10/25| Pace | 7PM (WRIU-Radio) (EXHIBITION)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 10/25| Pace | 7PM (WRIU-Radio) (EXHIBITION)

Unread post by theblueram »

Right now it seems we are a 3 legged stool. No issues with Fatts, Jeff and Cyril. Omar and Martin will probably see lots of minutes.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I swear if complaining about or even just constantly monitoring Harris fouling is going to be a thing here, either my forehead or my desk won’t survive the winter. Just let the kid figure it out. He’s going to foul people - he’s a freshman big man, that’s what they do. Get used to it and don’t worry about it.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

remember Hassan looked lost for half a season his freshman year. he turned out pretty good
3 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Right now it seems we are a 3 legged stool. No issues with Fatts, Jeff and Cyril. Omar and Martin will probably see lots of minutes.
Please don’t make predictions based off this. Lots of experimentation.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Score?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years agoScore?
80-65
0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

final: 80-65 rhody

Don't read too much into it or the box score
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we were better against St. Johns.....lol
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Right now it seems we are a 3 legged stool. No issues with Fatts, Jeff and Cyril. Omar and Martin will probably see lots of minutes.
I think I can predict Fatts, Jeff and Cyril are A10 ready. No one else is right now.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
I think I can predict Fatts, Jeff and Cyril are A10 ready. No one else is right now.
Of course they aren’t. How could they be?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not only is the A10 portion of the season still months away, the season itself has not even actually started yet. Only three guys on the team played meaningful D1 minutes last year, and we are surprised that they’re the only theee guys that looked “ready”? (Honestly, I doubt even those guys are ready at this point.)
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I can say those three are ready to go. Was expecting more from a top 100 guy. It’s gonna be a slog.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Workin out the jitters.

At the very least our core 3 are ready to go and everything else is gravy.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I can say those three are ready to go. Was expecting more from a top 100 guy. It’s gonna be a slog.
Harris is also coming off from an illness. Let’s give this kid time to figure it out. It’s an exhibition game and we haven’t even started the season.

You can step away from the ledge, there will be growing pains but things will be ok
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Pretty much spot on
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .....radio guys said Harris looks lost.
He did look lost. Understood that he has lots more experience to gain and needs to figure out the foul situation, and not labeling him for the year, but he did. Hopefully just a case of not getting enough continuous minutes (because of fouling) to get into any kind of flow.

Speaking of fouls...pretty sure that Aris Tsourgiannis picked up a foul in zero seconds. Like, he fouled someone as soon as he got in there, before any time ran off the clock. That's quick.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Really rusty, I think the freshman are just getting the jitters out but overall this is still a talented team. Fatts looks awesome, langevine and Dowtin looked solid. The greek kid looked like he didn't know what sport he was playing. Can't take much away from an exhibition game with such a young squad. Let the jitters get out and this team will be just fine. Also Tertsea is enormous.
2 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought Thompson played well. After his airball early on, he hit a couple of threes, made some nice passes and played tough D. Jeff and Fatts will play as many minutes as they can handle this year. Yes, all the frosh definitely looked like frosh tonight. I actually think Omar looked the most comfortable of them. Poor Aris, I think his first foul came in about 1 second, and he had 3 fouls faster than Harris did, I believe. I didn't expect a big crowd, but I did expect more students. Couldn't have been more than a couple of hundred of them there. But, that will change. They've been great the last few years. Looks like Niki Lattarulo is taking over for EZ Buckets. It's weird not having him out there. Anyway, basketball is back and I am beyond thrilled!
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The obvious was Fatts, Langevine and Dowtin. I was hoping we would get a more comfortable lead so that we could have put more minutes to the younger players. We all the know what are top three can already do. These three will be the backbone and counted on for a ton of production.

