‘19 F Anthony Walker (Miami ---> Indiana)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘19 MD F Anthony Walker (Offer)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Great write up. I think the writer has a typo. RI, Arizona State etc were watching him on Friday night. Kansas, Virginia etc were watching him on Saturday. I left before the game Friday night (9:45 pm start). I don’t know if Cox made it back for that game. He went to NJ to watch Naheem’s 6:00 pm game. The drive between Gauntlet in NYC and Summer Icebreaker in NJ is about 1:15-1:30. Carroll stayed at Gauntlet the entire time on Thursday and Friday. He watched Walker Thursday & Friday. I talked to him Thursday night for awhile and he said Sutton and Coach Cox would know the best as to the status on recruiting Walker. If Cox wasn’t courtside to watch any of Walker’s games it shows the shift in priority. That is an “if” because he might have been there.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Walker himself said URI is recruiting him the hardest, so I’m not sure why folks think the priority has shifted.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I was at the Adidas Gauntlet. I am hoping that Walker has already agreed to an official visit. Carroll sitting sidelines for all his games isn’t exactly showing priority. Carroll told me he isn’t the primary recruiter for Walker. Sutton and Cox are. Sutton was in Atlanta. I said “if” Cox didn’t make it back for Walker’s game Friday night. Cox was at all if Bishop’s games and went to NJ to a lower level AAU event to watch Naheem McLeod twice.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Team BBC lost this morning. Walker shot poorly 3-11, 0-3. He was 10-12 FTs for a total of 16 points. Love a big guy that can shoot FTs.

Big guy he played against for Jayhawks had 24 points.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like they're still on him hard.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Full article from earlier tweet posted here...

https://illiniscoops.com/2018/07/14/ill ... -after-it/

"Anthony said “Seton Hall, VCU, URI, TCU, UNLV, ECU, SJU, Towson, Umass, St. Bonaventure, Drexel, Buffalo and Illinois now have all offered. Rhode Island has really been on me heavy.”"
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's great we are on him hard . Set your priorities high then adjust if he chooses someone else
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

David Cox made sure to be a consistent presence at Walker's games, the new Rhode Island boss has been very proactive recruiting him.

"They have a role for me," said Walker of Rhode Island. "They like to play fast, and I like to get up and down the court, so I think it could be a good fit."
https://247sports.com/college/basketbal ... 119843029/
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
David Cox made sure to be a consistent presence at Walker's games, the new Rhode Island boss has been very proactive recruiting him.

"They have a role for me," said Walker of Rhode Island. "They like to play fast, and I like to get up and down the court, so I think it could be a good fit."
https://247sports.com/college/basketbal ... 119843029/
Just an FYI, I was at Walker’s first two games at Adidas Gauntlet Thursday & Friday and Coach Cox wasn’t there (just Coach Carroll). Coach Cox was in Atlanta and then NJ. Coach Cox did see Walker play Saturday & Sunday.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Team BBC’s schedule the next two weeks (they aren’t going to Adidas Championship in CA).

July 18-22 NY2LA Summer Jam (Wisconsin)
Juky 25-29 Prime Event National Showcase (Orlando)

Walker isn’t an invite to the Adidas Top 60 Camp in LA per Seth Greenberg because he isn’t in CA for the Adidas Championship.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

That is last weekend’s game. I was at that game. Brewster Academy just doing some promotion with old material.
Walker is in Wisconsin at open event this week. Will play against some Nike circuit teams.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Whose gotta have him? Maryland

Why? With twins Makhi Mitchell and Makhel Mitchell already committed, Maryland doesn't have to have another big guy. But man, Walker would give them a totally different element because of his athleticism and ability to attack big men off the dribble. He's local and while he's not close to a finished product, he's got upside to become a fixture.

The competition: Minnesota, Kansas, Illinois, St. John's, Seton Hall, Rhode Island, VCU and others.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... a-have-em-
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Sutton was in WI watching Walker yesterday.

I think he is Rhody’s most important recruit. More important than Bishop. Rhody has plenty of guys in the 6’3”-6’6” range that can play the 2 or 3. They have two Forwards and Cyril will be a Sr when the 19s are Fr.

I think they have the most competition for Walker so it will be tough to win.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bishop is #1, Walker #2
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote:Bishop is #1, Walker #2
I gave my opinion based on seeing them play. Is your post your opinion or did you talk to Coach Cox?

The coaches’ visable level of interest is very similar.
Both players have had unofficial visits with uniform pics etc
Last week there was an Ast Coach at every game for both and Coach Cox saw both play two games.
This week there has been an Ast Coach at every game for both. Coach Cox has seen Bishop play and is going to see Walker play.

Rhody is in a better position with Bishop because of his relationship with Fatts and the serious competition isn’t as strong as it is with Walker. They have a better shot at getting Bishop. They are the leader with Bishop and he isn’t having a very good Evaluation Period. Walker seems to be getting increased exposure this Eval Period and has performed very well.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Coach Sutton in the back row behind Calipari on Thursday watching Walker.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Team BBC won this morning at NY2LA. Play again at 4:00 CT.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:Bishop is #1, Walker #2
I gave my opinion based on seeing them play. Is your post your opinion or did you talk to Coach Cox?

The coaches’ visable level of interest is very similar.
Both players have had unofficial visits with uniform pics etc
Last week there was an Ast Coach at every game for both and Coach Cox saw both play two games.
This week there has been an Ast Coach at every game for both. Coach Cox has seen Bishop play and is going to see Walker play.

Rhody is in a better position with Bishop because of his relationship with Fatts and the serious competition isn’t as strong as it is with Walker. They have a better shot at getting Bishop. They are the leader with Bishop and he isn’t having a very good Evaluation Period. Walker seems to be getting increased exposure this Eval Period and has performed very well.
All anyone can post here is opinion and hearsay.

Bishop is still our number 1 target until he’s not....i.e. he commits.
Last edited by DC_Rams 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

DC...is that opinion or hearsay??
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ramulous wrote:DC...is that opinion or hearsay??
Mere Message Board speculation.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

aha....a third category....LOL
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

To get to Elite 8. First game tomorrow at 10:00 am CT
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

K Low lost in the Elite 8. No box scores from this tournament - poor website and video exposure.

Unfortunately Walker isn’t going to the Adidas Top 60 Camp in LA (per Seth Greenberg because he isn’t in CA for the Adidas Championship).
It would’ve been great for Bishop and Walker to talk about going to Rhody together. Bishop and Walker do follow each other on Twitter.

July 25-29
Team BBC is playing in Prime Event National Showcase (Orlando)
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Team BBC initial games this upcoming weekend

Link
https://basketball.exposureevents.com/1 ... mid=888449

Web site
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Team BBC won in OT 61-57. Watched some of the game. Walker was covering a guy taller than him and did well defensively. Sutton was there.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Team BBC went 2-1 in Pool Play. Start the bracket round tomorrow. Coach Sutton covering a lot of ground (two tournaments in Orlando). Walker is a priority though.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Anyone seen anything on where Walker might be leaning?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CT Rhody wrote:Anyone seen anything on where Walker might be leaning?
All we know is that we are on him the hardest.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm not sure we know that
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote:I'm not sure we know that
Not sure if that was sarcasm, but he said it himself via the article a few posts up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

C'mon...since when has a kid been a reliable source on his own recruitment. (That is kind of sarcasm)
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I'm not sure we know that
Not sure if that was sarcasm, but he said it himself via the article a few posts up.
Iggy could have interpreted your “hardest” to mean the most compared to other recruits.
Maybe Iggy’s sources are telling him that another big man has become the primary focus - like Somerville.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Team BBC won by 18 last night. They play in the Round of 16 today at 2:15 ET vs Metro Boston.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

giovanni wrote:
I don’t recall Hurley EVER traveling this much. Head coach with the grind mentality of a lead assistant is dangerous. Love this staff!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah putting in that work for sure. Let's get ourselves a quality big for 2019 !!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote:
giovanni wrote:
I don’t recall Hurley EVER traveling this much. Head coach with the grind mentality of a lead assistant is dangerous. Love this staff!!
The key now is, will it matter. Grinding is great, but if it doesn't lead to results its meaningless. We know Hurley could close, time for Cox to prove the same.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
giovanni wrote:
The key now is, will it matter. Grinding is great, but if it doesn't lead to results its meaningless. We know Hurley could close, time for Cox to prove the same.
I’m wondering if maybe he just didn’t pay as close attention to what the former coach did. The staff is working hard, just like hundreds of other staffs are. The watch schedule seems very similar to what has been going on in past years. Don’t sell Cox short by fawning over just meeting the expectations of a good staff. It’s a staff that should get results. Cox and Sutton are excellent and, for better and worse, Ty is Ty :) I like the Long signing. He may ceiling out as a solid four-year program guy, but it was important to keep the momentum going.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:
adam914 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
I’m wondering if maybe he just didn’t pay as close attention to what the former coach did. The staff is working hard, just like hundreds of other staffs are. The watch schedule seems very similar to what has been going on in past years. Don’t sell Cox short by fawning over just meeting the expectations of a good staff. It’s a staff that should get results. Cox and Sutton are excellent and, for better and worse, Ty is Ty :) I like the Long signing. He may ceiling out as a solid four-year program guy, but it was important to keep the momentum going.
I agree with Ace. Dan did travel as much and is traveling the same at UCONN. All of these coaches do crazy travel this three weeks. The flying is the worst for the HC because they try make a game for every key recruit. We are getting a little more information from the Rhody coaching staff during this eval. Dan seems to be sharing more also. It's good promo for them with recruits, families etc.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:
ace wrote:
adam914 wrote:
I agree with Ace. Dan did travel as much and is traveling the same at UCONN. All of these coaches do crazy travel this three weeks. The flying is the worst for the HC because they try make a game for every key recruit. We are getting a little more information from the Rhody coaching staff during this eval. Dan seems to be sharing more also. It's good promo for them with recruits, families etc.
Can you just tell us that Cox landed commitments from Walker and Bishop so we can be done with all this recruiting please!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nope it never stops , even if we sign these 2 guys I am sure our coaches will keep pounding the pavement???
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
ace wrote:
Can you just tell us that Cox landed commitments from Walker and Bishop so we can be done with all this recruiting please!
That would be great. Hopefully in Sept/Oct after official visits.
1) Bishop
2) Walker
If not Walker, Somerville.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
That would be great. Hopefully in Sept/Oct after official visits.
1) Bishop
2) Walker
If not Walker, Somerville.
I would take Wahab over Somerville but I haven’t seen much on either so maybe I’m relying on rankings too much.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Wahab has a better set of offers than Somerville, and it’s not even close. But, interest has to be mutual at this point to make it worth it to keep investing time in a recruit.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:Wahab has a better set of offers than Somerville, and it’s not even close. But, interest has to be mutual at this point to make it worth it to keep investing time in a recruit.
Right, it seems that Somerville’s first choice is URI.
Coach Sutton is focused on two players - Walker and Somerville.

It has been a normal process so far. Think of the four recruits who came in for the complete unofficial visits (with uniform picture)
Long
Bishop
Walker
Somerville

You can expect them all to be back for official visits in Sept/Oct.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Great kid. He would be such a good fit.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Anthony’s Audio
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Favorite color blue nice. He certainly would look great in Keaney Blue.
0 x