2018-19 Current Season schedule discussion (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Re: 2018-19 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I'm bitter and po'd like everyone else, so what I'm hoping happens is Nevada does what they are expected to do this year but then gets beat by a #14 seed in the first round, that would be bitter sweet!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What was Nevada's best win last season? Screw them.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Nevada can suck our collective Keaney blue balls.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nevada made a business decision and didn't break any rules or contracts. As previously mentioned, given the frequency, not something you can hedge against and trying to do so might jeopardize getting a game in the first place. Swapping roles with Nevada...if we're them, have to admit, the buyout makes sense...going to hurt some feelings, but...makes sense, and if we were Nevada fans, we'd likely be all for it. Life goes on...

I'm glad they have the max # of games scheduled...but the home schedule of 14 games...just seems light...although, will probably get to PC, UMass, HC and maybe a Philly game. I just hope they don't jack up the cost of singles for the sake of comparison to season tix. That's likely to price some folks out, and that would be a drag...
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Why can't we hedge exactly? You need to get fair value no matter how the contract is done. Sending a top 25 team two thirds of the way across the country for $50k is not fair value. Kevin McNamara said an educated guess was the buyout was $75K, the Nevada writer said industry standard is $100k. We didn't get fair value. If a program refuses a contract at fair market rates maybe that is a good sign that they don't plan to honor it and you should look for a different deal.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It would actually be prudent now to hedge higher going forward. Especially if we are on the road for the front end. We can just point to Nevada and say this is why the buyout is so high. Got to leverage this.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Of the 50k how much was spent on the trip out to Nevada?
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

theblueram wrote:What was Nevada's best win last season? Screw them.
I'm going to say their win against us in the VERY EARLY part of the season (11/13) was their best win.

Not counting the absolute gag job by Cincy in the ncaa tournament (Cincy blowing a 22-point deficit in the final 11 minutes of the game)
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thinking positive I hope Thorr uses the $50k to either schedule a good home game next year or on a few charter flights for away games this year.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Davidson also started a H&H series with Nevada last season. The return game will however be put off a year which has been known for some time. The buyout in that contract was 100k. That is why Nevada dumped URI and made accommodations with Davidson. I still don't fault URI as this type of thing rarely happens. Rhody needs however to learn from this experience and act accordingly when setting up new series contracts.

This, while within the terms of the contract, was still a sleazy move on the part of Nevada and not within the spirit of the original agreement. They screwed URI over without a second thought of its perspective. I have seen internet posts where some of their fans are quite happy with what transpired. They basically got a cheap 50k buy games last year versus a top 20 RPI team (that had to traveled across the entire country) and got a resume building win boost. I would have thought that a team that faced similar scheduling issues would have some empathy and not take such a low action. Karma however can sometimes be a bitch. I wish nothing but the worst for Nevada this upcoming season. Nothing would make me happier than seeing Musselman and team on tv on Selection Sunday next year watching the brackets announced without their name anywhere.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Schedule is now complete. In my view, the Athletic Department must now move onto other tasks. One of these should be trying to once again get a local TV partner (such as Cox, MyRITV, or MeTV). Hurley and the talent of the last few years are gone. URI is therefore realistically not going to be getting as many national tv games as we saw the last few years. We will therefore need to find ways to get on tv more. This ESPN+ deal the A-10 now has does not seem to be the answer. As far as I can tell, it is just a platform to deliver games to paid internet subscribers. ESPN will not be producing these games. They will just be airing the production content provided them. While the stream may be more dependable that previous, it will still be the low quality productions with few cameras and little to no graphics that we have seen before.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Nevada is rightfully taking a PR hit. Even some of their own fans think it is a low move.

Reddit Link:

Murray Twitter Link (check out replies):
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:Nevada is rightfully taking a PR hit. Even some of their own fans think it is a low move.

