'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (Offer)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
If they do than they won’t be getting both Walker and McLeod unless we feel that someone else is leaving after this season.
Wrong.
Right! I know you are never wrong as we saw from the recruitment of Tertsea.
Good one.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Boswell really like Mading a lot.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Boswell really like Mading a lot.
They will accept his commitment.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Boswell really like Mading a lot.
They will accept his commitment.
Great to hear. I really like this kid. Very nice upside.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mading visit very quiet so far. He is hardly ever on social media. He is also from a non-circuit AAU program and a smaller school in Springfield MA.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

We can debate the different opnions we have on a recruit’s talent and skill level. We can discount their ratings by the recruiting web sites. Many on the Board with experience have agreed that a good measure is the other schools that have made offers.
Mading is rated 300+. Forget that though. He has offers from Tulane, Hofstra, Quinnipiac & Rhode Island.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Since we're still in play with Walker and McLeod, and also Hammond, what happens if Mading wants to commit?

I don't think we can take all 4....although that would be a nice problem to have I guess.

Do we hold off on Mading until the other 2 bigs make their decisions?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

These are questions that will be answered over the next few weeks.
DC Rams says that URI will accept Madings verbal this weekend if he commits.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I say they accept Mading if he commits as well
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago I say they accept Mading if he commits as well
I really hope they hold off. I am in the camp that feels he is a project. I would much rather shoot for Walker, McLeod and Hammond which isn’t happening if he signs. If they had gotten a combination of Bishop, Walker, McLeod or Hammond and he was mixed in with him it would have been alright,
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mading is on campus for his official visit.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I really hope they hold off. I am in the camp that feels he is a project. I would much rather shoot for Walker, McLeod and Hammond which isn’t happening if he signs. If they had gotten a combination of Bishop, Walker, McLeod or Hammond and he was mixed in with him it would have been alright,
Fact he is on campus tells a lot. I think he commits and I’d be happy. This staff wants to upgrade the roster. My guess is we find room for the other 3 guys as well. They could’ve more Akele and Layssard roster moves. This staff knows what it’s doing.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Fact he is on campus tells a lot. I think he commits and I’d be happy. This staff wants to upgrade the roster. My guess is we find room for the other 3 guys as well. They could’ve more Akele and Layssard roster moves. This staff knows what it’s doing.
Bingo!

The staff will make it happen. Trust the process.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Is Mading even on his OV? Usually there is something floating about.
I know a lot of people aren't really excited about him, so maybe not the usually digging
for info going on. But this is strange to hear nothing. crickets?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago Is Mading even on his OV? Usually there is something floating about.
I know a lot of people aren't really excited about him, so maybe not the usually digging
for info going on. But this is strange to hear nothing. crickets?
He is on his official visit. That is confirmed. See my post above on the reasons you aren’t seeing anything on social media.

The team, school and coaches can’t put anything out regarding a recruit’s visit.

The current players he has been with haven’t posted anything on their social media either.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Appears they have taken Mading to dinner.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Right. Shogun Steak & Seafood House on Rte 1. Fatts, Martin, Mading & parent and the coaches.
Same place they took Walker to.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think we hear something soon on this one. If no commit by tomorrow, he will likely wait.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What does that mean? Is waiting hearing something soon?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I think we hear something soon on this one. If no commit by tomorrow, he will likely wait.
Hopefully he waits. He has offers from Quinipac, Hofstra and Tulane. We have Hammond coming in next week. Why would we want to rush until we met Hammond and got a better idea on where Walker and McLeod stand also.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Let’s just wait on this awhile.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Staff wants him. I think if they take him this weekend, we fill 4 ships.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I’m all for signing a 4 * recruit at any time. You get into low numbers there is no rush. At all.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

One thing I give Hurley credit for is getting high ranked recruits. Cox needs to replicate that or have some master plan to keep us on the national stage.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If you count the scholarship that was just used for Aris, how would you feel about the first three commits being Long, Aris & Mading?
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago One thing I give Hurley credit for is getting high ranked recruits. Cox needs to replicate that or have some master plan to keep us on the national stage.
Dan was here for six seasons and how many top 150 recruits did we sign during that time? Let’s give Cox six years and then let’s compare apples and apples. Cox hasn’t even coached a game yet so people need to relax. I don’t think recruiting will be our issue, I have faith in his ability.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago If you count the scholarship that was just used for Aris, how would you feel about the first three commits being Long, Aris & Mading?
Does anyone know anything about Aris still? Mading is 6-11 with tons of potential playing out at the perimeter potentially, staff knows what they are doing.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not in a rush but the two situations aren’t comparable. Dan came into a total rebuild. Cox is taking over an ascending program with the best recruiting class in school history.

How would you feel about selling Walker to “come be apart of this great recruiting class (Long and Mading)”?

Go get McLeod and try to use that to sell Walker.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago One thing I give Hurley credit for is getting high ranked recruits. Cox needs to replicate that or have some master plan to keep us on the national stage.
I’ve read some dumb sh_t on here before, and this is up there. Really, dude?

He’s been the HC for 3/4 months now. Most of the names on the roster, present and past, were from Cox.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Not in a rush but the two situations aren’t comparable. Dan came into a total rebuild. Cox is taking over an ascending program with the best recruiting class in school history.

How would you feel about selling Walker to “come be apart of this great recruiting class (Long and Mading)”?

Go get McLeod and try to use that to sell Walker.
But even with Long and Mading, Walker would be the headliner and would be positioned for not only immediate playing team but rather to be a foundational type player with Harris. That’s not a bad spot to be in.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago If you count the scholarship that was just used for Aris, how would you feel about the first three commits being Long, Aris & Mading?
Not good.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yes Cox was the lead recruiter on many of our recruits under Dan....but Hurley was still the HC and the "closer" on all of them.

David has to prove he can close the deal as well as Dan did....and I have full confidence that he will, but it might take a little more time as Cox has not coached his first game as HC yet.

It's clear to me that we can't take all 5 guys we're looking hard at right now....meaning Walker, Mcleod, Hammond, and Mading, along with the already committed Long. Actually add in Aris, and that's 6.

The staff knows this, of course. So of the 4 that haven't yet committed, we will only get 2 imo.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I don’t think most people would feel good at all. If you listened to the David Cox show it will be sometime before Aris contributes and I think many people see Mading in the same category. Long is a great get next to a McLeod, Walker, Bishop and even Hammond, but not sure you want him as your top recruit. I love Cox and his staff and think we still get McLeod and hopefully Hammond, but just saying trust the staff doesn’t mean everyone has to agree on every recruit. I think getting Walker will be tougher land from Pitt, but holding out hope as we did with Harris. Just as I can’t say that Aris and Mading will never contribute, people can’t say they are great recruits because the staff recruited them and we have to trust the staff. Look at the threads on Layssard and Tertsea when they signed. Everyone was excited about them. Cox will succeed for sure and we will all have to wait to pass judgement on the 2019 class.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts IG story shows Mading and other players in a suite at the Ryan Center at the concert last night.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
Dan was here for six seasons and how many top 150 recruits did we sign during that time? Let’s give Cox six years and then let’s compare apples and apples.
EC, Terrell, Robinson, Iverson, Martin (on some sites), Martin again (on some sites), Langevine (on some sites), Adams (on some sites), Harris. Not sure if I’m missing any. 83 has already pointed out that it’s silly to compare, though. That’s apples and kumquats. There’s a slight difference between recruiting in the context of tournament appearances and wins/conference championships/solid fan base and interest and no NCAA tournament since 1999/a campus that wasn’t even sure when game were. Also, if you’re going to credit only Cox with building the roster of the last few years, then I guess only Sutton, Carroll, or Boswell should get credit for anything moving forward. I think recruiting will be fine in the long run. They may need to show to some that they’ve really arrived as a program and that the last few years really are the new normal.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

