2018-19 Current Season schedule discussion (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2018-19 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by reef »

Agree fantastic idea , got to make sure your top league teams play other top league teams as much as possible , make sure you have best possible shot to dance
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That really is a great idea and the A10 should do something quick to mimic it.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I feel like we'd have to do that.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The Pac 12 is talking about changing their conference scheduling to have the projected top teams play each other, kind of how the Atlantic 10 does. I wonder who URI’s match-ups will be this season. I know no one likes playing on Hawk Hill, but it should be better to have two games again against St. Joe’s. I hope they’re past the days of getting Fordham twice.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'm surprised they played up the "torn" angle as much as they did -- they were undrafted prospects in many mocks after some rough workouts. Perhaps it was all an angle where they wait to see who drops out and see if there is any way to climb. Going as a mid-late second round prospect is so risky given the draft and stash aspect.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote:
I wonder how they will handle the roster overthrow.

This also means that we could have a potential top 10 team coming into the Ryan Center.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... cK&ampcf=1

No mention whatsoever of the rhody game. Looks like slim chances of this game happening. Need a desirable home game on the schedule STAT!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That article is from April, but Nevada is not publicly acknowledging the return game in KINGSTON while URI obviously is. Lots of discussion in this thread.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah that article from April 5th so that's old news

Smart move by the twins returning
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Nevada has another reported game with USC being played as a true road game at the Staples Center.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Shaping up to be the weakest home schedule in years.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote:Shaping up to be the weakest home schedule in years.
...while the schedule might not be that strong...looks like (so far) there's not going to be that many games either :roll:
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Our home conference schedule is almost definitely going to have George Washington, St. Louis, Fordham, VCU, and UMass. If the teams we play twice stay the same as last year you can add Dayton, St. Bonaventure, La Salle, and Davidson in with UMass.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Real low by Nevada, screw em.
0 x
GO RAMS
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

If we are only getting 13 home games we should be allowed tickets to the West Virginia game... That would appease me
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

As of two days ago Nevada doesn't indicate they're playing us, but they do acknowledge they have more to schedule

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They’ve put together a nice day of basketball on December 15th in Atlantic City in what’s being called the Inaugural Boardwalk Classic:

Princeton-Iona
Temple-Davidson
Virginia Tech-Washington
NC State-Penn State
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:As of two days ago Nevada doesn't indicate they're playing us, but they do acknowledge they have more to schedule

I'm pretty certain the game with Nevada has been bought out by them.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote:They’ve put together a nice day of basketball on December 15th in Atlantic City in what’s being called the Inaugural Boardwalk Classic:

Princeton-Iona
Temple-Davidson
Virginia Tech-Washington
NC State-Penn State
This isn't a bad double header either:
UConn - Florida State
Mississippi State vs Clemson

Third annual Never Forget Games on Dec. 8 at the Prudential Center in Newark
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

KMac reporting that Nevada has bought their way out of a return game.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... yan-center
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Wolfpack buys out return game. Screw Nevada. I hope karma bites them in the ass.

Thorr Bjorn:
"We are disappointed in Nevada's decision to exercise its option within the contract to pay the buyout rather than return the game this year," Bjorn said. "We played a great game in Reno last year and planned to provide a similarly great event at the Ryan Center. We acknowledge it is Nevada's right to pay the buyout rather than return the game to URI this year. That said, it certainly wasn't in the spirit of the agreement we signed, but with that we will move on."

Home games versus Harvard and Middle Tenn. Only 14 regular season home games. Majority of OOC schedule away from Kingston (5 RC games/3 away games/4 neutral site games).

URI 2018-19 SCHEDULE

EXHIBITION:
Pace

HOME:
Bryant
Brown
Stony Brook
Harvard
Middle Tenn

AWAY:
@ PC
@ Charleston
@ Holy Cross (DCU Center)

NEUTRAL:
WVU (Mohegun Sun)
Diamond Head Classic #1
Diamond Head Classic #2
Diamond Head Classic #3

Diamond Head Classic participants: TCU, Bucknell, Charlotte, Colorado, Hawaii, Indiana State and UNLV.

2018-19 Non-Conference Schedule Set; Bjorn Addresses Alabama, Nevada Situations
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0608e9unxd
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Diamond Head Classic, WVU, PC, Charleston, and Middle Tennessee State is still a decent schedule in terms of difficulty for a team that will have so much youth playing in major roles. Nevada and Musselman are dicks, but I'm not too disappointing in this schedule.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm more disappointed in URI giving them the option to buy out of the game then I am in Nevada exercising the option. That's on us.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

adam914 wrote:I'm more disappointed in URI giving them the option to buy out of the game then I am in Nevada exercising the option. That's on us.
Is that standard within home and home agreements?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bos8 wrote:
adam914 wrote:I'm more disappointed in URI giving them the option to buy out of the game then I am in Nevada exercising the option. That's on us.

Yes. It is a standard contract practice but is however somewhat rare that it is acted upon. When it typically does happen, it is usually a P5 school backing out. Schools such as a Nevada, which itself has issues scheduling, almost never back out of games. That fact that URI is a team coming off back to back seasons with NCAA Tournament wins makes it even more rare.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Bos8 wrote:
I'll leave it to TP to provide an expert opinion but I feel like 99% of contracts have some sort of term for convenience clause with some sort of termination fee.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I want to know the value of the buy-out! I'm a season ticket holder and I deserve to know how much money the school got from this deal.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Shane, if you find yourself in this thread, a few questions about the schedule: The new teams on the schedule this year: Bryant, Harvard, Stony Brook, and Middle Tennessee State, which ones are multi-game deals and which ones are buy games?

We've hosted Brown a few years in a row now, is this the new normal? Did they play us here to give us an extra home game this year and we'll be back to home and home in Providence next year?

When do you expect that the A10 will announce our home and away games? I know dates come even later than that first announcement.

For games scheduled in the future (2019-20 and so on), can you give the dates we're contracted to play?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The only option should have been to get their panzie asses to the Ryan.
1 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rothstein's Tweet is slightly misleading:

He says no Alabama and Nevada - big missed opportunities for the A10. For this year, he's right, but he didn't mentioned Alabama was moved to next season so we could play West Virginia...a fair trade with a good opportunity for URI and the A10.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The schedule overall is not bad for a young inexperienced team such as URI. The only real issue with it is that the home schedule is not very attractive. Only five OOC home games versus Harvard, Middle Tenn, Brown, Bryant, and Stony Brook will not move ticket sales. The A-10 home schedule will probably not help much either as there are no expected powerhouse teams in the the league next season.

The loss of the home game with Nevada hurts. I can't but help think that Nevada screwed URI twice. I get the impression that URI rescheduled the game with Alabama based on the fact that it expected Nevada to visit. It looks like Nevada not only chose not to honor a return game but did so late in the scheduling process further hurting URI.

On the plus side: For the first time in several years, URI has scheduled the maximum number of games allowed and they are all versus D1 teams.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: We've hosted Brown a few years in a row now, is this the new normal? Did they play us here to give us an extra home game this year and we'll be back to home and home in Providence next year?
We hosted Brown once as part of the HOF Tournament. That game was separate from the contract with Brown. It is possible that the old contract with Brown expired and URI insisted on hosting the first game of a new series. Brown may have accepted this as it doesn't usually get a team like URI to play them on their campus.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
The only option should have been to get their panzie asses to the Ryan.
I agree, but we gave them an out, and thats our fault.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

URIGONZO wrote:I want to know the value of the buy-out! I'm a season ticket holder and I deserve to know how much money the school got from this deal.
Read somewhere that it was 50k. Which is low compared to other contracted buyouts that I’ve seen. If that was the cost, Nevada only hurt their reputation and not their finances.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bos8 wrote:
That's a good question, I have no idea. If it is standard then I'll walk back my criticism of URI offering it, but then I also think that makes it even less of a weak move by Nevada if this is a standard option in home and homes and they just decided to exercise it. Bottom line is they had the upper hand in the whole situation, we needed the game more than they did.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Common sense wise if you give a team the initial game , the buyout should be fairly significant
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Another schedule question for Shane: Do you have times for any of these games yet, especially Middle Tennessee? December 30th is the Patriots regular season finale and they host the Jets at 1
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

RF1 wrote:The schedule overall is not bad for a young inexperienced team such as URI. The only real issue with it is that the home schedule is not very attractive. Only five OOC home games versus Harvard, Middle Tenn, Brown, Bryant, and Stony Brook will not move ticket sales. The A-10 home schedule will probably not help much either as there are no expected powerhouse teams in the the league next season.

The loss of the home game with Nevada hurts. I can't but help think that Nevada screwed URI twice. I get the impression that URI rescheduled the game with Alabama based on the fact that it expected Nevada to visit. It looks like Nevada not only chose not to honor a return game but did so late in the scheduling process further hurting URI.

On the plus side: For the first time in several years, URI has scheduled the maximum number of games allowed and they are all versus D1 teams.

The reschedule with Bama was so we could play WV
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

The buyout for the Nevada game was $ 50 thousand. Essentially, Nevada bought a home game against a Top 25 team for the dirt cheap price of $50 grand.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyram wrote:Common sense wise if you give a team the initial game , the buyout should be fairly significant

I have beaten up URI in the past on scheduling. I however will not do so in this instance. Based on what I understand, the buyout clause is a standard practice in series contracts. It is however rarely acted upon, especially by a team outside the P5. What Nevada just did to URI is very very unusual. I challenge anyone who thinks otherwise to name the last time a non P5 school bought out a return game against a team, let alone one that was ranked and won NCAA Tournament games the previous two seasons.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI96 wrote:
RF1 wrote:The schedule overall is not bad for a young inexperienced team such as URI. The only real issue with it is that the home schedule is not very attractive. Only five OOC home games versus Harvard, Middle Tenn, Brown, Bryant, and Stony Brook will not move ticket sales. The A-10 home schedule will probably not help much either as there are no expected powerhouse teams in the the league next season.

The reschedule with Bama was so we could play WV
Yes - I realize that. It might however have been done with the thinking that Nevada was still on the Ryan Center schedule. Based on the fact that URI was selling season tickets highlighting Nevada, I get the impression that Nevada did not opt out until late in the scheduling process (after the Alabama and WVU moves).
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

reckless jake wrote:The buyout for the Nevada game was $ 50 thousand. Essentially, Nevada bought a home game against a Top 25 team for the dirt cheap price of $50 grand.
Their home arena seats 11,536. Between what they can bring in playing an extra home game and the costs coming here we were practically begging them to buy us out at $50k. Are they cowards? Yes. Did we do a horrible job with that contract negotiation? Also yes. Hopefully this is a learning experience for the people signing these contracts and we make buyouts prohibitive for schools in the future.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Interesting to also note how URI classified two games as it lists both Holy Cross and West Virginia as neutral site games. This makes sense to me with regards to WVU as it is at a venue some 40 miles away in another state as part of a triple-header separate from URI season ticket packages. The game in Worcester at the DCU Center being listed as a neutral site games however seems odd. The venue is just two miles from the Crusader campus while URI is some 70 miles away. Holy Cross plays games there on a somewhat regular basis. It will be interesting to see if it is part of their season ticket package (some of their fans believe it will be). Before the Ryan Center opened, Rhode Island used to play many games at the Providence Civic Center which was about 30 miles from its campus. These were considered home games, even versus Providence College (which played all its home games there) every other year when URI controlled the sale of tickets. It will be interesting to see how these two games are treated by the various sites for RPI rating purposes.

Based on these NCAA rules, it would appear to me that WVU game should be classified as a neutral site game and the Holy Cross game as an away game.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/Policies.pdf
See Page 11
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
reckless jake wrote:The buyout for the Nevada game was $ 50 thousand. Essentially, Nevada bought a home game against a Top 25 team for the dirt cheap price of $50 grand.
Their home arena seats 11,536. Between what they can bring in playing an extra home game and the costs coming here we were practically begging them to buy us out at $50k. Are they cowards? Yes. Did we do a horrible job with that contract negotiation? Also yes. Hopefully this is a learning experience for the people signing these contracts and we make buyouts prohibitive for schools in the future.
I think Thorr and Dan have a little more experience negotiating contracts than you do.
This is standard. Musselman screwed URI. This is not a good move by a mid major. The coaching and AD fraternity is a close group. It will be known by all mid majors to avoid Nevada. Muusselman doesn’t care because he is heading back to the NBA in a year or two. Wait until Nevada is in a situation again like they were last year - needing a strong OOC home game.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
I think Thorr and Dan have a little more experience negotiating contracts than you do.
This is standard. Musselman screwed URI. This is not a good move by a mid major. The coaching and AD fraternity is a close group. It will be known by all mid majors to avoid Nevada. Muusselman doesn’t care because he is heading back to the NBA in a year or two. Wait until Nevada is in a situation again like they were last year - needing a strong OOC home game.
So because they have more experience it's impossible to make a mistake? Because they clearly did. If the buyout was high enough Nevada would be playing here this year. We made it far too easy to buy us out.

And why would any team in the future hold Nevada responsible for this if Musselman isn't there anymore? That's a nonsensical assertion.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Fact: The $50k is somewhat low if you anticipate the other team is a risk to back out.
Fact: Nevada is a non-P5 team who was coming off their first NCAA appearance in TEN years when Dan scheduled them.
Apparent Fact: Musselman is now feeling his oats and thinks his team is too good to play Rhody although BOTH of our programs have made the Tournament the past 2 years.

I think theoretically if this contract was with say, Duke (as if that would happen but stay with me here), the buyout would be more like the typical cost negotiated for a buy game. But I think in this case based on the usual amicability between non-P5 schools, no one thought there was a risk of losing the game. Agreed above that this is a learning lesson that even if you perceive yourself as equal or near to another program, the person you are dealing with may be a megalomaniac and you need to protect yourself accordingly in these contracts.

Have fun playing USC, Nevada Wolfpack Puppy Dogs.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If we learn that the contract with Nevada deviated significantly from what is the industry standard, then second-guessing URI's approach to it might be fair. But if, as I suspect, this was just a normal contract with normal terms, then I find it difficult to fault URI for not anticipating that Nevada would not honor their obligations under the agreement, as nearly all teams do. Over the thousands of OOC games played every year, the number of return games bought out is less than a handful or so a year and those usually involve extraordinary circumstances. You're asking URI to hedge against a 0.00001% chance, where taking such a hard line could jeopardize making the deal in the first place.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
So because they have more experience it's impossible to make a mistake? Because they clearly did. If the buyout was high enough Nevada would be playing here this year. We made it far too easy to buy us out.

And why would any team in the future hold Nevada responsible for this if Musselman isn't there anymore? That's a nonsensical assertion.
Because the Nevada AD had significant input into this.

Btw, all the critics of Thorr’s negotiating skills. Please provide the following:
1) A list of games where a team has bought out the return game to URI
2) Any of the actual buyout amounts in the contracts for home & home with midmajors in the last 4 years. Have a reliable source.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Some credit is due to URI regarding the scheduling. Not only will the program play the maximum number of games this season, all versus D1 opposition, it has completed and announced its OOC schedule with dates far earlier than any other recent years.
4 x