2018-2019 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2018-2019 Rotation

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Am I the only one whos still wondering why Preston didn't play more? I keep seeing that block he had verses Seton Hall. I hope he plays because hes athletic as hell.
0 x
GO RAMS
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Preston got in Dan's dog house and never got out. Probably played zone defense most of his career and
didn't pick up Dan's defensive concepts. Plus wasn't he was prone to fouling the small amount of time he was in?
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Ryan played 80 minutes in the first nine games, then only 20 the rest of the season.

It could be with six guards the plan was to play mostly one big.....Cyril, Andre and Nicola rotated thru the front line.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Stan's emergence probably also had something to do with it.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

and the early injury to Cyril.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

There were points where we would go with Akele against certain bigs late in the year where I felt Preston would have faired better especially defensively.

Another thing about Preston is that it didn't seem like he was disinterested much during the games. He was usually pretty engaged with what was going on and was always celebrating when something good happened. He surely wanted to play, but he seemed to care about the teams success as much as anyone.
I'm sure he'll be working hard this summer.

We've got plenty of Rhody vets on the frontline to provide Dana and Jermaine some resistance. Which ought to be good for them. They're going to have to earn it against guys who have been here a while and are desperate for playing time. That'll toughen up everybody and whoever gets to play will have earned the right to do so.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH didn't trust Preston and once he was out of the rotation he had no shot of getting key minutes

I do like his athleticism and am hoping he cracks the rotation for up to 15 minutes a game
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Anyone else spit out their afternoon rum & Coke seeing that IG video pic posted by Cyril showing him wielding an axe with one hand while wearing flip flops on his feet????

C'mon man... don't do stuff like that!
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Can’t wait to see this run and gun style offense. To have two major facilitators in the backcourt should be fun to watch. That fast break in the 2nd half against Richmond where the ball never touches the floor still gets me amped.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

My early season projection based on what I was projecting coming into the season and a small bit of inside info potentially. By small bit I do mean REALLY small so don’t take this for anymore than ones mans estimate.

Starters:
Dowtin
Fatts
Harris
Langevine
Open

Contributors:
Tate
Robinson
Martin
Akele
Omar

Trying to earn minutes:
Preston
Lyssard
Tertsea
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

CT Rhody wrote:My early season projection based on what I was projecting coming into the season and a small bit of inside info potentially. By small bit I do mean REALLY small so don’t take this for anymore than ones mans estimate.

Starters:
Dowtin
Fatts
Harris
Langevine
Open

Contributors:
Tate
Robinson
Martin
Akele
Omar

Trying to earn minutes:
Preston
Lyssard
Tertsea
Do you mean Thompson? Not Robinson
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

wpbrown8267 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:My early season projection based on what I was projecting coming into the season and a small bit of inside info potentially. By small bit I do mean REALLY small so don’t take this for anymore than ones mans estimate.

Starters:
Dowtin
Fatts
Harris
Langevine
Open

Contributors:
Tate
Robinson
Martin
Akele
Omar

Trying to earn minutes:
Preston
Lyssard
Tertsea
Yes Thompson, I secretly miss Robinson already so excuse the error.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

CT Rhody wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:

Starters:
Dowtin
Fatts
Harris
Langevine
Open

Contributors:
Tate
Robinson
Martin
Akele
Omar

Trying to earn minutes:
Preston
Lyssard
Tertsea
Yes Thompson, I secretly miss Robinson already so excuse the error.
Gotcha

Although having Stan the man for one more year would be awesome
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The college basketball writer for the Richmond Times Dispatch apparently does not think much of URI roster and coaching staff. Picks the team for 10th in the A-10 this upcoming season:

Old-school approach may lead to A-10 climb for GMU: a summer projection of league teams
BY JOHN O'CONNOR Richmond Times-Dispatch

http://www.richmond.com/sports/old-scho ... user-share

A-10 Predictions
1. SLU
2. GMU
3. SJU
4. Davidson
5. UMass
6. UR
7. VCU
8. Dayton
9. SBU
10. URI
11. Duquesne
12. GW
13. LaSalle
14. Fordham
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

What a joke. I'm not buying into UMass, though their placement is not indefensible. Having Richmond, St. Bonaventure, and especially Dayton ahead of us is just simply a joke and shows this guy has no clue.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

At least we have Jeff Dowtin who is "all conference caliber". You know one of the most efficient point guards in the country last year. Does he know that Fatts is still on this roster? No mention of him. Ask Reggie Miller who is favorite player on Rhode Island is.

How about our freshman class coming? It's the best in the conference and our lowest rated recruit just dropped 30 on Rozier.....Is this guy freaking serious??

I know we will be young and we will have growing pains, but do a little homework before you rank this team 10th.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Put it on the bulletin board.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

steveystuds06 wrote:At least we have Jeff Dowtin who is "all conference caliber". You know one of the most efficient point guards in the country last year. Does he know that Fatts is still on this roster? No mention of him. Ask Reggie Miller who is favorite player on Rhode Island is.

How about our freshman class coming? It's the best in the conference and our lowest rated recruit just dropped 30 on Rozier.....Is this guy freaking serious??

I know we will be young and we will have growing pains, but do a little homework before you rank this team 10th.
He's the Lil Kevie of Richmond. To TP's post, put it on the bulletin board, keep adding to the chip on their shoulders
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

They don't respect us very much over in Richmond.
Even though the Keaney blue Rams have risen to the top of the heirarchy and beat the "flagship" program in the A-10 four times in a row.
It's not going to be easy to knock off the champs.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Can’t even take that article seriously. 10th in a weak A-10? Really? That guy is off his rocker. At min it’s a top half team and I think a top 3-4 seed come A-10 tourney time.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

10th place is rediculous, bulletin board material indeed
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I can kind of see it if you don't really pay close attention and the only thing you know about URI is that they lost 5 starters/contributors to graduation and their head coach took another job. But, since this guy ostensibly gets paid to write about this stuff, that should not be the extent of his knowledge on this subject or any subject that he is writing about in exchange for a paycheck.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

What a moron.
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m pumping the brakes a little on Harris (not long term, just year 1), but 10th still seems ridiculous. A healthy Langevine- and here’s to hoping he stays that way, it’s been a struggle- makes up for a lot. Dowtin will be a star, Fatts will be outstanding (and occasionally frustrating), and the young guys have to get up to speed quickly. Juniors on this team do not know what it’s like to play a season that doesn’t end in a NCAA tournament appearance. What a nice change and experience to build on. If Langevine stays healthy and at least two of the freshmen emerge, they’re minimally a top half of the conference team, IMO.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:I’m pumping the brakes a little on Harris (not long term, just year 1), but 10th still seems ridiculous. A healthy Langevine- and here’s to hoping he stays that way, it’s been a struggle- makes up for a lot. Dowtin will be a star, Fatts will be outstanding (and occasionally frustrating), and the young guys have to get up to speed quickly. Juniors on this team do not know what it’s like to play a season that doesn’t end in a NCAA tournament appearance. What a nice change and experience to build on. If Langevine stays healthy and at least two of the freshmen emerge, they’re minimally a top half of the conference team, IMO.
Early insider reports from one individual so take it for what it’s worth has Harris as the teams best big man already. I would expect a a significant impact from Harris mixed in with some fresh inexperience up and down moments.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've said it before. I think Thompson is going to get a lot more time than most people think.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I would expect Harris to have a season very similar to Nate Watson at PC last year. Similarly ranked guys, similarly sized guys - Watson a bit wider, Harris with more perimeter skills. But in short, Watson showed moments of brilliance mixed in with moments of head scratching play. Freshman big men will always struggle with facing off against grown men bigger and stronger than them, many for the first time in their career. Something like 7-8ppg and a handful of rebounds is prob a safe expectation.

Agree with Ace, need Langevine to have a big junior seasons. Also need someone from the group of Akele, Thompson, Layssard, Tertsea, Preston to emerge. We can’t have to rely on our freshmen for big minutes and big buckets if we want to max out the season. They have to be spark plugs, not the engine. Freshmen be Freshmen.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think a big difference for Harris compared to Watson will be the schedule once he gets to conference play. I think the Big East is a little overrated as a league, but they will definitely offer some stiffer tests than most A-10 programs, especially in the front court. Of course, I also expect Langevine to be URI's best big man next year. The key to whether Rhody contends for the postseason or not will be whether or not Cyril is an all-A10 caliber player.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I think the key variable to whether URI ends up at the top of the conference this year is Fatts. We all know and love to watch the kid play. But the big question is, will he turn into the floor general that URI needs once Dowtin focuses more on being a scoring 2? If Dowtin and Fatts play well off one another, the 3-4-5 spots will benefit greatly. You'll need Dowtin and Fatts to average ~30 bps and ~10 assists collectively and take over alpha roles from JT and EC. I think Harris will do well this year @ 10-12 pts/game. Langevine is a defensive presence and should give you 8-10 pts/game and solid rebounding numbers. I'm hoping Tate's game translates similar to Langevine. Martin and Omar look like they can score which will help.