Thompson-He had some good moments and bad ones, but will be very valuable and is still shaking off some game rust. Hit a couple nice shots and can be a factor on the defensive end.
Tate-He looks like he will develop into a good player in time. He plays with energy and I liked his free throw shooting touch
Silverio-He will be a very good three point shooter in time. Hit the first three than took two that a little too far out, but I think he will be a valuable deep threat in time
Harris-Fouls and not getting a chance to get in the flow of the game let us see very little of what he can do. I'm not worried about him, but hope he shows a little more fire. He was floating around at times.
Martin-Another guy that just needs to develop and learn from experience. I was hoping to see more aggression on the offensive end, but still like his talent very much.
Preston-Hit one nice jumper at the end, but at best might be able to fill the role of Akele. Anyone looking for more than that will be disappointed.
Tsourgiannis-I know everyone said trust the process with him and the staff must have liked him, but lets be honest he isn't even close to an A-10 caliber player. I know he played limited minutes, but it just isn't going to happen.
Teresa-Hit one nice shot, but will see limited minutes as he is just too slow to compete at this level.

Overall they need to play better defense(which I think they will), develop more scoring options outside the big three and keep playing these freshman and building their confidence. Small crowd, but expected that.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

My takeaway

Fatts looked outstanding.... was doing everything out there. Scoring/passing/high energy/showed leadership in the huddles. His game and role has been raised.

Langivine was very impressive. Looked very much improved on the offensive end. He looked quicker/stronger and more polished around the rim. Was solid at the line as well.

Dowtin looked like Dowtin.... very efficient.... great player who will lead us this year. His was more aggressive offensively and ran the offense as he has the last 2 years.

Thompson: he started off kind a sluggish... missed a couple of good looks early. As the game went on he played much better. He made a couple of nice threes and played hard overall. We are going to need him to play better defensively and to make outside shots.

Martin: was very passive out there. He really didn’t look to do much when he got the ball. He looks strong and has great height for a guard. It was tough to get a read on him as he really didn’t take many shots and didn’t attack the rim. I know this kid can really play. I would like to see him player with more fire. Again he was just very passive out there today.

Tate: he played the most minutes of the freshman. Very strong body.... played solid D and was aggressive both offensively and defensively. He got to the line a few times and has a nice stroke on his FT’s. I liked what I saw from him.

Silveiro: I was impressed with him the most out of the freshman. He played with confidence... took a few nice shots.... was more aggressive offensively than the others. Very strong frame/height. I liked what I saw... he probably played 15 minutes.

Harris: nothing to really report....barely played because of the fouls. Played the last five minutes or so but couldn’t get into any type of rhythm. Only had a few touches. He looked very big and strong. He didn’t look like a freshman from his appearance. You have to completely write this game off for him. He had 4 fouls a minute into the 2nd half. Just not his night.... the fouls were tacky and unintentional.
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Man to man defense the whole night which I like seeing.

Cox always had two bigs in the game until midway second half, when he went with a 4 guard lineup for a bit.

Harris was targeted like KI used to be where the refs were eying him like a hawk.

Agree with Billyboy and Tom that Silverio looked the most comfortable of the freshman.

The core 3 showed a lot of intensity and were not afraid to exercise leadership and yell at the freshman at times. Once they get more comfortable, I would expect that intensity to spread to the freshmen.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The perfect exhibition game. No obvious injuries, a win so you're not down losing to a division 2 team, good performances from the returning core (though Cyril needs to tighten up on the free throws), and a ton of stuff to work on over the next week and a half
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When Jeff plays 37 minutes and Fatts plays 35 minutes in an exhibition game, that will give you an idea of what kind of minutes they will be expected to play this year.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jeff, Fatts and Cyril will have to carry the weight until the frosh get going. I foresee a 8 man rotation - Dowtin, Russell, Martin, Tate, Langevine, Thompson, Silverio and Harris. Preston will see 5 minutes a game.

It’s a transition phase, adjusting to the lights, the speed, the officiating, the sets, the coaching, the adjustments, etc...it’s a lot. This is likely why some predict us right in the middle of the A10z you never know what your going to get with Freshman until they show and prove.

Looking for to watching these guys develop. Kudos on the win...on to Bryant!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

The Big 3 were great, so that's as it should be. Fatts is so quick and elusive, and his swag is undeniable. Jeff is solid as always, and Cyril was a man among boys.

