The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Character assasination? I was taught when I was young that “you are who you hang with...”

John Carroll is tied to TJ Gasnola who was a runner for agencies until he got pinched recently by The FBI! Wake up people, don’t be lemmings. There were better options and we went with the dirty option. I’ve also heard that Carroll is expected to be the TOP assistant... sounding like no more Sutton which if true is a MASSIVE mistake!
Carroll is not the top assistant. Where did you get that BS from? Sutton is absolutely the top Assistant.

Carroll coached 18 years in college and 7 with the Celtics. You only mention NE Playaz???
I do think the comparison of Cox and Rice is valid for Carroll and Gasnola.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

I never connected Cox with Rice, I would’ve been thrilled with Mike Rice instead of Carroll. Rice is a much better person than the media projects and Carroll is as slimey as Gassnola... be careful Rhody faithful... I pray y’all are right, as I’ve been a massive fan of David Cox since his days at Georgetown. I support DC, just don’t like the addition...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Nobody said you connected Cox and Rice, and the fact that you didn’t and wouldn’t is exactly the point. You’ve gone in on the guy both here and on twitter in a really aggressive way without offering anything in support of your opinion beyond his having worked for a bad guy. The same exact thing could have been said about Cox as he was leaving Rutgers. I’m assuming that there is more to your obviously strong feelings about Carroll than what you’ve said here - it would be completely illogical to hate a guy so much based only on what you’ve said here to validate that hatred - but I’m also assuming whatever it is, it is in some way personal. Because if it were legit, I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t explain it.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love the experience Carroll brings both college and pro

This sounds like a really good hire
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

NorthernRamFan wrote:I never connected Cox with Rice, I would’ve been thrilled with Mike Rice instead of Carroll. Rice is a much better person than the media projects and Carroll is as slimey as Gassnola... be careful Rhody faithful... I pray y’all are right, as I’ve been a massive fan of David Cox since his days at Georgetown. I support DC, just don’t like the addition...
Everybody is entitled to their opinions, glad we have a platform where all opinions are included and debated. I don’t know this situation at all so it’s good hearing multiple angles. Most national writers who have tweeted seem to not only like the hire for recruiting purposes but also coaching purposes. This hire seems like it put us above the 425k coaching pool cap everyone was so heated about, anybody know for sure?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When it comes to the Carroll hire I would trust coach Cox...I'm sure he knows what he's doing here.

I would also think that URI has vetted Carroll to Thorr's and Dooley's satisfaction.
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I wonder if any of these assistants are especially good developing bigs?
We could definitely use some development there. We have a young
front line outside of Akele and they all need work. If not Maybe hire
Murphy to work with them on a consulting basis.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't know much about Carroll at all, outside of remembering him from his NBA days, but Cox just doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to take any chances on a potentially shady assistant. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my gut reaction to it.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If it is Sutton, Carroll, Boswell, and TJ I think that is a home run.

I hope Cox lives up to his developer reputation and LAngevine comes back better and healthy with the rest of the veterans all taking a step forward to be a really good team. I'm really excited. However, if anyone has ever paid attention to my posts or predictions I am painfully optimistic going into games/seasons.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Generally like the hire but wonder how you go from C's to AAU.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Many wanted an older more experienced coach on staff to help first time head coach Cox. Carroll seems to more than fit that bill. He has quite the resume for an assistant college coach at a place like URI. Welcome aboard.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just sounds good hearing former Boston Celtics head coach even if it wasn't for long

He has valuable experience Cox can lean off him and pick his brain
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Subtle, but I think this clip shows the difference with Coach Cox. He is more engaging with the public and will include his players in everything he does with the public. I am not knocking Dan. This is just different. Last year Dan’s wife did this charity and the video clip was Dan ordering at the drive thru.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very nice to see , great clip
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote:Subtle, but I think this clip shows the difference with Coach Cox. He is more engaging with the public and will include his players in everything he does with the public. I am not knocking Dan. This is just different. Last year Dan’s wife did this charity and the video clip was Dan ordering at the drive thru. 21
I believe you’re misremembering a bit. That video with Andrea was from two years ago and also included Dan doing the very same thing Dave’s doing. I think almost everyone is pleased with the Cox hire. Will there be differences between the two? I certainly hope so, as I expect Dave to put his own stamp on the program. It’s his now. Remember in 2012? They had Dan traipsing all over the place- diners, rotary club meetings, library giving out pizza to uninterested students... anything to convince people that URI basketball still existed (diehards aside, y’all have always been there). Dave’s got it made compared to that ;) He’s going to evolve into his role, realize you can’t always do everything that you want (Dan and Bobby wanted students behind the bench from day 1 but nope) and figure it out. I expect them to be conference champs in 2020.
6 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Ace is correct......Dan did all this stuff too......
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote:Ace is correct......Dan did all this stuff too......
I think Dan built it (and did whatever he needed to build it). Cox comes across more genuine to me. Maybe because he is soft spoken. Dan is more intense. When Coach Cox went to every person at the year end celebration at our table he asked about them. I think he will be more engaging and will have the players more involved with him. Just my opinion.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

They have different personalities... both still genuine. Suffice it to say some will like Dan's personality more, some will like David's more, some will like both and be glad we have had two great men lead the program.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah we are in great shape DH laid the foundation and Cox will maintain continuity and hopefully keep making this program better and better
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So the Carroll news broke 8 days ago but still hasn't been confirmed by URI. I assume they're waiting to announce the new staff all at the same time?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

probably the new fiscal year that starts july 1
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

twisted3829 wrote:probably the new fiscal year that starts july 1
I believe Sutton and Carroll will be effective June 1st.

Not an active recruiting period in May. Delaying helped them increase the annual pay for both. Sutton was still being paid by Pitt until the end of May.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Didn't know where to put this. It's the Projo 2018 Reader's ChoicePoll. I am shocked..
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... mode=image
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Musn’t Have polled the RI General assembly!
0 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

Billyboy78 wrote:Didn't know where to put this. It's the Projo 2018 Reader's ChoicePoll. I am shocked..
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... mode=image
Welcome to RhodyVille AKA State of Rhody, RamCity, RamVille, RhodyCity...you get the point.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Need to somehow get that tweeted by a national guy.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bryant with what 3 wins all season gets 3rd over Brown? Whut?

Nice to be first though.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Disappointed in Thorr. When Thorr announced that David Cox would be the next HC, he said that the program enhancements offered to keep Dan were still on the table but he wanted to meet with Coach Cox to understand his priorities (like that didn’t come up in the interview). That was April 6th (closing in on 2 months ago). They had great excitement with the fan base and are losing that momentum. Several of the items would help in recruiting - more concrete plans on practice facility, charter flights, more $ for assistants (more likely to stay). The ‘19 recruits are narrowing their choices and some are already making verbal commitments now. Unofficial visits are happening in June. We haven’t even announced a hiring for the two open assistant positions. I believe the delay in hiring the two assistants is now a cost saving measure.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There are only a few possible explanations:

1. Thorr forgot he was the athletic director and there are things to do.

2. Thorr has been on a mental vacation and just hasn’t felt like doing anything.

3. There is a plan in place to maximize the resources at the basketball program’s disposal in the way they feel will most benefit the program based on their grasp of all available information, and at this point that plan has not required any public pronouncements on the topics you’ve highlighted.

As a fan who wants something juicy every news cycle, I get that the lull can lead to frustration. I relate. But I think the most likely scenario is #3, so whether or not you’re comfortable with that comes down to whether you trust Thorr and his team and think they’re competent. I can only speak for myself, but I do trust them.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do hope all the program enhancements come to fruition

We can't lose any of the momentum coming off winning a game in the NCAAs 2 years in a row
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Money can be tight at the end of a fiscal year. Departing staff must be paid for accrued vacation and sick time which are unanticipated expenses in addition to salary owed to the end of their contracts (unless they resign). Departments do not have money sitting around at the end of the fiscal year or they will lose it. Most departments have their budgets fully committed by the end of February. Thorr's options are limited.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody72 wrote:Money can be tight at the end of a fiscal year. Departing staff must be paid for accrued vacation and sick time which are unanticipated expenses in addition to salary owed to the end of their contracts (unless they resign). Departments do not have money sitting around at the end of the fiscal year or they will lose it. Most departments have their budgets fully committed by the end of February. Thorr's options are limited.
For the enhancements we are talking about announcing plans for the upcoming year. They don’t spend the money until they take the flights or start the renovation.

For coaches’ pay you do realize the MBB had the following unexpected savings in this fiscal year:
1) Savings from Hurley resigning the end of March
2) Savings from Tom Moore resiging the end of March
3) Savings from Eric resiging the end of March
4) Savings from Tripp resiging the end of March
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:There are only a few possible explanations:

2. Thorr has been on a mental vacation and just hasn’t felt like doing anything.

3. There is a plan in place to maximize the resources at the basketball program’s disposal in the way they feel will most benefit the program based on their grasp of all available information, and at this point that plan has not required any public pronouncements on the topics you’ve highlighted.

As a fan who wants something juicy every news cycle, I get that the lull can lead to frustration. I relate. But I think the most likely scenario is #3, so whether or not you’re comfortable with that comes down to whether you trust Thorr and his team and think they’re competent. I can only speak for myself, but I do trust them.
What scares me about Thorr is constantly hearing from Dan that they need to increase the Ast Coaches’ salary pool and doing next to nothing about it. There was no increase in Dan’s last extension. The 6% increase for next year is a joke. He can say one thing but his actions (6%) and inactions speak louder than his press conferences. You missed a few others in your list. 4) Big donors promised money to get Dan to stay but aren’t contributing without Dan here. 5) Not spending the money on MBB but using the money to support other sports (the allocation to all the sports of the MBB NCAA Tournament money is an example). The responsibility of marketing and promotion falls under Thorr. If he was doing a good job with that the public would know and be excited about the plans with the MBB. It would lead to increased season tickets, increased donations and help Coach Cox with recruiting. Lastly, if people think missing two Ast Coaches and one/two other staff for two months has no impact you are fooling yourself.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The big donors have a wait and see attitude about Cox. If he's the real deal, they will increase their contributions.

Yes money is going to other sports from the NCAA proceeds, but not all of it.

The assistants have been here and have been working for a while...so no big impact imo.

Your 1st point, yes, the 6% increase is a joke, but do we know if they increased the pool? We should know by July 1st, when the new contracts are made public.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:There are only a few possible explanations:

What scares me about Thorr is constantly hearing from Dan that they need to increase the Ast Coaches’ salary pool and doing next to nothing about it. There was no increase in Dan’s last extension. The 6% increase for next year is a joke. He can say one thing but his actions (6%) and inactions speak louder than his press conferences. You missed a few others in your list. 4) Big donors promised money to get Dan to stay but aren’t contributing without Dan here. 5) Not spending the money on MBB but using the money to support other sports (the allocation to all the sports of the MBB NCAA Tournament money is an example). The responsibility of marketing and promotion falls under Thorr. If he was doing a good job with that the public would know and be excited about the plans with the MBB. It would lead to increased season tickets, increased donations and help Coach Cox with recruiting. Lastly, if people think missing two Ast Coaches and one/two other staff for two months has no impact you are fooling yourself.
I don't know how (4) would make you disappointed at Thorr, though. Donors will eventually come thru with the money - as rambone said, they seem to have a wait-and-see attitude. That is unfortunate and frustrating, because this is a time when the program could really benefit from the support, but I have confidence that this staff and group of players will get the financial support engines firing again soon.

As far as (5), judging from Thorr's public statements and the athletic department's expenditures during his tenure as AD, I think he clearly gets that URI is a "basketball school" and needs to allocate his resources accordingly. But he cannot just let the other programs starve - a big reason for the investment in the basketball program is to try to produce revenues that are badly needed by the athletic department at large. Investing in the basketball program is a strategy intended to lift the athletic programs at URI, not just the basketball program. So no doubt that they understand that continued investment in the basketball program is vital, but you cannot just completely ignore your other sports. You have a responsibility to them, also.

The marketing stuff...I think we all agree that URI is playing that game left handed with its right arm voluntarily tied behind its back. We are just bad at it, and it definitely puts us at a disadvantage in terms of growing the brand. It is frustrating as hell, but it is hardly surprising. It has always been this way - in fact, I think it is better now than it has ever been, but that is not saying much at all.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

3 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TP regarding your responses to 4 & 5 above.
Disappointment in Thorr for #4 for two reasons - he flat out said that all of the enhancements to the MBB that were offered to keep Dan will still be in place going forward. If that isn’t the case due to lack of financial support, he lied. Secondly, if this is the case it is disappointing that our AD couldn’t convince the donors to still support these enhancements.

Regarding #5 it is all to what degree. If he funnels too much money to other sports that prevents him from funding the MBB enhancements, I will be disappointed.

Let’s not forget that URI Athletics is about to get a check for $1.25 million from UCONN and Dan Hurley by June 21st.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Not sure if this is out there yet, but URI's new video coordinator is Ryan McCloskey. Replaces Tripp Doherty.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Got his bachelors and masters from Florida, worked on the USA basketball support staff for a year, was the video coordinator at Florida for 3 years and a grad assistant at Florida for a year and a half. The USA basketball position overlapped with his time as video coordinator at Florida, must have been brought in by Donovan. This means he also would have worked with UMass coach Matt McCall while McCall was an assistant.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Impressive staff assembled by Cox. Retained all the key players. Have to say its been a good opening chapter in the Dave Cox at URI book.
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Sort of wish that website never existed. Living trophies? Really? I have no doubt this guy is going to do great but that website reeks of pretentiousness.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It's June! Hello! Does URI have a staff?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Not a useful post, Iggy. Come on, man. You know who the staff is, but the average KB reader may be confused by reading your post, triggering rounds of useless posts.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

ATPTourFan wrote:Not a useful post, Iggy. Come on, man. You know who the staff is, but the average KB reader may be confused by reading your post, triggering rounds of useless posts.
To Iggy's larger point; call it marketing, PR, salesmanship, whatever you like but URI athletic department does a terrible job of promoting itself and keeping the interest level high in the basketball program, which is especially important for the casual fan who has a lot of teams competing for his interest and his money.

The reality of sports marketing is that there is no off season.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They should take this down or at least put Dave in the correct spot

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017-18/roster
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Doesn’t URI have a marketing major? If so then why is this so hard? This is REAL WORLD experience on their doorstep, shouldn’t be this hard.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Several URI players and cheer squad doing local community service:

0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

ace wrote:They should take this down or at least put Dave in the correct spot

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017-18/roster
Absolutely agree! This should've been corrected soon after the David Cox announcement. If you have to update it several times so be it. But to not update it should embarrass someone.
0 x