General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by theblueram »

We have 2 senior scholarship players this year. How many players are we recruiting for '19?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago We have 2 senior scholarship players this year. How many players are we recruiting for '19?
It would appear to be 3 spots open as of now.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I count 2. Harris, Russell, Martin, Cyril, Jeff, Tate, Omar, Thompson, Tertsea, Aris will all be here next year. Long has committed. That leaves 2.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Honestly if we can land one impact freshmen (Walker anybody?) and then we could potentially redshirt Long and if we were able to land Mading redshirt him too. We need to get old and stay old.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

blueram you asked how many players are we recruiting for ‘19. Long is being recruited for ‘19.
We have two Sr and one open scholarship. You get 13 scholarships. You listed the 10 players returning next year.
So the answer is we are recruiting 3 players. Long is one if those players.

CT Rhody, Long isn’t going to be redshirted. Where do you come up with these ideas and how does a team “get old and stay old”? What does thst even mean?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago blueram you asked how many players are we recruiting for ‘19. Long is being recruited for ‘19.
We have two Sr and one open scholarship. You get 13 scholarships. You listed the 10 players returning next year.
So the answer is we are recruiting 3 players. Long is one if those players.

CT Rhody, Long isn’t going to be redshirted. Where do you come up with these ideas and how does a team “get old and stay old”? What does thst even mean?
83, seriously? You don’t remember the advice the Notre Dame coach gave to Dan Hurley about how if a program can get old and stay old there is such an advantage to that especially vs 18 year kids that some programs only play with?

Let me spell this out, you get old by holding onto your players for 4-5 years, taking transfers, etc. Redshirting freshmen who won’t see significant playing time can be an advantage if your deep enough already where it won’t impact the team that specific year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe Mike Brey was referring to keeping players four years vs the one and done players on some top teams. URI graduates it’s players. They stay 4 years. Notre Dame doesn’t redshirt Freshmen. You play Jrs and Srs more consistently when you smooth out your recruiting classes (3 players per class).
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Redshirting guys is good for football where there are 85 guys on scholarship and physical development is so instrumental. But for basketball, you’d ideally have the whole 13 man roster at your disposal and there normally wouldn’t be a need to keep a player away from the action unless he is a real project or he just isn’t as good as you’d hoped. There will be opportunities to play guys - Long, for example, will likely get short rotation minutes next year with a chance to earn more if he proves he can handle it. Redshirting just isn’t as much a part of basketball culture, and the players don’t want to do it for the most part. They want to compete for minutes in practice and don’t want to go thru the grind of the season knowing the whole time they won’t get into a game, which is why they’re there in the first place. If Long isn’t hurt but retains a year of eligibility next year, I’ll be concerned.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Redshirting guys is good for football where there are 85 guys on scholarship and physical development is so instrumental. But for basketball, you’d ideally have the whole 13 man roster at your disposal and there normally wouldn’t be a need to keep a player away from the action unless he is a real project or he just isn’t as good as you’d hoped. There will be opportunities to play guys - Long, for example, will likely get short rotation minutes next year with a chance to earn more if he proves he can handle it. Redshirting just isn’t as much a part of basketball culture, and the players don’t want to do it for the most part. They want to compete for minutes in practice and don’t want to go thru the grind of the season knowing the whole time they won’t get into a game, which is why they’re there in the first place. If Long isn’t hurt but retains a year of eligibility next year, I’ll be concerned.
When was the last time URI had 13 at their disposal? Last year Thompson redshirted and it wasn’t totally because of injury. Year before that Tertsea redshirted to develop further. You get where I’m going here. You don’t need 13 players which is why transfers sitting out, redshirts, etc are used by most programs. 11-12 eligible players is ideal with most sticking to a 8-10 person rotation.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think Thompson’s situation last year was somewhat unique, with him battling an injury and the depth chart being absolutely loaded in front of him. In that situation, it absolutely made sense. Using a redshirt strategically on occasion (with the player’s buy-in) is different to me than using it as a matter of course with freshmen.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Exactly. URI has had plenty of years with dead scholarships from transfers sitting out and redshirting injured players. Occasionally if a bigman needs to develop a redshirt is used for a non-injured player. These 18 year olds that are 6’9”+ have often gone thru a major growth spurt. They need to add strength and coordination. Long doesn’t need to develop. If the player isn’t good enough redshirting doesn’t make sense - you tie up a scholarship for 5 years on a player that will be on the bench.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think Jeff Capel is recruiting every player in the country, and I refuse to believe otherwise. Narrow your focus, Jeff!

