All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodekill wrote:do you really believe that Miller did not do what he did and say what he said without Calhoun's approval ? He is his lap dog and is where he is now and was at UConn only because of Calhoun. This is a dirty story that is just now beginning to see the light of day.... in the end there may be a lot of dirt that comes out of this concerning Calhoun and Auriema when Ollie starts to tell what he knows …. I am enjoying all of this actually.
I'm totally enjoying it, and I have no doubt at all that whatever Miller says, goes through the filter of Calhoun. Now Miller is his asst at St. Joe's. Which just adds another awesome layer. Even Calhoun, who is directing Miller's ratsmanship (I'm coining that term), will have to eventually look at Miller and see what a manipulatable, weasely dude he is....and how long can he stand looking at him?

It just keeps getting better:

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

popcorn anyone?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote:
RF1 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Well I think the argument will come down to what justifies "just cause?"
Per his contract, "just cause" includes "a violation by the coach of any law, rule, regulation, policy, bylaw, or official interpretation of the University, the conference, or the NCAA" and also "a violation by a member of the basketball coaching staff, or any other person under the coaches supervision or direction, including student-athletes in it's basketball program, that the coach knew as a violation, and takes no steps to address, correct, and report the violation within a reasonable period of time which under no circumstances shall be longer than ten (10) business days."
So if there were any violations, the contract clearly states that the coach will only receive any additional money that they had earned as of their date of termination.
To me I read all of that and I say, even if a violation is extremely small, it's still a violation that can be used to terminate the contract.
If that is the case, it was in Ollie's best interest to settle so he at least gets something, which is better than nothing.
That's not to say that the university still doesn't look petty, but Ollie has to make sure to cover his own ass.

The problem with your reasoning is that this clause was not enforced against their other coaches that had transgressions.
The clause was not in Calhoun’s contract. UCONN learned a lessoon from that and strengthened their position on all coaches contracts going forward. The Calhoun situation got testy when he was suspended. They forced him to retire after the season. He didn’t want to retire.

You are wrong. This is and has been a standard provision in most coaching contracts. Calhoun's contract had similar verbage regbarding just cause termination:

Jim Calhoun UConn Contract Link:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/auto_pdf/p_ ... unContract
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

It's starting to look like maybe Dan's "Dream Job" could turn into a real nightmare!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I haven’t compared the clause above to Ollie’s contract but I remember the Courant coverage when UCONN was trying to get ride of Calhoun due to the NCAA violations. The article stated they couldn’t because of the clause in Calhoun’s contract. The clause above does state “that the Coach knew as a violation”. That can be interpreted a couple of ways. The violations that got UCONN in trouble in 2012 was phone calls made by an Ast Coach to recruits during a no contact period. Calhoun’s position was that he was not aware the calls had happened. He was going to fight UCONN if they fired him. That would’ve been a mess. They forced him to retire at the end of that year and agreed to the paid consulting job.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The language is similar but it's separated differently.
Ollie's contract separates the the idea of violations by the coach from the section about self-reporting and knowledge by using the numbers #1 and #2 for both parts.
Calhoun's verbiage is a run-on by comparison -- The way it's written, it looks as if they whole idea of "just cause" is based on knowledge.
The words look mostly the same but they are written differently.
A contract lawyer could definitely read into it better, but it looks different to me.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:The language is similar but it's separated differently.
Ollie's contract separates the the idea of violations by the coach from the section about self-reporting and knowledge by using the numbers #1 and #2 for both parts.
Calhoun's verbiage is a run-on by comparison -- The way it's written, it looks as if they whole idea of "just cause" is based on knowledge.
The words look mostly the same but they are written differently.
A contract lawyer could definitely read into it better, but it looks different to me.
The position Calhoun took was that he needed to know of the violation in order for him to be terminated for cause. He said the Ast Coach & DBO acted on their own. Both the Ast (Pat Sellerrs) & DBO were fired. I think UCONN cleaned that language up in Ollie’s contract. Also Ollie clearly knew about the phone call he made to Ray Allen, shooting baskets with the recruit at UCONN’s practice facility and coordinating current players traveling to Atlanta to train with his friend in the summer took place.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

79RhodyFan wrote:It's starting to look like maybe Dan's "Dream Job" could turn into a real nightmare!
I think Dan's going to be just fine...his contract, I believe, accounts for extensions if they're sanctioned, etc.
He kept the players they had, am pretty sure he'll be able to recruit...

That's part of why I think this will be entertaining to watch...I believe it likely Dan's team will outperform the stench surrounding the school/program...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want this to get very very ugly !!!!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:I want this to get very very ugly !!!!!

We can only hope so.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Can we get Tom Moore to go down too? He was charged with sleaziness and weaselness a few years ago when he was Calhoun's assistant, but it was never proven. I'd love to see him go down this time.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ Tom Moore...that's an excellent bring-up when the topic is sleazy, soap opera stuff.
Unfortunately, since he's on DH staff...looks like he didn't 'get any on him', so he's probably in the clear...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Glen Miller has really changed from his days at Brown. Has not aged well.
Former UConn Assistant Coach Glen Miller
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sleazy UConn assistants Tommy Moore and Glen Miller
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

reef wrote:Sleazy UConn assistants Tommy Moore and Glen Miller
For those anti-Tom Moore types, I think I would be careful with the call outs about his integrity...
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
For those anti-Tom Moore types, I think I would be careful with the call outs about his integrity...
And why is that?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NJRhodyFan wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
And why is that?
Because if the claim is that he unethical, lacks integrity, shady, a cheat, or insert any other word that could possibly be used to describe him, he did spend 1 year at URI. Who knows what was going on. I'm not implying anything did, but that's why I wouldn't keep throwing mud around like that.

And I say this from experience, a few years back, Keno Davis hired a sketchy dude from BABC named Chris Driscoll. Fortunately, Driscoll was never able to do any real damage while he was at PC, but it could have gotten really messy if he had lasted another year or been the coach during a few certain players senior seasons.

That's why I'm always weary of people calling out former coaches. If they really are a bad guy and doing shady things, it typically doesn't disappear if they are at a school with a "good" coach.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
And why is that?
Because if the claim is that he unethical, lacks integrity, shady, a cheat, or insert any other word that could possibly be used to describe him, he did spend 1 year at URI. Who knows what was going on. I'm not implying anything did, but that's why I wouldn't keep throwing mud around like that.

And I say this from experience, a few years back, Keno Davis hired a sketchy dude from BABC named Chris Driscoll. Fortunately, Driscoll was never able to do any real damage while he was at PC, but it could have gotten really messy if he had lasted another year or been the coach during a few certain players senior seasons.

That's why I'm always weary of people calling out former coaches. If they really are a bad guy and doing shady things, it typically doesn't disappear if they are at a school with a "good" coach.
Calhoun had Moore here for one reason.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I remember Danny Griffin from when he played one season here for Skinner.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-ba ... 24652.html
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:
And why is that?

And do you really believe that 1) Hurley would have even been a candidate for UCONN had this season blown up on him? or 2) Hurley allowed Moore to sit around for one year and do nothing or have a minimal role? Moore is still trying to pad his resume to make a run at being a D1 coach again, that's his goal. He needs to boost his profile as much as possible ...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

And do you really believe that 1) Hurley would have even been a candidate for UCONN had this season blown up on him? or 2) Hurley allowed Moore to sit around for one year and do nothing or have a minimal role?
1) Would depend on the circumstances + Moore's eval + Calhoun's take on how it went down
2) No one ever said Moore wasn't useful from a practical perspective... he just happened to be doing double duty here
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2) No one ever said Moore wasn't useful from a practical perspective... he just happened to be doing double duty here
I don't disagree with that -- My premise was more under the opinion I was gathering from others that Moore, like Miller, was seen as a "dirty" coach under the old Calhoun regime, and if he was doing dirty things for Calhoun, he runs the risk of doing dirty things wherever he goes. The higher the level of basketball, the higher the likelihood of dirty activity.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not sure either one is a dirty 'coach' (I have no way of knowing, and not aware of any 'legal' or 'rules' allegations against either).
It just seems that Miller's rat act - and maybe he didn't have a choice - would be tough to swallow and make him hard to hire.
Moore...his sneaky/mole ways...might actually make it easier for him to get/keep jobs.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Not sure either one is a dirty 'coach' (I have no way of knowing, and not aware of any 'legal' or 'rules' allegations against either).
It just seems that Miller's rat act - and maybe he didn't have a choice - would be tough to swallow and make him hard to hire.
Moore...his sneaky/mole ways...might actually make it easier for him to get/keep jobs.
https://www.theuconnblog.com/2010/5/28/ ... -tom-moore
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:
And why is that?

I think we need to get rid of this notion. Assuming there is a conspiracy theory to Moore's presence on staff, what is more likely, that Calhoun planted Moore here or that Hurley hired Moore to get on the good sign of Calhoun in the event the UConn job opened up? Seems to me it's far more likely the conspiracy would be on Hurley's end to suck up
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Not sure either one is a dirty 'coach' (I have no way of knowing, and not aware of any 'legal' or 'rules' allegations against either).
He was never found guilty, but as they say, where's there's smoke....https://www.theuconnblog.com/2010/5/28/ ... -tom-moore
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

I think we need to get rid of this notion. Assuming there is a conspiracy theory to Moore's presence on staff, what is more likely, that Calhoun planted Moore here or that Hurley hired Moore to get on the good sign of Calhoun in the event the UConn job opened up? Seems to me it's far more likely the conspiracy would be on Hurley's end to suck up
So, you think Calhoun, who was Moore's boss for 13 years, had zero conversations with Dan about Moore's hiring. Really?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
He was never found guilty, but as they say, where's there's smoke....https://www.theuconnblog.com/2010/5/28/ ... -tom-moore
Interesting. Dated...but definitely interesting...
I still think...put Moore and Miller out on the open market to find jobs, and force me to wager on the success of either, I'd take Moore w/o hesitation. And, I do like the other poster's idea that DH might have hired Moore to connect himself as well...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:
https://www.theuconnblog.com/2010/5/28/ ... -tom-moore
So Tom Moore has a long history as not just a weasel, but a snitch as well. I’m shocked, personally. I mean who could have guessed that such a greasy guy would flip on his people to save his sorry butt.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Calhoun had Moore here for one reason.
So, you think Calhoun, who was Moore's boss for 13 years, had zero conversations with Dan about Moore's hiring. Really?
No, I'm sure Calhoun did talk to Dan about Moore, but I don't think he did it thinking it would make Dan more likely to go to UConn, he did it to get one of his guys who was just fired into a good spot. I wouldn't be surprised if Dan did it thinking it would help him if and when UConn opened up
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
No, I'm sure Calhoun did talk to Dan about Moore, but I don't think he did it thinking it would make Dan more likely to go to UConn, he did it to get one of his guys who was just fired into a good spot. I wouldn't be surprised if Dan did it thinking it would help him if and when UConn opened up[/quote
None of us know for sure what was said in any of those conversations, but knowing Calhoun's character, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if his motive was to get Dan to UConn.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

They are all people that we used to know.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:They are all people that we used to know.....
...and will be interesting to follow...
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Agreed NYGF_208.....I am on record as wishing that UConn is always the second best college men's bball team in New England every year....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I hope they're the 2nd worst every year, and I felt that way long before Dan went there.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I hope URI is the best...don't really care where/how the others shake out...
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Screw Hurley, Moore, Miller, Calhoun and Ollie, and I hope the Leg-humpers go 0-30. Piss on all of them.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I do confess I want any news of potential Ollie retaliation to go straight into my veins: https://deadspin.com/kevin-ollies-fight ... 1827188433

He is right, typically universities are super-protective of matters under investigation or heavily redact FIA documents when a sensitive item. UConn was all too eager to release the $30k payment claim against Ollie as part of the transcripts, although it appears even they thought there wasn't truth to the story because it wasn't listed as a reason for termination. Getting juicy in Storrs...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

I still struggle to understand why Hurley signed up to be a part of this mess with all the good things he had going at URI. I know we’re not perfect and I’m sure he had reason to complain, but look at all the crap he’s in the middle of now. It’s also pretty clear how high the expectations in Storrs are, and look how you get treated if you underperform, even if you’re an Alum and won a national championship a few years prior.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Because UConn was his dream job and we were just a stepping stone to get him there
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Justns11 wrote: It’s also pretty clear how high the expectations in Storrs are, and look how you get treated if you underperform, even if you’re an Alum and won a national championship a few years prior.
All of this other nonsense aside, Ollie was basically tanking the UCONN program. He took over a team that was not any of his players, rode them to a National Championship, but couldn't do anything other than that. He could not manage the egos in his locker room, as evidenced by the enormous number of transfers out of his program. After the 2017 season, Ollie lost 3 players to transfer and had a recruit decommit. He could not handle the in-game coaching, as he did bring in a ton of talent that he really didn't get that much out of. The UCONN basketball program was becoming a run-away train that Ollie could literally do nothing with.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Justns11 wrote: It’s also pretty clear how high the expectations in Storrs are, and look how you get treated if you underperform, even if you’re an Alum and won a national championship a few years prior.
All of this other nonsense aside, Ollie was basically tanking the UCONN program. He took over a team that was not any of his players, rode them to a National Championship, but couldn't do anything other than that. He could not manage the egos in his locker room, as evidenced by the enormous number of transfers out of his program. After the 2017 season, Ollie lost 3 players to transfer and had a recruit decommit. He could not handle the in-game coaching, as he did bring in a ton of talent that he really didn't get that much out of. The UCONN basketball program was becoming a run-away train that Ollie could literally do nothing with.

I don't think most are questioning the firing of Kevin Ollie. Fire him, pay him, and move on is a fairly normal process in college basketball. Digging for dirt, not paying what was owed, and publicly smearing a former alum and championship coach is unusual. A school must be a real cesspool for all that. Would not appear to exactly be a great work environment.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The State of Connecticut has serious financial problems as does the Uconn Athletic Department as the annual payments from the Big East have ended. They recently had to pay the fired football coach $5,000,000 and the football program is hurting financially as attendance at their games is way off. The travel expenses since joining the AAC must be outrageous. Simply put the school could not afford to pay Ollie so they had to revert to this type of strategy to try and avoid paying him what was left on his contract.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Credit where credit is due for the 2014 run they made, but St Joe's had them beat in Round 1 before they completely gifted the game to UConn in the final minute. A first round exit there and Ollie is fired earlier and we still may have Dan as head coach.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The lesson, as always, is fuck St. Joe's!
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Watch out AAC
Attachments
56E1E09F-D206-45EC-BF78-A8052826556F.jpeg
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The question is will Omar outplay Adams as a frosh ??
0 x