PC Basketball Radio Moving from WEEI 103.7 to WPRO

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
Puck Frovidence
ARD

PC Basketball Radio Moving from WEEI 103.7 to WPRO

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

https://sportsradiopd.com/2018/08/provi ... s-to-wpro/

Presumably to fill a gap in the "festering garbage quota" created when they finally canned John DePetro, WPRO is taking on PC bball and the Ed Cooley radio show this season.

Someone in URI Athletics should at the very least kick the tires on taking their spot on 103.7. The coverage area is bigger, the branding is better, the audience makes more sense. There'd probably some issues with schedule conflicts with MNF and Bruins games, but we should at least check it out.

(Also, before people get outraged I'm not suggesting dropping Steve and Don. Just changing the outlet.)
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: PC Basketball Radio Moving from WEEI 103.7 to WPRO

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think there are a few things that make this a good move for PC...

1) Scheduling flexibility -- They will be able to air events like Midnight Madness
2) Online availability - could not listen to PC online which did not work for non-local fans
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The online availability is huge
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Very surprising WEEI wouldn't stream online...how could that possibly have hurt them?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

WEEI streams their primary broadcast (believe it is 93.7 FM). The broadcast for PC games was on 103.7 (think of it as a regional "Providence" broadcast). Because of that, if you listen to the WEEI stream online, you just get the Boston version.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Right, I knew that but I'm surprised they wouldn't break you guys off a separate game-only stream for the PC website. For instance, BC sports are on WEEI-AM, and even though the 850 stream stays with the ESPN shows they normally play, the audio is available as a free stand-alone stream on the Eagles website. If long distance listeners had no way to tune in (in 2018!), I'm not surprised PC jumped ship.

Still think URI should sniff out a deal though (with special consideration for streaming, I guess...maybe 103.7 will have learned from this)
1 x
CraigL79
Jim Eitner

Unread post by CraigL79 »

you don't want anything to do with WEEI. They only care about to 4 major Boston Sports. Hosts would refuse to talk any PC basketball or any college basketball for that matter and would bellyache ever time their show was preempted in the Providence area for PC basketball.

Better off sticking with a Rhode Island station that will care about the program
0 x