But if order to be successful in 2019, you need Fatts to transition quickly from spark plug, to the guy who steers the ship. I think he can. He proved it in high school, now he's got to progress on a bigger stage..
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ace wrote:I’m pumping the brakes a little on Harris (not long term, just year 1), but 10th still seems ridiculous. A healthy Langevine- and here’s to hoping he stays that way, it’s been a struggle- makes up for a lot. Dowtin will be a star, Fatts will be outstanding (and occasionally frustrating), and the young guys have to get up to speed quickly. Juniors on this team do not know what it’s like to play a season that doesn’t end in a NCAA tournament appearance. What a nice change and experience to build on. If Langevine stays healthy and at least two of the freshmen emerge, they’re minimally a top half of the conference team, IMO.
Fatts will score 30 points at least once and end up in top 10 in A10 scoring. His hard work will mean big jump.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Hard work + talent + opportunity = $$$$$$
0 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Fatts will score 30 points at least once and end up in top 10 in A10 scoring. His hard work will mean big jump.
I wouldn't be surprised if Fatts goes off for 30 but if he ends up top 10 in scoring, we probably won't end being very good. It means he would roughly be on par with what JT did last year averaging around 17ppg. If that's the case, he is probably taking too many shots, given he only shoots 35%. Yes, his fg percentage should improve, but I would be surprised if he shoots over 40%. I suspect the scoring will be more balanced with 3-4 guys averaging 10+.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts will be driving to the basket more so his FG % will go up. His playing time is going to increase significantly. I think his FG % was low last year because he sat for major stretches and came in cold. He avg 7.0 ppg last year playing 18 minutes per game. I expect Fatts and Jeff to avg 32 mins/game. If he kept the same points/min his avg would go to 12.4 ppg. He shot 81% FT. That shows he can shoot. He FG % should be 40+%. I think he will avg 15-17 ppg.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I can definitely see Fatts avg at least 15
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

If Fatts averages 30-32 minutes per game he will get 14-15 points per game. Take it to the bank.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox has mentioned that Jeff and Fatts will be on the floor a lot. JT and Jeff both averaged 33 mins/game last year.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

With Fatts' in your face defense I would be surprised if he averaged more than 32 minutes a game. If Cox backs off the full court pressure defense of last year Fatts could see a little more playing time.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I definitely want to see JD getting 35 minutes per game that guy needs to be on the floor. Fatts I can see getting about 32 mpg
0 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

Rhody83 wrote:Fatts will be driving to the basket more so his FG % will go up. His playing time is going to increase significantly. I think his FG % was low last year because he sat for major stretches and came in cold. He avg 7.0 ppg last year playing 18 minutes per game. I expect Fatts and Jeff to avg 32 mins/game. If he kept the same points/min his avg would go to 12.4 ppg. He shot 81% FT. That shows he can shoot. He FG % should be 40+%. I think he will avg 15-17 ppg.

I will take the under on that.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jeff, Fatts and Langevine will anchor this team with NCAAT experience. We have a bench full of guys that have been sitting for awhile. If they can step up, we should have a great season. The freshman are talented, but we know how that goes.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Guys sit on the bench for one of two reasons- they’re good but blocked by better talent or they’re not very good. My worry would be this team’s bench guys (Thompson aside) are mostly the second, which is why I think the freshmen will ultimately determine how far the team goes.
4 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ace wrote:Guys sit on the bench for one of two reasons- they’re good but blocked by better talent or they’re not very good. My worry would be this team’s bench guys (Thompson aside) are mostly the second, which is why I think the freshmen will ultimately determine how far the team goes.
You forgot #3

Hurley only liked to play guards because he was a guard so he had something against frontcourt players, therefore he didn't like to recruit them and didn't like to play the ones he had who were obviously much better than he thought they were.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I hope this is sarcasm
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I was think of Hass, KI, Cyril, Berry, TJ, Gil etc.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

bigappleram wrote:I hope this is sarcasm
Yes - I was summarizing and combining some common complaints

From now on I will make all sarcastic comments in Comic Sans
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:
ace wrote:Guys sit on the bench for one of two reasons- they’re good but blocked by better talent or they’re not very good. My worry would be this team’s bench guys (Thompson aside) are mostly the second, which is why I think the freshmen will ultimately determine how far the team goes.
You forgot #3

Hurley only liked to play guards because he was a guard so he had something against frontcourt players, therefore he didn't like to recruit them and didn't like to play the ones he had who were obviously much better than he thought they were.
And also that time when first it was a problem ‘cause every player was from Jersey and then, rather confusingly, shortly after when it was a problem that they didn’t have enough guys from Jersey.

I’m in the market for a new favorite player. Fatts is the obvious answer but maybe the other PA guy instead? Not sure about him yet. Maybe I go all in on Christion.

And completely off-topic, it’s Stan Robinson’s birthday today, so let’s take a minute to appreciate his unselfishness and overall contributions last year and his block against Davidson from the season before. HBD Stan!!
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts playing the PG and Jeff playing off the ball more. Here is Jeff in HS as the 2G. Should see a lot more of this during next season.
The two of them are interchangeable as facilitators and scorers.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Fatts playing the PG and Jeff playing off the ball more. Here is Jeff in HS as the 2G. Should see a lot more of this during next season.
The two of them are interchangeable as facilitators and scorers.

Jeff was 3rd in the country in assist/turnover ratio. I want the ball in his hands as much as possible, especially in a half court set. I like the ball in Fatts hands when they're out on the break to use his explosiveness.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'm liking :
Jeff -PG
Fatts- SG
Thompson-SF
Harris-PF
Langevine-C

Bench-Tate-Preston-Silverio-Layssard (or Tertsea)
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:I'm liking :
Jeff -PG
Fatts- SG
Thompson-SF
Harris-PF
Langevine-C

Bench-Tate-Preston-Silverio-Layssard (or Tertsea)
You forgot Martin.
0 x