The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, but you totally misunderstand the nature of the MBB website. The 2017-18 roster and coaching staff doesn't change because we have a new coach for the 2018-19 season. The 2017-18 roster and staff becomes part of the archival records so no correction is warranted. Cox will show up in his proper place along with the new roster for the 2018-19 season. Ace you should know better!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Obadiah wrote:Sorry, but you totally misunderstand the nature of the MBB website. The 2017-18 roster and coaching staff doesn't change because we have a new coach for the 2018-19 season. The 2017-18 roster and staff becomes part of the archival records so no correction is warranted. Cox will show up in his proper place along with the new roster for the 2018-19 season. Ace you should know better!
Excuse me? What I know is that they had Cox and Boswell (and no Hurley or Moore) listed as the coaches and then they returned it to the way it is now. Maybe it’s in some mid-point of construction now. Yes, in the archives this team with EC and Terrell and Hurley that won the conference will be listed as the 17-18 team, but right now, the Rhody MBB web site should reflect the current coaching staff and not the head coach of freaking UConn. Do you think Xavier has Chris Mack listed as their head coach? And sure, it may seem stupid to harp on the roster, but it’s more of the same. (yes, I’m still mad about graduation)
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I would think that the purpose of having a URI Men's basketball website is to provide fans of the team with the most up to date and current information about the team.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

PROTOCOL.............the urgency that posters on a fan based blog seek information, is not necessarily within the legal protocols of state employment contracts.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

CTRamfan wrote:PROTOCOL.............the urgency that posters on a fan based blog seek information, is not necessarily within the legal protocols of state employment contracts.
UConn is a state school too. I was patient until June 1, now it's embarrassing. And to have Dan Hurley still listed on the website is crazy.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, but I was referring to the link that was provided. If you click on that link you get the 2017-18 roster which also includes the coaching staff of that season. There is no separate link for coaches. When URI updates the 2018-19 roster they will update the coaching staff and the delay is because the complete Cox staff has not been officially announced yet. BTW, the PC MBB website uses the same approach as do other schools. UConn, on the other hand, has a separate link for coaches so they have that updated.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote:Sorry, but I was referring to the link that was provided. If you click on that link you get the 2017-18 roster which also includes the coaching staff of that season. There is no separate link for coaches. When URI updates the 2018-19 roster they will update the coaching staff and the delay is because the complete Cox staff has not been officially announced yet. BTW, the PC MBB website uses the same approach as do other schools. UConn, on the other hand, has a separate link for coaches so they have that updated.
1) You are missing the point. The first week of April the roster on the gorhody.com site had Cox as HC and Ty as Ast Coach. Dan and Moore were removed.

2) If I go to the UCONN web site it has Dan Hurley HC, Moore Ast etc. i doesn’t have Kevin Ollie as the HC.

3) I don’t care if other schools do it wrong. When you have a coaching change you put the new coach on the web site and remove the old coach. Even if you need to update the roster to be a portion of the 2018-19 roster.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You didn't read my note carefully enough, the UConn MBB has three relevant links - schedule, roster and coaches whereas the URI site has schedule has only schedule and roster and the URI roster link also includes the coaches listing. The UConn site has the coaches link updated as well as the roster. Their schedule is still 2017-18. In the URI case, the roster and coaches info are in the same link and you can't update it until all the staff has been announced. So it is correct to have Dan Hurley listed as coach because that was the case for the 2017-18 and you don't change history. Your complaint is valid only if the 2018-19 roster/staff has Dan Hurley listed and that ain't going to happen.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Agree with the above...I guess...But it still seems like there should be something that specifically shows who's directing the program...other than a story about his hire from April? Maybe not...

Go to the L'ville site...they've got their coaches listed: http://gocards.com/sports/2018/4/4/loui ... staff.aspx

Seems true that you can actually know a lot more about this team following this board than by the team's official site...
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yep it's the off-season...
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Xavier 2017-18 Roster, Head Coach Travis Steele (yes, I think it’s hilarious that the title of Head Coach seems to have a sponsor)
http://goxavier.com/roster.aspx?path=mb ... er-coaches

La Salle 2017-18 Roster, Head Coach Ashley Howard
http://www.goexplorers.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Those guys didn’t coach those teams in 17-18, but it’s a better look than currently listing a guy that took another job or was fired. They can change it back when it goes into the archives.

Memphis has a Spring 2018 Roster listed that includes Penny as the head coach. Do that maybe.

The team helped out at the Special Olympics today. Where’s the social media post to highlight that? I saw the ones from the school a few days ago and thought that was great. A couple mentions of Terrell’s pre-draft workouts, but not all of them. Zero mentions of EC’s team workouts.

