The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by DC_Rams »

How did the dinner with coach go last night?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ty Bosewell had an Intagram video last night at the Coast Guard House. I am guessing he joined them.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Another position to fill? The world of college sports really is small and connected.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Another position to fill? The world of college sports really is small and connected.
???
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

DC_Rams wrote:How did the dinner with coach go last night?
It went quite well. Coach Cox and Coach Boswell are both very genuine and we'll spoken, they represent the University well. The first 15 minutes of dinner last night were spent with Coach Cox asking questions about bluesuitman and myself. They asked us what drew us to the University (to see if there's anything they're not selling the school on that they could be). They asked also about our most memorable point in the last few seasons when we felt like the season went down the tubes (my answer was the Fordham game from last year).

I forget a lot of the specifics from last night, but they both seem very excited to have the 4 freshmen on campus this early. They spoke a bit about the leadership gap with the seniors leaving and the need for Jeff to step up into the lead role. They talked about Jared and EC's NBA tryouts and the ones they have scheduled coming up soon, and the role they play as a support system and in helping to get guys agents after graduating, etc. They spoke about the fraternity of college coaches and the chance to get to know each other during the live recruiting periods sitting in those gyms all day, and the difficulty of being realistic in recruiting and not wasting time on guys that will never give you a second look. Also spoke about the role in recruiting the parents of the players, and getting the mom's approval. I asked Coach Cox what he felt was his biggest strength, he said that being down to earth and relatable is one of his biggest strengths. I asked if they felt more pressure this year in bigger roles, Cox said it's the nature of the business, and they embrace the expectations and pressure.

He also mentioned the difference in demeanor between him and Hurley, and the way Hurley seems to wear the strain of the job much more than him.

Oh, and a great dinner and the coast guard house as well. Great evening all around.

Can't wait for next season.
5 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Any word on the final scholarship for this year?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Intended to ask about that, but the night flew by and I forgot to ask.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice recap of your dinner with coach. I guess the possible Nevada game didn't come up ?? Thanks for sharing
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

Hi all,

I know you all are waiting. Schedule will be released this morning. Just getting final checks and edits. Some of the questions that have been asked by you all regarding specific games will be addressed.

Shane
6 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Thanks! Can’t wait!
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Daniel Marshall is leaving...pretty considerable loss.

Wonder where he's heading (moving closer to home per instagram) and who we have targeted as a replacement.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ASU
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:ASU

The Hurleys are certainly doing URI no favors when it comes to assembling staffs.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Damn thats a shame.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote:
ace wrote:ASU

The Hurleys are certainly doing URI no favors when it comes to assembling staffs.
Family on 3... :roll:
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Thanks Bobby. Thanks Dan. Good riddance.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:Another position to fill? The world of college sports really is small and connected.
???
So, your post was about Bobby taking Marshall. How nice.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
???
It's especially small and connected if you don't mind screwing over your old school.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Look I give Dan all the credit for building the program to where it is now. But with all the shit that has happened in the past few months starting with the shady dealings of Moore, Calhoun and UCONN to this latest news about Marshall, I've had it with the Hurleys. They don't give a shit about URI. And if they don't, that's fine. Who cares. But don't pretend that you do. That's what pisses me off. For those who might not know, maybe Dan didn’t directly talk to our players about transferring to UCONN. He had Eric Younkowski talk to Fatts to try and convince him. Screw them. David Cox is a much more honorable and respectable person. I wonder who else they'll try to get.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bobby worked here for about 17 seconds, he doesn't owe URI anything.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:Bobby worked here for about 17 seconds, he doesn't owe URI anything.
Do you think he approached Marshall or Marshall approached him?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You also shouldn't jump to conclusions without the facts...what if Marshall said 'hey Dave i am really thinking about moving back west and want to be closer to family" and Dave suggested he call Bob. Also in terms of Fatts my sources say DH was a major influence in telling Fatts to stay put at URI.

If they are knowingly trying to 'poach' people then that is worth our scorn but we just dont know that to be true, in fact I do know he told Fatts to stay which flies against the assertion of them raiding Kingston for talent.
7 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:You also shouldn't jump to conclusions without the facts...what if Marshall said 'hey Dave i am really thinking about moving back west and want to be closer to family" and Dave suggested he call Bob. Also in terms of Fatts my sources say DH was a major influence in telling Fatts to stay put at URI.

If they are knowingly trying to 'poach' people then that is worth our scorn but we just dont know that to be true, in fact I do know he told Fatts to stay which flies against the assertion of them raiding Kingston for talent.
Ok, but I was told differently.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Look I give Dan all the credit for building the program to where it is now. But with all the shit that has happened in the past few months starting with the shady dealings of Moore, Calhoun and UCONN to this latest news about Marshall, I've had it with the Hurleys. They don't give a shit about URI. And if they don't, that's fine. Who cares. But don't pretend that you do. That's what pisses me off. For those who might not know, maybe Dan didn’t directly talk to our players about transferring to UCONN. He had Eric Younkowski talk to Fatts to try and convince him. Screw them. David Cox is a much more honorable and respectable person. I wonder who else they'll try to get.
Cox is a basketball coach just like the rest of them. He will leave for a bigger job if he gets the chance to. Maybe fans need to stop acting like they have been cheated on every time a guy takes a better job somewhere. This is how it works. I am starting to believe more and more that the majority of our fans are much more comfortable with URI just being a nice little place where we everything is small time and easy and comfortable and never have to deal with the things that come with being a major college basketball program.
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Perhaps if URI paid better, it would not be such a revolving door for coaches and staff.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Look I give Dan all the credit for building the program to where it is now. But with all the shit that has happened in the past few months starting with the shady dealings of Moore, Calhoun and UCONN to this latest news about Marshall, I've had it with the Hurleys. They don't give a shit about URI. And if they don't, that's fine. Who cares. But don't pretend that you do. That's what pisses me off. For those who might not know, maybe Dan didn’t directly talk to our players about transferring to UCONN. He had Eric Younkowski talk to Fatts to try and convince him. Screw them. David Cox is a much more honorable and respectable person. I wonder who else they'll try to get.
Cox is a basketball coach just like the rest of them. He will leave for a bigger job if he gets the chance to. Maybe fans need to stop acting like they have been cheated on every time a guy takes a better job somewhere. This is how it works. I am starting to believe more and more that the majority of our fans are much more comfortable with URI just being a nice little place where we everything is small time and easy and comfortable and never have to deal with the things that come with being a major college basketball program.
I understand that. I'm talking about the way it went down. Just tell the truth. I don't want to hear all the bullshit.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:Here's the 2018-19 roster. It lists David Cox as the head coach. http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/roster
They’re halfway there! Now to get it linked in the official site.

Has the team account ever retweeted your stuff? I am greatly appreciating your updates on Jared and EC’s workout schedules- thanks!
Sorry, been off the board for a while. The short answer is... maybe? Probably? I'm honestly not sure.

I'm basically figuring the Matthews / Terrell stuff out via Twitter searches and Instagram story stalking. It's not Ringer-Colangelo level sleuthing but it works.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
I understand that. I'm talking about the way it went down. Just tell the truth. I don't want to hear all the bullshit.
But the bullshit is part of it. That's basically exactly what I am trying to say.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:
Agree...if you get to be 'good', people will want your people. If you don't get good, people aren't going to want your people...
It's a much better thing to have everyone after your folks than no one.... just saying.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
But the bullshit is part of it. That's basically exactly what I am trying to say.
It was all the 'it's not about money, it's not about winning, it's about mentoring young men, we're a family" (I'm paraphrasing here ), that bullshit. When in reality, he was planning with scumbag Calhoun and scumbag Moore DURING our season. That's the bullshit I'm talking about. Don't preach family and loyalty when you don't mean it.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: I understand that. I'm talking about the way it went down. Just tell the truth. I don't want to hear all the bullshit.
It was all the 'it's not about money, it's not about winning, it's about mentoring young men, we're a family" (I'm paraphrasing here ), that bullshit. When in reality, he was planning with scumbag Calhoun and scumbag Moore DURING our season. That's the bullshit I'm talking about. Don't preach family and loyalty when you don't mean it.
...lol, saying that stuff...that's a 'major part of' the bs...
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: I understand that. I'm talking about the way it went down. Just tell the truth. I don't want to hear all the bullshit.
I've argued this point before and I know nobody really wants to hear it, but I think that in Hurley's mind (granted I am not in the mans head) he was loyal to the "family" that he was talking about when he said all those things. In my opinion I think Hurley's URI family was EC, Hass, Terrell and Jarvis. Those are the guys he wouldn't have ever bailed on. Once they were gone it was a much easier decision. I don't think he ever meant the fans and the university.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm 90% with Adam on this - this how the world works, it isn't just college basketball. People network and leverage relationships to get new jobs. These coaches and players are not property of the University or our fan base while they are here; they are free to pursue other opportunities whenever they wish. Our concern should be with making URI a place people want to come to and don't want to leave, not vilifying anyone that does.

BUT, having said that, I am 10% with Billyboy on the idea that you don't need to go out of your way to tell untruths about how the system works and how you work within it. Like the reality of the way the system works, this is likewise true in both college basketball and the world at large. It is a matter of character when you decide whether to lie or not. There may be truths that you don't feel you can or should say - so don't say them! But just say nothing. Don't say the opposite thing because you know it will be received better when you know it isn't true. To me, knowing how to avoid saying unpleasant things while also avoiding saying anything untruthful is an art form - but it is one worth honing if you want to be considered a certain type of person.

To me, that is a fair and valid criticism of Dan Hurley: the desire for adoration is so strong that he says things knowing they are not true because he also knows exactly how they will impact his reputation and his relationships with people. It is, in my opinion, a character flaw. To be clear, the criticism is not that he left for UConn, or that he took staff with him, or even that he may have tried to take players with him. That stuff is all to be expected. The criticism is that he didn't need to try so hard to create the perception that he is not the type of person who would ever, EVER do something like that. It wasn't necessary. If you're a basketball coach and you win, people will love you. They don't need you to whisper sweet nothings at them, too.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My understanding is Billyboy’s version is closer to the truth. Dan knows how to play the game (as do most top D1 coaches). What he said publicly and what others followed up on are different. Publicly he told Adams to stay. How did that work out?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I'm 90% with Adam on this - this how the world works, it isn't just college basketball. People network and leverage relationships to get new jobs. These coaches and players are not property of the University or our fan base while they are here; they are free to pursue other opportunities whenever they wish. Our concern should be with making URI a place people want to come to and don't want to leave, not vilifying anyone that does.

BUT, having said that, I am 10% with Billyboy on the idea that you don't need to go out of your way to tell untruths about how the system works and how you work within it. Like the reality of the way the system works, this is likewise true in both college basketball and the world at large. It is a matter of character when you decide whether to lie or not. There may be truths that you don't feel you can or should say - so don't say them! But just say nothing. Don't say the opposite thing because you know it will be received better when you know it isn't true. To me, knowing how to avoid saying unpleasant things while also avoiding saying anything untruthful is an art form - but it is one worth honing if you want to be considered a certain type of person.

To me, that is a fair and valid criticism of Dan Hurley: the desire for adoration is so strong that he says things knowing they are not true because he also knows exactly how they will impact his reputation and his relationships with people. It is, in my opinion, a character flaw. To be clear, the criticism is not that he left for UConn, or that he took staff with him, or even that he may have tried to take players with him. That stuff is all to be expected. The criticism is that he didn't need to try so hard to create the perception that he is not the type of person who would ever, EVER do something like that. It wasn't necessary. If you're a basketball coach and you win, people will love you. They don't need you to whisper sweet nothings at them, too.
Honest question here because I am curious to hear your thoughts on it...do you think some of that persona was built up by us fans? That we helped create that perception in some ways because after finally having some of the success we have been craving we so badly wanted it to be true that Hurley would be different and stay here forever.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I'm 90% with Adam on this - this how the world works, it isn't just college basketball. People network and leverage relationships to get new jobs. These coaches and players are not property of the University or our fan base while they are here; they are free to pursue other opportunities whenever they wish. Our concern should be with making URI a place people want to come to and don't want to leave, not vilifying anyone that does.

Honest question here because I am curious to hear your thoughts on it...do you think some of that persona was built up by us fans? That we helped create that perception in some ways because after finally having some of the success we have been craving we so badly wanted it to be true that Hurley would be different and stay here forever.
To Adam’s question. I don’t think so. That is part of Dan Hurley the marketer/PR machine. It helped him build a successful program and at the same time build up his own image. A friend of mine is a UCONN donor. He went to their recent coaches road show. His comment about Hurley - “boy he knows how yo pile it on”.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That's pretty much what I'm trying to say.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
I've argued this point before and I know nobody really wants to hear it, but I think that in Hurley's mind (granted I am not in the mans head) he was loyal to the "family" that he was talking about when he said all those things. In my opinion I think Hurley's URI family was EC, Hass, Terrell and Jarvis. Those are the guys he wouldn't have ever bailed on. Once they were gone it was a much easier decision. I don't think he ever meant the fans and the university.
So, EC, Hass, Jared and Jarvis were the children while Jeff, Cyril, Christion, Nicola, the two Mikes, etc., were the step children. .....kidding, kind of....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:The criticism is that he didn't need to try so hard to create the perception that he is not the type of person who would ever, EVER do something like that.
You did a lot of armchair psychologizing but I am confused what you think this is? The something like that?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:The criticism is that he didn't need to try so hard to create the perception that he is not the type of person who would ever, EVER do something like that.
You did a lot of armchair psychologizing but I am confused what you think this is? The something like that?
Basically the guy played the media, said he was all about family and bailed. In a nut shell. But he went to uconn. Which is the same as if he went to pc. So I will watch and enjoy if he fails.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: It was all the 'it's not about money, it's not about winning, it's about mentoring young men, we're a family" (I'm paraphrasing here ), that bullshit. When in reality, he was planning with scumbag Calhoun and scumbag Moore DURING our season. That's the bullshit I'm talking about. Don't preach family and loyalty when you don't mean it.
So, EC, Hass, Jared and Jarvis were the children while Jeff, Cyril, Christion, Nicola, the two Mikes, etc., were the step children. .....kidding, kind of....
So all of his past players- ones he’s left, kicked off his teams, etc.- who still come to him when they’re struggling, who crash at his house, who reach out to support him and his teams, who, unsolicited, tell people he’s like no other coach they’ve had (including a guy like KI, who has had his problems with a coach), the guys who never transferred... they were all taken in by this “family” lie, too?

bb has one story about Fatts, bar- who was certainly no fan of Dan when he left- says his sources say quite the opposite. Base your opinions on whatever you want. Fandom is irrational, but this stuff is so frustrating and, personally, sad to me.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
???
My post was about how there was a job opening. Nobody “takes” anybody. Yes, the college sports world is small and connected. Daniel and Dominique both went to Arizona. Dominique helped coach the Providence volleyball team when Dan was working at URI.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:
And is he not going to do those things at UConn? I love that you have those tweets on copy/paste and keep pulling them out like they prove some point. He did his thing at URI and did it well, and his players appreciate him. UConn was a dream job for him, whether that makes sense to anyone or not, but just because you might think the job sucks doesn’t mean that’s not true to him.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: ???
My post was about how there was a job opening. Nobody “takes” anybody. Yes, the college sports world is small and connected. Daniel and Dominique both went to Arizona. Dominique helped coach the Providence volleyball team when Dan was working at URI.
Your comment several days ago was obviously very vague. I had no idea what you were talking about. I'm pretty sure no one else here did either.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:
RF1 wrote:
And is he not going to do those things at UConn? I love that you have those tweets on copy/paste and keep pulling them out ;) He did his thing at URI and did it well, and his players appreciate him. UConn was a dream job for him, whether that makes sense to anyone or not, but just because you might think the job sucks doesn’t mean that’s not true to him.

Don't come after me. These are Hurley's own words. If they now seem hypocritical and offend some, take it up with Dan.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:
ace wrote:
RF1 wrote:
And is he not going to do those things at UConn? I love that you have those tweets on copy/paste and keep pulling them out ;) He did his thing at URI and did it well, and his players appreciate him. UConn was a dream job for him, whether that makes sense to anyone or not, but just because you might think the job sucks doesn’t mean that’s not true to him.

Don't come after me. These are Hurley's own words. If they now seem hypocritical and offend some, take it up with Dan.
He didn’t chase money, and he will continue to be a mentor and educator, just as he was at St. Anthony and Rutgers and St. Benedict’s and Wagner and URI.
2 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

adam914 wrote:

No, I think it was built up by Dan himself. I posted this a while back, but I'll repeat it since it's relevant. My next door neighbor has a friend who grew up with the Hurleys, knows the family. During a conversation last summer, this friend said that Dan was gushing to him about how much his family loved Rhode Island, how excited he was about the progress being made with our basketball program, how he wanted to turn URI into an "East coast powerhouse". He also said he only had one more big job in him, and it had to be a "perfect situation". So evidently the UCONN opportunity was perfect in Dan's eyes, as surprising as that may seem when you factor everything in (potential NCAA sanctions, playing in the AAC, unrealistic fan expectations, Calhoun's shadow looming over him, etc).

So while I'm not going to crucify the guy for jumping at the opportunity to make more money and coach at a school that has impressive history, I agree with the other posters that are saying he didn't need to make such an effort to stress the importance of loyalty, family and commitment when he probably had one foot out the door for quite some time. He comes off as a phony. And having those back room conversations with Calhoun and those other sleazeballs at UCONN while our season was in full swing...that was the nail in the coffin for me. I appreciate what he did for our program, but I''ll never root for him to succeed at UCONN. I hope they wallow in mediocrity for the duration of his employment. On to bigger and better things with Coach Cox.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
RF1 wrote:
And is he not going to do those things at UConn? I love that you have those tweets on copy/paste and keep pulling them out like they prove some point. He did his thing at URI and did it well, and his players appreciate him. UConn was a dream job for him, whether that makes sense to anyone or not, but just because you might think the job sucks doesn’t mean that’s not true to him.
If it's not about money and it's not about winning (his words ), then why did he leave? Is it prettier there? Did he get tired of mentoring these kids and he wanted some new kids to mentor? What is the true reason? Seriously, I'd like to know.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote:
ace wrote:
Basically the guy played the media, said he was all about family and bailed. In a nut shell. But he went to uconn. Which is the same as if he went to pc. So I will watch and enjoy if he fails.
This x 1000. He went to UConn. The 2nd most hated team in our program history (of course water downed now due to chicken shit Calhoun refusing to play us).
0 x