2018-2019 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2018-2019 Rotation

Unread post by ace »

Hopefully they’re just being extra cautious with the boot. Fatts needs that quickness- heal up fast!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Fatts IG story has him getting treatment and then in a walking boot.
Saw that too. Anyone have an idea what happened and also what Omar status is and how much time they’ll miss?
No idea on Fatts. Omar is back already. I talked to him at the season ticket holder event. He had just started practicing.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not the news I wanted to hear in Fatts but it's way early and I am certain he will be fine
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Pointing out the obvious here but with this years team being so short with depth, two or even one critical injury will really set us back. Hopefully Fatts is ok.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago Pointing out the obvious here but with this years team being so short with depth, two or even one critical injury will really set us back. Hopefully Fatts is ok.
This is the exact reason I have been a little less optimistic about this season as some others and feel like a middle of the pack finish in the A10 is likely. The depth just isn't there. This freshman class will be very good when its all said and done, but expecting them to carry the load if our depth gets tested is a tall task. Even if its not injuries, just foul trouble game to game could be a major factor.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I agree Cyril needs to take a major step forward in respect to staying out of foul trouble and Harris fouled out of his high school games a lot. I fear There will be a big drop off when we have to go to the bench until the freshmen get up to speed, that Akele would have helped with.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Agreed. Cyril played 18 minutes/game last year and averaged 3 fouls per game. I'll be surprised if he plays more than 20-25 minutes a game. And defense is typically tough on freshman big men so it could become an issue for Harris to. Then things get pretty thin after that. I don't think the days of 4 guard lineups are behind us.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Saw the boys at the football game today. Harris might be 6’10.
2 x
GO RAMS
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Agreed. Cyril played 18 minutes/game last year and averaged 3 fouls per game. I'll be surprised if he plays more than 20-25 minutes a game. And defense is typically tough on freshman big men so it could become an issue for Harris to. Then things get pretty thin after that. I don't think the days of 4 guard lineups are behind us.
Tate and then Preston will get those minutes, Tate would easily be able to handle himself down low when need be.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Agreed. Cyril played 18 minutes/game last year and averaged 3 fouls per game. I'll be surprised if he plays more than 20-25 minutes a game. And defense is typically tough on freshman big men so it could become an issue for Harris to. Then things get pretty thin after that. I don't think the days of 4 guard lineups are behind us.
Hassan Martin averaged 27 minutes/game in his career (ranged by year between 26-29). If you extrapolated Cyril’s 3 fouls/18 mins avg it would be 4 fouls in 24 mins and 5 fouls in 30 mins. I think having some size out there with him (Harris, Preston & Tate) and being healthy will help. 25 mins/game would be a good average.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also think Preston gets a lot of time due to Cyril getting in foul trouble
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

If Langevine and Harris have constant foul issues I think they may have them backing each other up with the four being played by Tate, Martin, and/or Preston.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Tate is 6'5"-6'6". He's not guarding another team's big man.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

A solidly built 6’6” guy can check another team’s four in the A10, and for most teams we would play from power conferences. At least for short stints. Yes, if we run into another Duke-type team like we did last year it won’t work out well, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
Tate and then Preston will get those minutes, Tate would easily be able to handle himself down low when need be.
Easily? I hope thats true, but saying a freshman will be able to easily do anything in year one is far from a sure thing.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Hassan Martin averaged 27 minutes/game in his career (ranged by year between 26-29). If you extrapolated Cyril’s 3 fouls/18 mins avg it would be 4 fouls in 24 mins and 5 fouls in 30 mins. I think having some size out there with him (Harris, Preston & Tate) and being healthy will help. 25 mins/game would be a good average.
Agreed, 25 mins would be good. You make a good point about his health to. That could be a difference maker and help him stay on the court longer.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Chasing teams off of the three point line and not conceding good perimeter looks has been a hallmark of this defense for years. I wonder if shifting the emphasis away from that somewhat would result in less pressure on bigs (both in terms of helping against penetration and picking up ball handlers 25 feet from the hoop when we aggressively hedge on ball screens, two areas where I think our guys have picked up a lot of fouls). And I wonder if we thought that was true, whether we’d consider it worth it in order to keep Cyril and Harris on the floor for more minutes. I’d be tempted to say that it would be worth it.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

So now Dana Tate is only 6'5 - 6'6 ? Is that true ? And someone said Hassan Martin was 6'5 recently . These guys must be shrinking .
Tate is listed at 6'7 on the roster . I hope that is correct and he is not 6'5 Billyboy. Of course last year Harris was said to be 6'9 often ,
but he is listed as 6'8 on the roster . I hope I won't be hearing later that he is only 6'6 or 6'7 or that Mcleod is only 6'11 after he commits .
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

luke wrote: 5 years ago So now Dana Tate is only 6'5 - 6'6 ? Is that true ? And someone said Hassan Martin was 6'5 recently . These guys must be shrinking .
Tate is listed at 6'7 on the roster . I hope that is correct and he is not 6'5 Billyboy. Of course last year Harris was said to be 6'9 often ,
but he is listed as 6'8 on the roster . I hope I won't be hearing later that he is only 6'6 or 6'7 or that Mcleod is only 6'11 after he commits .
I've seen him play 3 or 4 times and he doesn't look 6'7" to me. But as we know, most heights are exaggerated. One thing I can tell you though, he is strong.
0 x
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

Height is only one factor. I'll mention a few guys that held their own despite being surrounded by taller players. Rodman (6-7) , Barkley (6-6), and the best of them, Wes Unseld (6-7). Those guys dominated.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

On height - I was talking to Cyril when all three of them were together. Tate is 6’7”. Cyril is 6’7”-6’8”. Harris is 6’9”.
Visually Tate was less than an inch shorter than Cyril. I was joking with Cyril that Harris said he was taller (which he clearly is) and Cyril’s response was only by about an inch.

I can tell you that Tate and Cyril are as least as tall as Hass (who did ok underneath). Harris is a big man.
I would say Preston is the same height as Tate (6’7”).

So you have 4 guys in the rotation that can play the four and five.

No way Martin plays the four.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago On height - I was talking to Cyril when all three of them were together. Tate is 6’7”. Cyril is 6’7”-6’8”. Harris is 6’9”.
Visually Tate was less than an inch shorter than Cyril. I was joking with Cyril that Harris said he was taller (which he clearly is) and Cyril’s response was only by about an inch.

I can tell you that Tate and Cyril are as least as tall as Hass (who did ok underneath). Harris is a big man.
I would say Preston is the same height as Tate (6’7”).

So you have 4 guys in the rotation that can play the four and five.

No way Martin plays the four.
This was my assumptions as well. Martin is clearly the 5th option at best at the front court positions. However Robinson at 6-4 made that work last year so it wouldn’t surprise me if Preston doesn’t improve that he spends some time there if that is our best option for short spurts.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Based on just looking at our team objectively, here our my thoughts on rotations.

Remember, these are the days of positionless basketball.

Starters
Dowtin, Fatts, Martin, Harris, and Cyril

Rotation players in order
Tate, Thompson, Omar, and Preston

2019-2020 estimate (why not right? It’s all for fun anyway)

Starters
Same starting five

Rotation players
Tate, Omar, McLeod (if he commits), Thompson with Long and Hammond working their way in. I see mading redshirting one year for development purposes but this obviously won’t be decided until the coaching staff that fall sees where everybody currently stands development wise. I like how this staff gives everyone a chance to play, it’s up to the player whether or not they want to work for it or not.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago Based on just looking at our team objectively, here our my thoughts on rotations.

Remember, these are the days of positionless basketball.

Starters
Dowtin, Fatts, Martin, Harris, and Cyril

Rotation players in order
Tate, Thompson, Omar, and Preston

2019-2020 estimate (why not right? It’s all for fun anyway)

Starters
Same starting five

Rotation players
Tate, Omar, McLeod (if he commits), Thompson with Long and Hammond working their way in. I see mading redshirting one year for development purposes but this obviously won’t be decided until the coaching staff that fall sees where everybody currently stands development wise. I like how this staff gives everyone a chance to play, it’s up to the player whether or not they want to work for it or not.
The starting three is between Martin and Thompson. I know you want it to be positionless basketball but if Cyril or Harris pick up two fouls, Preston or Tate will be in. My guess is Preston is the backup/sub for Cyril and Tate is the backup/sub for Harris. The first sub for the Guards (1-3) will be whover doesn’t start between Martin and Thompson.