People who have followed this program way longer than I have say that this lack of marketing, these missed opportunities, have always been the case. It’s frustrating when you check out what other teams are doing.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote:You didn't read my note carefully enough, the UConn MBB has three relevant links - schedule, roster and coaches whereas the URI site has schedule has only schedule and roster and the URI roster link also includes the coaches listing. The UConn site has the coaches link updated as well as the roster. Their schedule is still 2017-18. In the URI case, the roster and coaches info are in the same link and you can't update it until all the staff has been announced. So it is correct to have Dan Hurley listed as coach because that was the case for the 2017-18 and you don't change history. Your complaint is valid only if the 2018-19 roster/staff has Dan Hurley listed and that ain't going to happen.
There is no justifiable explanation to why gorhody was changed in April to show Cox as HC and Hurley & Moore removed. Now in June Hurley is the HC.

You are wrong about the UCONN site. Here is their roster link on school site. It includes a partial 2018-19 roster (returning players only) and the current coaching staff. The roster and coaches are listed on the same page. Just like gorhody.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-ba ... l-mtt.html

Stop coming up with excuses for not having the current HC listed on the school’s site and having the coach who left over two months ago as the HC. It is incompetent.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Here's the 2018-19 roster. It lists David Cox as the head coach. http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/roster
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:You didn't read my note carefully enough, the UConn MBB has three relevant links - schedule, roster and coaches whereas the URI site has schedule has only schedule and roster and the URI roster link also includes the coaches listing. The UConn site has the coaches link updated as well as the roster. Their schedule is still 2017-18. In the URI case, the roster and coaches info are in the same link and you can't update it until all the staff has been announced. So it is correct to have Dan Hurley listed as coach because that was the case for the 2017-18 and you don't change history. Your complaint is valid only if the 2018-19 roster/staff has Dan Hurley listed and that ain't going to happen.
There is no justifiable explanation to why gorhody was changed in April to show Cox as HC and Hurley & Moore removed. Now in June Hurley is the HC.

You are wrong about the UCONN site. Here is their roster link on school site. It includes a partial 2018-19 roster (returning players only) and the current coaching staff. The roster and coaches are listed on the same page. Just like gorhody.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-ba ... l-mtt.html

Stop coming up with excuses for not having the current HC listed on the school’s site and having the coach who left over two months ago as the HC. It is incompetent.
Agreed...kinda weak. I was at the one of the first coaches shows at TwoTen this year and they had signs that said "Dan Hurley URI Coach's Show 4-9PM" (like he's going to d a 5 hour show). I showed it to Dan after and he just rolled his eyes and said to the people around him.."See...this is who we are..." and insisted on getting a pic of the poster. Not positive, but I'm thinking the implication was "small time, act not altogether together, we don't really have anyone accountable for this kinda stuff." I love the team and the program...but seems they could really step up the off-the-court game...?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Here's the 2018-19 roster. It lists David Cox as the head coach. http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/roster
They’re halfway there! Now to get it linked in the official site.

Has the team account ever retweeted your stuff? I am greatly appreciating your updates on Jared and EC’s workout schedules- thanks!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on URI you are better than that !!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote:
Just my thought, but I think Dana Tate is going to be an instant leader on the team.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

ace wrote:
I see everyone on the 18/19 team in these pics except for Mike Layssard. Is he not attending summer school?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

reckless jake wrote:
ace wrote:
I see everyone on the 18/19 team in these pics except for Mike Layssard. Is he not attending summer school?
Probably working out, kid is a giant.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice pics . Good to see the incoming fresh representating
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Hey everyone,

As part of the season ticket promotions that URI was doing a little while ago, my buddy, and a fellow poster (bluesuitman) won the dinner with Coach Cox. He invited me along as his guest, so we're getting dinner with the coach and his wife tomorrow night.

Anything in particular that someone would like us to ask the coach during our time with him?
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Stop! Rammer Time wrote:Hey everyone,

As part of the season ticket promotions that URI was doing a little while ago, my buddy, and a fellow poster (bluesuitman) won the dinner with Coach Cox. He invited me along as his guest, so we're getting dinner with the coach and his wife tomorrow night.

Anything in particular that someone would like us to ask the coach during our time with him?
Good deal and congrats! He likely can't respond to anything that's not already public, but anything around scheduling would be cool...when I talked to the season tix folks yesterday, they said they were planning for 16 home games, including Nevada... Although I think we probably know better on Nevada, would be interesting to see his reaction to questions about that...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is he still trying to use that last scholarship this year?
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Good deal and congrats! He likely can't respond to anything that's not already public, but anything around scheduling would be cool...when I talked to the season tix folks yesterday, they said they were planning for 16 home games, including Nevada... Although I think we probably know better on Nevada, would be interesting to see his reaction to questions about that...

I've had sort of a running dialogue with Chris Murray of the Reno Gazette Journal, who is the beat writer for Nevada, he maintains (as recently as yesterday) that there is no game in Kingston between Nevada and URI. Something is up with this game that isn't public info yet. I'd be interested in hearing what Coach Cox says about this game and the schedule in general.
Besides upcoming use of schollies ask about roster returnees, most notably Mike Layssard, who seems to be missing from recent summer school pics of the team.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

The 16 game quote seems to be the company line when it comes to selling the season tix. I don’t see how they are going to get there. If they don’t, the individual game ticket prices will be interesting to look at. The season tix are marketed as a better deal than buying at the single game price. With less games, the price is going to be quite high to keep the season ticket price lower.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They did it... it’s finally linked to the official site!

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/roster
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

re: # of games.... Will be interesting...they did say that there won't be any adjustments to the season ticket price, regardless of # of games. Is that really a 'thing' that the season tix price is better than single game prices? I like having the same guaranteed seat...but never looked at it as cheaper than individual game purchases...always thought it was the same or very close to the same...?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYG, the season tix are always a discount from buying each game individually. It's an incentive to buy them.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:NYG, the season tix are always a discount from buying each game individually. It's an incentive to buy them.
Do you remember what the difference was last year? Was it significant?
Didn't seem like enough to be an incentive if I recall... The incentive for me was the no-hassle, same seat every game part...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

When the other two Assistant Coaches will start?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
theblueram wrote:NYG, the season tix are always a discount from buying each game individually. It's an incentive to buy them.
Do you remember what the difference was last year? Was it significant?
Didn't seem like enough to be an incentive if I recall... The incentive for me was the no-hassle, same seat every game part...
I seem to recall it was at least 2 or 3 games free when you bought the season tix. Could be wrong though. But it was a discount.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Can you ask him if a dedicated practice facility is his priority. And if not why. And if so, how awesome does it need to be.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Unless URI cancels/postpones an already scheduled away game they can only play 13 games at the Ryan Center (+ home game at Mohegan). Any more would exceed the NCAA limit of games. I am guessing the ticketing people (who work for the Ryan Center and not MBB) are clueless regarding the NCAA schefuling rule. They haven’t figured out the number of away commitments for the 18-19 season.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

13 games at $25 which I believe my seats individually were last year would be $325. My tix were $375. That would mean my seats would need to go to $35 a game to get a two game discount.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

From the season ticket page on gorhody: "season ticket holders take advantage of several great benefits including guaranteed access to the premium matchups, savings of up to 35% versus purchasing tickets for each game separately, priority access to postseason tickets and much more!"

My price for 2 tickets in the loge in 2017-18 was $680 for 16 games
Same 2 seats in 2018-19 is $750 for what looks like less than 16 games
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm afraid that $35 single game loge tix would price a good chunk of folks out...
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I'm afraid that $35 single game loge tix would price a good chunk of folks out...
And this is one of the points that I was going to make. The Rc schedule is not attractive, the team is going to take a step back and the ticket office is going to have to stick high prices on the single game tickets. This program is still in the process of building the fan base by selling to the casual fan and they may end up losing some with the pricing of tickets.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I'm afraid that $35 single game loge tix would price a good chunk of folks out...
And this is one of the points that I was going to make. The Rc schedule is not attractive, the team is going to take a step back and the ticket office is going to have to stick high prices on the single game tickets. This program is still in the process of building the fan base by selling to the casual fan and they may end up losing some with the pricing of tickets.
Yep...I don't mind if my season tix aren't a "deal" compared to the singles...I'd rather just see the place full...
1 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

Hi all,

There were a few items I wanted to address, but I had trouble with my log in, so my apologies.

In terms of announcing the staff, we are in a holding pattern for a variety of reasons, but the bottom line is that we can not officially announce for a little while. I assure you all, Coach Cox has his ducks in a row, but until a number of things are made official, we can not make it public. With the numbers of changes involved, the plan is to announce the entire staff at once.

In terms of the roster, there were several jersey numbers that I didn't have until this week. My preference is to not make a team roster active in the links until I have as complete a roster as possible. I got those numbers this week, and the roster links were updated accordingly. The main reason I do this is that it makes my job far more efficient and helps to eliminate mistakes.

In terms of the coaching staff, one of the posters above was 100 percent correct in that the 2017-18 roster listed the appropriate coaches for that season. Unfortunately for that particular piece of the site, I can't update the coach list until I am able to fully update the roster page. I couldn't change Dave to the head coach spot without impacting the historical archive, which obviously is important to keep intact. I get the frustrations expressed, but accuracy is the piece I am always going to be most concerned with.

