‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier > St Joe’s > FGCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

His brother. Dan is saying his brother said it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Link?
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I started watching his IG live last night but had to leave, did his brother mention in then?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dan, can you explain in further context? Your message is way too cryptic.

I still don’t believe he makes it to his visit.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Let's stay positive...Bishop and Walker (and McLeod) know that if they come to Rhody, they are forming a perennial top 25 team and a force to be reckoned with. It's that simple.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 5 years ago Let's stay positive...Bishop and Walker (and McLeod) know that if they come to Rhody, they are forming a perennial top 25 team and a force to be reckoned with. It's that simple.
They’ve always known that. Nothing has changed. They also know they can join other teams with highly rated players. We aren’t the exception to the rule.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago I started watching his IG live last night but had to leave, did his brother mention in then?
Might have been a few weeks ago.
0 x
GO RAMS
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 5 years ago Let's stay positive...Bishop and Walker (and McLeod) know that if they come to Rhody, they are forming a perennial top 25 team and a force to be reckoned with. It's that simple.
They’ve always known that. Nothing has changed. They also know they can join other teams with highly rated players. We aren’t the exception to the rule.
The way Xavier is recruiting Bishop and other SG’s at that position while putting emense pressure to commit right away shows him that he is just a number to their program, 1 of 13. The way URI is recruiting him and focusing on him shows him that he truly is a priority recruit but more importantly a foundational piece to the program. That is the difference.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The emotional roller coaster some of you guys live on is way too much for me. How do you do it?
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago The emotional roller coaster some of you guys live on is way too much for me. How do you do it?
Live your life TP, I’ll continue to live mine. ;-)
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

I'll take a mini victory even if its IG based
0 x
Aramis Porthos
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Aramis Porthos »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
The way Xavier is recruiting Bishop and other SG’s at that position while putting emense pressure to commit right away shows him that he is just a number to their program, 1 of 13. The way URI is recruiting him and focusing on him shows him that he truly is a priority recruit but more importantly a foundational piece to the program. That is the difference.
There's a difference between pressuring a kid to commit and informing him that there is another recruit at his position where there is mutual interest. If Damir wanted to commit to X today, they would stop recruiting Newman and vice versa. Only recruiting one kid per position is a great way for a coach to get fired. I think most kids understand the competitiveness and zero game that happens in recruiting. If Damir goes to Rhode Island, it won't be because Xavier's recruiting other SGs.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Check his IG story. He’s about to commit to XU.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Check his IG story. He’s about to commit to XU.
Guess we’ll see. Still believe URI is the better program for him but it’s his decision.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Check his IG story. He’s about to commit to XU.
Guess we’ll see. Still believe URI is the better program for him but it’s his decision.
Of course WE here believe that, but it’s a lock, it’s XU. Especially considering he hasn’t even went on his URI Visit.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t think Xavier is pressuring Dahmir to the extend that CT Rhody thinks. I think Dahmir is Xavier’s priority over Newman. Newman’s recruiting is more wide open from what I have read. Purdue and Indiana are considered the leaders because his mother is sick and he moved back home to Indiana from Montverde for his Sr year. According to Snow, Newman intends to complete the process with all of his in home visits before making a decision. He has Xavier this weekend and Ohio State next weekend as his final scheduled visit. The timeline has Newman making a decision shortly after Bishop’s scheduled to URI. So it seems the two of them are on a similar decision timeline.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Wow. It just happened. Too bad
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Wow. It just happened. Too bad
What just happened?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It was a lock after his visit. There was a “silent” verbal, XU leaked it to writers, and once Snow knew, he ran with it.

He committed to XU.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago It was a lock after his visit. There was a “silent” verbal, XU leaked it to writers, and once Snow knew, he ran with it.

