The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Nice piece. (Old timers might remember the French restaurant his parents owned down the Pier.)

The old Basil's restaurant located at 22 Kingston Road across from the present Trio. It closed in October of 2014 after 31 years in business. It was run by Yanni's parents Vasilios and Kathy Kourakis of S Kingstown. Kathy is a URI alumnus.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the energy Cox brings to the practice floor

Great piece indeed
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

giovanni wrote:
Put Christion's pic in there instead of Preston.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

That is a horrible picture of Jeff with his eyes. None of those pictures are good.
Retry.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
giovanni wrote:
Keep Preston in there, add Christion. :)
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Improved picture of Jeff and Thompson added. Could still get a better pic of Fatts and Thompson

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What’s the matter with the Fatts pic? Looks kind of swag-ish to me.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

TruePoint wrote:What’s the matter with the Fatts pic? Looks kind of swag-ish to me.
Agree, looks like Jeff's about to either drive the ball hard or D up tight with that look.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
giovanni wrote:
We should have Preston's picture on there since he is our only senior right? Maybe Will Leviton is as well
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Barring any very late additions, they start the season with just 11 scholarship players. Think there’s any chance they toss one Will’s way?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

They should. Football teams do it all the time after camp when some guys inevitably leave the program and they're short of the 85 they are allowed to use.

Great opportunity for some good PR if you get it on video, too.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Maybe split a scholarship between Will and Eric. I think they will hold one scholarship in case a mid-year transfer they like becomes available (KI). I know baseball and golf give half scholarship to each player.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Do it.

1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote:Maybe split a scholarship between Will and Eric. I think they will hold one scholarship in case a mid-year transfer they like becomes available (KI). I know baseball and golf give half scholarship to each player.
Basketball is a "head count" sport. Meaning scholarships are all or none, no splitting those scholarships. One walk-on would have to be left out if they chose to use a scholarship on them. Unless they would give both out (can't see that happening).
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Big difference is Will is a senior, so you give it to him this year and you lose nothing and you can use the scholarship again next year. Eric is a junior so you'd need to tie the scholarship up for two years or kick him off scholarship.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

You also need to know what the non-athletic financial aid packages are for each Will and Eric....they may be getting enough to make it worthwhile to keep the scholarship in the staff's pocket
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Big difference is Will is a senior, so you give it to him this year and you lose nothing and you can use the scholarship again next year. Eric is a junior so you'd need to tie the scholarship up for two years or kick him off scholarship.
Right. Unless a player plays himself onto the field or court as part of the regular rotation, the scholarship-as-reward concept really only applied to seniors. As far as whether the player would even want a scholarship if they already have a good aid package - trust me, these guys want the scholarship even if just for the symbolism.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The dude cleans bathrooms and stuff right now. I think he’d be ok giving that up for a scholarship. His dancing made tournament highlights, everyone knew Will... give him the ‘ship!
8 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree give it to him.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If there are no scholarship options that will eventually lead to meaningful playing time to a player (now or even in future years) and it would remain open, give it to Will for his senior season. There is no substantial benefit for the scholarship to go unused.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, Eric would have to clean all the bathrooms by himself?
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Will does pay in state tuition vs Eric paying out of state which is $16,000 more.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have raised this issue before with no one responding. Is URI exploring local tv partners for games as it once had? I ask as I fear the number of televised games will be taking a sharp decline with the departures of Hurley and most of the starters. Rhody at one time had some games on local tv outlets such as WNAC-64 and Cox. Since Cox stopped airing games two years ago, there has been no local outlet but that was offset with more national network games these last two seasons. I fear that option is about to change. Given network affiliates no longer seem to like pre-empting regular programming, alternative outlets would be the likely choice. Both WPRI and WJAR offer alternative stations in MyRI and MeTV. MyRI tv currently airs local productions of Brown basketball and Pawsox games. I would hope that URI was discussing the airing of games with them and MeTV. Does anyone know if URI is doing anything to get more games on TV?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote:I have raised this issue before with no one responding. Is URI exploring local tv partners for games as it once had? I ask as I fear the number of televised games will be taking a sharp decline with the departures of Hurley and most of the starters. Rhody at one time had some games on local tv outlets such as WNAC-64 and Cox. Since Cox stopped airing games two years ago, there has been no local outlet but that was offset with more national network games these last two seasons. I fear that option is about to change. Given network affiliates no longer seem to like pre-empting regular programming, alternative outlets would be the likely choice. Both WPRI and WJAR offer alternative stations in MyRI and MeTV. MyRI tv currently airs local productions of Brown basketball and Pawsox games. I would hope that URI was discussing the airing of games with them and MeTV. Does anyone know if URI is doing anything to get more games on TV?
Local tv would be nice - but the thing that we really need is a good streaming partner. Something that people can easily access on a fire stick or Apple TV. Free would be nice, in fact I would take some of the “Hurley” money and throw it towards this issue. The goal is to build the brand, can’t do that by making the fans pay for a shitty stream.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodylaw wrote:
RF1 wrote:I have raised this issue before with no one responding. Is URI exploring local tv partners for games as it once had? I ask as I fear the number of televised games will be taking a sharp decline with the departures of Hurley and most of the starters. Rhody at one time had some games on local tv outlets such as WNAC-64 and Cox. Since Cox stopped airing games two years ago, there has been no local outlet but that was offset with more national network games these last two seasons. I fear that option is about to change. Given network affiliates no longer seem to like pre-empting regular programming, alternative outlets would be the likely choice. Both WPRI and WJAR offer alternative stations in MyRI and MeTV. MyRI tv currently airs local productions of Brown basketball and Pawsox games. I would hope that URI was discussing the airing of games with them and MeTV. Does anyone know if URI is doing anything to get more games on TV?
Local tv would be nice - but the thing that we really need is a good streaming partner. Something that people can easily access on a fire stick or Apple TV. Free would be nice, in fact I would take some of the “Hurley” money and throw it towards this issue. The goal is to build the brand, can’t do that by making the fans pay for a shitty stream.