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Lol Ace. I agree. I hope he spreads himself all over the place. He was chasing top 10 players too. He must think he is still at Duke :)
He only has offered 45 players 😳
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm just glad we are going after size. This team needs to get big. It was pretty embarrassing playing Duke in the NCAAT last year.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The other SG that Xavier was after just committed to Purdue as expected. He is from Indiana. Moved home from Montverde for his Sr year because his mother is sick. Wanted to go to college close to home.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

What would the reaction be to a three-player class of:
1. Long
2. Madring or Hammond
3. Somerville
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago What would the reaction be to a three-player class of:
1. Long
2. Madring or Hammond
3. Somerville
I don’t think we end up getting near Somerville.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago What would the reaction be to a three-player class of:
1. Long
2. Madring or Hammond
3. Somerville
Disappointing.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

STC wrote: 5 years ago
1. Long
2. Madring or Hammond
3. Somerville
Disappointing.
Really? Disappointing?

I have been happy with every recruit sans that forward Cruz. in the mid-00s He sucked.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

STC wrote: 5 years ago
1. Long
2. Madring or Hammond
3. Somerville
Disappointing.
Very Disappointing. Need to at least get McLeod. Long, McLeod and Hammond or if they miss on him I guess Mading.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

1. Long
2. Madring or Hammond
3. Somerville
Disappointing for sure.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think your level of disappointment would be directly related to how convinced you were that the three person class was going to be Long, Bishop and Walker. Personally, I was hopeful but not convinced that was going to be the way it played out. My guess is a three person class of Long, Hammond and Mading/Somerville would be a pretty competitive class for the A10 and assuming the 2020 class could bring some top end talent, the three year run of ‘18, ‘19 and ‘20 would set URI up pretty well to be good after the last of the Hurley-era players have moved on.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

After reviewing 247 sports, Long is the top rated commit to the A-10 at the moment. That will change as the fall signing period comes to a close but still says something about where our recruiting is vs the rest of the league.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

247 isn’t always up to date with commitments
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That would be a disappointment means we would whiff on all 3 of Bishop Walker and MCLeod
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote: 5 years ago That would be a disappointment means we would whiff on all 3 of Bishop Walker and MCLeod
I agree. It would be disappointing to miss on all three but not devastating either. Agree with others who say getting all three was a pipe dream but it would be nice to come away with one of the top targets this summer.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree it would be a disappointment however, I think the staff’s top 3 targets where Bishop, Walker & Long. Most seem to forget about Long. The staff doesn’t push for the verbal that early unless he is a top target for one of the three scholarships available.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I agree it would be a disappointment however, I think the staff’s top 3 targets where Bishop, Walker & Long. Most seem to forget about Long. The staff doesn’t push for the verbal that early unless he is a top target for one of the three scholarships available.
True, but if they knew Layssard was going to leave(may not have at the time) they had 4 spots to fill which isn’t easy unless they planned on Aris replacing Layssard all along. I think people believe Long will be a solid player, but not a difference maker like some of our other targets.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we can get either Walker or McLeod along with already having Long, I will consider this to be a good recruiting class.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago If we can get either Walker or McLeod along with already having Long, I will consider this to be a good recruiting class.
Yes. It can also be a good class without either. It would just be a disappointment from the fan perspective.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is a great idea. Scott wears #24 in HS. On his visit to Temple at their football game. This group of students have shirts made up for his visit. I an guessing the Cherry Crusade is similar to the Ruckus. Rhody students should pick up on this.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