He committed to XU.
Ouch that hurts.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Shit .... thought we’d get him but lose out on Walker.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Unlikely we get Walker. He will likely end up at Pitt. Bright lights have gotten to him.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Looks like relationships were not the most important factors for Bishop's decision.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago ....ok Guys. I’ve seen this play out before. Brian Snow knows. He was unsure when Harris was between URI and XU, but there was no hesitation this time. Again, don’t be surprised.
Unfortunately for URI, DC_Rams, your intuition was correct. Good call on this one, you read the tea leaves accurately. And we move on.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Hindsight being 50/50, clearly not ensuring we got the first official visit was a mistake, staff will learn from this experience and move on.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago Hindsight being 50/50, clearly not ensuring we got the first official visit was a mistake, staff will learn from this experience and move on.
Really! You are bringing up learning experiences for our staff that has 35 years recruiting D1 players. Bishop picked his visit date. He decided to go to Xavier first. Should the coaching staff have argued with him about that?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago Hindsight being 50/50, clearly not ensuring we got the first official visit was a mistake, staff will learn from this experience and move on.
Dumbest, most uninformed statement of the night.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Unlikely we get Walker. He will likely end up at Pitt. Bright lights have gotten to him.
I am guessing that is just your opinion.
URI coaching staff felt different last night even after they knew they lost Bishop.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Really! You are bringing up learning experiences for our staff that has 35 years recruiting D1 players. Bishop picked his visit date. He decided to go to Xavier first. Should the coaching staff have argued with him about that?
Every player is different so not every recruiting situation is the same, if player picked the date then completely agree, nothing could of been done. This is why schools push so hard for the first visit, it does make a big difference. Don’t take my comment wrong, staff did a tremendous job with this refruitment but I bet even they would publically say they would off changed one thing if they had to do it all over again.

Time to move on, Cox will rebound in no time.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

This stings

But we move on and look to lock down walker and McLeod!
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Tough one to swallow, but where do we move on from here after walker and McCloud now 1 & 2, who would be 3?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There is no number 3.....we had 4 openings.....2 have been taken by Long and Aris.

Maybe the staff knew about Bishop not coming here a little while ago, and got Aris because of that.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Will be interesting to see what Cox does from here. From a guard standpoint he seemed to put all his eggs in the Dahmir Bishop basket. Is Tyler Burton the backup plan?

I have to believe Cox is involved with other guards that hasn’t been as public as the recruitment of Bishop. Long commit came out of nowhere but we’re further along in the recruiting process now.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree is stings but there is more of a need for bigmen than there was for a 6’ 4” SG.
Rhody roster
Fatts 5’ 10”
Jeff 6’ 3”
Silverio 6’ 4”
Thompson 6’ 5”
Martin 6’ 6”
Long (committed) 6’ 7”
Tate 6’ 7”

That is seven players that will be on the 2019-20 roster that play the 1, 2 & 3. Five of them will be on the 2020-21 roster.

Upfront we have
Tate 6’ 7” (possibly some at 4)
Aris 6’ 8”
Harris 6’ 8”
Cyril 6’ 8”
Didn’t include Preston because he is a Sr.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago There is no number 3.....we had 4 openings.....2 have been taken by Long and Aris.

Maybe the staff knew about Bishop not coming here a little while ago, and got Aris because of that.
Aris was recruited by Sutton as soon as Akele told them he was leaving. It had nothing to do with Bishop.

Official visits scheduled include Walker, Burton, Diawara (I believe) and Mading. Long is also visiting in Oct. McLeod responded to Rhody question on IG live that he is coming back to Kingston Sept 29th.

Edit: Somerville also has an official visit scheduled.
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago There is no number 3.....we had 4 openings.....2 have been taken by Long and Aris.

Aris was recruited by Sutton as soon as Akele told them he was leaving. It had nothing to do with Bishop.