The A-10 just partnered with ESPN+, a pay (per mo) streaming service. My guess is its service will be more reliable. I however believe that it will just air the content it is supplied and not actually produce the games. That would probably still mean low tech, few cameras, radio broadcast sound snych, with few graphics URI in house productions we have seen before.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If nothing else, URI should make an investment in improving the quality of the broadcasts it produces, knowing that it will be the primary way its fans consume many of its games AND that the games will likely be viewed more frequently by college basketball fans outside of the market with no allegiance to URI. It is an investment in brand development both within your fan base and outside of it, and it really shouldn't be all that difficult to do for a major university.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I agree that contracts with local stations is not the way to go; streaming is. Would like to see the quality of the radio broadcast improve too.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:I agree that contracts with local stations is not the way to go; streaming is. Would like to see the quality of the radio broadcast improve too.

The problem with streaming is that only diehard Rhody fans will bother to find it and watch. It will not atttract more casual fans and help grow interest in the program. This will be especially magnified with ESPN+ being a separate monthly pay service.

Furthermore, I do not have a lot of faith in URI producing high quality productions. The ineptitude literally displayed on the big screens at the Ryan Center in its early years are still fresh in my mind. I can only imagine URI using students to produce the games with them having a long learning curve and once they are good, they graduate and move on. URI then starts the cycle again with newbies.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

If you get and pay for ESPN you automatically qualify for their streaming service. You just have to hook it up.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RF1 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I agree that contracts with local stations is not the way to go; streaming is. Would like to see the quality of the radio broadcast improve too.

The problem with streaming is that only diehard Rhody fans will bother to find it and watch. It will not atttract more casual fans and help grow interest in the program. This will be especially magnified with ESPN+ being a separate monthly pay service.
Casual fans don't care about games against no name teams who we'll likely beat by double digits. Those are the types of games that would be on local stations and will be on ESPN+.

Also with more and more people cutting cable, broadcasting on local stations where there may not be an online stream is objectively worse than ESPN+.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Invest time, money and resources in the streaming product. Yes we should have a local partner for a dwindling minority of older “casual” fans who can even find MyRI or another regional channel on their lineup but the streaming product is more impt for the future fan.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Good that Chase Campbell has respect in the training area.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Sutton providing good exposure thru his USA Basketball work.
Great that this is in DC. Between Cox and Sutton Rhody will continue to be top recruiters in the DMV
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Social media has alerted me to the fact that it is both Cyril and Dana’s birthday today. It’s a double Ram birthday! Take the day off, tell your bosses it’s a holiday.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This video is from last summer. Fatts posted it in IG today saying they are back at it playing at Imhotep.
Watch the bottom of the video at the beginning for the names of the players there. Impressive.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Didn't see it posted before, but there is a Season Ticket holder event at the RC on Sept. 26th.
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