how come we weren't more involved in the Donta Scott recruiting?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Is that a rhetorical question? We weren’t interested.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago how come we weren't more involved in the Donta Scott recruiting?
I think because of his size 6’5”- 6’6” Forward. It is interesting because he started at Imhotep when he was a Soph and Fatts was a Sr. Bishop was a Soph on that team at the end of the bench. If you watch Imhotep’s upset win over Montverde that year, Scott was the key to the first half. Ace would know best, but I think Scott is more a PF in HS. He doesn’t have a list of top schools recruiting him like Walker or Bishop.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago how come we weren't more involved in the Donta Scott recruiting?
I think because of his size 6’5”- 6’6” Forward. It is interesting because he started at Imhotep when he was a Soph and Fatts was a Sr. Bishop was a Soph on that team at the end of the bench. If you watch Imhotep’s upset win over Montverde that year, Scott was the key to the first half. Ace would know best, but I think Scott is more a PF in HS. He doesn’t have a list of top schools recruiting him like Walker or Bishop.
Yeah, that's why I asked, he has been ranked higher for most of his high school career than bishop and his relationship with Fatts. Just surprised he wasn't at least somewhat involved in our recruiting.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UMass picks up a commitment from Jalen Thomas, C from Detriot. Others recruiting him where Buffalo, Clev State, Detriot. VC has him as a 6’8” 2 star. 247 has him as a 6’10” 3 star.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

2 inches = an extra star. 😉
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seeing Coach Carroll in the video from dinner with Walker last night made me think of Carroll’s unique experience. I can see Cox leveraging that with recruits. Telling them that with all of Carroll’s experience as an NBA coach he knows what it takes to get there and has plenty of contacts in the NBA to help players get exposure and feedback.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Coaches on the recruiting trail again today. Last day before full practices start.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

thanks for the update - where are they today?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Where is the video of Carroll and Walker having dinner?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Where is the video of Carroll and Walker having dinner?
The video was on Fatts IG Story. IG Story videos go away after 24 hours.
I had confirmed that all four coaches were at the dinner with Walker and his mother. Fatts was also there with one othe current Rhody player.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Article on Cassius Stanley’s recruiting show how the 247 experts get it wrong and then just change their pick after the school gets cut.

From the article:
Perhaps the two most interesting names in his recruitment — at least before the cut to three — were that of USC and UCLA.

Both schools had spent a significant amount of time out in front of Stanley's Crystal Ball, with several USC picks obviously changing after Stanley cut the Trojans from his list. USC, which has a loaded 2019 class, added four-star point guard Kyle Sturdivant the day before Stanley's cut. UCLA has two wing recruits currently committed in its class.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Starting to feel like we're going to end up with a class of Mading, Hammond and Long. Not ideal given the alternatives that were in play, but I think it should be fine on the heels of the strong class coming in this year. '20 will be kind of huge now though in my opinion. Can't afford to miss out on the top targets again.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Why are you counting out Mcleod and Walker already? Jeeze Mcleod is supposed to be in Kingston for the Rhody Madness event. I do not think he would be attending that event without seriously considering Rhody. I think you need to relax and let it play out.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Why are you counting out Mcleod and Walker already? Jeeze Mcleod is supposed to be in Kingston for the Rhody Madness event. I do not think he would be attending that event without seriously considering Rhody. I think you need to relax and let it play out.
I'm plenty relaxed, apologies if my post came across otherwise. And I'm not counting anybody out, simply giving my opinion on how I see this all ending up. Just a prediction.

And hell, if I need to relax and let it play out what do the guys who post every single instagram/tweet and try to interpret what they all mean need to do? :lol:
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I feel good about McLoud not Walker
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think the staff put it all out there last weekend trying to get Walker to commit.

Since he didn't, not sure I like our chances going forward.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago I think the staff put it all out there last weekend trying to get Walker to commit.

Since he didn't, not sure I like our chances going forward.
Coach Cox knew Walker wasn’t going to commit last weekend. He didn’t put undo pressure on Walker and his Mom to commit last weekend.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Walker is a genuine kid. He feels like he owes it to the schools on his list to, at the very least, visit. Especially VCU, who was his first offer and is a quality school.
0 x