Official visits scheduled include Walker, Burton, Diawara (I believe) and Mading. Long is also visiting in Oct. McLeod responded to Rhody question on IG live that he is coming back to Kingston Sept 29th.
Two things

1. 83 are you heading Tate is more of a 3 or a 4? Disano compared him to a recent player from Dayton earlier today who played the 4 so I was just curious.

2. Keep in mind with Xavier still reportingly recruiting Newman or another individual at the combo guard spot, it would not be abnormal for Bishop to back out ie Terrell or transfer out after a year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bishop picked the date? I thought you said we moved it so he could be on campus the same time as Walker?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
Bishop picked the date? I thought you said we moved it so he could be on campus the same time as Walker?
Walker will never see his visit to URI. He will commit to Pitt by Monday! We will probably get McLeod and hopefully don’t try to get anyone else. We can try to get a transfer mid year that is worthwhile. The remainin guys coming in for visits are not worth it.
Last edited by RamStock 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
It’s my understanding Bishop had picked Xavier for Sept 7th and URI for Sept 14th. Then the URI date was switched to Sept 21st. My comment above was in response to the Xavier date because CT Rhody posted that we should’ve got the first visit. Bishop decided to make Xavier his first visit.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Our chances with McLeod and Mading are favorable. I know folks don’t want Mading, but the staff loves his upside. Walker is a LONG SHOT. If he makes it out of Pitt, we have a chance because his family is high on URI.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I’m happy with how good the 2018 incoming class. We hit on that class, but missed on the 2019 class outside of maybe landing McLeod which would be a nice get.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Only a matter of time before Capel is on the wrong side of the NCAA again.
No way Walker should go there.

McLeod, Mading and Walker would still be a great class.
Then look for guards in 2020. Still in good shape.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It’s hard to follow up a great recruiting class that has 4 players the next year (unless you are an elite program). The question of playing time can become an issue.

We also have to realize that recruits still have to develop to be really good in college. Even 4 star recruits. Bishop is not a good shooter. He could develop into a good shooter but he isn’t currently. So players rated below 4 stars in HS can pass these top recruits in college. We saw that with Hass.

Btw, I would prefer Tyrese Martin over Bishop.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago It’s hard to follow up a great recruiting class that has 4 players the next year (unless you are an elite program). The question of playing time can become an issue.

We also have to realize that recruits still have to develop to be really good in college. Even 4 star recruits. Bishop is not a good shooter. He could develop into a good shooter but he isn’t currently. So players rated below 4 stars in HS can pass these top recruits in college. We saw that with Hass.

Btw, I would prefer Tyrese Martin over Bishop.
I love Tyrese also, but we can’t say now that we didn’t get Bishop it is no big deal. We would be able to find time for both easily as we saw with the four guards from last year. We need to focus on getting McLeod and call it a day for 2019.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier Commit)

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I really thought we had a shot with Bishop and I thought Walker was the long shot. I still think he is. He is all about the big programs and the bright lights! I hope I’m wrong but I think he would rather ride the pine at a P5 school than have an impact with us.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago I really thought we had a shot with Bishop and I thought Walker was the long shot. I still think he is. He is all about the big programs and the bright lights! I hope I’m wrong but I think he would rather ride the pine at a P5 school than have an impact with us.
Walker doesn’t believe he will ride the pine at a P5 school and the P5 coaches recruiting him are telling him he will be a key player. The kids at Walker’s level all want to play in the NBA and want to know what the school/coach can do to help them achieve their dream.

I believe Walker is a long shot as well. Hopefully we get the OV next week. Rhody does well when they get a recruit on campus for an OV. I still think it is down to Rhody and Pitt with Pitt as the leader.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Tough break. He was the highest ranked player they were involved with, and they seemed to have the momentum for a while. Recruiting can be brutal.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Looks like relationships were not the most important factors for Bishop's decision.
Or he really liked our staff but had a better relationship with Steele?
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

We had this kid.....Unbelievable. Maybe he realizes his mistake and backs out. First visit killed us. We need to find a scorer now.
0 x