'19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Florida State ---> Syracuse)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: '19 PA C - Naheem McLeod

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We got spanked by a team with 5 NBA DRAFT PICKS! 4 of them over 6’5!

Even with comparable height and talent we’d need all the stars to align and for Duke to forget how to shoot for a half in order for us to have won that game.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago We got spanked by a team with 5 NBA DRAFT PICKS! 4 of them over 6’5!

Even with comparable height and talent we’d need all the stars to align and for Duke to forget how to shoot for a half in order for us to have won that game.
Agreed we weren't going to beat Duke. My point was we were going to have a lot of trouble with any team that had size. We weren't built to make a deep run. Obviously every team needs certain match ups, but if we just had one more talented big in the rotation I think that team is in the Sweet 16 and avoids Duke. Doesn't matter now.

I have faith Cox will get the guys we need.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

And look what Cox is recruiting...HEIGHT! Walker, Mading McLeod, Hammond, all 6’5 or better. We will no longer be guard centric.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago Well this is unfortunate.

I thought to myself well at least we will land McLeod after losing Bishop and most likely Walker. Now he's not visiting a school until late October? Anyone that thinks this isn't a bad sign is wrong... I was super confident after he posted all over twitter how much he loved his visit with us.

I really hope this 2019 class isn't filled with what could have been. We saw how bad it can hurt us last year if we have a weak class. Had we landed a legit big instead of Akele last years team would of had everything to make a run.

I hate being negative, but I'm worried at this point. Hopefully Cox can close at least one of our key recruits.
You realize you just mentioned the negative impact recruiting had on the highest rated team in URI history. I would say that is being negative. I would also say that you are being negative on McLeod. All indications are that Rhody is in the lead.

If you don't think we needed more talent in our front court last year I completely disagree. Having a junior big that could of replaced Hass or KI in the starting lineup would have been a big bonus. Especially against teams with size. Akele wasn't good enough. Cyril had some flashes but is still young and inconsistent.

Our team was amazing last year, but we had to worry about certain match ups. That's not a recipe for success when you want to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

My point is I don't want to miss on all our main targets in 2019. Our "highest rated team" got spanked in the 2nd round. I know it was against Duke which could not of been a worse match up. I'd like to go further than that when our next couple classes get older.
We’ve all had this conversation before. In the A10, it’s generally easier to recruit great guard talent before good bigs until there is sustained success. URI can recruit on program success now. The rosters the last few years have had height, but those guys didn’t pan out or weren’t very good, so it didn’t matter. A guy like Silva in ‘15 could have made all the difference, but they lost out to SC. We were initially thrilled with a class that had Langevine, Tertsea, and Layssard. McLeod seems decent, and I like the idea of a guy like Mading, if he is given some time. But even with quality talent assessment, nothing is a given. Bigger guards are continuing the trend of players like Dowtin and Martin. There’s continuity in an approach that’s working.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is program success still relevant with a new head coach and a lot of changes in the staff?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago

You realize you just mentioned the negative impact recruiting had on the highest rated team in URI history. I would say that is being negative. I would also say that you are being negative on McLeod. All indications are that Rhody is in the lead.

If you don't think we needed more talent in our front court last year I completely disagree. Having a junior big that could of replaced Hass or KI in the starting lineup would have been a big bonus. Especially against teams with size. Akele wasn't good enough. Cyril had some flashes but is still young and inconsistent.

Our team was amazing last year, but we had to worry about certain match ups. That's not a recipe for success when you want to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

My point is I don't want to miss on all our main targets in 2019. Our "highest rated team" got spanked in the 2nd round. I know it was against Duke which could not of been a worse match up. I'd like to go further than that when our next couple classes get older.
We’ve all had this conversation before. In the A10, it’s generally easier to recruit great guard talent before good bigs until there is sustained success. URI can recruit on program success now. The rosters the last few years have had height, but those guys didn’t pan out or weren’t very good, so it didn’t matter. A guy like Silva in ‘15 could have made all the difference, but they lost out to SC. We were initially thrilled with a class that had Langevine, Tertsea, and Layssard. McLeod seems decent, and I like the idea of a guy like Mading, if he is given some time. But even with quality talent assessment, nothing is a given. Bigger guards are continuing the trend of players like Dowtin and Martin. There’s continuity in an approach that’s working.
I think what it comes down to is grabbing the best remaining talent whether it be a guard, forward or center. In the case this year it would be Walker, McLeod and Hammond. Bishop would have been most peoples pick as the player they wanted most. The Duke matchup was a tough situation with their length, but we shouldn’t go after players just because of their height. I think everyone is happy with Fatts and he isn’t real tall.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Is program success still relevant with a new head coach and a lot of changes in the staff?
In this situation, I think so, but I guess we’ll see. If Rhode Island would have hired from outside, my answer may be different. Banners are pretty persuasive, and those rings that arrived today are relevant to the guys still there.

Dayton and VCU are still Dayton and VCU, despite their struggles last year. They can sustain a little more change, even though both their hires were somewhat familiar. I hope the Rhode Island program has earned enough respect from the wider fan base that, even if there are some growing pains this year, they still recognize the quality of what they’re doing overall.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Is program success still relevant with a new head coach and a lot of changes in the staff?
In this situation, I think so. If Rhode Island would have hired from outside, my answer may be different. Banners are pretty persuasive, and those rings that arrived today are relevant to the guys still there.

Dayton and VCU are still Dayton and VCU, despite their struggles last year. They can sustain a little more change, even though both their hires were somewhat familiar. I hope the Rhode Island program has earned enough respect from the wider fan base that, even if there are some growing pains this year, they still recognize the quality of what they’re doing overall.
If this club hits the floor as a cohesive unit able to actually run offensive plays and show multiple defensive looks I expect the fan base will be 100% on board. I know I will be.

The upset at the Hurley perceived betrayal (bolt to uConn - the #2 hated enemy of decades past) should have little impact on the Cox era.

Unless the team runs motion and shows little effort. The outcry will be swift and firm if that scenario occurs.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago
In this situation, I think so. If Rhode Island would have hired from outside, my answer may be different. Banners are pretty persuasive, and those rings that arrived today are relevant to the guys still there.

If this club hits the floor as a cohesive unit able to actually run offensive plays and show multiple defensive looks I expect the fan base will be 100% on board. I know I will be.

The upset at the Hurley perceived betrayal (bolt to uConn - the #2 hated enemy of decades past) should have little impact on the Cox era.
I have no question about the loyalty of KB board-type folks towards the team. I mean the people who only seem to care and come out when they play Providence or make the tournament. I’m just interested in how solid that crew is. If anything (and we’re definitely seeing it here), I think people will be increasingly supportive of a Cox led team (the betrayal! the outrage!) in the hopes that the previous guy didn’t really make that much difference. Dowtin is their most veteran player, and I don’t think you could ask for a better guy in a better position to assume the player leadership role.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea IF you don't have 5 great guards like we did, then height is mandatory. That's obvious. Teams are getting taller.
0 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s doing the whole ask me a question thing on IG, someone ask when he plans to announce....
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago He’s doing the whole ask me a question thing on IG, someone ask when he plans to announce....
So Rhody was def represented well during his IG live

Fatts hit him up first saying “limitless” Naheem responded with “my guy” w/muscle and heart emoji

Then someone said “come to RI, fans are excited” he responded with one of those wide eyed emojis

Then was asked when he is committing but he resounded with a hands up IDK emoji

Last thing was Rhody nation awaits and he responded with “haha fans recruit too”
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Or someone wrote limitless, whether it was Fatts who knows
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago Or someone wrote limitless, whether it was Fatts who knows
someone just wrote 7 footers go and die at FSU and URI is the only viable option - pretty funny
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago Or someone wrote limitless, whether it was Fatts who knows
someone just wrote 7 footers go and die at FSU and URI is the only viable option - pretty funny
Umm sort of...he responded with why the hate on FSU
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This sounds like a conversation with the girl I meet at the bar and get no where with.
0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Someone else just wrote “I will drive myself, wife and kids off the Newport bridge if you don’t come to URI.” That should really help our cause of looking like classy fans. It is one thing to joke around, but that is in real poor taste.
3 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago Someone else just wrote “I will drive myself, wife and kids off the Newport bridge if you don’t come to URI.” That should really help our cause of looking like classy fans. It is one thing to joke around, but that is in real poor taste.
Completely agree

The last one makes the fan base look desperate, congrats on the jack wagon that asked that question
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Way overboard. Embarrassing.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t really understand the kid’s responses.

Then he says Nova has offered? Really?
Attachments
3BE48901-95D5-4BB5-B720-52AC722145EF.png
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Here’s the Nova comment
Attachments
1A25128C-05FA-4FB5-8147-6F788FCF96E0.png
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Ask him how that worked out for Dylan Painter .....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Social media makes recruiting gross.
9 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I don’t really understand the kid’s responses.

Then he says Nova has offered? Really?
His response was a joke. The person said one of the best coaches “out there” and he responded “out where”.

He isn’t going to Nova. The interest died down on both sides.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Social media makes recruiting gross.
*even more gross
It’s already pretty gross to start, but yeah, social media takes it to a whole new level.

And speaking of gross social media, Rick Pitino has now joined Twitter.

“Out where” is definitely kind of funny, though.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

After almost hearing about a commitment this past Tuesday, it seems the Florida State visit may have pushbacked his timeline. All is quiet on this front.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Seems like he is going to play this out a little further. Guess URI couldn’t close it with the official two weeks ago, it’s unfortunate because he seems to be a high potential difference maker.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

rhody fans back at on his IG story
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I still think he verbally commits to Rhody in October.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago rhody fans back at on his IG story
It is starting to get a little old now with McLeod. It has been the same song and dance for weeks now. I fell into the trap on twitter and Instagram with him, but you start to lose interest when some of the recruits drag it out as long as they are. If you want to sign and think the schoool is a good fit for you-great! If not good luck with wherever you end up. When you start getting into November and later you might as well make other options, unless it is only one spot that you need to fill.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I still think he verbally commits to Rhody in October.
Hope your right!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
It is starting to get a little old now with McLeod. It has been the same song and dance for weeks now. I fell into the trap on twitter and Instagram with him, but you start to lose interest when some of the recruits drag it out as long as they are. If you want to sign and think the schoool is a good fit for you-great! If not good luck with wherever you end up. When you start getting into November and later you might as well make other options, unless it is only one spot that you need to fill.
This is a major decision for an 18 year old. It should be understandable that they take some time. He visited two weekends ago. Unless the college is going to move on (which URI isn’t going to do after missing on Bishop), the recruit needs to decide by the NLOI early signing period starting Nov 14th. I still think McLeod verbally commits to Rhody in October.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

This is a major decision for an 18 year old. It should be understandable that they take some time. He visited two weekends ago. Unless the college is going to move on (which URI isn’t going to do after missing on Bishop), the recruit needs to decide by the NLOI early signing period starting Nov 14th. I still think McLeod verbally commits to Rhody in October.
If the kids leave campus and several weeks or even months go by it becomes less likely that they will commit to a school like URI or many schools similiar to us. For McLeod it will be Florida Stste or another school that could jump in late. For Walker we all know about Kansas, but even if he is very impressed with what URI shows him this weekend it starts to fade after visits to the Jayhawks, Miami and VCU. It sounds like URI has had a good plan in place, but as we all have seen with Bishoo these things change very quickly.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If the kids leave campus and several weeks or even months go by it becomes less likely that they will commit to a school like URI or many schools similiar to us. For McLeod it will be Florida Stste or another school that could jump in late. For Walker we all know about Kansas, but even if he is very impressed with what URI shows him this weekend it starts to fade after visits to the Jayhawks, Miami and VCU. It sounds like URI has had a good plan in place, but as we all have seen with Bishoo these things change very quickly.
Do you have any data to support this or is this just your thought?
Very few recruits commit while they are on campus. No one is saying McLeod is going to take months. It seems like you are basing your opinion on one recruiting process (Bishop). I would think over a large population of recruiting decisions there has been a slight advantage being the first OV and when recruits make their decision within days of one of their OVs, that school has a higher % of being selected.

Here is an example near and dear to us that defies your cooments.
Jermaine Harris
First visit WVU 9/15-17
Second visit URI 9/22-24
Third visit Xavier 9/29-10/1
Commitment 10/06
Canceled visit to Kansas and vist to Miami in Oct.

We weren’t first. We weren’t last before his decision. His decision was 2 weeks after his visit to URI. He had planned to take all five visits but cancelled the last two later in Oct.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McLeod played in an All Star game last night. Philly vs New York. Starting line ups below. Top two performs for Philly came of the bench - Chereef Knox (awarded teamp MVP) and Christian Ray. Knox plays at Imhotep. Knox & Ray played with Bishop on K Low. NY won 78-65.

Dashawn Davis was the MVP for NY

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Do you have any data to support this or is this just your thought?
Very few recruits commit while they are on campus. No one is saying McLeod is going to take months. It seems like you are basing your opinion on one recruiting process (Bishop). I would think over a large population of recruiting decisions there has been a slight advantage being the first OV and when recruits make their decision within days of one of their OVs, that school has a higher % of being selected.

Here is an example near and dear to us that defies your cooments.
Jermaine Harris
First visit WVU 9/15-17
Second visit URI 9/22-24
Third visit Xavier 9/29-10/1
Commitment 10/06
Canceled visit to Kansas and vist to Miami in Oct.

We weren’t first. We weren’t last before his decision. His decision was 2 weeks after his visit to URI. He had planned to take all five visits but cancelled the last two later in Oct.
Just an opinion. With two kids that are 2 and 4 I don’t have the time to research something like that. I’m probably just cranky because it seems like every school is locking up commitments and I have been watching the two kids all weekend. I guess bottom line is we just need to secure McLeod or Walker-hopefully both.

Also Rhody83-good information on the recruiting trips for McLeod and Walker
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McLeod had 8 points in the All Star game last night. Feedback on McLeod to me from reporter who was there:

He looked good. He's a big boy, for sure. Didn't get many touches, hence the limited points, but in warm ups and in his opportunities to score you could really see his potential. Couple nice slams. Defensively, he's a tough rim protector.

The game itself was so high in tempo, felt like both teams were going 6 seconds or less with the ball for the entire game so not exactly the best scenario for his skill set but I was impressed with what I saw from him in the paint
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Naheem seemed to indicate last night on fatts live ig that he would be in attendance at the rhody madness event to see lil baby. I don't know if anyone can confirm this? He wrote fatts x duke x lil baby. And had another text in the chat that was along the same lines.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would seem that we are in the lead for both McLeod and Walker at the present time.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed.

Would be nice if they would skip any future visits and commit now or very soon, but it looks like they want to play things out as much as possible.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Would seem that we are in the lead for both McLeod and Walker at the present time.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed.

Would be nice if they would skip any future visits and commit now or very soon, but it looks like they want to play things out as much as possible.
Walker is most familiar with us, which gives us a slight advantage, but the unknown still lurks with these upcoming visits.

McLeod is near a lock, I think some politics are involved with his recruitment.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Naheem seemed to indicate last night on fatts live ig that he would be in attendance at the rhody madness event to see lil baby. I don't know if anyone can confirm this? He wrote fatts x duke x lil baby. And had another text in the chat that was along the same lines.
Yeah he posted that and also mentioned Ray Somerville’s OV that weekend too to Fatts

It’s a good sign that McCleod is pretty engaged, hopefully a commit some point in October
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Boswell is in Philly....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

What the hell did fans do before the age of interpreting recuits social media?
1 x
GO RAMS
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

i wish i was a high powered recruit - i would be f'ing with people like us all day
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

FWIW, FSU made the final 8 for Kofi Cockburn.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Boswell is in Philly....
I think Ty was in Philly airport getting a connecting flight. Don’t think he visited anyone in Philly.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think Ty was in Philly airport getting a connecting flight. Don’t think he visited anyone in Philly.
I’m sure he checked in.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, no one’s going from the airport to Plymouth Meeting and back on a layover. That airport makes everything about 10 times more difficult than it needs to be.
2 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Per a tweet from Corey Evans, Naheem begins his official visit to LaSalle on Thursday.
0 x