There was one inaccuracy I want to address. There was a post that stated that Coach Hurley and Coach Moore were taken down from the site, and then added back in. I promise that never happened. On the site, there are multiple places the staff is listed. There is a page that lists the entire athletics staff. On this page, Coach Cox has been listed as the head coach since he was named. On this list, Coach Hurley and Coach Moore were removed when they departed. That page is independent from the roster page, which has had the 2017-18 staff listed intact until yesterday, when I was finally able to roll over to 2018-19.

I love the passion you all have, and I do understand a lot of the frustrations expressed. There are many times I wish we could put information out sooner, but it's not always possible.

This may not satisfy everyone, but hope the response helps in some way.

Shane
10 x
reckless jake
ARD

Shane D wrote:Hi all,

There were a few items I wanted to address, but I had trouble with my log in, so my apologies.

In terms of announcing the staff, we are in a holding pattern for a variety of reasons, but the bottom line is that we can not officially announce for a little while. I assure you all, Coach Cox has his ducks in a row, but until a number of things are made official, we can not make it public. With the numbers of changes involved, the plan is to announce the entire staff at once.

In terms of the roster, there were several jersey numbers that I didn't have until this week. My preference is to not make a team roster active in the links until I have as complete a roster as possible. I got those numbers this week, and the roster links were updated accordingly. The main reason I do this is that it makes my job far more efficient and helps to eliminate mistakes.

In terms of the coaching staff, one of the posters above was 100 percent correct in that the 2017-18 roster listed the appropriate coaches for that season. Unfortunately for that particular piece of the site, I can't update the coach list until I am able to fully update the roster page. I couldn't change Dave to the head coach spot without impacting the historical archive, which obviously is important to keep intact. I get the frustrations expressed, but accuracy is the piece I am always going to be most concerned with.

There was one inaccuracy I want to address. There was a post that stated that Coach Hurley and Coach Moore were taken down from the site, and then added back in. I promise that never happened. On the site, there are multiple places the staff is listed. There is a page that lists the entire athletics staff. On this page, Coach Cox has been listed as the head coach since he was named. On this list, Coach Hurley and Coach Moore were removed when they departed. That page is independent from the roster page, which has had the 2017-18 staff listed intact until yesterday, when I was finally able to roll over to 2018-19.

I love the passion you all have, and I do understand a lot of the frustrations expressed. There are many times I wish we could put information out sooner, but it's not always possible.

This may not satisfy everyone, but hope the response helps in some way.

Shane
Hey Shane-

Thanks for taking the time to provide that information regarding staff and roster. If you can provide any updated info regarding 18/19 schedule it would be greatly appreciated. Especially the Nevada game. Thanks!

PS: for those who may not know, "Shane D". Is Shane Donaldson, URI Athletic Department Media Relations.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thanks Shane. Is there a new anticipated date that the coaching staff will be announced?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would guess July 1st, start of the new fiscal year.

It would be nice if we could get an accurate update of the schedule situation too.
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

The full schedule should be any day now. There are a couple games contracts being finalized.

July 1 will be about right. With the staffing stuff, just about every position on the staff had to be posted and go through the proper state job search protocols. It wasn't just the two spots that opened when Coach Cox was hired and Coach Moore departed, but the support staff as well. Each hire is a long, tedious process.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thanks Shane! We should finally know about the Nevada game. I doubt if it's still on.....which sucks.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Shane D wrote:The full schedule should be any day now. There are a couple games contracts being finalized.

July 1 will be about right. With the staffing stuff, just about every position on the staff had to be posted and go through the proper state job search protocols. It wasn't just the two spots that opened when Coach Cox was hired and Coach Moore departed, but the support staff as well. Each hire is a long, tedious process.
Recognizing that outside of what we already know you're not able to identify teams by name, can you provide us with some sort of description of the upcoming OOC schedule? Are there Q1/Q2 games? Home? Away?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote:A couple mentions of Terrell’s pre-draft workouts, but not all of them. Zero mentions of EC’s team workouts.

People who have followed this program way longer than I have say that this lack of marketing, these missed opportunities, have always been the case. It’s frustrating when you check out what other teams are doing.
I feel so heard! Now do EC

3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Shane, any hints to what Mike Laprey was hinting to in this response to me in this post:

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... 56#p330556

(perhaps it was West Virginia?)

it would also be great to know what the original game that fell through was (neutral site at Nassau) that Mike said he "got a better one" for '18-'19".

Was West Va the "better one" and what was the original that fell through?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My new fav poster Shane D !! Lots of great info thanks
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Thanks to Shane D for coming here to address the masses......we appreciate it.....
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !