Scrimmage vs St John's Oct 21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Scrimmage vs St John's Oct 21

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago So excited to watch a healthy Cyril again. It’s been a while... since before the tournament his freshman year?
So true. Cyril played the entire season hurt last year. He had surgery in May and is 100%.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

This is likely the most talented backcourt we’ll see this year (albeit in a scrimmage). To me it further cements my opinion that Davidson isn’t as scary as many believe. I would take Fatts and Dowtin over any guard combo in the A10 (add Cyril and i take them over any 3 player core) and like what we have in complementary players by the time conference play rolls around. The year will see its peaks and valleys but i don’t think we have a shortage of top end talent - certainly enough to win in the A10.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Add 25 minutes from Harris in this rotation and everyone’s minutes come down to a reasonable number.
Even if Omar only plays 10 mins and Preston only plays 5 min that leaves an avg of 25 mins for the top 7 players.
I would expect Jeff to avg 33 mins (same as last year) and Fatts to avg 30 mins. That would leave 122 mins for the other 5 players.
Cyril will get close to 30 mins if he isn’t in foul trouble.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

What was the story with Martins 2 techs? I’m sure it’s not a big deal but funny to see an ejection in your first collegiate game.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Does anyone know the reason why Harris was held out of practice and didn't play in
the scrimmage with St. Johns? That he was riding a bike during practice is not reassuring.
Cyril rode a bike during games last season and he was injured all year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago Does anyone know the reason why Harris was held out of practice and didn't play in
the scrimmage with St. Johns? That he was riding a bike during practice is not reassuring.
I mean...just because they both rode bikes doesn’t mean they have the same injury. There were reports that Fatts was in a boot a few weeks ago, and next thing he’s posting dunks on his IG and playing in the scrimmage. If Harris is seriously injured, we will hear about it soon enough. But I haven’t heard anything at this point to suggest that is the case, so I’m not going to worry about it for now.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago Does anyone know the reason why Harris was held out of practice and didn't play in
Nothing major, just sick and preferred he rests (and not spread germs). Absolutely no injuries with him.
6 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From article in Narragansett Times. The media observed a practice this week.

Harris comes in as the marquee name, a 6-foot-8 forward who the Rams fully expect to be able to step in and compete for heavy minutes right away. He spent Tuesday’s practice riding an exercise bike, but there is no long-term injury concern according to Cox.

I also heard Harris was sick this weekend.
The important thing is that there is no readon to be concerned.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Thompson fouling out when you get 6 fouls is crazy.
I kind of like Thompson being that aggressive, often times players coming back are tentative. I'd rather he start out TOO aggressive then dial it back than the other way around. Also this game did not mean anything so by all means test the limits now! I presume they get reputable NCAA officials for the scrimmages, so in addition to practicing against your opponents you get a better feel of officiating before the games matter.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Thompson was playing that haven’t seen game action in a year type of defense. He’ll settle in, but his game is really about doing the little but important things that don’t necessarily show up in the box score. He’ll have to shoot better than he has previously, but for some unsubstantiated reason, I feel like it’s in him.
2 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

I wonder if Zags will give credit to Ollie every time a UCONN upperclassmen does something good this year. Just kidding, know that he won't.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago
I kind of like Thompson being that aggressive, often times players coming back are tentative. I'd rather he start out TOO aggressive then dial it back than the other way around. Also this game did not mean anything so by all means test the limits now! I presume they get reputable NCAA officials for the scrimmages, so in addition to practicing against your opponents you get a better feel of officiating before the games matter.
What's a reputable NCAA official?
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just to confirm. ..
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago

I wonder if Zags will give credit to Ollie every time a UCONN upperclassmen does something good this year. Just kidding, know that he won't.
Was Langevine a Cox recruit?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

No.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The who gets credit thing sucks and it doesn't seem like it is going anywhere soon.
5 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
Anti-Wally Rutecki

Wally Rutecki remains one of the best searches on twitter.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

Anti-Wally Rutecki

Wally Rutecki remains one of the best searches on twitter.
Larry Lembo (sarcasm), not sure if he's still out there or retired. I remember him during the UMASS Calipari days, absolutely brutal against Rhody with no calls on Donta Bright
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Red Storm fan perspective about the game:

JohnnyJungle.com Thread Link:
http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=11020.0

Redmen.com Thread Link:
https://redmen.com/forum/redmentalk/273 ... ml?start=0
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Man, can someone tell them this was also without our
Impact freshman, Harris, playing.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

We have Jim Carr to thank for Cyril.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Red Storm fan perspective about the game:

Redmen.com Thread Link:
This is why I hate on KenPom. People don't know what it actually represents and then see RI #108 and say oh that team is going to suck this year, even though KenPom has no fucking data on how this team is going to play with new coach and 4 or 5 or whatever new players.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Red Storm fan perspective about the game:

Redmen.com Thread Link:
Those forums are both a mess on my phone. Ads, crazy huge avatars, bad formatting. Happy to have KeaneyBlue.
7 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We need a Pace thread going now.
0 x
GO RAMS
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Glad they competed well and won the scrimmage. Can only help a young teams confidence.

Interesting box score. Rhode Island had 62 shots, and 36 were taken by Dowtin and Russell. And they shot 12 of 36 and still won. I kind of expected this, but maybe not to the magnitude of 58% of the total shots taken. Clear Cox knows what he has in the backcourt and has encouraged them to be the focal point of the offense. Did not think Fatts would have any problem with that, was not sure how Dowtin would adjust but based on this one game, no problem.

Tate started because they needed a little more size with Harris being out, but Martin played 32 minutes to Tates 19 minutes. Pretty impressive that a freshman played that many minutes in his first game, a scrimmage that it was. And Tate's 19 minutes for a freshman is impressive as well. All of the freshmen had pretty good numbers. Silverio had a very efficient game for the 10 minutes that he played. This bodes well for the team.

Fatts played 37 minutes, took 18 shots and did not shoot one free throw. He did have six assists and four rebounds. I think he is going to have a terrific year. All of the guards rebounded well, Dowtin had 6 and Thompson also had 6. They are going to have to do this, as in this game, this team looked a lot like last years team size wise and only had one big on the court most of the time. Interesting that Preston only got five minutes. Was told he was much improved and might get a little more run. Not in this game. Despite this, had a one rebound advantage. Langevine was a beast. Imperative that he stays healthy and out of foul trouble.

With Harris, maybe they play a little bigger with both him and Langevine on the court together. I am more optimistic than most on this board, I think this team finishes third in the A10. The only team clearly better than them is St. Louis. I think the freshman are ready to play from jump street. Not buying the St Joes and George Mason hype train. But in order to reach this level, I think Preston has to be a factor and they have to stay healthy. Will be fun to watch it unfold.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If the key to your third-place finish is Preston being a "factor," then I'd say no.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago I am more optimistic than most on this board, I think this team finishes third in the A10. The only team clearly better than them is St. Louis. I think the freshman are ready to play from jump street. Not buying the St Joes and George Mason hype train. But in order to reach this level, I think Preston has to be a factor and they have to stay healthy. Will be fun to watch it unfold.
But...not the most optimistic. I am looking for this team to win the A10. Again.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Mullin already on the hot seat?

https://watchstadium.com/news/the-colle ... ssion=true

I don’t think Neubauer is anything special, but who wants that job? Mooney’s name is also not a surprise.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Favorite quote from the Johnny Jungle forum.

"Lost to a bad team from a low conference."

Then someone replies

"The team might not be in mid season form but your stupid is."
8 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I was going to say that St Johns is not a team URI wants to measure itself against. URI is better. Then I thought it wasn't worth typing. But six hours later, here it is.

I am also bullish on this year's Rams. But I'm bullish on the Rams every year.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Mullin already on the hot seat?

I don’t think Neubauer is anything special, but who wants that job? Mooney’s name is also not a surprise.
Say it ain't so Little Ricky!
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago Mullin already on the hot seat?

Say it ain't so Little Ricky!
I could very happily live in a Pitino-less basketball world.
6 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago
Tate started because they needed a little more size with Harris being out, but Martin played 32 minutes to Tates 19 minutes. Pretty impressive that a freshman played that many minutes in his first game, a scrimmage that it was. And Tate's 19 minutes for a freshman is impressive as well. All of the freshmen had pretty good numbers. Silverio had a very efficient game for the 10 minutes that he played. This bodes well for the team.

Fatts played 37 minutes, took 18 shots and did not shoot one free throw. He did have six assists and four rebounds. I think he is going to have a terrific year. All of the guards rebounded well, Dowtin had 6 and Thompson also had 6. They are going to have to do this, as in this game, this team looked a lot like last years team size wise and only had one big on the court most of the time. Interesting that Preston only got five minutes. Was told he was much improved and might get a little more run. Not in this game. Despite this, had a one rebound advantage. Langevine was a beast. Imperative that he stays healthy and out of foul trouble.

With Harris, maybe they play a little bigger with both him and Langevine on the court together. I am more optimistic than most on this board, I think this team finishes third in the A10. But in order to reach this level, I think Preston has to be a factor and they have to stay healthy. Will be fun to watch it unfold.
Some comments on your thoughts
Tate started because he is the backup to Harris. Doing the math Rhody had two bigmen in half the game and one bigman in with Martin the other half. I am guessing that St John’s went smalle so Cox responded.

Fatts needs to get to the FT line. He needs to drive more. He can’t be just an outside shooter. I am expecting him to get fastbreak baskets with his speed which should bring his shooting percentage up.

With Harris they WILL (not maybe) play two bigs a lot more. I would expect Harris to play 25 mins/game. Tate could get 10-15 mins depending on foul trouble for Harris and Cyril. Preston will probably get 5-8 mins. Preston is the 9th man in the rotation. Rarely does the 9th man have an impact on the team’s overall record.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Fatts needs to be sneaky on driving to the basket He doesn’t have the size like Terrell.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Fatts needs to be sneaky on driving to the basket He doesn’t have the size like Terrell.
My vote is for ==> start jakkin 3's from the minute he hits the floor. ;)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fatts is a scorer, not a shooter. He’s gonna get his points and he’s gonna be a menace on defense. I don’t ever see him as a highly efficient shooter bc his aggressiveness at times will have him taking some tough shots. But the good will outweigh the bad, and when his shot is on he will have 25+ point nights.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

As long as he stays away from the trees he will be good. He can drive but a big stationed under the rim will block him most times.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

3s and more 3s. Take it to the basket so you can kick it out for a 3.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago We need a Pace thread going now.
Any chance there’s video for this one?

I’d even take low quality, back and forth single camera view.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Feel free. I will do the game threads for the regular season, and if I have time I’ll do one for Pace, but this week is a tough one for me.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Per gorhody...

NO BROADCAST FOR CONTEST

The exhibition game between Rhode Island and Pace will not have a stream or radio call from B101.
The game will be played with regulation rules.
WRIU, the student radio station for the University of Rhode Island will have the game.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 1020icxbat
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago

Per gorhody...

NO BROADCAST FOR CONTEST

The exhibition game between Rhode Island and Pace will not have a stream or radio call from B101.
The game will be played with regulation rules.
WRIU, the student radio station for the University of Rhode Island will have the game.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 1020icxbat
Thought that would be the case, but thanks for the info!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not even radio? That kinda sucks! Who is going and ready to stream the whole game on Periscope or IG?
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dowtin 5-7 on threes is very nice and if we get consistent production like that from Cyril look out !!
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice to see confirmation in that Disano piece that Harris is a go for Thursday.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yeah there’s a bug going around campus. Nothing to worry about.
0 x