Reddit Link:

Murray Twitter Link (check out replies):
Wouldn't call that a 'shot'...seems to be just a statement of fact...
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bunch of wussies.
Last edited by theblueram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

totally fucking weak!! and Nevada fans claiming it wouldn't be a competitive game are full of shit, we would give them hell at home and they can fucking SUCK IT!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Happy to hear about Middle Tenn and Harvard coming to Ryan. Those games should help out RPI

As far as Nevada goes hope they fall on their faces this year
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bunch of Marys...St. Mary’s.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Gotta love the Nevada fans saying we are in full rebuild mode. With three guys returning with NCAAT experience, two of them starters and a top 30 recruiting class coming in. Plus a bench full of bigs who have been developing for two or three years. Gonna be interesting. But our schedule is not designed for an at large, that's for sure.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Why can't we hedge exactly? You need to get fair value no matter how the contract is done. Sending a top 25 team two thirds of the way across the country for $50k is not fair value. Kevin McNamara said an educated guess was the buyout was $75K, the Nevada writer said industry standard is $100k. We didn't get fair value. If a program refuses a contract at fair market rates maybe that is a good sign that they don't plan to honor it and you should look for a different deal.
You're kind of making two different arguments here. If it is true that $50k is shy of the going rate for these buyouts, then that is a fair criticism of URI. I'd even agree with blueram that I wouldn't let a good crisis go to waste here and I would start citing this in future negotiations to extract a larger buyout where we would travel first. But, let's just say for the sake of argument that $50k is the going rate - then in that case being super aggressive about demanding an above-market buyout may make it harder to finalize the types of agreements. Why would I guarantee URI above-market when I could sign a similar deal with a similar team at a market rate? Even if I'm not planning to back out, if someone tries hard-balling me then I'll go elsewhere out of principle. So if you have no reason to suspect that the other team would back out, it isn't hard to understand why you wouldn't push that.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I hope Nevada gets a 10 seed and the committee is telling them they should have played a tougher OOC schedule. I don’t blame Rhody for expecting the return game from Nevada, midmajors (especially one like Nevada with little to no history) should understand the difficulty of scheduling and be on the same page.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I’m excited about the schedule. Looks good for this team. Nice opportunities and not daunting.

The constant talk about another New England team is tiresome. I hope they double down on themselves at URI.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

With the exception of not playing St. Joe’s twice, I don’t think URI could have asked for a better set of home/away conference partners.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhode Island 2018-19 A-10 Schedule

Home: Fordham, George Mason, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Dayton, Massachusetts, Saint Louis, VCU

Away: Duquesne, La Salle, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s, Davidson, Dayton, Massachusetts, Saint Louis, VCU

H&H Partners:
Davidson, Dayton, Massachusetts, Saint Louis, VCU

Link:
http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.d ... =211718363
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI 2018-19 SCHEDULE

HOME:
Bryant
Brown
Stony Brook
Harvard
Middle Tenn
Fordham
George Mason
George Washington
St Bonaventure
Davidson
Dayton
UMass
St Louis
VCU

AWAY:
@ PC
@ Charleston
@ Holy Cross (DCU Center)
@ Duquesne
@ LaSalle
@ Richmond
@ St Joe's
@ Davidson
@ Dayton
@ UMass
@ St Louis
@ VCU

NEUTRAL:
WVU (Mohegun Sun)
Diamond Head Classic #1
Diamond Head Classic #2
Diamond Head Classic #3

[Diamond Head Classic participants: TCU, Bucknell, Charlotte, Colorado, Hawaii, Indiana State and UNLV]
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

For me as a basketball fan, I am ok in the general sense of our schedule. we are in a rebuilding year (not from a deep trench, but I would be happily surprised with an NCAA run this year- do think NIT is a reasonable goal). But our home games have nothing in them to make someone a new season tix holder, or even a team to really rush the court against. Davidson is probably the best team coming to the RC this year. A lot of the people I work with, who were excited last season and helped fill the 2000 flex seats we have, don't see anything worth coming to this year at home. They might show up to Mohegan or join the state fun of getting tixs at the dunk.. but that is not the same thing as a full rocking ryan center to show potential recruits
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

urirx wrote:For me as a basketball fan, I am ok in the general sense of our schedule. we are in a rebuilding year (not from a deep trench, but I would be happily surprised with an NCAA run this year- do think NIT is a reasonable goal). But our home games have nothing in them to make someone a new season tix holder, or even a team to really rush the court against. Davidson is probably the best team coming to the RC this year. A lot of the people I work with, who were excited last season and helped fill the 2000 flex seats we have, don't see anything worth coming to this year at home. They might show up to Mohegan or join the state fun of getting tixs at the dunk.. but that is not the same thing as a full rocking ryan center to show potential recruits
I hear you on that, but I think the schedule got deflated a ton when Nevada pulled that BS, even though they technically could. I mean we would have had a potential top 10 team here. I agree, the rest of the OOC home is so-so but I'm not completely horrified with it. I'm not currently a season tix holder cause i live 2 hrs away and have a toddler, but last year i did a 3 game flex, this year I'm looking to do a 5 or look to go to more games on the weekends.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

I'm a season ticket holder and I live way up in NH. C'mon! :) No kids here, so it makes it that much easier.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

urirx wrote:For me as a basketball fan, I am ok in the general sense of our schedule. we are in a rebuilding year (not from a deep trench, but I would be happily surprised with an NCAA run this year- do think NIT is a reasonable goal). But our home games have nothing in them to make someone a new season tix holder, or even a team to really rush the court against. Davidson is probably the best team coming to the RC this year. A lot of the people I work with, who were excited last season and helped fill the 2000 flex seats we have, don't see anything worth coming to this year at home. They might show up to Mohegan or join the state fun of getting tixs at the dunk.. but that is not the same thing as a full rocking ryan center to show potential recruits
Attendance will be down significantly this year. There is no game in which a mini plan can be anchored with. Ticket office is going to be very creative with promotions to bring in non season ticket holders / students.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Justns11 wrote:I'm a season ticket holder and I live way up in NH. C'mon! :) No kids here, so it makes it that much easier.
I guess you're a better man than me
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyram wrote:
Attendance will be down significantly this year. There is no game in which a mini plan can be anchored with. Ticket office is going to be very creative with promotions to bring in non season ticket holders / students.

The lack of a name OOC opponent will not help season ticket sales but the recent two year run of success may partially offset that.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RF1 wrote:
Rhodyram wrote:

The lack of a name OOC opponent will not help season ticket sales but the recent two year run of success may partially offset that.
They already have their season ticket holders- it’s the single game / mini plan sales that will most likely struggle.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I thought we were returning the Florida Gulf Coast game this year. What happened?
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

eli#10 wrote:I thought we were returning the Florida Gulf Coast game this year. What happened?
The return game in Ft. Myers is next season.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The only bad thing about URI's H&H partners is that four of the five teams are the longest distances in the league. Rhody, being the eastern most team already has to travel quite a bit. The H&H partners add even more travel which costs more and requires added travel time.

The six A-10 league teams in Virginia, DC, and Philly have the advantage of a lot of short bus trips that don't always require overnight stays. For example, all five of Richmond's H&H partners may require no air travel as they have games at Davidson, George Mason, George Washington, La Salle, and VCU.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Re-up with my 5 seats within the mini plan. The A-10 home schedule will partially offset the weaker OOC home schedule.

The A-10 five partner grouping within the A-10 was a home run for URI. The only contender they won’t play twice is St Joes and who would you really swap them out for out of Umass, St Louis (most talented team according to Rothstein), Dayton, Davidson, and VCU.

