‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier > St Joe’s > FGCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I agree with Rhody83 and others above. We shouldn't go too crazy over him wearing an X hoodie. That's not to say there isn't a possibility he goes there, but he hasn't made an announcement yet, he will be here in a week and 1/2 w/Walker and I'm sure Cox/Staff, Fatts, Cyril, the team will be putting the full court press on them.

Sometimes on this board we see something like this and tend to go a little Skip Bayless. let's let the process play out, trust the staff, and hope for the best
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago One interesting thing about Xavier being in competition with URI for Bishop’s services is that their coaching situation is almost identical to ours, which takes away a key line of attack that I would assume many more experienced coaches would make against URI, which is essentially that the success that the recruit had seen the program have came under a different coach and the new guy is inexperienced and unproven. But Steele is in exactly the same spot as Cox, so that’s out the window for him.
There are some differences in the Cox/Rhody situation and the Steele/Xavier situation. Cox was able to keep a strong recruiting class and has a young team with a bright future. Xavier lost two out of their three committed recruits when they need to fill holes from the graduation of their best Sr class ever (lost 4 players). They end up with two 3 star recruits (ranked in the 200s) and three grad transfers. The have 11 scholarship players this year and will lose three Seniors giving them 8 returning players (if no one leaves early).
The point is that Bishop knows he will be playing with a strong team at RI with the four Fr, Fatts and this recruiting class. Xavier has three good Soph and not much else for his potential teammates.

Edit: FYI, Xavier has three verbal commitments from ‘19. Two Centers and one PF. Ranked #104,110 and 185.
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Snow is XU’s insider. I’m telling you, he knows.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So obviously that is why he was wearing Xavier gear yesterday. It would have been a little awkward if he was wearing Rhody gear while having an in-home visit with the Xavier staff...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m actually not saying the hoodie is why I believe it. It’s Snow’s repour with the XU staff. I’m an overreacter in a lot of cases, this isn’t one of them.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Why is it that Xavier is always recruiting competition with RI? They're hundreds of miles away in another conference.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I’m actually not saying the hoodie is why I believe it. It’s Snow’s repour with the XU staff. I’m an overreacter in a lot of cases, this isn’t one of them.
So, if it's a done deal, what's taking him so long to announce a commitment?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I agree that we shouldn't be reading into every little social media post, but also find it kind of funny and ironic that the same people saying that about the Xavier gear are the same ones who will point out every little thing when it can be seen as a positive for us.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t have the answers Billy. All I’m saying is, DONT BE SURPRISED. I pray I am wrong and Snow is blowing smoke.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I’m actually not saying the hoodie is why I believe it. It’s Snow’s repour with the XU staff. I’m an overreacter in a lot of cases, this isn’t one of them.
Are they allowed to commit during the in home visit? Id suspect these days kids plan their announcements out.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Are they allowed to commit during the in home visit? Id suspect these days kids plan their announcements out.
Snow and the other 247 guys all predicted Bishop to Xavier a few days ago. If it was already a done deal, wouldn't Bishop save the URI staff the time and trouble of going down to Philly for an in-home?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Again, your assuming the kid doesn’t need time to digest his decision. He likely went home talked/thought about it. I don’t think it’s a reactive, instant decision. My guess would be he was a strong LEAN and that’s the info Snow got.

Do you always accept a new job offer on the spot??
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Snow is XU’s insider. I’m telling you, he knows.
Jesus, relax. Literally nothing has changed since Sunday, except Bishop was wearing some Xavier swag on an IG post. Man, I do not know how some of you go through this game we call life with the emotional baggage I see on this website. Why don't we wait for something to actually get upset about before we get all upset. Life is a lot happier and easier if you do not constantly expect the worst to happen and continually look for things to reinforce negative thoughts and feelings.

