is deep.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

One of the biggest attractions to step on the court this upcoming 2018-19 high school basketball season in Pennsylvania will be 7′ 3″ Naheem Mcleod, 2019 Center at Plymouth Whitemarsh HS (Plymouth Meeting, PA). He has not yet committed, but has interests from Florida State, La Salle, Oregon, Penn State, & Rhode Island. I know the PA universities recruiting Naheem would surely love for him to remain in PA, just as much as the out of state schools would love for the agile, shot blocking, floor running center with the Mo’ Mamba-ish wingspan to join their programs. Wherever this young fella lands, he will be bringing much more to the table than just his height and impressive wingspan. Naheem (aka “Big Duke”), is very skilled, and has shown glimpses of his future promise early on in his high school career. During his sophomore year (2016-17) vs Trinity HS (Camp Hill, PA), Naheem stood out displaying a soft touch from various spots on the floor, shot blocking, back to the basket post moves, finishing ability with either hand, mid range jump shot, rim attack, ability to run the floor, and good endurance for a player his size. Fast forward to 2018, he’s improved in each of those areas with the addition of being more vocal, aggressive, confident, moves well with out the ball, he still loves to block shots, slam dunk, shoot the jumper, and run the floor. From first hand knowledge of the young man, he’s well rounded and very respectful, which is evident when watching his interaction with teammates and coaches. I am very curious of what his senior season will bring because his teammates at PW in past seasons were very skilled and dominant senior guards (Ish Horn, Williams Twins). I would expect a new level of dominance to come along with his senior leadership role. I would definitely not be going out on a limb to say that he should 100% average a double-double this season, that’s well within his scope of abilities. According to sources, Mid-November is his possible college commitment time. That could definitely change if he gets off to the type start that shakes up the nation and has more colleges wanting to put the pressure on him to come make a visit before his senior season is done. Regardless, it’s a Blessing to see young men living their dreams, and it’s more of a Blessing when they have the type character that Big Duke possesses. He’s definitely earned and deserves everything coming his way. Stay Tuned!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

According to sources, Mid-November is his possible college commitment time. That could definitely change if he gets off to the type start that shakes up the nation and has more colleges wanting to put the pressure on him to come make a visit before his senior season is done.

That comment doesn’t make sense based on the schedule I found for Plymouth - they show one game before Nov 15th.

RawSports has been doing McLeod’s highlight video. This article seems to be a promo piece.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah did seem like weird statements like seemed he isnt thrilled with only having LaSalle...and mainly URI ....and a distant possibility of fsu involved with him and is holding out hope he can go higher. But committing at november 15th seems ideal timing for rhody.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

we all know its the 15th, but he did say on his IG i think yesterday or the day before "be at west gym @ 6p on the 15th"

Sounds like thats the time he is announcing on the 15th and signing his NLOI
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

If he postpones his commitment it's time to move on.
3 x