‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier > St Joe’s > FGCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bishop is playing again tonight at 9:45 and sous Walker (also 9:45) for any of you New Yorkers. Basketball City at Pier 36.

Edited: tune and Walker’s game
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

STC wrote:PC is pretty loaded in the back court for the near future with David Duke (FR), Makai Ashton-Langford (Soph) and AJ Reeves (FR) all being top 100 recruits and early in college careers. Just don't see it making sense for Bishop but Cooley is a heck of a coach and recruiter so I'm not ruling it out.
But MAL sucks and I think Duke is overrated. Reeves will be a tremendous player though. Just my observation of those 3.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
STC wrote:PC is pretty loaded in the back court for the near future with David Duke (FR), Makai Ashton-Langford (Soph) and AJ Reeves (FR) all being top 100 recruits and early in college careers. Just don't see it making sense for Bishop but Cooley is a heck of a coach and recruiter so I'm not ruling it out.
But MAL sucks and I think Duke is overrated. Reeves will be a tremendous player though. Just my observation of those 3.
But those 3 will not have played a game this year before Bishop gives a verbal
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Looks like K Low’s game tonight will be live streamed on Adidas Gauntlet.com. Game before is running behind. My guess for a start time is 10:15.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Game is live streaming now
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

K Low won in an ugly game to advance to the quarterfinals. Bishop had a double double with 16 points (leading scorer) and 10 rebounds.
He struggled from outside but can drive to the basket. Plays great defense causing a lot of steals.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

K Low (Bishop) plays tonight in the Round of 16 at 6:00 pm on Court 5 it could be the Live Stream game. If it isn’t, Walker’s team (Team BBC) will be the live stream on Court 4 at 6:00 pm. Free streaming at adidasgauntlet.com.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

K Low won in Round of 16. Play in quarterfinals tomorrow at 10:30 am. Bishop had 15 points tonight.

Edit: it appears that was the quarterfinals of the Winners Championship. They lost in the semis to a very good Compto Magic team.

Box score link below:
https://basketball.exposureevents.com/1 ... 730693&r=7
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Imhotep's Bishop talks high-major recruitment

A lot has changed for K-Low Elite's (Pa.) Dahmir Bishop (2019/Imhotep Charter) since last summer.

Around this time last year, he was starting to breach the high-level Division I conversation. Since then, a 31-2 record with his high school team, a state championship run, and the buzz surrounding his play as a Class 4A first team all-state player--he's only solidified his spot among high-major D-I chatter.

"It's looking real good," Bishop said. "I think I've really been asserting myself as a being a high-major basketball player. It's good to know that I'm in the position I'm in, and that I've just been working for this."

Currently, he says that he is being recruited by Florida, Texas, Xavier, Rhode Island, Providence, Auburn, N.C. State, and many others.

Standing 6-foot-4, Bishop is a strong scorer from almost anywhere on the court. He has a great shooting stroke from long range, but he also carries a relentless attitude when it comes to attacking inside. He plays with great emotion. Defensively, his length and ability to stay low while moving laterally makes him a tough asset to get by on that end of the court.

Unfortunately for him and K-Low Elite, they were knocked out of the 17U semifinals by Compton Magic (Calif.). Bishop had 11 points in the 59-50 loss.

It marked the end of an impressive run in New York for K-Low Elite, which was the dark horse of the last four teams remaining. Until Sunday's loss to Compton Magic, it enjoyed a five-game winning streak that dated back to the April recruiting period. Overall, in 2018, K-Low Elite has a 9-4 record--placing it among the top three teams in its Adidas Gauntlet pool.

He plans dedicating his offseason on bulking up and spending time in the weight room, adding onto his frame to make him a more complete athlete.

As for the college recruitment scene, he doesn't plan on trimming down his long list of schools until the fall, possibly September. So far, he's only visited one school, Rhode Island, but will look into scheduling more later on.

"Rhode Island was really good," he said. "I like the culture they have there, and I like the coaches there."

Until the time comes for when he will take the next step in his college process, he's taking things in stride and focusing on the work ahead of him.

"I've had a good summer, so I'm liking the way I'm playing, just need to keep progressing," Bishop said. "..Right now, I'm just focused on winning and finishing up my summer. Just want to have a good year, get better, win everything like last year in high school, and that's it."
https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/ne ... how/934333
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bishop's Remaining schedule:
July 18-22 K Low at Adidas Championship in Orange County, CA
July 23 & 24 Bishop invited to Adidas top 60 camp in LA run by Seth Greenberg
July 25-29 K Low at Las Vegas Classic

Rhody coaches will be in CA and Vegas to watch him.

Bishop also mentioned playing in an outdoor event on Aug 3rd. I believe it’s in NYC.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Marquette offered today.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe Bishop will make a verbal commit to URI in Oct and sign a NLOI during the early signing period in November.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody83 wrote:I believe Bishop will make a verbal commit to URI in Oct and sign a NLOI during the early signing period in November.
Inside info or gut reaction?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think the fact that he said he isn't even cutting his list until the fall makes it far from a lock for us.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Young man is an absolute stud. 5 star talent. Hope URI is in some type of final list, but cannot see Dahmir going outside of ACC, B 10 or P 5.

Would love to see him in Kingston in Keaney Blue, but if not PLEASE no PC.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think we get him and Walker.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

giovanni wrote:Young man is an absolute stud. 5 star talent. Hope URI is in some type of final list, but cannot see Dahmir going outside of ACC, B 10 or P 5.

Why such a pessimistic view when URI is considered the leader?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
giovanni wrote:Young man is an absolute stud. 5 star talent. Hope URI is in some type of final list, but cannot see Dahmir going outside of ACC, B 10 or P 5.

Maybe we are still the leader, maybe not. He has been getting better offers lately and will probably get even better offers than those. At one time, he was 'liking' every tweet that was URI related. He's not doing that anymore. Coincidence? Who knows. I hope Fatts is a very persuasive kid because this obviously would be a huge get.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

From talking to Philly people who know him, Dahmir is just really enjoying the recruiting process- the attention, the hype, collecting offers, all of it. That isn’t a criticism, either. Some guys just like that kind of stuff more than others. Fatts and his family, including his stepdad who is a coach at Imhotep, all have really positive things to say about URI (and the former coach, too, for that matter but I don’t know if they’ve offered). Getting in early helps with some players, but I don’t fault guys if they end up taking a newer offer that they feel fits them better. I don’t know which way Dahmir leans. Regardless, Imhotep should again be good this season, so they’ll have a lot of college coaches coming through.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:

Maybe we are still the leader, maybe not. He has been getting better offers lately and will probably get even better offers than those. At one time, he was 'liking' every tweet that was URI related. He's not doing that anymore. Coincidence? Who knows. I hope Fatts is a very persuasive kid because this obviously would be a huge get.
He’s not doing that with any other team though. He also retweeted videos of Cox.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:

URI is the leader. Dahmir’s friendship with Fatts is a significant differentiator.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bishop and Karam Cummings (#11) aren’t playing tonight for K Low. Not sure why.

Edit: Adidas Web site could be reporting this wrong. Bishop wears jersey #7 for K Low. They have him not playing but they have unidentified player #1. That is probably Bishop. He wears #1 for Imhotep. At the end of play-by-play they had Bishop scoring. Final Box score now has him as #1. I think he has 10 points (4 in the last minute) on only 7 shots. K Low won in a great comeback over the last 3 minutes over John Wall Elite.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is the Adidas Top 60 Camp in LA that Bishop is going to right after the Adidas Championship this weekend.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

K Low loses tonight. They were up 7 at half but fell behind early in the 2nd half. They gave up 42 points in a 16 minute 2nd half. Bishop struggled shooting 3-15 and 2-9 from 3 scoring 8 points. His game reminds me of Stan. Not a very good shooter. A 6’4” slasher. Can jump better than Stan. Will be a good all around player - driving, assist, rebounds, defense.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cool will try to see Bishop in Vegas and hopefully meet Coach Cox !!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bishop highlights from last weekend.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

K Low wins by 16. Should advance out of pool play to playoff round. Bishop had 10 points on 3-10 FG, 0-6 3PG, 4-4 FT, 2 Reb. He strugged again. Tied for 4th leading scorer on the team for the game.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If the staff truly believes in his abilities, his struggles are not necessarily a bad thing.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:If the staff truly believes in his abilities, his struggles are not necessarily a bad thing.
I was wondering that. The positive is he doesn’t explode (although the NBAPA Top 100 Camp did that). I know the coaches don’t want the teams to advance deep in the playoffs - they want to go watch other players. However, he is showing a weakness in shooting, particularly from the outside. How badly does a player need to struggle for a HC to move another offered recruit ahead? I think Cox believes in Bishop and isn’t going to move off him. They can help him with his shooting when he gets to Kingston :)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If a guy can't shoot, how can you help him? You either have it or you don't
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And that’s why coaching and recruiting is hard. They need to decide if it’s a legit deficit or just a slump/small sample size.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote:
ace wrote:If the staff truly believes in his abilities, his struggles are not necessarily a bad thing.
I was wondering that. The positive is he doesn’t explode (although the NBAPA Top 100 Camp did that). I know the coaches don’t want the teams to advance deep in the playoffs - they want to go watch other players. However, he is showing a weakness in shooting, particularly from the outside. How badly does a player need to struggle for a HC to move another offered recruit ahead? I think Cox believes in Bishop and isn’t going to move off him. They can help him with his shooting when he gets to Kingston :)

Dude, relax. All of these players go hot and cold all summer. Flying around the country playing ball is taxing. There is a legit reason he jumped 20-30 spots in the rankings.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:If a guy can't shoot, how can you help him? You either have it or you don't
Coaches can work with a player on shooting mechanics. They will go over video, give them technics to practice and change their mechanics. Using all that and shooting at the RC - taking 500+ shots per day.

Do you think Terrell improved his outside shot from his Fr year to his Sr year.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

Dude, relax. All of these players go hot and cold all summer. Flying around the country playing ball is taxing. There is a legit reason he jumped 20-30 spots in the rankings.
Dude, I am relaxed. Having a discussion with Ace about coaches’ decisions is interesting. If you read my end point I said Cox isn’t moving off of Bishop. I like Bishop a lot. The next Stan Robinson.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

Dude, I am relaxed. Having a discussion with Ace about coaches’ decisions is interesting. If you read my end point I said Cox isn’t moving off of Bishop. I like Bishop a lot. The next Stan Robinson.
As much as I LOVE Stan, Bishop ceiling is a lot higher. Bishop is more of a scorer than Stan ever was or will be.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The name I always think of when someone says bad shooters can't become good shooters.....Magic Johnson.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree that Bishop has a higher ceiling than where Stan finished but Stan was rated #63 nationally his Sr year and went to Indiana. Stan had the potential he showed during Oregon game. He was a slasher on offense in HS without a good outside shot.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The problem with Stan is Indiana switched his shooting hand his freshman year. I’d say that set his development back a bit, and stunted his confidence a bit. Kind of like a milder Fultz effect.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

K Low wins in first playoff game. Bishop leads the team in scoring with 16 points. 4-7 FG, 2-2 3PG & 6-9 FT. His best game of the Eval Period. The game was a foul fest. K low took 32 FTs only making 18 of them. Onto the next round. Ty is staying in CA.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:The name I always think of when someone says bad shooters can't become good shooters.....Magic Johnson.
The problem is that we tend to remember the outliers, though. We remember Magic, or Kawhi Leonard, or Jason Kidd, but it's way more common that players don't improve their shots.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It's probably better that he struggles a bit now missing shots maybe higher majors won't pursue as much and will focus elsewhere, meanwhile URI always watches all his games stays loyal and Dahmir chooses URI
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

A player will end up where he is meant to end up. If a player decides he would rather go somewhere else for reason 'X' then all the best to him. The culture of our program demands 100% commitment. Anything less than that I would rather them not put on the URI jersey. This is meant for all recruits not for Dahmir.

Fatts is in the gym at 3am in the summer working his tail off. Get on the train or get off. This attitude has always worked well for me when it comes to worrying about who signs with URI and who doesn't. Life is good right now. I am enjoying where we were, where we are, and where we are headed.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bishop to cut his list soon. Good news for Rhody since he took an unofficial last month. Hasn’t visited any other schools since.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody83 wrote:Bishop to cut his list soon. Good news for Rhody since he took an unofficial last month. Hasn’t visited any other schools since.
Where did you see or hear this?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CT Rhody wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Bishop to cut his list soon. Good news for Rhody since he took an unofficial last month. Hasn’t visited any other schools since.
Where did you see or hear this?
It’s on his IG story
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That's good. He originally said he wasn't cutting until the Fall. Good sign.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Who really knows what “soon” means to another.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

On his ig story he also had a computerized character in footnote of him in a rhody uniform saying they are wildin. With crying emojis. Liked that he shared that on his social media.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He took down the IG that listed all those schools. Makes me think he's going to be posting a new list soon. Maybe URI, Seton Hall, K St, Penn St, Xavier, Texas as Final 6.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He also posted two picks with Fatts last night.
0 x