If Bishop goes elsewhere, have a pity party, that is fine. But let's wait for that to happen before getting all worked up. I for one, was never as confident as others about us being a lock for his services. There are very good programs recruiting him. I still like our chances here as the staff has done a tremendous job recruiting him and I truly believe it is the best fit for him. And I think he really looks up to Fatts as a mentor and I think that will come into play here as well. And Snow was wrong last year on Harris, so he is not infallible.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The crystal ball predictions made by insiders are more accurate than outside observers, because they’re made with feedback from the coaching staff. I’m sure Steele thinks the visit with Bishop went well. He’s probably not wrong. Unless you believe in the mythical “silent verbal” then the game is still being played, even if Xavier thinks they are winning - and even if they actually are.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

This would be real surprising and very disappointing if it is true. We spent a ton of time on Bishop and did all the right things. I always felt that Bishop was different than Walker in that he didn’t use twitter as much every time a big school contacted him and made him a offer. He has seemed more grounded and reserved. I think next weekend is a big weekend for us. If we lose Bishop there is zero percent chance Walker comes here. I think other than McLeod we should hold onto the other 2 scholarships as I really don’t want Mading or Somerville. They are classic bench players. Let’s hope that next weekend we can show them how great URI is. Bring back last years graduating class also to tell them there experiences.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Snow is XU’s insider. I’m telling you, he knows.
Jesus, relax. Literally nothing has changed since Sunday, except Bishop was wearing some Xavier swag on an IG post. Man, I do not know how some of you go through this game we call life with the emotional baggage I see on this website. Why don't we wait for something to actually get upset about before we get all upset. Life is a lot happier and easier if you do not constantly expect the worst to happen and continually look for things to reinforce negative thoughts and feelings.

If Bishop goes elsewhere, have a pity party, that is fine. But let's wait for that to happen before getting all worked up. I for one, was never as confident as others about us being a lock for his services. There are very good programs recruiting him. I still like our chances here as the staff has done a tremendous job recruiting him and I truly believe it is the best fit for him. And I think he really looks up to Fatts as a mentor and I think that will come into play here as well. And Snow was wrong last year on Harris, so he is not infallible.
Snow predicted URI for Harris. He said the recruitment was tight lipped. This is different. I’m not worked up.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago The crystal ball predictions made by insiders are more accurate than outside observers, because they’re made with feedback from the coaching staff. I’m sure Steele thinks the visit with Bishop went well. He’s probably not wrong. Unless you believe in the mythical “silent verbal” then the game is still being played, even if Xavier thinks they are winning - and even if they actually are.
The 'experts' are also allowed to change their picks. Many of them change them right before a commitment. That's why their percentages are so high.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I doubt anything will be announced until after his visit with us. As long as he comes, there's a chance.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is Harris' crystal ball. Snow isn't even in there.
https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... edictions/
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago This is Harris' crystal ball. Snow isn't even in there.
https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... edictions/
Go dig thru the Harris thread. Read Snow’s remarks.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago The crystal ball predictions made by insiders are more accurate than outside observers, because they’re made with feedback from the coaching staff. I’m sure Steele thinks the visit with Bishop went well. He’s probably not wrong. Unless you believe in the mythical “silent verbal” then the game is still being played, even if Xavier thinks they are winning - and even if they actually are.
Agree, the prediction is based on feedback from Xavier staff. It makes sense that Bishop was impressed. He also seems like the type to react nicely to all the attention. Many of these kids feel positive towards the school when they are on their OV and shortly after they return. Then they go on their next OV and feel positive towards that school.

Brian Snow is from Cincy but he is considered a national analyst for 247. Rick Broering is the official Xavier insider for 247.

To answer when can they commit. A recruit can make a verbal commitment at any time. During any visit to the college, during an in home visit etc. It is non-binding.

Another factor is Bishop’s parents. Fatts’ mother and stepdad are happy with URI from what I understand. I would assume that his parents know the Bishops (Ace would probably know best). I believe that Fatts’ stepdad is an Ast Coach at Imhotep. I would think that is a big plus for Rhody.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The most likely time for a verbal is right after a visit. So these "experts" pick the school accordingly. 95 percent of them have no more info than we do. You will see predictions change after the URI visit. It's a game for these guys and they're simply playing the odds.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Aramis Porthos
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Aramis Porthos »

Don't know if you guys actually want a Xavier perspective on this topic, but here it goes...