Fantastic A-10 slate!
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The best home and home partners they couldn’t possibly gotten for sure
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If you have a program, and you win, fans should show up. No matter who we play against. The schedule all things considered is pretty good, and given our returning team is right sized for it IMO. A10 slate is as good as it could be. Midd Tennessee and Harvard are better than FGCU, Iona, Charleston and other similar teams we had at RC last couple of years. We don’t have PC this year, but beyond that it seems to be a very similar scheduling strategy as Dan employed.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote:If you have a program, and you win, fans should show up. No matter who we play against. The schedule all things considered is pretty good, and given our returning team is right sized for it IMO. A10 slate is as good as it could be. Midd Tennessee and Harvard are better than FGCU, Iona, Charleston and other similar teams we had at RC last couple of years. We don’t have PC this year, but beyond that it seems to be a very similar scheduling strategy as Dan employed.
I agree. Posters are acting like we had this great OOC Home schedule last year. We had PC that was the one big game. No game is ever going to replace that. To have all of the recent A10 NCAA Tournament teams and A10 Champs at home is great. VCU, Davidson & Dayton will draw. UMASS always draws. The people who bought tickets last year but will not this year because of the home schedule aren’t URI fans. You are saying they will not by tickets because the PC game isn’t at the RC this year. So they show up every other year. I know several prople who bought tge 5 game plan last year (to get the PC game) and are now hooked - going to buy the 5 game again this year.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I too wished we could have gotten 2 games vs St Joe they will be tough and always gives us fits

Hopefully attendance doesn't drop off too much
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote:I too wished we could have gotten 2 games vs St Joe they will be tough and always gives us fits

Count me out on St Joe’s - happy to avoid them twice. Davidson, St. Louis and VCU twice is nice strong schedule. I expect a bounce back year from the A10. Dayton May slip some, but the league as a whole will be much stronger. 4 teams this year dancing from A10
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodylaw wrote:
reef wrote:I too wished we could have gotten 2 games vs St Joe they will be tough and always gives us fits

Count me out on St Joe’s - happy to avoid them twice. Davidson, St. Louis and VCU twice is nice strong schedule. I expect a bounce back year from the A10. Dayton May slip some, but the league as a whole will be much stronger. 4 teams this year dancing from A10
Ditto...while I don't want to back down on any opponent, SJU plays dirty and I don't want our guys getting hurt (again) because of it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm just excited to see what this team looks like. After losing 5 key guys, we know it's going to look very different. That's enough reason for me to go to some games. Ticket sales might not be what they were last year, but they'll be fine, I think. They're not going back to where they were 6 or 7 years ago. Fatts alone is a draw. He's already a crowd favorite. He will put people in the seats.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m tired of doing the meta-analysis of whether this schedule is good or bad based on how people that don’t really care about basketball will respond to it. I’m done thinking about that; somebody gets paid to think about that, or at least I hope somebody does, but that it isn’t my job. I’m a fan of the basketball program, and when I think about the schedule the analysis should be is this schedule going to be good or bad for the basketball team? From that perspective, I think this year’s schedule is the right fit for the team. Last year’s was great for that team. And I think next year’s is looking like it has a ton of potential to be great for that team, as well. As far as how “casual fans” will respond to it, that’s up to them. Probably not as good this year as last year or next year, but it is what it is.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The casual fan responds to wins over PC and they’re on the schedule every year. Beat them and the response will be good.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody74 wrote:The casual fan responds to wins over PC and they’re on the schedule every year. Beat them and the response will be good.
Beating PC was really fun last year, I think we should do that again this year.

UNLEASH THE FATTS.

Teams look pretty even. I'm sure Holt will be tough.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Harvard and Middle Tennessee are solid additions to the schedule. The other three are pretty weak; one more good one would have been nice but Nevada took care of that. I think we will get the 5-game folks back; it's been steadily going up. I just hope we keep winning to keep interest up.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

They have already hit 5% additional season ticket sales over last year with 3-4 months left to sell more. If they can hit another double digit increase this year that would be amazing. Things continue to move forward, not back.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe season tickets made up 37% of all ticket sales last year. They need to sell a lot of 5 game plans. Last year they sold out the plan PC was in.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You guys may be right about St Joe , getting Davidson VCU and St Lou twice should be enough for our RPI , wins will matter most
1 x