‘19 LA SG - Gregory Hammond (URI ---> UMass-Lowell)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: ‘19 LA SG - Gregory Hammond

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I want them both. Mading can literally play 4 positions. He’s 6’10 and is smooth as a PG. I think your letting people who’ve seen him play 2-3 times cloud your judgement. The kid can play.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I want them both. Mading can literally play 4 positions. He’s 6’10 and is smooth as a PG. I think your letting people who’ve seen him play 2-3 times cloud your judgement. The kid can play.
Agree totally
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I want them both. Mading can literally play 4 positions. He’s 6’10 and is smooth as a PG. I think your letting people who’ve seen him play 2-3 times cloud your judgement. The kid can play.
Mading plays against absolutely horrible competition. There's very little chance he plays anything more than the 4 or 5 in college. He has a face up offensive game, but he definitely wouldn't be able to dribble against a coordinated D1 SF. I'm not against taking him, but thinking he can actually play 4 positions is fools gold in my opinion. We'll find out in a few years though.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Playing great competition is an indicator of future success. But not playing that same competition does not disqualify these kids. Plenty of ppl here in RI have played well in college and not faced the nationally elite hs competition.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
giovanni
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FattsAndFurious wrote: 5 years ago
Mading plays against absolutely horrible competition. There's very little chance he plays anything more than the 4 or 5 in college. He has a face up offensive game, but he definitely wouldn't be able to dribble against a coordinated D1 SF. I'm not against taking him, but thinking he can actually play 4 positions is fools gold in my opinion. We'll find out in a few years though.
Totally disagree in regards to his level of comp. However, I’ll defer, and wait to see what the next 4 bring. I want the kid, and I’ve seen my share of ball all over the map.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC Ram you seem to have a bias for Mading. I have bias for certain recruits too. I know he is from MD. Do you know him?
How many games have you seen him play?

The non-circuit AAU teams are playing a level lower than the circuit AAU teams (Nike, Adidas & UA). There is no disbuting that. Mading and McLeod played against lower competition this summer.

Regarding Seawrights comment on competition. If a top player goes against lower level competition, he needs to stick. He should dominate portions of the game.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago DC Ram you seem to have a bias for Mading. I have bias for certain recruits too. I know he is from MD. Do you know him?
How many games have you seen him play?

The non-circuit AAU teams are playing a level lower than the circuit AAU teams (Nike, Adidas & UA). There is no disbuting that. Mading and McLeod played against lower competition this summer.

Regarding Seawrights comment on competition. If a top player goes against lower level competition, he needs to stick. He should dominate portions of the game.
No bias, but he has an on and off switch like most HS seniors do. I’ve seen him dominate and I’ve seen him play very lax. I’m biased on staff evals, because I trust they know more than any of us, until proven otherwise. That’s it.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago Playing great competition is an indicator of future success. But not playing that same competition does not disqualify these kids. Plenty of ppl here in RI have played well in college and not faced the nationally elite hs competition.
The NBA provides plenty of examples of this, too. I think the lack of elite competition makes the evaluation and scouting tougher, but it doesn't mean the guy is automatically going to bust or that it'll work out perfect. Plenty of examples on both side of the ledger - Giannis vs. Darko, etc.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hammond visit starts tomorrow. I thought he was the replacement for Bishop. He is a better shooter than Bishop and Bishop is a better slasher.

Unsure now if there is a spot for him until Walker and McLeod make a decision.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Hammond visit starts tomorrow. I thought he was the replacement for Bishop. He is a better shooter than Bishop and Bishop is a better slasher.

Unsure now if there is a spot for him until Walker and McLeod make a decision.
Anything to be read into that it is a Wednesday through Friday visit? Do not recall any other Rhody visits that were during the week. I know Walker did a similar thing when he visited Illinois.

Generally agree about waiting for a decision from the other 2, but if they are recruiting for four spots, they just need to wait for one and not both, unless the first one is a yes then they have to wait for the other one as well. And I wonder if they like him and the fit, and the feeling is mutual, they may just take him and let the chips fall where they will.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walker visited Illinios before school started up at Brewster. Not sure on Hammond other than the dates worked for him and the coaches.

You talk yourself in and out of what process they will take with Hammond around an accepted offer. They need to wait until they get a no from McLeod or Walker. If they get a yes from both there isn’t a spot for Hammond. If they move on Hammond before an answer from the other two, then they have been told by one of the recruits that RI is no longer being considered.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

They liked Hammond enough after visiting with him and his family that they offered him and then extended him an official visit.

The arrangements were put together quickly enough to indicate there's strong mutual interest on both sides.

I get the intuitive feeling that Coach Cox is of the mindset that he wants players who WANT to be on his team. I think if Hammond commits Coach Cox accepts and then the last schollie is between Walker and McLeod, whoever commits to Coach Cox first.

They've waited a couple weeks on McLeod to make a decision. He seems no closer now then he was 2 weeks ago. And it appears that Walker is going to play out his recruitment to the end.

To accept Hammond's commitment is a bit of a gamble, but it's ballsy and neither McLeod or Walker alone is going to significantly alter what will be a pretty strong team in 19/20. There's always another player out there, the same way Adam's spot became Silverio's or Bishop evolved into Hammond.

I think they accept Hammond if he wants to come.
Last edited by reckless jake 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It's great to get bigs but it's still a guard's game and you need at least one per class. I think Hammond verbals right after visit.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Reckless, I am glad you aren’t leading the recruiting effort.

Your comments are way off:
I get the intuitive feeling that Coach Cox is of the mindset that he wants players who WANT to be on his team. I think if Hammond commits Coach Cox accepts and then the last schollie is between Walker and McLeod, whoever commits to Coach Cox first.

They've waited a couple weeks on McLeod to make a decision. He seems no closer now then he was 2 weeks ago. And it appears that Walker is going to play out his recruitment to the end.

What have Walker or McLeod done to say they don’t want to be here. Walker said his visit to Kingston was excellent. He also visited in the summer. He has also met with the coaches several times at Brewster. To say on Oct 2nd that a recruit has been given enough time is crazy. You don’t even know if Rhody would accept a commitment from McLeod right now. Maybe they are holding him off until they get a decision from Walker. McLeod is going to visit again for the Rhody Madness in two weeks. Approximately 50% of the Top 150 (which Walker & McLeod are part of) haven’t made a decision. I wonder if the top schools recruiting them are moving on. Coach Cox will always have a spot for the top player (Walker).
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

You can only take his commitment if Walker is a no go. No need to rush it.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FattsAndFurious wrote: 5 years ago You can only take his commitment if Walker is a no go. No need to rush it.
Folks keep saying, “no need to rush it”. We do not have the luxury of holding off commitments. Those are P5 luxuries. On a case by case basis, that can be done. The staff has done that before with guys like Somerville (most recently) because he’s an absolute last resort, and he would likely commit on the spot if the staff indicates, we would accept. Those conversations are had behind closed doors and with tact. The process, at times, can be too fluid for its own good, the end goal is to be confident enough in the preferred recruit to wait AND rest assured that back up is on board with being the backup. If we accept a commitment from Hammond or McLeod it could be for a host of reasons a. They are ready to commit b. Not enough confidence in getting commitment from player your waiting on c. They fit a need for the class and are the best available (PERIOD)
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Has Hammond arrived or is he getting here tonight?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hammond verbals by Monday.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Hammond verbals by Monday.
I agree.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

