Harvard will not exchange film?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Harvard will not exchange film?

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

http://www.independentri.com/sports/art ... 24d9b.html

” Fleming said of the matchup. “We had some kids who went up and watched the game and I had a first-hand look at it and that was helpful because, unfortunately, the Harvard people decided not to trade football films with us, so we’ve kind of been flying blind on this one, which is an unusual turn of events . . . It’s a little disappointing – I didn’t think people did business like that anymore.”
Teams generally exchange game films before they meet.
From the in-person view and other information the URI coaching staff has gleaned, the Rams know they’re in for a challenge against Harvard, which is 2-0 and receiving votes in national polls.

What's up with this?
Seem's very contrary?
Is there legit reason ?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Harvard will not exchange film?

Unread post by eli#10 »

Another reason to kick their ass! Probably too late but what about contacting Brown to see if they have at least a tape of their game last week vs Harvard?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Surprised this is just coming up now. Was there an exchange of film for last season's game?
If not then we don't give them our film either so both teams are even. Not sure I see what the big deal is.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Bad Karma.
Rhody has a shot up there.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Surprised this is just coming up now. Was there an exchange of film for last season's game?
If not then we don't give them our film either so both teams are even. Not sure I see what the big deal is.
The big deal is its customary to exchange film and petty not to do it.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Surprised this is just coming up now. Was there an exchange of film for last season's game?
Also, URI has had their games broadcast and Harvard could at least have that. Not sure if Harvard’s games have been on TV or not, but if they weren’t then it’s defjnitely an advantage for Harvard.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Call it what it is -- it's pretty dinkish to not exchange film.
Teams should want to play at the highest level possible, and with that comes proper scouting.

Last night I was watching the LA/Min game. The lack of prep time was obvious with blown safety coverage, etc. For as exciting as the game was and some of the individual plays that were made, from a team perspective that game could have been played at a much higher level.

Oh well, kick their asses.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago
Also, URI has had their games broadcast and Harvard could at least have that. Not sure if Harvard’s games have been on TV or not, but if they weren’t then it’s defjnitely an advantage for Harvard.
Both of their games were televised. San Diego State on ESPN+ and Brown on ESPNU
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago Call it what it is -- it's pretty dinkish to not exchange film.
Teams should want to play at the highest level possible, and with that comes proper scouting.

Last night I was watching the LA/Min game. The lack of prep time was obvious with blown safety coverage, etc. For as exciting as the game was and some of the individual plays that were made, from a team perspective that game could have been played at a much higher level.

Oh well, kick their asses.
Thursday night football is an abomination
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I read where conferences have rules that require exchange of film within their conferences but going outside is different. For all I know Harvard may have always had this policy but URI just did not know it.
Situation seems odd:

San Diego played at Harvard on Saturday Sept 15, 2018
Harvard played at Brown on Friday Sept 21, 2018
Wouldn't URI have had guys at both of those games played in Boston to scout?

In 2017 Harvard played at URI Saturday Sept 16, and it was Harvard's first game of the season - so there would have been no game tapes for Harvard
In 2016 URI played at Harvard Friday Sept 16, and it was Harvard's first game of the season - so there would have been no game tapes for Harvard

Just win, no excuses from Fleming.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Ramster-agreed on the results. I don't think Fleming is using it as excuse,just surprised (me too).
Coaches says its different breaking down from TV or in person.
If incorrect,why have film?
It's nothing more than Bad Karma.
Harvard is at home favorite,should be an easy game for them.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

TV footage is different from scout footage. Typically you will exchange Endzone film (think the all 22 cam in the NFL). It is much easier to watch a play develop for scouting/evaluation purposes and it shows you the entire play that may sometimes be cut off by the sideline cameras.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Either way, we're on the same footing. Our games were on TV and they probably had a scout at at least two of the three. Their games were on TV and we probably had a scout at both. We're going off of the same stuff. If we gave them film and they said, "thanks, and we're going to keep this, but we're not giving you film" that would be something else, but I can't imagine that's what happened.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If Belichick pulled this it would be called the greatest move in the history of coaching by Pats fans...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bos8 wrote: 5 years ago TV footage is different from scout footage. Typically you will exchange Endzone film (think the all 22 cam in the NFL). It is much easier to watch a play develop for scouting/evaluation purposes and it shows you the entire play that may sometimes be cut off by the sideline cameras.
Coaches film is WAY better than a broadcast feed, but compared to nothing the TV footage is good enough. Honestly, at the level that URI and Harvard play at, the TV footage is probably better than what you'd get for the NFL or high level P5 games, simply because there are less cameras and less production so they shoot from wider angles. Still, coaches film is better and it is very strange and, honestly, dickish that Harvard would break custom and not supply theirs.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Unless the rule has been changed it's against NCAA rules for coaches to scout upcoming opponents in person. Note that Fleming said some players were at Harvard's game.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."