Do I think X is the leader right now? Given what Snow and other insiders on the pay board have said that it is the case, I do. I've seen many recruitments play out over the years on the board, and what's being said makes me feel pretty confident as an X fan. Now that being said, have there been cases where this amount of confidence has meant absolutely nothing? Absolutely. I do feel better about X's position than I do about Harris, and the information that's been posted on the board has given me more of a reason to feel that way than with the Harris situation.

To state the obvious, recruiting is a fluid situation and things can change quickly, but this could especially come into play here. Brandon Newman, a similarly ranked shooting guard is going on an official this weekend at X. I have no idea, if he would commit on the visit, but the staff would gladly take his commitment today if he wanted to go to Xavier. If Newman's on a quicker timeline than Bishop and IF he wanted to commit to X, then Xavier basically no longer becomes a realistic option for Damir. I'm not saying that's what will happen, just trying to let you guys know the moving pieces on X's end that could have a domino effect here.

TLDR: I think Xavier is the leader, but I'm not willing to bet any significant amount of money on it.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I agree that we shouldn't be reading into every little social media post, but also find it kind of funny and ironic that the same people saying that about the Xavier gear are the same ones who will point out every little thing when it can be seen as a positive for us.
Frankly, I question anyone who was wearing a hoodie here last night at all. Too hot and humid for that nonsense :)
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Article today from Brian Snow:
As one would expect the Xavier coaches aren’t morons, and managed to have a productive in-home visit with Dahmir Bishop on Tuesday night. The same can be said for Rhode Island, who went in on Sunday night.

As of now, no commitment has been made, though I feel confident in saying that Xavier is working hard to make sure that Bishop doesn’t make another official visit. If he does make a visit, it will be next weekend to Rhode Island, and I think a decision would come shortly after that.

At this point it sounds like VCU and Penn State don’t have too much of a chance, and it is basically the Rams, who have been there the longest, and the Musketeers, who have had the momentum and have been charging hard in this recruitment for the past several weeks.

In terms of where Xavier stands, I would say the key day to focus on would be Monday. If Bishop goes through this weekend and doesn’t commit, I would say that indicates that he plans to go on his Rhode Island visit.

Obviously since Xavier has pushed to try and make sure that visit doesn’t happen, and hope to lock up this commitment before then, that would not be good for the Musketeers. It would in my mind indicate that he isn’t sold on Xavier, and the comfort of the longer standing relationship with the Rhode Island coaching staff is starting to win out.

That said, and I do think this is possible, if it doesn’t get to Monday, it is a near lock he picks the Musketeers.

Currently I have my Crystal Ball pick in for Xavier, and I have no indication that I need to change it. While this is definitely not a done deal for Xavier as it stands today, I still think that it is more likely he chooses Xavier than he chooses Rhode Island.

As with everything in recruiting, things can change, but that is how I view this fast moving situation today.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He sounds very unsure. Call it a 50/50 chance.
0 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Snow can’t say he committed until Bishop comes out and says it. He would lose all credibility at that point to hold water. Like I’ve said, and have been saying, don’t be surprised, XU doesn’t want to lose to us twice.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

at least Snow's story explains the X hoodie he was wearing last night.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Article today from Brian Snow:
As one would expect the Xavier coaches aren’t morons, and managed to have a productive in-home visit with Dahmir Bishop on Tuesday night. The same can be said for Rhode Island, who went in on Sunday night.

As of now, no commitment has been made, though I feel confident in saying that Xavier is working hard to make sure that Bishop doesn’t make another official visit. If he does make a visit, it will be next weekend to Rhode Island, and I think a decision would come shortly after that.

At this point it sounds like VCU and Penn State don’t have too much of a chance, and it is basically the Rams, who have been there the longest, and the Musketeers, who have had the momentum and have been charging hard in this recruitment for the past several weeks.