Two years ago (full rotation) Dan use to like to begin rotating the starters out 7:00 minutes in and have every starter sit for three minutes. One - three would play about 14 minutes in the half. Forwards would play 10-13 minutes. Same sub pattern for first part of second half. Last 8 minutes of the game depended on game situation. I could see Cox doing the same with a 8-9 man rotation.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Chasing teams off of the three point line and not conceding good perimeter looks has been a hallmark of this defense for years. I wonder if shifting the emphasis away from that somewhat would result in less pressure on bigs (both in terms of helping against penetration and picking up ball handlers 25 feet from the hoop when we aggressively hedge on ball screens, two areas where I think our guys have picked up a lot of fouls). And I wonder if we thought that was true, whether we’d consider it worth it in order to keep Cyril and Harris on the floor for more minutes. I’d be tempted to say that it would be worth it.
I think defensively Cox will have a similar philosophy to DH in that he will do lots of ball pressure and hedging out . I think where they may differ will be on the offensive end
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts 100% at practice today. Full participation.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There's a new player on the roster named Jordan Green. I assume he's a walk-on?
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

OrangeRam wrote: 5 years ago Height is only one factor. I'll mention a few guys that held their own despite being surrounded by taller players. Rodman (6-7) , Barkley (6-6), and the best of them, Wes Unseld (6-7). Those guys dominated.
Barkley was only 6-4 and Unseld, after his final game, admitted to 6-5 1/2.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago There's a new player on the roster named Jordan Green. I assume he's a walk-on?

Yes. Another practice body.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A leader
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
I’m in the market for a new favorite player. Fatts is the obvious answer but maybe the other PA guy instead? Not sure about him yet. Maybe I go all in on Christion.
It’s going to be Tyrese Martin. Now I need a good picture but might have to wait for game action. I’m predicting a season like Dowtin where he becomes a previously unexpected member of the All-Rookie conference team.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This kid can shoot

3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago This kid can shoot

He's got a nice looking shot and he looked impressive in those NYC playground videos in the summer. It'll be interesting to see if he ends up having a better career than Adams.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Omar can shoot it, no doubt. That’s his rep.
I imagine the speed of the game will be his biggest adjustment, i imagine they are working on getting his shot off quicker, getting better off the dribble. Also told his ball handling will need to improve, but he’s a big physical guard that can shoot it. That’s a good base to work from. Look forward to watching his development.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They have Omar working a lot at PG. Not sure about your ball handling skills comment.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's going to be key having as many good shooters as possible especially from 3 point land
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago They have Omar working a lot at PG. Not sure about your ball handling skills comment.
That came directly from a few kids who played against him in HS last year, I am sure it’s gotten better since then and will continue to improve. But his size and shooting ability are what they called out as his greatest strengths.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago They have Omar working a lot at PG. Not sure about your ball handling skills comment.
That came directly from a few kids who played against him in HS last year, I am sure it’s gotten better since then and will continue to improve. But his size and shooting ability are what they called out as his greatest strengths.
I was going to point out how big he is. What a big group URI is.

I find most peers will say someone cant dribble. Usually not true.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It is possible that they envision him playing at least some point AND that he still needs to tighten up his ball handling a little bit. It isn’t unusual for a freshman to require some skills development, even if that freshman is really good.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Exactly. For context Jared Terrell needed to work on his ball handling when he came in, and look how that worked out. Was merely pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of his game, as they have been described by kids from St Ray's (Omar's HS) and Xaverian (opponent). Every kid is coming in as a work in progress with areas of improvement. As others pointed out, his size and shooting ability are plenty enough to be excited about.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

In today's game, positions are almost meaningless. Everybody has to have a handle ... or at least be able to take three dribbles without kicking it away.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The face of this year’s team.
2 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Definitely look rough around the edges.
Tate Started.
Harris a foul machine tonight.
Cyril, Fatts and Jeff all preforming as expected, looking really good,

We should have a stickie post with the whole roster explained.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Young team playing more uptempo equals lots of ups and downs...….
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....no Tertsea time.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Young team playing more uptempo equals lots of ups and downs...….
Cox has said they have to play fast because they are young. Will be interesting to see if that style is maintained. It leads to equal amounts of highlight reel stuff and fodder for rough film review sessions.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

True Ace. Freshmen aren't ready to handle a lot of sets. Trying to remember and execute a lot of different plays is for older more experienced teams.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The face of this year’s team.
I think that is the picture for the banner this year. Everyone else is a question mark
0 x