'19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Florida State ---> Syracuse)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: '19 PA C - Naheem McLeod

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Get him! Get him!
Potential game changer defensively.
Especially against the A-10
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago McLeod is flying in Thurs night. Rhody’s first official visit. McLeod’s first official as well.
He seems excited about it. I believe Rhody is his first choice.
Any feelings that we might get a commitment by the time the weekend is out?
His plan is to take 3 visits including URI.
Edit: He doesn’t have any other visits scheduled at this time.
I believe Rhody is his first choice.
He will be in Kingston for approx 48 hours so I would expect him to be at the football game on Saturday.
It will be hard to miss someone who is 7’3”.
If he did make a commitment before the other visits, it would be on Sunday or Monday.
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Where are his other visits?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Can someone just tell me who has this kid ranked Top 100? Can't find it anywhere.Rivals has him a 3* and Scout has him unranked.
Not sure he is ranked a top 100.
He was invited to the NBA Players Assoc Top 100 this summer (same camp Bishop went to)
He is #118 on 247 Composite
ESPN has him as a 4 ⭐️ . The others have him as a 3 ⭐️
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Where are his other visits?
He doesn’t have any other visits schedule at this time.
Obviously a good sign for Rhody.
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

My bad saying top 100. But yes...#118 on 247 rankings. Let's get him! And Bishop and Walker of course.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 5 years ago My bad saying top 100. But yes...#118 on 247 rankings. Let's get him! And Bishop and Walker of course.
He was top 100 on ESPN rankings before the update last week. He would be a huge get for the program.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I see a project. 7-footers pretty much get 3 stars to begin with. He has the potential to quickly pass Tertsea but I don't think he'll help right away. Best case to me would be he could play some after Langevine graduates
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago I see a project. 7-footers pretty much get 3 stars to begin with. He has the potential to quickly pass Tertsea but I don't think he'll help right away. Best case to me would be he could play some after Langevine graduates
Some have him currently at 7-3, even if he isn’t physically ready his freshmen year, I think he would contribute significantly his second year in. He seems to be that good and the high level schools recruiting him show that as well.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It's hard to gauge the interest. I think he's a backup plan for LaSalle if they don't get Somerville.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He is 7’3”. I think the other top schools in his final 6 like him for his potential. LaSalle coach is on a mission to takeover Philly recruiting. He got Beatty to transfer. He is going hard for Donta Scott (Imhotep). Taking McLeod and/or Somerville could help start the ball rolling in year 1. His goal is to get Top 100 Philly kids to stay home.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I want LaSalle to get every good recruit out of Philly that we are not recruiting....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago It's hard to gauge the interest. I think he's a backup plan for LaSalle if they don't get Somerville.
You think La Salle prefers Somerville over McLeod?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago It's hard to gauge the interest. I think he's a backup plan for LaSalle if they don't get Somerville.
I heard Naheem is their first choice and Somerville the backup plan. Remember his composite ranking is 118, that’s why his top 6 is a extremely high major list.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago
I heard Naheem is their first choice and Somerville the backup plan. Remember his composite ranking is 118, that’s why his top 6 is a extremely high major list.
The coaches don’t care about a player’s composite ranking. It has been mentioned several times that the coaches do their own rankings. There are so many examples of players with 150+ composite rankings that have a final list full of P5 schools. An example is Jalen Gaffney (#212) who has a final list of Florida, Clemson, Xavier, Pitt, St Johns & UCONN. Jalen is taking officials to all ofbthose schools except Pitt.

In article by Josh Verlin yesterday on Somerville.
new Explorers coach Ashley Howard continued recruiting Somerville immediately after his April hiring.
Howard "wanted to let me know that I was still high on his list," Somerville said. "La Salle has given me all this stuff about making me the No. 1 target, and they think that I'll be the final piece to their program, to be able to take it over the top."
La Salle will be the only one of the final six not to receive an official visit, the weekend-long trips paid for by the college program. Prospects are allowed to take five trips during their senior year in high school. The school's Olney campus is close enough to Somerville's home in Media — "I can come up to La Salle for a weekend, both days," he said, "instead of using one of my five officials for that."
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Leader Johnson (247 Sports) list McLeod as a LaSalle priority and doesn’t list Somerville.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think McLeod will commit on Sunday or Monday if Coach Cox makes the push for a commitment.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is his twitter account for anyone that wants to follow.
https://twitter.com/boogienah_10
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Get him!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Once we get through these storms today, looks like it will be a beautiful couple of days for Big Duke's visit. I believe he's coming in tonight? Not much chatter about this here. All the attention seems to be on Bishop and Walker. This is potentially a very good signing for us. Let's show him some love on his twitter page that I posted above.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

This would be a huge signing for us, no two ways about it. This will also put us in a stronger position for Bishop and Walker which would allow us to close out this class and move on to recruiting 2020’s at this early stage which is a huge advantage to have.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don't get it. I thought they were only taking 3.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago I don't get it. I thought they were only taking 3.
There's no point in saving scholarships, it's how teams end up with no depth after injuries or transfers happen. Especially when you're talking about a top 100 ESPN kid who will be a defensive monster when he adjusts to the NCAA pace of play.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

FattsAndFurious wrote: 5 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago I don't get it. I thought they were only taking 3.
There's no point in saving scholarships, it's how teams end up with no depth after injuries or transfers happen. Especially when you're talking about a top 100 ESPN kid who will be a defensive monster when he adjusts to the NCAA pace of play.
I think what he meant on three scholarships is that we actually only have three available for next year including Long, although many posters feel that there will be a fourth scholarship available following this year. If URI can get McLeod, Bishop and Walker they will do it with the understanding they know something internally on a players plans after this year or just take the Attitude we will worry about it later and it will work itself out.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Sub McLeod for Tertsea.
Never wanna force anyone out though and I would love to see Tertsea contribute, just seems unlikely with all these forwards coming that he will get on the court much.
Definitely like him here for depth purposes this year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This kid is gonna be good. He has the God-given gift, he'll have the coaches to develop further, the teammates, the fans, the arena for all the support he needs.
1 x
GO RAMS
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

"Especially when you're talking about a top 100 ESPN kid who will be a defensive monster when he adjusts to the NCAA pace of play.

Is it 'WHEN" he adjusts to the pace of Play or IF he adjusts? Are we trading a 6-9/10" project that can't Keep up for a 7'3" project who can't keep up?

Just asking??
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
FattsAndFurious wrote: 5 years ago
I think what he meant on three scholarships is that we actually only have three available for next year including Long, although many posters feel that there will be a fourth scholarship available following this year. If URI can get McLeod, Bishop and Walker they will do it with the understanding they know something internally on a players plans after this year or just take the Attitude we will worry about it later and it will work itself out.
I was operating under the 4 scholarship assumption too. With Long on board, and Bishop, Walker, McLeod, and Mading all taking OVs, it does seem like the staff intends on taking 4 commits as well.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I asked in the other thread, but I haven't seen any evidence of Layssard on campus - can anyone?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I asked in the other thread, but I haven't seen any evidence of Layssard on campus - can anyone?
Have you seen everyone else?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago "Especially when you're talking about a top 100 ESPN kid who will be a defensive monster when he adjusts to the NCAA pace of play.

Is it 'WHEN" he adjusts to the pace of Play or IF he adjusts? Are we trading a 6-9/10" project that can't Keep up for a 7'3" project who can't keep up?

Just asking??
We can not be scared as a program to take a big guy that we have a chance to get because two recent "bigs" did not pan out to play at the A10 LEVEL. It is clear as day when watching his clips that Naheem has basketball skill, mobility and length that is not found anywhere especially at the A10 level. Naheem mobility as a big guy is tough to find. Michael Tertsea from day one has never showed any real basketball skill especially at the offensive end of the floor. You can tell his shot is not soft and he has no confidence in. And Michael Tertsea did not even come close to sniffing a top 100 ranking. Now I dont think Naheem would start right away but if he makes a difference for 2 years that is good enough. Also and average big guy that is skinny at 6'9"/6'10" is far less impactful then a 7'3" BIG MAN WHO BY YOUR TERMS IS AVERAGE. I think your vision and mind is being clouded by the recent failings of tertsea and Layssard. Niether of those two had this stacked staff working with them since day one with their developments like Naheem will. Trust in the staff!!!!
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I asked in the other thread, but I haven't seen any evidence of Layssard on campus - can anyone?
Have you seen everyone else?
yes - example: Fatts instagram video from locker room today - the extended youtube video of Will's scholarship video. Anyone else missing? I think I see everyone, but him.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Everyone is on campus. The video of Will’s event only showed half the room and Fatts’ IG video of the locker room only should a small area.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Everyone is on campus.
Everyone that's on the team is...
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Oddly enough, he's in this picture on the right.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, I've heard things too. But Layssard is still listed on the roster. Akele has been removed. Now, back to Naheem...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Naheem is flying in tonight.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dre3000 wrote: 5 years ago
Everyone is on campus.
Everyone that's on the team is...
You can say that again.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Everyone is on campus. The video of Will’s event only showed half the room and Fatts’ IG video of the locker room only should a small area.
I don't want to derail this thread, but check the youtube video and freeze it at the times below:

freeze at 0:39 and you see: Cyril, Fatts, Christion, Jermaine, Dowtin, and Ryan Preston

That leaves Tertsea, Tyrese, Dana, Omar, and Layssard

Freeze at 1:07 for Tersea which leaves Tyrese, Dana, Omar, and Layssard

Freeze at 1:20 and you see Tyrese and Dana, which leaves Omar and Layssard

Freeze at 2:59 for Omar which leaves Layssard

No Layssard - everyone else present.
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
Oddly enough, he's in this picture on the right.
Old pic...
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Dre3000, you hinted at this before, do you know for a fact that Layssard is no longer part of the team? It sounds like you do and that he is not. Do you know if this was his decision, or was it the coaches?

Not sure what to make of that, that is 2 players that have left over the summer if that is the case. Down to 10 scholarship players, including five who did not play at all last year, and 2 that basically never got off the bench. Leaves us a little thin, and have to hope that the Freshman are ready to play from day one and that Preston (or Tertsea) can step up and be a contributor this year. I know a lot of you were not big Akele fans, but I think we may miss him more than most expect. He had 3 years of playing under his belt, and for the first month or so, we may miss that experience. I guess this answers the question of how many scholarships we are looking to fill.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago Dre3000, you hinted at this before, do you know for a fact that Layssard is no longer part of the team? It sounds like you do and that he is not. Do you know if this was his decision, or was it the coaches?

Not sure what to make of that, that is 2 players that have left over the summer if that is the case. Down to 10 scholarship players, including five who did not play at all last year, and 2 that basically never got off the bench. Leaves us a little thin, and have to hope that the Freshman are ready to play from day one and that Preston (or Tertsea) can step up and be a contributor this year. I know a lot of you were not big Akele fans, but I think we may miss him more than most expect. He had 3 years of playing under his belt, and for the first month or so, we may miss that experience. I guess this answers the question of how many scholarships we are looking to fill.
It is true that we probably could have used Akele this year for 15 minutes a game off the bench with all the graduations, but on the positive side the new players will get a ton of time which will give them great experience going into a highly anticipated 2019-20 season. There will be some ups and downs this year, but it should pay off for the future.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Read the tea leaves
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ok but does Jordan Hare have any remaining eligibility?
9 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yikes , didn’t realize that was an old picture of the students. If mike is gone, it could explain the large amount of bigs being recruited. Big weekend!
0 x
GO RAMS
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Yikes , didn’t realize that was an old picture of the students. If mike is gone, it could explain the large amount of bigs being recruited. Big weekend!
I know a kid. He's raw, never been coached...

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

One of the best sports movies of all time right there...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago Dre3000, you hinted at this before, do you know for a fact that Layssard is no longer part of the team? It sounds like you do and that he is not. Do you know if this was his decision, or was it the coaches?

I more or less agree with you on Akele, but the more interesting thing to me is that if Layssard is indeed gone, the two guys that left are the ones who weren’t recruited by this staff. I don’t think it says much about program/roster stability going forward and is more the kind of fallout usually associated with coaching changes. In the end, if that fallout is Adams, Akele and Layssard it could have been much worse, and probably can even be seen as helpful if they are able to land their targets this recruiting cycle. While Akele’s schollie was going to be open either way and his presence could have been useful this year, as RamStock said his absence may accelerate the development of other younger players who will be needed to max out next year and beyond. Even though I think this team has a good chance to be better than most expect, even I see this as ultimately a bridge year. From that perspective, I don’t see any of these departures as being problematic and see them more as part of the transition of this being Dan Hurley’s program to being David Cox’s program.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Naheem is being escorted around campus by the Fattman, evidently.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !