2018-2019 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2018-2019 Rotation

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:I'm liking :
Jeff -PG
Fatts- SG
Thompson-SF
Harris-PF
Langevine-C

Bench-Tate-Preston-Silverio-Layssard (or Tertsea)
You forgot Martin.
I'm sure Cox will use a few different lineups, but its difficult to go deeper than 8 or 9.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great highlights of JD from high school

I can see a jump up to about 15 Ppg and 7 assists

Also think he has a decent chance to make NBA
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox is looking for Jeff to pickup the scoring. I can see him avg 15-16 ppg. We all know Jeff’s assist to turnover ratio is great. Fatts doesn’t have the size to be the 2G. They will both distribute and both score. I can see Fatts penetrating and dishing to Cyril or Harris or finishing at the basket. Fatts is a great finisher.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That is a FRESHMAN! woop woop!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Whoever hates on Fatts can leave and never come back.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

steveystuds06 wrote:

Continue to let Fatts think people are hating on him. So what if it isn’t true? Whatever works! Get it done Fatts!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:I'm liking :
Jeff -PG
Fatts- SG
Thompson-SF
Harris-PF
Langevine-C

Bench-Tate-Preston-Silverio-Layssard (or Tertsea)
You forgot Martin.
I'm sure Cox will use a few different lineups, but its difficult to go deeper than 8 or 9.
Martin is a top 130 player out of HS, he’ll certainly be one of the first players off the bench.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Over under on 25+ point games for Fatts, 4.5
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

steveystuds06 wrote:

Just make sure you wear Keaney Blue in the RC!!!!!! Fatts is the man!!!!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Huge Fatts fan..... the kid is a gamer. I look forward to his leadership.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Here’s my depth chart:

PG - Fatts - Silverio
SG - Dowtin - Thompson
SF - Martin - Tate
PF - Harris - Preston
C - Langivine - Laysaard

Between Tate, Harris and Martin, I think you eat up most of the forward minutes, with Preston filling in if there is foul trouble. I think the main battle early on in the season will be Thompson and Silverio for the first guard off the bench.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Looking forward to seeing Cyril this year.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Guys sit on the bench for one of two reasons- they’re good but blocked by better talent or they’re not very good. My worry would be this team’s bench guys (Thompson aside) are mostly the second, which is why I think the freshmen will ultimately determine how far the team goes.
It looks like Layssard was a miss. ARD raved about him but .... Tertsea was always a project so there's no shame in a project not coming through. The jury is out on Preston. If this year is anything like last year then he's a miss too. I'm still surprised they couldn't bring in a better big transfer for a team that had minutes available and was projected (correctly) to go to the tournament.

No one bats 1.000, and the staff has missed on a few bigs. As Ace says, the freshmen are likely to move ahead of them.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ARD even mentioned NBA and Layssard in the same breath. Like, how? Layssard’s high school competition was poor, but I have to wonder what he thought he saw.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm hearing whispers about Martin and how impressive he is. I remember when Dan and Cox talked about him they sounded giddy, like they knew they stole someone (similar to how they spoke about Langevine). Harris and Martin could both be pressing for starter minutes from Day 1. Not necessarily a bad thing.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome news thanks BAR
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some of the players are back on campus today and working hard. I recognize Dana and Jermaine. Unsure of the 3rd player.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Is that Will Leviton? He lives local so would make sense he is one of the first ones back on campus.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Some of the players are back on campus today and working hard. I recognize Dana and Jermaine. Unsure of the 3rd player.
the guy on the bike "oh shit, I got to get out of the way!!" haha

I'm liking the Chase Campbell hire more and more
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, that’s Will.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to see the players working hard
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A job of assistant coaches is to pump up the confidence of players. View ARD's comments in that context.

URI finally got a PG with some size and talent in Jeff Dowtin. PG is where he will play at the next level - here or in Europe. URI would be making a big mistake moving him to SG. Fatts gets swallowed up when he penetrates. Jeff can drive, finish, dish or take the short pop; and is outside shot must be respected. When Fatt's goes cold from the outside, he's useless because defenders back off.

Cyril's groin injury set him back last year and he made very little progress over his freshman year. I'm looking for Cyril to have a big year.

URI needs someone to step up as an outside threat.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody72, “Fatts gets swallowed up when he penetrates. When goes cold from the outside, he is useless because defenders back off.”
What is that comment based on? Watch his drives against Davidson in this video.

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Rhody72, “Fatts gets swallowed up when he penetrates. When goes cold from the outside, he is useless because defenders back off.”
What is that comment based on? Watch his drives against Davidson in this video.

The "low lights" would be much longer than the "high lights". Sure he made some spectacular finishes as he forced shots that should have never been taken.

I'm not here to bash Fatts - he had a good freshman year. But he 's much better in the open court than penetrating in the half court offense where his size is a major disadvantage. Fatts game would greatly improve if he was a reliable outside shooter which had to be respected by the defense. This would also benefit his teammates.

This team needs to have good possessions that lead to good scoring opportunities. This will happen more often when Jeff Dowtin has control of the ball than Fatts. If Fatts has a much better sophomore year (which is possible), then this will make the team better.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

They’re both going to handle the ball. Jeff’s most distinctive thing as a player is ball security. That is really valuable and it’s obvious why coaches and fans are very comfortable with him having the ball in his hands, especially on key high-leverage possessions. Fatts is probably better ball handler and more imaginative passer, especially in the open floor and in traffic. Because Fatts is a more aggressive risk taker he will make more mistakes AND create more easy baskets. Fatts is also the more pure scorer of the two but is probably more dangerous creating his own shot off the bounce than as a spot-up shooter at this point in his career - I don’t see URI running him off a million off-ball screens trying to free him up for jumpers like he is JJ Reddick. Both of these guys are better with the ball in their hands, and fortunately their games compliment each other in a way that makes it possible for them to share primary ball handler responsibilities.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agree TP. Go back to how Dan felt about Fatts’ future. Much different than ‘72 feels. Checkout some clips of Fatts against top competition in Philly summer games and during HS/AAU against top 50 players. His size is not an issue. The comment about his “low lights” is just off base. That is bashing Fatts no matter whzt you claim after

Edit: Here is a clip from this summer against players from Mova, Kentucky, s Carolina.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Here is the Peach Jam. The top AAU Tournament in the country. Fatts made second team All Tourney. First Team PG was Trae Young.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

One thing we do not have to worry about or be concerned with is the performance of Fatts Russell. He could easily wind up being the most popular Ram of all time
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago They’re both going to handle the ball. Jeff’s most distinctive thing as a player is ball security. That is really valuable and it’s obvious why coaches and fans are very comfortable with him having the ball in his hands, especially on key high-leverage possessions. Fatts is probably better ball handler and more imaginative passer, especially in the open floor and in traffic. Because Fatts is a more aggressive risk taker he will make more mistakes AND create more easy baskets. Fatts is also the more pure scorer of the two but is probably more dangerous creating his own shot off the bounce than as a spot-up shooter at this point in his career - I don’t see URI running him off a million off-ball screens trying to free him up for jumpers like he is JJ Reddick. Both of these guys are better with the ball in their hands, and fortunately their games compliment each other in a way that makes it possible for them to share primary ball handler responsibilities.
To have the luxury of that change of pace is ridiculous in college basketball. The level of skill and IQ they both display at the 1, yet with such different styles of play, is going to be an amazing tool for Cox to utilize.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Fatts no doubt carried the team in a couple games last year. There’s a switch, though, in being the fourth or fifth option who can emerge and dominate and being one of the main guys who needs to be that nearly every game. I’m very intrigued to see how he makes the change. He’s the kind of guy who embraces that, and he was fortunate enough to be surrounded by and to watch and learn from an incredible group of seniors last year. He’s hyped for this season.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Fatts no doubt carried the team in a couple games last year. There’s a switch, though, in being the fourth or fifth option who can emerge and dominate and being one of the main guys who needs to be that nearly every game. I’m very intrigued to see how he makes the change. He’s the kind of guy who embraces that, and he was fortunate enough to be surrounded by and to watch and learn from an incredible group of seniors last year. He’s hyped for this season.
I know HS and AAU are different than college but he showed he could be the lead player at Imhotep and Team Final against the top competition in the country.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think he WANTS a lead role and I think he'll be great at it, starting this year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Just seems like the type of dude who will thrive off of having that pressure on him. Not really worried about him stepping into a larger role, and I don’t think he is worried about, either.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As I said, he’s the kind of guy who embraces being the guy. It’s still different being one of the primary guys the opponent’s defensive game plan targets. Teams plan around shutting down players X, Y, and Z and if anyone else beats them, good on ‘em. Fatts is now a primary target of the other team’s defense. It’s encouraging that he had some dreadful stretches of conference games and then rebounded last year.

His confidence level is pretty well-established :)

Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I myself traded a walk-on role in the war for a lead role in a cage......
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Players all back on campus today. Back at it tomorrow- strength & conditioning, classes and open runs. Practices with coaches start in 3 weeks.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Watch this entire video and tell us what your thought is.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Fatts is good for about 15 a game this season
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I think Fatts is good for about 15 a game this season
The only question is does he get to the 15 per game by going for 25 one night and 5 the next? We need him to be a consistent double figure guy with nights where he goes off for 25+.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He needs to avoid too many 1 for 8 shooting nights.....had too many of those type games last season....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think he will be a consistent scorer when he is not hitting from deep I bet he drives a lot and gets to the line
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago He needs to avoid too many 1 for 8 shooting nights.....had too many of those type games last season....
You really don’t like Fatts. What’s up with that? He had too many 1 for 8 shooting nights. How many did he have?
He was the 4th/5th G as a Fr. His outside FG shooting % was low. That can happen with spot playing time. I am sure he has worked on his shooting this offseason. He shot 80% from the line. He is the all time leader at Imhotep in scoring, assist & steals.
Why so negative?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The answer is one.

He did have several 1 for 7s, an 0 for 8 and a 1 for 10.

The 1 for 10 was the Joes senior night game that nobody could do anything. Three of these games came in a row, including the 1 for 10 on senior night sandwiched in the middle of 1 for 8 and 1 for 7. That 3 for 25 stretch came in games 27, 28 and 29 - probably fair to assume he had hit the proverbial wall. He had another three game stretch early in the year where he went 1 for 13. You take those games out, and he’s a 40% shooter (compared to a 35% shooter with them). That wouldn’t be too bad, but I’d expect the FG percentage to come up to safely above 40% just based on him having a more regular role (and not feeling like he has to hunt shots) and typical year over year improvement that college players frequently experience from their first to second year. I’m honestly not worried about Fatts. He just feels like a guy who will embrace and step up to the challenge of being thrust into a lead role.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

As evidenced by 20 points vs PC and 15 vs Oklahoma.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No need to worry about Fatts. We need to worry about who is going to be a consistent 3rd scorer from the outside and if Cyril can stay on the floor for 30 mpg. We get both of those taken care of and we will have a good season. Jeff and Fatts are gonna show up.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago He needs to avoid too many 1 for 8 shooting nights.....had too many of those type games last season....
You really don’t like Fatts. What’s up with that? He had too many 1 for 8 shooting nights. How many did he have?
He was the 4th/5th G as a Fr. His outside FG shooting % was low. That can happen with spot playing time. I am sure he has worked on his shooting this offseason. He shot 80% from the line. He is the all time leader at Imhotep in scoring, assist & steals.
Why so negative?
Not being negative, just pointing out that Fatts had some poor shooting games last season....I too think his shooting will improve this season....and we will need that.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Also, I'm sure he's been a starter his whole life. Sometimes it's hard to get into a rhythm when coming off the bench. Not an excuse, just pointing that out. That's no longer a problem. He'll play all the minutes he can handle. I think he'll be a plus shooter going forward.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Just for abusing Trae Young and dunking on the mental hospital made Fatts one of my all-time favorite Rams.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NEED a 3rd scorer to step up.

Key to the season.
0 x
Go Rhody