I liked what I saw from Tate. Not so much The Foul Greek Freak. And hopefully Mr. Harris will start to show his enormous skills soon.

The biggest difference was Coach Cox. My buddy and I said the whole first half "Where's the Coach?" Turns out he's not Tasmanian Devil Dan, and keeps it super cool.

I'm not a fan of exhibition games, but this one was fun. Our Big Three will be rock solid, and I'm optimistic about the young 'uns.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Not surprised that Omar looked the most comfortable.
If he can handle Terry Rozier in that street ball game I'm not surprised he came out ready to go in an exhibition game.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Didn’t get to read all the post so I may duplicate some here. I do have some differences in opinion from the ones that I did read.
Tate is going to start. He is the most ready for this level of competion.
Martin looked better in the 2nd half.
Harris is behind. Cox has said this to the media. Everyone is mentioning the illness but he missed much more practice time because of the injury. He is back at full participation in practice now. He missed key practices where Cox was installing the defense and offense. He will catch up. They are also changing his offensive approach from facing the basket in HS to down in the post/bsck to the basket. So he has the most adjustments to make.
Omar will play the least minutes of the Fr. He looked slow on D.
I haven’t seen the box score but Fatts missed a lot of drives. Jeff didn’t hit any of his outside shots. He made almost every midrange teardrop.
Cyril looked really good. Two of his fouls were on another Rhody player and the ref screwed up.
Rhody can’t afford for Cyril to get in foul trouble.
Thompson had some good play in all facets. He is going to start.
Cyril, Jeff & Fatts had 32 of the team’s first 34 points.
Harris was the biggest shock
8 man rotation with Preston getting some minutes as the 9th.
No one else will see the floor in meaningful minutes.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not good news on Harris. He needs to learn to play tough defense without fouling
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

In all, it’s what you want from an exhibition game- no injuries and a win, so the guys can feel ok about themselves, but a win that contains a LOT of things to work on. Cox said as much in his pregame quotes regarding the freshmen- they’re still learning how to really compete, both on the court and in preparation. The worse thing that could have happened, for long term development, was to show up and blow a D2 team off the court. I think the biggest indicator of this group still learning to play together is the 13 assists and 12 turnovers.
5 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It sounds like Tate is the key to early season success. The other freshmen may contribute here and there for the first few weeks but Tate is the guy ready to play.

I think he is going to be a star in time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

One thing I forgot to ask.....where was Ty Boswell?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....yes, it is early, very early......but gotta think, if true that the coaches are trying find a role for Harris as low post back to basket player, where is skill set is more face the basket in space.....I will scratch my head a bit.....wish I could get my eye ball test sooner.......we will see, wait and watch the development of the freshmen which will come.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

One more note, Christian Thomson is going to be key during the first few games while the freshman get out the kinks. I like his game.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago One more note, Christian Thomson is going to be key during the first few games while the freshman get out the kinks. I like his game.
.......core three plus one......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .....yes, it is early, very early......but gotta think, if true that the coaches are trying find a role for Harris as low post back to basket player, where is skill set is more face the basket in space.....I will scratch my head a bit.....wish I could get my eye ball test sooner.......we will see, wait and watch the development of the freshmen which will come.......
Remember, in high school he was the biggest kid so his experience on the perimeter is limited.
Being the first game, the staff was probably trying to get him touches where he was most comfortable.

Harris will learn to take advantage of whatever the defensive match-up presents.
Last night, he had a significant height advantage, so, work the post.
Other nights he will have a true center on him, and he will need to take him outside.
That is part of the learning process.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Great to be back at Ryan center.. Agree with player assessments.... Biggest fear is Fatts getting hurt. Flying around with reckless abandon.. Tweaked his wrist at one point. I know its his game but may need to tone it down a bit especially with increased minutes. Need him healthy.. Finally we are going to miss e z buckets. Hope the new young lady grows into role.. Had trouble understanding her. Did enjoy her half time posing for pictures and continuously retaking because they weren't good enough.. All in all what was expected and glad to have rams hoops back again
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I think people need to relax on Harris. His first college game, only a few minutes played. He’ll be fine once he gets his legs under him and will play a vital role this season. Rhody has a good compliment of players on this team, just need to play together and develop some chemistry. Should be a fun year.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Interesting to see that Martin played some 4.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

What was most surprising to me was watching Cox on the sidelines. That is if you could actually see him. It was like playing where's waldo from my vantage point (section 206).

A complete 180 from Hurley. It is tough to stomp when you are laying by the scorers table. :lol:

1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The freshmen looked like freshmen. we have some reasonable early games to for them to get up to game speed. there are going to be WTF games both ways, like we had with Fatts last year, except instead of one player having the moment, the entire team will.

The big three took on visible leadership roles on the court, with at least two times I saw Fatts grab the group during a free throw huddle and help direct the attention of teammates.

The basics are there for this group to rock the Ryan Center for the next two years, but this year is going to be a reminder why the last two, and hopefully the next two, were/will be such special years in URI basketball timeline.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you’re on twitter and not following Will, change that.

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Love the high shorts by the way. Looked like the 86' celtics out there.
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Love the high shorts by the way. Looked like the 86' celtics out there.
Stan Robinson would be so proud!
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago I think people need to relax on Harris. His first college game, only a few minutes played. He’ll be fine once he gets his legs under him and will play a vital role this season. Rhody has a good compliment of players on this team, just need to play together and develop some chemistry. Should be a fun year.
This
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I believe I’m among the most optimistic people here in terms of this team’s upside because I think the ceiling for this team could be to fight their way into the field by winning in Brooklyn. But my idea of how we could get there is by growing over the course of the year and peaking late. If you are expecting this team to come out of the gates firing on all cylinders and blowing the doors off of teams with a first year HC, new staff, five guys in the eight man rotation who didn’t play college basketball last year and the other three guys stepping into new leadership roles...you’re not optimistic, you’re certifiably delusional.
5 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Most teams will improve as the season goes on. I think our chances at a tournament bid will depend on how good Dowtin, Langevine and Fatts will be. I don’t think it’s delusional to see all 3 end the year as first or second team all A-10. You can put up points with 3 scorers. Question to me is whether we gel and how fast we gel on defense.

But I admit my expectations were lowered a little from what I saw yesterday after they were raised when I saw the St Johns’ box score.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

My biggest concern is defense. I know freshmen have to learn how to play college D, but the lack of defensive intensity from the entire team, which we've taken for granted the last few years, worries me. It's an early red flag based on a small sample.

If you didn't know you'd think Sutton not Cox was the head coach. A small thing, but would like to see him stand on the sideline.

Tate is becoming one of my favorite players. incredibly mature with a high basketball IQ for a freshman. The others are more typical freshmen and it will take time. Harris is behind; the Greek will never play.

I'm not a big Thompson fan, but I see him potentially as more of a TJ than a Stan, a guy who can give you some D, draw some offensive fouls and hit a 3 every now and then.

EZ Buckets will be missed all season.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I was impressed by Martin’s athleticism. He looked lost at times but in time he’ll be a real contributor.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Can't take too much from a practice game, but agree with Iggy on these 2 especially...

The defensive intensity wasn't there like it has been. Maybe it's a case of first time under the bright lights for many.
Hopefully, it develops back to the point where, it looks like our D will be a full time pita for opponents.

EZ Buckets will be severely missed....
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Reading coach cox's comments after the game quantify what we will see for the rest of the year.

He said we didn't compete with the same amount of intensity on defense as we did against St John's. There seemed to be quite the drop off.

That's indicative of a young team.
We are likely to have games where the young guys just aren't as prepared as they should be.

I think they probably just overlooked these guys and thought it would be a cake walk after beating a talented St. John's team.

They have to understand that in college you have to bring it because everybody is good. Everybody has good athletes and smart game plans and teams like Pace and Bryant are going to come out and try to play their faces off to beat a team like us.
0 x