In terms of where Xavier stands, I would say the key day to focus on would be Monday. If Bishop goes through this weekend and doesn’t commit, I would say that indicates that he plans to go on his Rhode Island visit.

Obviously since Xavier has pushed to try and make sure that visit doesn’t happen, and hope to lock up this commitment before then, that would not be good for the Musketeers. It would in my mind indicate that he isn’t sold on Xavier, and the comfort of the longer standing relationship with the Rhode Island coaching staff is starting to win out.

That said, and I do think this is possible, if it doesn’t get to Monday, it is a near lock he picks the Musketeers.

Currently I have my Crystal Ball pick in for Xavier, and I have no indication that I need to change it. While this is definitely not a done deal for Xavier as it stands today, I still think that it is more likely he chooses Xavier than he chooses Rhode Island.

As with everything in recruiting, things can change, but that is how I view this fast moving situation today.

Rhody 83 thanks for posting this. A good summary of where things stands. It sounds like Xavier is pressuring him to verbal now and not take the Rhody visit. Not to revisit an earlier post I made, but it makes me wonder why Rhody did not push for the first visit. There is always a possibility that this could happen if somebody takes the first visit elsewhere. Several Rhody recruits verballed to them after the first visit and did not take other planned visits.

If he gets to campus for his visit, I think we reel him back in. Let's hope he at least has the courtesy of following through with the official after all of the effort that the staff has put in recruiting him. If he does, I think the pendulum swings back to URI.

DC Rams, in my opinion Brian Snow does not seem overly confident in his Xavier pick in this article. You read that article and you think this is a done deal to Xavier? Not me. More likely is not a very high threshold, like 51% to 49% which is probably where things sit at the present moment. The fact that Xavier is pressuring him not to take any more visits also indicates they know this is far from a slam dunk for them. Come on Dhamir, come join your buddy Fatts and help dominate the A10 over the next several years!
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Aramis - Awesome to get a point of view from an X fan, and great additional info concerning Newman.
We tend to forget the domino affect that can come into play.
And that may be the difference:
We have Bishop and then everyone else is on hold.
They have several guys in play and whoever commits first gets the spot.
That should be worth something ...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

What you all are failing to realize is that XU swooped in late and became the leader and snagged the first visit. That says a lot. There is always pressure to pull the trigger before the next recruit does. I cannot see Bishop making it until next weekend, especially considering XU has other visits lined up. He is their hottest priority, until he’s not, for us he’s our HOTTEST priority. Period.

Our pitch has been the same since day one. Dahmir knows that. That didn’t stop XU from taking the lead. He’s visited URI, XU was the new experience. Again, the tea leaves don’t favor us.

I’ve been wrong before, but I’m reading between the lines on this one.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am still confident we land Dahmir
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago What you all are failing to realize is that XU swooped in late and became the leader and snagged the first visit. That says a lot. There is always pressure to pull the trigger before the next recruit does. I cannot see Bishop making it until next weekend, especially considering XU has other visits lined up. He is their hottest priority, until he’s not, for us he’s our HOTTEST priority. Period.

Our pitch has been the same since day one. Dahmir knows that. That didn’t stop XU from taking the lead. He’s visited URI, XU was the new experience. Again, the tea leaves don’t favor us.

I’ve been wrong before, but I’m reading between the lines on this one.
I hope you are wrong on this also. This will be a terrible offseason with Long, Tsourgiannis(18) and Mading. Long looks like he can be a useful defensive player, but doesn’t have any offensive game at this point. He would be great combined with a Bishop, Walker, McLeod combo. I don’t see any starters out of these players. We would have to at least land McLeod.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I think Dahmir realizes if a program is trying to rush his decision that it’s for a reason, that he is just a number to them and they just want a commitment. He is one of many targets for Xavier, while the URI staff has made him the target for URI. Which program would you rather play for based on how they prioritized you?
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

It all depends on what is most important to him ,relstionships that have developed over the time URI has recruited him or his perception of which program can get him to the dance more often and to the NBA.Big East vs A10. I think Walker is definitely starstruck by the bigger conferences.
I am hoping Dahmir is not. Time will tell.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago It all depends on what is most important to him ,relstionships that have developed over the time URI has recruited him or his perception of which program can get him to the dance more often and to the NBA.Big East vs A10. I think Walker is definitely starstruck by the bigger conferences.
Agree completely! I have felt all along that Dahmir would base the decision on a lot of factors including relationships and where he fits in and not just the big name brand school name unlike Anthony Walker who loves the attention from the big conference schools with social media.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago It all depends on what is most important to him ,relstionships that have developed over the time URI has recruited him or his perception of which program can get him to the dance more often and to the NBA.Big East vs A10. I think Walker is definitely starstruck by the bigger conferences.
Agree completely! I have felt all along that Dahmir would base the decision on a lot of factors including relationships and where he fits in and not just the big name brand school name unlike Anthony Walker who loves the attention from the big conference schools with social media.
Walker likes all offers he receives, you guys read way to much info his social media. I hope we get both just to prove the doubters wrong!!!
0 x
Aramis Porthos
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Aramis Porthos »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago I think Dahmir realizes if a program is trying to rush his decision that it’s for a reason, that he is just a number to them and they just want a commitment. He is one of many targets for Xavier, while the URI staff has made him the target for URI. Which program would you rather play for based on how they prioritized you?
Xavier isn’t the one who would be rushing his decision. Brandon Newman would be. I’m sure Xavier would probably take both, but I highly doubt either of them would want that to happen. Xavier needs a SG. If Travis Steele wants to get fired after 3 years, a good way to do that would be to only seriously recruit one kind per position. These kinds of situations are pretty common. I’m not saying that’s good or bad but rather just the way it is.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Aramis Porthos wrote: 5 years ago

Xavier isn’t the one who would be rushing his decision. Brandon Newman would be. I’m sure Xavier would probably take both, but I highly doubt either of them would want that to happen. Xavier needs a SG. If Travis Steele wants to get fired after 3 years, a good way to do that would be to only seriously recruit one kind per position. These kinds of situations are pretty common. I’m not saying that’s good or bad but rather just the way it is.
Aramis, thanks for the info. Per Brian Snow article Xavier won’t take both. I don’f think Newman is in a rush. He move back home from Montverde because his mother is sick. His Ohio State visit is scheduled for the same weekend that Bishop is schedule for Rhode Island.

From article:
At this point it still seems like Purdue is in the best situation, but like with Gaffney, Newman seems very committed to his process of making his visits. That means Xavier this weekend and Ohio State next weekend.

After the Ohio State visit, that is when it seems likely that Newman enters into decision making mode.

Part of the equation with Newman is I just do not think there would be room for him and Bishop in this class. Maybe I am wrong, but I can’t see Xavier really pushing for both if they get one, and I can’t see the kids finding it to be that good of an idea either.

Newman is a fairly tough kid to get a great read on, but common sense still dictates Purdue is the team to beat, however both Ohio State and Xavier stand a real chance here.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Snow:
There appears to be no doubt that Xavier would like two guards in this class, so Bishop coming or not coming should have no real impact on Gaffney and his commitment, as Gaffney is viewed more on the ball and Bishop is viewed more of an off the ball player.

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Each passing day that goes by without an announcement gets us one day closer to our official visit. One more week. If that visit happens, I love our chances.
4 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Each passing day that goes by without an announcement gets us one day closer to our official visit. One more week. If that visit happens, I love our chances.
If Xavier gets a commitment from the other SG they are having a visit from this weekend then i’ll feel even better. The reality is everybody on here wants a top 25 national type program, get used to these kind of recruitments moving forward.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I feel fairly confident after hearing what I heard.

'My bro's about to be a Ram'
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DanInAZ wrote: 5 years ago I feel fairly confident after hearing what I heard.

Huh?????
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DanInAZ wrote: 5 years ago I feel fairly confident after hearing what I heard.

You know his brother?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

No, I know how to use social media.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney