‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier > St Joe’s > FGCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe the in home is tonight. Great job by Rhody coaches getting scheduled with their top two priorities on Day 1 of the Recruiting Period.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Edit: Boswell and Coach Cox just landed in Philly. I believe that Sutton and Carroll are also with them.
He is probably giving Bishop a ride home from the airport :)
In home visit tomorrow with Bishop?
Or tonight.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Got to give it to the staff, no one is going to outwork them. Pretty impressive that all four were in New Hampshire, and now looks like all four are in Philadelphia. Will see what happens going forward. I am not worried about the 247 picks. Pretty standard fare to see a bunch of picks for the school that just received the official. Often times, just smoke and no fire. if you look, there were several other players that had multiple predictions to the school that they visited this weekend. To my knowledge, none have actually committed.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Birdman shares so wisdom
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

In home is tomorrow with Bishop. Entire coaching staff is there.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago In home is tomorrow with Bishop. Entire coaching staff is there.
Love how this coaching staff is grinding, are they going to stop by and see Naheem as well?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I believe some Naheem-related stuff will be on the agenda. Not sure if they are doing an in-home visit since the kid just left campus and they might want to save it, but I was told by a good source that they’ll see his HS coach tomorrow.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I believe some Naheem-related stuff will be on the agenda. Not sure if they are doing an in-home visit since the kid just left campus and they might want to save it, but I was told by a good source that they’ll see his HS coach tomorrow.
I don’t think there is anything to save. Coaches are allowed a total of 7 contacts and evaluations per academic year. The academic year started last week. Official visits and unofficial visits aren’t contacts or evaluations.

A contact happens any time a college coach says more than hello during a face-to-face meeting with a college-bound student-athlete or his or her parents off the college’s campus.

An evaluation happens when a college coach observes a student-athlete practicing or competing.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Makes sense. So maybe they plan to see Naheem during the school day and are meeting with him and the coach. Could see a couple reasons for doing it that way - maybe the schedule is such that they have to do it while he’s at school, or maybe the coach is part of the decision making process and so they’re meeting with him since he wasn’t on the visit. Either way, I didn’t get that much of an explanation, I was just told they’re going to be seeing his coach on Monday.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We saw Bishop tonight. Zagoria just tweeted out a pic of our whole staff with him. And he was wearing a Rhody shirt.
1 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

The big recruiting analysts spend almost no time keeping up with URI. It wouldn’t shock me if they just write us off automatically. Who cares about their crystal ball picks? One guy makes one and people just start copying them anyway.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

At school visits make sense. You have to get the buy in from all the influencers. It was reported that his father was in Kingston this weekend. Could be meeting with HS coach, then HS coach and Naheem and possibly watch some open gym time at the school (if they have it).
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago We saw Bishop tonight. Zagoria just tweeted out a pic of our whole staff with him. And he was wearing a Rhody shirt.
Bishop did get back early enough for the visit to happen tonight. Got to love the pic. The 48 hour clock for his Xavier visit wasn’t even up when this pic was taken with a Rhody shirt on.

Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

No one can argue on the effort that this whole coaching staff has put on getting top recruits to URI. I hope they they throw everything at Bishop and Walker on their official visits. Have Terrell, Matthews, Robinson, Garrett and Berry waiting to share their experiences at URI over the four years and where they are at now. I know it can’t happen, but hope that the two players really enjoy their trip to Kingston the Sept 21st weekend and feel compelled to commit to Rhody and take the program to another level.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I challenge anyone to find me a harder working, more committed staff!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not trying to be a downer but most all staffs work hard and are committed. It’s table stakes. What is clear to these kids is that they are our #1 priority - whether that resonates and matters to them will be decided in the coming weeks.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Not trying to be a downer but most all staffs work hard and are committed. It’s table stakes. What is clear to these kids is that they are our #1 priority - whether that resonates and matters to them will be decided in the coming weeks.
BAR, no sh!t.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Not trying to be a downer but most all staffs work hard and are committed. It’s table stakes. What is clear to these kids is that they are our #1 priority - whether that resonates and matters to them will be decided in the coming weeks.
Agree about the effort of all top staffs. Cox’s approach is to throw everything you can at your priority recruits. His approach allows him to compete with the top tier schools.
You can’t tell everything by pics and videos but URI’s approach with official visits seems more emersion with the current players than other schools. Compare Naheem’s activities from what we saw of Dah’s at Xavier. The recruit feels like part of the team. It gives the recruit a better indication of what their day-to-day would be like if they joined Rhody. I think they bond more with the players and feel the Ram Fam.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome stuff showing our top priority recruits some love

I definitely think we land Bishop and have a shot at Ealker too
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83, what’s this article say?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Can’t access it for some reason. It is different than an article. It links to Xavier message board on 247. I think you have to be a registered member of their board to get access.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Brian Snow who is national on 247 but lives in Ohio so he covers Xavier. Seems biased to me. He was the first of the “experts” to predict Xavier Saturday night. This is from his Xavier recruiting article before the visit.

Bishop coming to town

It was a rare quiet weekend in the Travis Steele era for Labor Day, but things get back going again this weekend with top target Dahmir Bishop.

The Philadelphia native has pushed his visit up one weekend, and will be coming to Cincinnati on Friday to make his official visit to Xavier.

The main two schools at the moment continue to be Xavier and Rhode Island, though Penn State and VCU also remain in the mix, with Providence also having an outside shot.

Currently it is tough to say either Xavier or Rhode Island leads, but Xavier is getting the first official visit crack at him, and that is big. I think the biggest thing that Xavier will have to show on the visit is how the flight from Philadelphia and location won’t be a daunting issue for the family.

There does seem to be some concern on distance from home, and since Bishop doesn’t come from a family full of money, purchasing plane tickets isn’t always easy, or at least as easy as a drive to Kingston, RI would be.

What Xavier has working in their favor is a recent history of getting guards into the NBA. Jordan Crawford, Semaj Christon and Edmond Sumner have all played NBA games in the past two years, and then obviously you have J.P. Macura and to some extent Trevon Bluiett this past year, who are now on two-way deals.

While it isn’t exactly like Xavier has been Kentucky or Duke, there is a little more to point to than Rhode Island, who is forced to talk about Cuttino Mobley as their last guard to make it to the NBA.

Also Xavier I am sure will stress the virtues of playing in the Big East versus playing in the Atlantic 10, like he would be at Rhode Island.

Rhode Island no doubt is playing up the relationship they have built with Bishop as well as his relationship with former high school teammate Daron “Fatts” Russell, who is currently at Rhode Island.

A big visit is definitely needed for Xavier to land the commitment, and to be fair the Musketeers have been trending a little bit here recently.

Personally, I wouldn’t expect a commitment on the visit, but there is no doubt that Xavier will be pushing hard to make this his first and only official visit. Time will tell if that is possible, but that is the very obvious goal for the Musketeers coaches heading into the weekend.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The best thing is it took Bishop 4 hours to fly there. Philly is one of the worst on time airports in the country. Add on his trip to Philly airport and then the drive from Cincy airport to Xavier you are looking at over 5 hours. His family can drive for free to Kingston in 4 1/2 hours.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The best thing is it took Bishop 4 hours to fly there. Philly is one of the worst on time airports in the country. Add on his trip to Philly airport and then the drive from Cincy airport to Xavier you are looking at over 5 hours. His family can drive for free to Kingston in 4 1/2 hours.
I think that's a little overstated. There are 9 direct flights per day from Philadelphia to Cincinnati. There are 4 for Philadelphia to Providence. Pricing-wise it's similar. There's value in being close enough to drive, but it's not exactly in his back yard.

Compare Conference Schedules:
Xavier plays Villanova, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, and Georgetown all within driving distance
URI plays St. Joseph's, LaSalle, Fordham, George Washington, George Mason, Richmond, VCU, UMass, Duquesne plus home games all within driving distance
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

"Cuttino Mobley as their last guard to make it to the NBA" (buzzzzzzer) Wrong. Get it right guy.
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If he's gonna mention Blueitt and Macura he has to mention Munford and Terrell as the situations are no different. He could have stuck to guards that were drafted, and had us beat...dummy.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago
Compare Conference Schedules:
Xavier plays Villanova, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, and Georgetown all within driving distance
URI plays St. Joseph's, LaSalle, Fordham, George Washington, George Mason, Richmond, VCU, UMass, Duquesne plus home games all within driving distance
I think your window is too big for "driving distance." I mean, sure you could drive from Philadelphia to Kingston, but I don't think a family is going to just pack up and make a ~5 hour drive. Xavier's even worse, that's a freakin 9 hour drive and it's a terrible drive at that for anyone who has ever made it. Last year, did a one day trek from Dayton back to RI. Painful. The real schools within "driving distance" for someone from Philadelphia are going to be the schools in Eastern Pennsylvania (so basically the Philly schools), plus the NJ/NYC/Washington D.C schools. That's pretty much a 2 hour 30 minute radius.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Philly to URI is definitely doable. Leave a 7AM on a Saturday and be here before Noon.
I made that drive many times for work. The first time they do it will be a little tough,
but you adjust rather quickly. All you are paying for is gas and tolls. Less than 1
puddle jumper plane ticket.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

yea.. URI's last NBA all star guard.

I mean D Robinson made it on to an NBA roster. Never mind the aforementioned Munford/Terrell.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I am sure it 100% don't mean anything but while Walker has a big smile Dahmir looks like maybe it's been a long day (which I'm sure it was). Long day too for the coaching staff which has continued into today. Thank you for the tremendous effort guys!! Get these 3 and 2019-2022 look to be very special years @ here.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago yea.. URI's last NBA all star guard.

I mean D Robinson made it on to an NBA roster. Never mind the aforementioned Munford/Terrell.
Dawan played in the preseason, then he got cut.
But still he got there and had the opportunity!

We've also had a ton of guys that have played overseas.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Munford played in NBA playoff games for Memphis with Vince Carter about 3 seasons ago.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

On the post responding to my travel comment. I realize travel isn’t the end all but Snow brought it up as a concern for Xavier.

The point on flying is the cost. It has been stated that Bishop’s family doesn’t have the money to fly to games in Cincy.
As far as the airport, Philly has one of the worst on time flights in the country. I flew thru Philly a lot and had 6 people working for me who flew thru Philly a lot. It was standard that at least one of our flights in & out of Philly would be delayed on every trip. We all spent a night sleeping over there.

Regarding the drive to Kingston, they did it for his unofficial visit. It is 4 1/2 hours. They could make that drive to see him play for some of the Saturday games and visit for the weekend.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

remember last year with Jermaine when every single "in the know" recruiting site had all 'X' in their predictions between us and them?
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Not trying to be a downer but most all staffs work hard and are committed.
You’re not being a downer, you’re being realistic. I like the players they targeted, but almost every staff in the country is getting out in force on the 9th to meet with their primary recruits. It’s standard.

Regarding scheduling- unless they get paired with La Salle or St. Joe’s, URI won’t have a game in Philly next season, which seems crazy to me given the history of the conference.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What a crock Snows article is . Just admit we are by far the leader
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Walker and Bishop swap spots in the new Rivals rankings.
Walker is 77 up from 89, and Bishop is now 90, down from 78.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dahmir riding around in Xavier hoody on his IG story last night. Crystal ball may have been right. They may have actually been tipped off, just needed to stay quiet until he announces. Don’t be surprised.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

You know how much gear they probably gave him on his official visit do you expect him not to wear it? Dahmir is visiting in 9 days I do not see him commiting before thn.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

he would have committed to Xavier by now if URI or others weren't in the mix - every sign still points that he's coming to URI for a visit. Can't read into every little thing you see on IG or Twitter.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

....ok Guys. I’ve seen this play out before. Brian Snow knows. He was unsure when Harris was between URI and XU, but there was no hesitation this time. Again, don’t be surprised.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

One interesting thing about Xavier being in competition with URI for Bishop’s services is that their coaching situation is almost identical to ours, which takes away a key line of attack that I would assume many more experienced coaches would make against URI, which is essentially that the success that the recruit had seen the program have came under a different coach and the new guy is inexperienced and unproven. But Steele is in exactly the same spot as Cox, so that’s out the window for him.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago ....ok Guys. I’ve seen this play out before. Brian Snow knows. He was unsure when Harris was between URI and XU, but there was no hesitation this time. Again, don’t be surprised.
Maybe he ends up at Xavier. I certainly don’t know anything that tells me that’s impossible. So I wouldn’t be surprised. But I think you need to take a deep breath.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago ....ok Guys. I’ve seen this play out before. Brian Snow knows. He was unsure when Harris was between URI and XU, but there was no hesitation this time. Again, don’t be surprised.
Maybe he ends up at Xavier. I certainly don’t know anything that tells me that’s impossible. So I wouldn’t be surprised. But I think you need to take a deep breath.
Nobody has been on him longer or as hard as URI, I’m sure Snow gets his info from how the Xavier coaches feel their chances stand and not from the player himself so let’s let this play out and see what happens.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
Nobody has been on him longer or as hard as URI, I’m sure Snow gets his info from how the Xavier coaches feel their chances stand and not from the player himself so let’s let this play out and see what happens.
This would be a real blow to lose Bishop as URI has showed him the most love by far and we have a connection that we normally don’t with Fatts. I guess we should have a very good idea by next weekend with the big visit from our top two targets. It stings more with PC getting so many good recruits if we miss on him. Let’s hope they have a great visit and decide to play together. We need Fatts, Cyril and Tate to lead the recruiting charge as they seem to be great with people.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I was going to make the Chris Mack point too.

Let him check URI out and then see what happens.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Dahmir riding around in Xavier hoody on his IG story last night. Crystal ball may have been right. They may have actually been tipped off, just needed to stay quiet until he announces. Don’t be surprised.
I'm pretty sure Ryan Preston was recently wearing SMU clothes on Instagram recently. Obadiah Toppin was going around wearing URI stuff even when we weren't in on him any more
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Can we please not do the same exact thing we did last year with Jermaine Harris and start over analyzing everything this kid does.

He’s not smiling in his picture! Uh ohh he went on a visit and he’s wearing an Xavier hoodie!! The national recruiting sites that never give us any chance with guys like these are picking Xavier. Of course they are.

We have no idea how this will end up but this is not a done deal. Have some faith in this staff.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Lol sold by a kind wearing a hoody on insta and a crystal ball pick. You are quite the detective.

Jalen Lecque was wearing a Duke hoody the other day when he went live. Guess where he isn't going to end up? Duke
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Dahmir riding around in Xavier hoody on his IG story last night. Crystal ball may have been right. They may have actually been tipped off, just needed to stay quiet until he announces. Don’t be surprised.
I agree don’t read too much into him wearing a gray X hoody in his car on IG story.
You could take the opposite that his OV to Xavier was way less than 48 hours so he could get back and have an in home visit with the entire Rhody staff. He was wearing a Rhody shirt while his Xavier visit was still officially on the clock. Xavier fans are probably reading too much into that.
0 x