'19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Florida State ---> Syracuse)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 PA C - Naheem McLeod

Unread post by TruePoint »

rhodylaw wrote:This is false - we should recruit a project a year. If they pan out by their senior year you have Andre berry.
Rhody83 wrote:I don’t know any program that contends for the Tournament that recruits a project every year. That would put you at 4-5 projects on your team (at least one will redshirt). That is 5 out of 13 scholarships. You are going to have a few players that you recruit who don’t crack the regular rotation from your non-project players (Preston, Akele). You also don’t use a scholarship up for 4 to 5 years for one year of performance as a plan.
Even if you don't want to use 4 scholarships at a time on "projects," taking smart flyers every few years isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't take bad and hopeless players just to pretend like I'm taking on a project, either. But one area where a team like URI that will generally have their kids for 4 or 5 years can really gain an advantage is if they can become a player development machine - invest in a staff that have track records in skills development - and hone your scouting to recognize raw players that are coachable. Programs at our level can separate from their peers by identifying and exploiting market inefficiencies, but it takes some creativity and focused execution. We might not be able to duplicate the model of blue blood teams that are in the tournament every season.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I don't even understand the discussion here. Anytime a mid major can land an 7 Foot, ESPN Top 100 recruit you take that chance.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He is rated 210+ by the other recruiting services. ESPN is a joke in the effort it puts into their recruiting reviews. They cut so many staff.

I believe it was Blueman who mentioned that Hurley (and Cox) create their own Top 150 each year.

Why do you think URI hasn’t offered Naheem a scholarship but has offered 24 other 2019 recruits?
They don’t see him as a top 150 player.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

You're either insane or a genius, you're now the only guy out here beating the pass on a 4* 7'1" C drum.
No one here is debating what the video's show, we are looking at potential. Guy's 7'1" and has some basic coordination, again if coaching staff think they know how to get this kids motor running then a flier on this kid is a no brainer.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am also in favor of any decision Coach Cox makes on a project. I will make a friendly beer wager with anyone (winner gets a beer at RC) that Naheem doesn’t get an offer from and an official visit to URI.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhody83 wrote:I don’t know any program that contends for the Tournament that recruits a project every year. That would put you at 4-5 projects on your team (at least one will redshirt). That is 5 out of 13 scholarships. You are going to have a few players that you recruit who don’t crack the regular rotation from your non-project players (Preston, Akele). You also don’t use a scholarship up for 4 to 5 years for one year of performance as a plan.
Disagree. Most won't stay anywhere near four years if they see the writing on the wall. The staff should be taking one every year. A kid that has one elite skill/trait that will make him an impact guy if he develops the rest. Mostly because the well rounded guy that has elite traits are in the top 100. While we get some of those, we don't get 13.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So this player is top 100? I've never seen this board so upset about recruiting a top 100 player.
1 x
GO RAMS
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Let me fix that for you...
Rhodymob05 wrote:So this player is top 100? I've never seen this board ONE GUY so upset about recruiting a top 100 player.
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I will agree with Rhody83 on one thing though, not all 7'1" players are worth taking a shot on. But seriously, no harm in kicking the tires on any of them, right?

Glad Naheem came to campus, hopefully he really enjoyed his time and hopefully he develops some basketball skills to go along with his size.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Also important to point out that I don't think anyone is specifically arguing that the staff should offer this guy and if they don't they will have royally screwed up. At least I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying, if the coaching staff does offer him, I'm not going to be mad about it based on a small sample of video. I'll trust them to make the call on whether they think there is enough there to possibly develop him into a game-changing player, which he would definitely be at his size if he developed even basic basketball skills, footwork and athleticism. I'm not against taking a flyer on a player like this once every few recruiting cycles and think there could be a lot of upside in taking calculated risks like that.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

sf2010 wrote:Let me fix that for you...
Rhodymob05 wrote:So this player is top 100? I've never seen this board ONE GUY so upset about recruiting a top 100 player.
I am not upset at all. Just having a discussion. I agree with TP. I have posted several times in this thread that if Coach Cox feels it is worth a scholarship to take Naheem I fully support it.

In response to a few other post. How many players recruited by Hurley/Cox have transferred? Answer is zero. If your point is recruits who don’t get playing time move on - please explain Tertsea and Layssard.
Taking a project every year is not a good move. Every three years is a lot different. I also think the project gamble shoukd come in a year when you have a lot of scholarships available and follow a strong recruiting class. It is tough to recruit the year following a strong recruiting class.

My point is that Naheem is not currently one of Coach Cox’s top 24 targets for 2019.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We already have a 6'10" in project riding the pine, a 6'9" project who saw some token minutes and a 6'7" transfer who couldn't get
onto the floor once early OOC was over except in dire emergencies. Do we really need another "project"? I guess we have to see if the Mikes seize the moment this year or if they remain glued to the bench. Looking at that video McLeod is a 1.5 star at best he is definitely not a 4 star, top 150
player. JH is a 4 star top 100 guy are you seriously saying they are the same??? I may be wrong but to me 4 stars is ready to contribute
at the college level , 5 star is ready to excel. Lets be serious here ESPN!!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Well Ryan Preston wouldn't overlap with McLeod at all. Further, with only Preston and Akele expected to graduate after the upcoming season it could very well be difficult to recruit for the three open spots we'll have, as others have mentioned. It makes sense to get in early and keep in contact in case McLeod puts things together this summer/season or we miss on our top targets
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox has said several times that he likes having the open scholarship for a transfer. Unique advantage if you can take a transfer in January like what happened with KI. I would think Rhody is looking to get two commitments in Nov from two of their top prospects - like Bishop and Walker.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

A 4 star top 100 isn't supposed to be a project so either were missing something or everyone else is blind.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:A 4 star top 100 isn't supposed to be a project so either were missing something or everyone else is blind.
Not every recruiting service has him as a 4 star or top 100. Can we put ESPN aside (they suck).
247 has 3 star #210
Future150 3 star not ranked
Rivals 3 star no ranking
Verbal Commits 4 star not ranked
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Maybe Rhody can pick up Dickens now.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

That would be sweet.
0 x
GO RAMS
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Naheem is playing in an Exposure Event in NJ. His AAU team (PYO) isn’t on the Adidas Circuit. K Low played in the same event on Weds. PYO played yesterday and plays today.

It seems he is a priority for URI.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Sorry, I had wrong event. So much going on ...
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox and Ty watched Naheem today at Evaluate Hoops Summer Icebreaker II in NJ. This is the third game this week of Naheem’s that Ty has been at and second for Coach Cox. It looks like Naheem is the #3 priority behind Bishop (#1) and Long (verbal).
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody83 wrote:Cox and Ty watched Naheem today at Evaluate Hoops Summer Icebreaker II in NJ. This is the third game this week of Naheem’s that Ty has been at and second for Coach Cox. It looks like Naheem is the #3 priority behind Bishop (#1) and Long (verbal).
Do you mean #4 behind Walker?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Cox and Ty watched Naheem today at Evaluate Hoops Summer Icebreaker II in NJ. This is the third game this week of Naheem’s that Ty has been at and second for Coach Cox. It looks like Naheem is the #3 priority behind Bishop (#1) and Long (verbal).
Do you mean #4 behind Walker?
No, they seem to be giving more attention to Naheem than Walker. It could be based on feedback from the two recruits.
Walker is blowing up and announced his transfer to Brewster Academy after his unofficial to Kingston.
I think they would prefer Walker but may have shifted their focus. I don’t know if Cox watched Walker tonight. Only Coach Carroll saw Walker’s first two games and he isn’t the primary recruit for Walker (Cox and Sutton are primary on Walker).
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like Walker may be blowing up lessening our chances due to higher profile teams stepping up

Not a bad consolation prize though if we can land a 7'3 guy who has some skills that sounds like our coaches like ??
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ESPN has this kid top 100, they may not be the best rankings but their top 100 are usually pretty accurate, I would also be excited about this if we were able to land him.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Lost in Rhody showing interest in Naheem this weekend is that URI has not offered Naheem.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Minor technicality ....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox and Boswell went to watch McLeod and Mading on Saturday at Icebreaker II. While there they offered Mading and not McLeod. That is unusual. Unless they have offered McLeod and he hasn’t said anything. URI can’t comment on offers. No little detail is missed by Cox. There is a thought and reason for everything they do recruiting.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramulous wrote:Minor technicality ....
For the record, I always appreciate your subtle humor even if others don’t get it!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For McLeod, it is going to take some skilled evaluation to get a sense of his abilities. Considering his high school (typical suburban public high school) and AAU team, he’s not going to be matching up against the best. PW might play a few Philly teams in their schedule, but McLeod’s size alone could lead to some inflated numbers.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:
Ramulous wrote:Minor technicality ....
For the record, I always appreciate your subtle humor even if others don’t get it!
And he's much funnier on twitter.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Watching him again today.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I really don’t get Rhody’s interest in McLeod. I just watched PYO’s championship game. It is a lower level AAU game. He was being covered by a 6’6” kid who has committed to Binghamton for college and McLeod did very little. He tries to post up but scores his points if he gets O Reb. The next tallest player on the floor was the 6’6” kid (who was the best player for both teams). McLeod wasn’t the best player on his team. Probably 3rd or 4th best. He has a very low level of energy.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

You don't get the interest in Mcleod?!?!?! Come on man. He's 7'3, coordinated and decently athletic and can run the floor without being pushed over. Not like there are 50 other kids that have those qualities. SMH

If, and that's a big if, IF he is as far behind as you are saying he is, then he is being recruited with an eye to the future. He would be coming into a team that has a senior, a junior and a sophomore that play the post. He would be given time to develop and eventually contribute. Roy Hibbert could barely chew bubble gum and walk his senior year of high school. It's quite common for the undersized active post player to out perform the high potential developing, much taller post player. Think Terrence Mack, a dominate player in high school and AAU but struggled at the highest level as those taller post players he use to dominate continued to develop. Size matters, and this kid has it.
5 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I agree with some of both of the last two takes, and when combined into one take it explains why McLeod is being recruited by URI and not Duke. No matter who signs him, they better be a superior motivator. Naheem needs to shift out of neutral and get into gear, considering the natural gifts of extreme height and basic coordination he has, if he can get into 2nd or 3rd gear he would be a big time game changer.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Check out FSU's roster. In the past 4 years they've Kiel Turpin (7"), Michael Ojo (7'1), Boris Bojansky (7'3) and Christ Koumadje (7'4). While none of them have eye popping statistics, they can be huge factors protecting the rim. If you get the running the floor and eating up space, it can be a difference maker. FSU has been to the NCAA tournament in 6 of the last 10 years including an elite 8 run last year.
He's a completely different type of prospect as Harris, but would offer a good contrast in style. If the Coaching staff feel they can develop him, there is no problem using the 13th scholarship on a kid who may need a year or two to develop but has a very high ceiling.
Rhody83 wrote:We agree to disagree. I will bet you this kid doesn’t end up on Nova or FSU.
Obviously the rotation is not going to be 13 players. That isn’t a reason to take a major project with less than a “50/50 chance”.
We had 13 scholarship players last year and how deep was our rotation? It was 7-8 deep. We were short 2 front court players.
There are going to be mistakes in recruiting. URI doesn’t need to take a player that is a major project.
There are 3 open spots. Cox has taked about using one on a traditional tramsfer (like KI and Stan).
The other two scholarships should be used on players that are at a D1 talent level already like Bishop, Walker, Bouknight, Fernandes, Somerville, Coulibaly etc.

You need at least two solid recruits in each class to build a program. EC and Hass, JT and Jarvis, missed a year, Jeff and Cyril, only Fatts. The 19 class is a tough recruit for URI because of the potential of the 4 from the 18 class. The missed year with Akele and Thompson hurts Rhody this year.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He was playing in a 2nd level tournament. His team won the tournament. He was being covered (and handled) by a player he has 8 inches over. He had more than 8 inches on anyone else on the floor. There were 26 players who made First & Second Team All Tournament. He was not one of them. He is a project. I have watched several of his games now. Let me know your thoughts when you watch a few complete games. I have no idea how he will develop in the next two-three years. He could be very good. Who knows. Using one of three scholarships on him is a risk that I don’t think Rhody should take. Right now he has one thing going for him - his height.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:He was playing in a 2nd level tournament. His team won the tournament. He was being covered (and handled) by a player he has 8 inches over. He had more than 8 inches on anyone else on the floor. There were 26 players who made First & Second Team All Tournament. He was not one of them. He is a project. I have watched several of his games now. Let me know your thoughts when you watch a few complete games. I have no idea how he will develop in the next two-three years. He could be very good. Who knows. Using one of three scholarships on him is a risk that I don’t think Rhody should take. Right now he has one thing going for him - his height.
If we didn’t already have Lyssard and Tertsea who are two projects that we are still waiting to pain out I would agree this would be a risk. Could he reclassify for 2020 and Prep a year to further develop before stepping on campus?
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Lots of ways to make it work.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm only interested if Tertsea leaves after this year.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Blurry video, I know, but something to consider. He moves really well.
Shoots with either hand and has touch.
Give him a year to fill out, and you may have a steal.

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kid looks pretty athletic for a guy his size. I hope we get him
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Another bench add. We will have the tallest bench that does not play in D1.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote:Another bench add. We will have the tallest bench that does not play in D1.
At that height and athletism, this kid will get plenty ofminiutes his freshmen year. This ain't your older brothers WIll Martel.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with that I think this kid has solid potential
Should be way better than a Tertsea or Laysard who haven't even sniffed the floor
0 x