‘19 F Anthony Walker (Miami ---> Indiana)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘19 MD F Anthony Walker (Offer)

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago In the last 7 years Pitts has won 1 game in the NCAA Tournament. In 2015 they lost in the first round of the NIT to a team from a “3rd rate high school league” GW.

Their mistake is that they associate themselves with the top of the ACC. They have only been in the ACC 5 years. They have had a winning record once (11-7) and it was 5 years ago. Their overall ACC record is 32-58. They aren’t getting to the top tier of the ACC any time soon. They will have another losing conference record again this year and will not make the NCAA Tournament again.
Right you are. Pitt has been a trended down in Basketball since joining the ACC from the Big East and their Football Program has not performed well either
Basketball:
2017: 8-24 (0-18) and lost 19 straight games
2016: 16-17 (4-14)
2015: 21-12 (9-9)
2014: 19-15 (8-10)
2013: 26-10 (11-7)

Football:
2018: 2-2 (1-1)
2017: 5-7 (3-5)
2016: 8-5 (5-3)
2015: 8-5 (6-2)
2014: 6-7 (4-4)
2013: 7-6 (3-5)
Are two years a trend?
Basketball lost their coach to TCU.
Football lost their coach to Wisconsin.
Those coaches did not flame out just because they went from the Big East to the ACC.
In fact, both coaches turned their success into very lucrative contracts at other schools.
Basketball made a horrible hire and already has worked to course correct.
On paper, Kevin Stallings was not a bad hire.
In his last 13 years at Vanderbilt, they made 7 NCAA's and 3 NIT's.
But he was the type of person who had worn out his welcome with Vanderbilt, and that attitude quickly destroyed that basketball team.
The jury is still out on the football coach.
They might need to make a tough decision soon.
I don't look at Pittsburgh and say it's impossible for that school to compete in the ACC.
They just need the right coaches (and frankly think they can get them given the money they are willing to spend).
Capel is another good hire on paper, it'll be interesting to see how it translated.
I think a school like Rutgers at this point is going to be hard-pressed to find a quality basketball coach willing to go there.
You can blame it all in Coaches who underperformed
I’d say it’s more than just that
Look at the Big East Teams who moved to the ACC. Many have underperformed in both Football and Basketball:
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Miami
Syracuse
Boston College
Louisville
Then you have Rutgers and West Virginia
Did they all have bad coaches? No
Would and if them choose to return to the Big East? Of course not, no possible way
But programs like Duke, Clemson, North Carolina, Florida State, NC State etc are all strong formidable programs
Your not in Kansas any more Dorothy and you’d best gave extremely good coaches if you think about bypassing the ACC established teams.
But I’d trade Conference places with Boston College and URI if I could.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walker did not make the trip to Kansas. Next up is an OV at Miami next weekend.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Hopefully Walker doesn't decide to bring his talents to South Beach.
Miami is a beautiful campus. Hope Mama can keep him closer to home.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Two of Walker’s new Brewster teammates are making their announcements Tuesday. Here is to wishing Walker announces Rhody on Tuesday with him. We can all wish :)

1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Tweet from Walker tonight. This has Rhody Rhody Rhody all over it :)
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Tweet from Walker tonight. This has Rhody Rhody Rhody all over it :)
LOL - I wish it had Rhody written all over it. Will have to continue being patient here - hope it's raining next weekend in Miami
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It's FSU v Miami next weekend.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s stating the obvious, but Walker is so key to this whole class. With the other guys they’re narrowing in on, URI seems to pretty much be their best offer. I know McLeod has the FSU visit scheduled, but I feel like a lot would have to go wrong for FSU to get to him. There are always players that are under-recruited, but it’s rough to build a class hoping almost every guy is that one. They’ll be in it until the end for Walker and they’ve recruited him well, which is all you can ask of a staff.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree Ace, Walker is very important.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agree with you Ace. You can’t have an entire class of recruits that need to develop or have the big upside label.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Five schools named in the opening of the first trail from the NCAA basketball scandal. Trial started today. Miami named. How can a recruit take the chance of signing with one of these schools? You would think NCAA penalties will follow these trials.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Remember that URI doesn’t like to promote its visits. They know where they stand and so does Walker and his mother.
The URI coaching staff isn’t going to be outworked in the recruitment of Walker.
Sutton is planning to visit Brewster every week. Cox will join him on some of the visits.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Is BC a player here? I know they were part of his final 8, but since they were not one of his 5 officials, thought they were out. What say you Rhody83.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