theblueram wrote:Didn't see it posted before, but there is a Season Ticket holder event at the RC on Sept. 26th.
Blue Ram...did you receive an email about this or was it something you received in the mail.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:Didn't see it posted before, but there is a Season Ticket holder event at the RC on Sept. 26th.
They can start practice 42 days before their first game (Nov 6th). I believe that is Sept 25th (Tues) assuming Nov 6th isn’t counted towards the 42 days. Has anyone heard about the general public opening night (concert etc)?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Tom98 wrote:
Blue Ram...did you receive an email about this or was it something you received in the mail.
I got an email earlier this week.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I received an email. Meet and greet with players and staff. Cash bar. You can bring yourself, + the number of seats you have.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Just a note about how random and ridiculous coaching can be. I was talking with a friend who is a Georgetown fan, who reminded me that, when Cox was hired away by Mike Rice at Rutgers and left Georgetown, he was considered not to be a big loss. Some fans felt he had not been a good recruiter (!). Then, he was fired by Eddie Jordan, who was, to put it mildly, just awful. Now, JT3 and Eddie are nowhere to be found. I believe the phrase goes, “how ya like me now, scrubs?”
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote:Just a note about how random and ridiculous coaching can be. I was talking with a friend who is a Georgetown fan, who reminded me that, when Cox was hired away by Mike Rice at Rutgers and left Georgetown, he was considered not to be a big loss. Some fans felt he had not been a good recruiter (!). Then, he was fired by Eddie Jordan, who was, to put it mildly, just awful. Now, JT3 and Eddie are nowhere to be found. I believe the phrase goes, “how ya like me now, scrubs?”
I’d presume he left G’town to go to RU because of $$$. When Rice was fired I read that players and parents STRONGLY advocated for Cox to be the next HC. Eddie clearly had control issues and was in way too deep in the college game. He was an abysmal coach.

I heard JT3 do color commentary on a URI game last year and he praised Cox. Don’t believe him leaving left any hard feelings. Assistants leave all the time for “Greener” pastures...pun intended.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote:
ace wrote:Just a note about how random and ridiculous coaching can be. I was talking with a friend who is a Georgetown fan, who reminded me that, when Cox was hired away by Mike Rice at Rutgers and left Georgetown, he was considered not to be a big loss. Some fans felt he had not been a good recruiter (!). Then, he was fired by Eddie Jordan, who was, to put it mildly, just awful. Now, JT3 and Eddie are nowhere to be found. I believe the phrase goes, “how ya like me now, scrubs?”
I’d presume he left G’town to go to RU because of $$$. When Rice was fired I read that players and parents STRONGLY advocated for Cox to be the next HC. Eddie clearly had control issues and was in way too deep in the college game. He was an abysmal coach.

I heard JT3 do color commentary on a URI game last year and he praised Cox. Don’t believe him leaving left any hard feelings. Assistants leave all the time for “Greener” pastures...pun intended.
They sure do... Murray, Murphy, ARD. Don’t misunderstand me- when I talk about “no big loss,” I mean the perceptions of the fans, not JT3. What they blamed on Cox was them clearly missing the bigger picture. Assistants can only work within the program, kind of like how Murphy seemed a lot more successful starting around 2012. He was always good, but the main guy before then? Not so much.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Nice promotion for students. A Ruckus tshirt and a replica jersey along with membership for just $20. What is the typical number of Ruckus members?

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think it’s a t-shirt and a chance to win a jersey.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Has to be an Odom jersey
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I miss this font

As I said a million times - we should have a universal font and universal spelling of “Rhode Island” across every uniform for all sports and also for fan merchandise

It would define the school as our font and be a hit w marketing
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:I think it’s a t-shirt and a chance to win a jersey.
Oh, I thought it was a jersey for each of the first 1,000 members.
Wording is a little mislesding. It should say a chance to win a replica jersey.
It says “eligible to receive a replica jersey”.
So they are giving away ONE jersey. Weak
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just read my Quad Angles magazine they had a nice article in cox , didn't realize he was a good friend of Mike Tomlin they went to WMU together
1 x