STC wrote: 5 years ago
Not good.
I feel fine with these first three recruits if it is followed up with Walker or McLeod.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Dan was here for six seasons and how many top 150 recruits did we sign during that time? Let’s give Cox six years and then let’s compare apples and apples.
EC, Terrell, Robinson, Iverson, Martin (on some sites), Martin again (on some sites), Langevine (on some sites), Adams (on some sites), Harris. Not sure if I’m missing any. 83 has already pointed out that it’s silly to compare, though. That’s apples and kumquats. There’s a slight difference between recruiting in the context of tournament appearances and wins/conference championships/solid fan base and interest and no NCAA tournament since 1999/a campus that wasn’t even sure when game were. Also, if you’re going to credit only Cox with building the roster of the last few years, then I guess only Sutton, Carroll, or Boswell should get credit for anything moving forward. I think recruiting will be fine in the long run. They may need to show to some that they’ve really arrived as a program and that the last few years really are the new normal.
Can’t argue anything here. Will just say in the 6 years while only including freshmen, Dan landed Harris, Adams, Terrel, EC, and Martin so five according to Rivals and 247 who track at least up to the top 150. Obviously David has the advantage of walking into a program in a much different position then when Dan walked in. But Dan also has a huge advantage with his last name. Time will tell, I do think Walker is a huge factor in grading the initial recruiting class until on court results can be added in.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Cox is on the road as HC much more than Hurley was, and that is because Cox is trying to make his name. Hurley was a closer, when we were close to landing the recruit, he’d start making trips. Again, as he should. So, that why you can’t just credit the assistants, because Cox is still in the road with that “assistant” mentality, so to speak.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
STC wrote: 5 years ago
Not good.
I feel fine with these first three recruits if it is followed up with Walker or McLeod.
I’m good with whoever we get if Walker is one of them. McLeod isn’t on Walker’s level, but combined with a Hammond and Long it has some potential. McLeod has very big upside.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox is on the road as HC much more than Hurley was, and that is because Cox is trying to make his name. Hurley was a closer, when we were close to landing the recruit, he’d start making trips. Again, as he should. So, that why you can’t just credit the assistants, because Cox is still in the road with that “assistant” mentality, so to speak.
I don’t think you know how much Dan traveled when he first got here. Do you have his calendars :)
Ask Fatts how many of his games Dan was at.
Cox is transitioning because he was the Ast lead on several of these recruits. Ty travels the most by far.
Ty became the lead on Bishop and was at everyone of his games. Cox was not.
Ty is the lead on Dammond. Cox has played the traditional HC role on that recruit. Ty went to see him and then Ty went again with Cox for the in home visit.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’ll keep to myself.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

He’s been the HC for 3/4 months now. Most of the names on the roster, present and past, were from Cox.
You obviously haven’t been here long if you think my post was some dumb shit. Hurley got EC and Hass his first class. Let’s see how this plays out. We had what, 4 schollies to give out. That’s a big class.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Does anybody know if Mading is a four year senior or a post grad?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He is a four year senior. He started at Goretti High School in MD. He transferred to Commonwealth Academy for his Jr year.
I believe he is originally from Australia.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

crystal balls on 247 has a pick for Tulane for Marial -- interesting right after the URI visit
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago

You obviously haven’t been here long if you think my post was some dumb shit. Hurley got EC and Hass his first class. Let’s see how this plays out. We had what, 4 schollies to give out. That’s a big class.
we can play that game...

keeping Jermaine = getting EC

Hass was not a highly ranked recruit. 3 star, 88 score, between 180-200 nationally depending on the site

Mading, for comparison, is a 3 star, 87 score.

and dont forget Hurley's early recruiting success was mostly Preston. EC/Hass/Terrell/Jarvis.

After Preston it was a few years of average recruiting at best before hitting on Dowtin, Cyril and Fatts
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hass was hurt his senior year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago

we can play that game...

Hass was not a highly ranked recruit. 3 star, 88 score, between 180-200 nationally depending on the site

and dont forget Hurley's early recruiting success was mostly Preston. EC/Hass/Terrell/Jarvis.

After Preston it was a few years of average recruiting at best before hitting on Dowtin, Cyril and Fatts
After hitting on Dowtin, Cyril and Fatts and then hitting on the most highly ranked class we have had in the era where all recruits were ranked, and that's putting aside EC, Jared and Hass. The idea that Preston did it, then Cox did it, and that Dan wasn't the driving force is ridiculous. The coach is the CEO, he is the closer, his pedigree and success attracted kids at the end of the day. Yes the lead recruiters are doing the leg work but that's the case on every staff, ultimately the head coach is sealing the deal on every kid.
6 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago

we can play that game...

After hitting on Dowtin, Cyril and Fatts and then hitting on the most highly ranked class we have had in the era where all recruits were ranked, and that's putting aside EC, Jared and Hass. The idea that Preston did it, then Cox did it, and that Dan wasn't the driving force is ridiculous. The coach is the CEO, he is the closer, his pedigree and success attracted kids at the end of the day. Yes the lead recruiters are doing the leg work but that's the case on every staff, ultimately the head coach is sealing the deal on every kid.
Do you stand by that for Jim Baron?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And fwiw in those "few average years" you mention Dan secured 2 bona fide 4 star recruits Stan Robinson and Kuran Iverson as transfers. Cmon now.
1 x