BC isn’t giving up. They are obviously reasonable distance from Brewster. I am sure they are trying to convince Walker to take an unofficial visit there. Nothing is planned. There is weekend gap between Miami visit this upcoming weekend and his scheduled VCU visit (that many think Walker will not make).
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s visiting VCU.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe he will visit VCU. Others don’t. They think he will make a decision in the week between Miami and VCU.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I believe he will visit VCU. Others don’t. They think he will make a decision in the week between Miami and VCU.
I think he already has made a decision, he’s just letting the process play out.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Not that I know any inside info, but I haven't had a great feeling since he deleted his URI Instagram post a few weeks ago. But its still on Twitter so who knows.
0 x
GO RAMS
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I believe he will visit VCU. Others don’t. They think he will make a decision in the week between Miami and VCU.
Do you have guess on who the decision is?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
Pitt
0 x
DC_URI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DC_URI »

Pitt
It was URI all the way until now. But going to try to reach one of the AAU coach today. If we can reach the main guy to give any informations, I will share with the board
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_URI wrote: 5 years ago

Pitt
It was URI all the way until now. But going to try to reach one of the AAU coach today. If we can reach the main guy to give any informations, I will share with the board
...it wouldn’t have been a secret to the staff if URI were in the lead or the favorite. I’m sure they would’ve held out if they heard or knew otherwise.
0 x
DC_URI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DC_URI »

Pitt
...it wouldn’t have been a secret to the staff if URI were in the lead or the favorite. I’m sure they would’ve held out if they heard or knew otherwise.
What secret?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It could be that URI sees Mading playing the 3 and Walker playing the 4. And has communicated that to Walker. A man can dream right. Rhody staff is too experienced to blow the chance on landing Walker by committing to Mading early. No way Cox would do that.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

What secret?
If the staff knew they were the favorite, they would not have blown up their recruitment of Walker by taking Mading. The staff clearly has a plan in place.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea I dont see a problem with getting Walker and Mading.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Another option could be what happened with Amir Harris last year. He committed and Rhody still went after and got Adams. Once Adams committed, Amir decommitted. Rhody staff could’ve told Walker that Mading is only a backup. Verbal commits are not binding and players do get recruited over every year.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Another option could be what happened with Amir Harris last year. He committed and Rhody still went after and got Adams. Once Adams committed, Amir decommitted. Rhody staff could’ve told Walker that Mading is only a backup. Verbal commits are not binding and players do get recruited over every year.
you could do that, but than you build a reputation for recruiting over people which impacts your ability to recruit in the future. URI and the staff are committed to Mading and we need to come to terms Walker's recruiting with URI is over. It was a strategic decision:

1.) take what's in front of you, a similar recruit in size and ability to walker, but not developed as of yet. Risk is he never develops into what Walker currently is, but you have a recruit in place.
2.) continue to wait out the Walker situation. Risk is you lose both Walker and Mading. The coaching staff had to make a decision and must have thought Option 1 was the best course of action.

I don't see how Mading and Walker would want to be on the same team in the same class. McLeod, Mading, Hammond and Long combined with the 2018 class would be devastating to the A10 over the next few years
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Wouldn't Mading be a bench player his 1st 2 years? Walker knows he's a starter his 1st year, maybe day 1. Why can't you have both?
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Another option could be what happened with Amir Harris last year. He committed and Rhody still went after and got Adams. Once Adams committed, Amir decommitted. Rhody staff could’ve told Walker that Mading is only a backup. Verbal commits are not binding and players do get recruited over every year.
Just a few thoughts based mostly on what I've read and the few video clips I've seen...

1. Mading and Walker aren't similar, interchangeable players. Forget 3/4/5 nomenclature, Mading is clearly a wing and Walker is an interior player. They're complimentary pieces to each other.

2. If I'm Walker, I'm not worried so much about Mading's commitment and how it impacts my playing time as much as I'm thinking about how I'm going to get significant playing time with Jermaine Harris and Dana Tate one year ahead of me.

3. If anyone might be considering "de-comitting" as a result of being recruited over, a more likely candidate might be Long, who doesn't have Mading's ball skills, Walker's power game, or Ty Martin's scoring ability.
Last edited by reckless jake 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In the 1 game i saw Walker play he spent 90% of his time on the perimeter playing face to basket. He shot multiple threes and was adept at putting the ball on the floor and exhibiting guard like skills. I don’t think I ever saw him catch the ball on the low block. Now that was only 1 game but I didn’t leave thinking he was an “interior player”.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Coach Cox mentioned that he wanted to work on keeping Harris in the paint more, so maybe its just coaching and discipline. Lets face it, big men in college still matter and we have guards.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am hearing that nothing has changed regarding Walker from the Mading signing from two sources. It seems to be between Rhody and Pitt. Hearing similar info that DC_RI posted a few days back. Rhody staff sees Mading as a 3 playing outside who will contribute in his Soph year.
5 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Any chance a red shirt year for Mading is in play here?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Any chance a red shirt year for Mading is in play here?
Common sense says if he needs one and the team
already has 11 healthy bodies than why not. He won’t get any minutes next year anyway so minus well save a year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Any chance a red shirt year for Mading is in play here?
No.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We are still alive people. Keep the faith.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Feedback from Walker’s visit - he really hit it off with Fatts and Jermaine Harris. He knew Harris from DMV events. I believe they both went to the coaches’ dinner with Walker and his mother.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What are the positives for Pittsburgh, other than playing time and the conference. Did he like the campus? The players? The coaches? Did his mom like it there?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago What are the positives for Pittsburgh, other than playing time and the conference. Did he like the campus? The players? The coaches? Did his mom like it there?
Lol. I don’t think they share that. He gave comments about the three visits he has taken. Positives about all three.
Pitts is closer than URI for his mother.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s in Miami.

Hopefully that storm cloud scares him away from committing there.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walker IG story - video at the Ritz Carlton in Miami. High end
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Different world down there.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They have nice beaches too
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on AW Kingston RI where you will feel part of building something special and being a key cog vs South Beach where you will be nothing special easy choice and you know mom wants URI make her happy
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/20 ... 840/page-2

coach L and walker having lunch - looking who is coming in this weekend for miami and some others who have miami in their top 3 (cj walker) hard to imagine walker is plan A for Miami
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

What's interesting is Pitt still has a goose egg with 2019 recruits, which earlier this week I thought pretty much ended our prospects with Walker (along with the Mading commit). They are the only team, aside from Duke (ironically) in the ACC who doesn't have at least one recruit. However, little surprised Capel has nothing to show for his efforts. Their third priority Seth Lundy is now starting to lean Penn State. I realize their two top priorities (Walker and Wahab) are taking longer than most, but you think if recruits were buying into the Capel change he would have at least one by now given the fair amount of slots I think he needs to fill. I also get how there are a fair amount of recruits left, but given Capel is coming into a new situation you figured he would try to lock down one recruit fairly quickly to demonstrate kids believe in him and then make it easier to get some of the higher recruits in the coming weeks/months. Look at Hurley, he just locked up a pretty good backcourt which is gonna make it easier to recruit a 4 or maybe even 5 star big. With Pitt, you have a new coach and slots to fill, but still nothing - maybe it's gone take more than a year to get by the last place stigma and decent recruits are not interested in being guinea pigs in his first class. Who knows, but just thought it was interesting.
0 x
DC_URI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DC_URI »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago What's interesting is Pitt still has a goose egg with 2019 recruits, which earlier this week I thought pretty much ended our prospects with Walker (along with the Mading commit). They are the only team, aside from Duke (ironically) in the ACC who doesn't have at least one recruit. However, little surprised Capel has nothing to show for his efforts. Their third priority Seth Lundy is now starting to lean Penn State. I realize their two top priorities (Walker and Wahab) are taking longer than most, but you think if recruits were buying into the Capel change he would have at least one by now given the fair amount of slots I think he needs to fill. I also get how there are a fair amount of recruits left, but given Capel is coming into a new situation you figured he would try to lock down one recruit fairly quickly to demonstrate kids believe in him and then make it easier to get some of the higher recruits in the coming weeks/months. Look at Hurley, he just locked up a pretty good backcourt which is gonna make it easier to recruit a 4 or maybe even 5 star big. With Pitt, you have a new coach and slots to fill, but still nothing - maybe it's gone take more than a year to get by the last place stigma and decent recruits are not interested in being guinea pigs in his first class. Who knows, but just thought it was interesting.
You know one of our coach was at Pitt the last two years recruiting ? Why all this focus on Pitt?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago What's interesting is Pitt still has a goose egg with 2019 recruits, which earlier this week I thought pretty much ended our prospects with Walker (along with the Mading commit). They are the only team, aside from Duke (ironically) in the ACC who doesn't have at least one recruit. However, little surprised Capel has nothing to show for his efforts. Their third priority Seth Lundy is now starting to lean Penn State. I realize their two top priorities (Walker and Wahab) are taking longer than most, but you think if recruits were buying into the Capel change he would have at least one by now given the fair amount of slots I think he needs to fill. I also get how there are a fair amount of recruits left, but given Capel is coming into a new situation you figured he would try to lock down one recruit fairly quickly to demonstrate kids believe in him and then make it easier to get some of the higher recruits in the coming weeks/months. Look at Hurley, he just locked up a pretty good backcourt which is gonna make it easier to recruit a 4 or maybe even 5 star big. With Pitt, you have a new coach and slots to fill, but still nothing - maybe it's gone take more than a year to get by the last place stigma and decent recruits are not interested in being guinea pigs in his first class. Who knows, but just thought it was interesting.
You know one of our coach was at Pitt the last two years recruiting ? Why all this focus on Pitt?

because according to all the experts (rivals, 247 sports) Pitt is in the lead for Walker
0 x