If not sooner. Like by the weekend.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I still would rather wait for McLeod and Walker to both decide before taking this verbal. The lack of other high major schools involved with him has me concerned no matter what 247 sports has him ranked at. Obviously i’ve never seen him play so it’s not an educated assessment.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Idk, i really like Hammond as a player (based on what I’ve seen), and if you end up with Walker or McLeod to complete the class you’ve done really well. If it’s Walker, you’ve done really, really well, and McLeod is an exciting prospect, too. You need guards in college basketball.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Idk, i really like Hammond as a player (based on what I’ve seen), and if you end up with Walker or McLeod to complete the class you’ve done really well. If it’s Walker, you’ve done really, really well, and McLeod is an exciting prospect, too. You need guards in college basketball.
Truepoint, totally agree with your guard statement. However we would still have Dowtin, Fatts, Thompson, Martin, and Omar for 19-20 and can recruit two guards for the following class. I think we have to give McLeod and Walker a chance to make a decision, two exciting high impact type players.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we get Hammond and either Walker or McLeod, then someone is leaving after this season.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago If we get Hammond and either Walker or McLeod, then someone is leaving after this season.
My guess it’s Thompson. But that’s all it is .... a guess.
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It won’t be Thompson.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

If not Thompson than it would probably be Tertsea. If it were anyone else it would be a very valuable player that we would lose. I know we don’t know any of this for sure, but with a 4th scholarship it will have to be someone.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I thought it was already accepted that this is a four player class
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It seems likely to me that having Thompson here would be a plus for Hammond.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

At this point, I think Tertsea is here to get an education more than he is to play basketball. If he is going to transfer after this year, why hasn't he done it already?
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago If not Thompson than it would probably be Tertsea. If it were anyone else it would be a very valuable player that we would lose. I know we don’t know any of this for sure, but with a 4th scholarship it will have to be someone.

I know it’s starting to get a little off topic but what’s the reasoning for thinking it will be Thompson or Tertsea to jump ship? If they’re looking to pick up more playing time elsewhere they’ll still have to sit a year
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It is possible that Tertsea may be an early graduate like Eric Y was....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago It is possible that Tertsea may be an early graduate like Eric Y was....
Let’s hope so. Would much rather that be how we open the 4th than a lot of other options
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago It won’t be Thompson.
I’m happy to be wrong ;-)
Slava Ukraini!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago If not Thompson than it would probably be Tertsea. If it were anyone else it would be a very valuable player that we would lose. I know we don’t know any of this for sure, but with a 4th scholarship it will have to be someone.

I know it’s starting to get a little off topic but what’s the reasoning for thinking it will be Thompson or Tertsea to jump ship? If they’re looking to pick up more playing time elsewhere they’ll still have to sit a year
It isn’t that that Thompson or Tertsea are leaving, but someone will have to leave early in order to get a 4 man class for 2019 that everyone is predicting. I agree that Tertsea seems to enjoy being on the team and is probably valuing his education. Thompson seemed like a logical choice because will graduate after this year despite having one more year of eligibility. I like Thomoson and hope he stays. The Tertsea graduating early might a possibility.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hammond is our Bishop backup, we are taking his commitment.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

They should take his commitment and agree that he will most likely be a RAM by next week. He is a very solid player that is underrated and looks like he could average 12-14 ppg someday. We need a potential scorer in this class and he is it. I guess this means McLeod will hopefully sign with URI and Walker with Pittsburgh unless we can somehow convince him otherwise.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's secure this commitment from Hammond then get either MCLeod or Walker and then we got ourselves a class
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago It won’t be Thompson.
I don’t get why this is so certain - if he has a good year, he can go to Europe and make some money. If he has a down year, he ain’t playing the next year here so he may as well transfer. Unless he has an otherworldly year (which I am hoping for, but not expecting) where another year maybe propels him to the NBA status I don’t see a reason to stay.

Also think that if I was Tertsea, I would do everything I could to either graduate this year or in t the alternative be a mid-year transfer this year if there is no playing time for him this year. You never know though.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hammond just committed
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Boom! Welcome aboard Greg!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Hammond just committed
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘19 LA SG - Gregory Hammond (URI Verbal Commit)

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, that fills all the current openings.

If McLeod or Walker commit, then someone is going.....very likely Mike T.

Also means that we won't be getting both of the above. I think we are going to get one of them....so who blinks first lol?
giovanni
Carlton Owens

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We might having the tallest team in the A10 in a few seasons.
GO RAMS