The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote:Not being critical and wasn’t complaining. He did say he was “in a bit of a fog the first 10 days”. I like Coach Cox a lot. I was just making a few observations. I was at his Press Conference and at the End of Year Celebration. His comments seemed different in this interview.
“I felt like he didn’t feel prepared to be a HC” is highly critical. He’s allowed to be human, this isn’t like taking over at Bryant, this is a big time leap, allow him time to gain his footing....fully.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83 wrote:It is a little concerning that Cox was overwhelmed for three weeks. Maybe because they were short a recruiter. But he didn’t mention that as the reason.
I felt like he didn’t sound as prepared to be the HC in this interview as much as he has in this other public speaking engagements and interviews.
DC, I feel that leaving off the end of the sentence that you quoted “as much as he has in his other public speaking engagements and interviews” changed the meaning of the point I was making. If you interpreted it as highly critical that was not my intention. I made about 4 observations that I found in the interview and this was just one of them.

I think Coach Cox is being given time to move into the HC position. He is the coach that a significant majority of us (myself included) wanted Thorr to hire. If Thorr hired someone else what do you think the reaction of this Board would be regarding the two open Ast coaching positions and the lack of updates on scheduling?

I like Dave Cox the person much more than I liked Dan Hurley.
I am looking forward to November.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

He's going to be a bit extra stressed until he gets through the first of each of his functions as HC, absolutely nothing to read into or worry about, it's how a person responds to stress and challenges that matters. It is supposed to take some time getting comfortable in a new role, consider that DC hasn't missed a beat and isn't even feeling his footing yet, that is a good sign. Once he's fully comfortable as head guy, look out A10, NCAA's, Rhody Rams are gonna slice you up!!
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

To quote a Southern friend of mine "Some of Ya'll need to take a Xanax."
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Are we really waiting on June 1st to hire both new Assistants? We have to be the only Top 50 D1 team that still has two open Assistant positions. I understand the hold up on Sutton (if the 3 1/2 week timeframe I was told holds up he would be hired May 18 or May 21). On his radio show Coach Cox said he had 5 candidates and would hire one in 2 weeks for the final spot. The show was May 2nd so tomorrow would be 2 weeks. Would expect that position to be filled by Friday or Monday as well. I hope this isn’t a cost savings move by Thorr to delay the hirings until June 1.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does anybody have a clue as to who that 3rd assistant might be?
0 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Is TJ Sorrentine still a possibility? There was a lot of talk about him earlier, does anyone have any insight on this? How about Glen Miller?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote:Are we really waiting on June 1st to hire both new Assistants? We have to be the only Top 50 D1 team that still has two open Assistant positions. I understand the hold up on Sutton (if the 3 1/2 week timeframe I was told holds up he would be hired May 18 or May 21). On his radio show Coach Cox said he had 5 candidates and would hire one in 2 weeks for the final spot. The show was May 2nd so tomorrow would be 2 weeks. Would expect that position to be filled by Friday or Monday as well. I hope this isn’t a cost savings move by Thorr to delay the hirings until June 1.
What Difference does it make? Happy to hear he’s doing his due diligence. There is NO RUSH. We have the top spot filled and he’s already on the trail...quietly, but he’s working. The third assistant slot is being handled by TJ for now, so any other third assistant would not likely be any more or less effective as TJ has been.
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I am not worried at all about the delays we know Sutton is on the way and it's the quiet time of year so no need to hit the panic button
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

No panic button hit. It is a slow time of the year. Please don’t think that three people can do the work of five people when the norm is for five people to work a crazy number of hours every week. TJ has a job that he was promoted to and that needs to be done as well.

When do the players return? Session 1 of Summer classes start Monday, May 21. I saw an Instagram post from Omar that said he was off to college on Sunday and didn’t know when he would see his friends again.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Soo I’ve heard a list:

Matt Henry - Marist
Mike Babul - Wagner
John Carrol - New England Playaz
Jeff Rafferty - NJIT
TJ Sorrentine - Brown

I’ve also heard it’s between Carroll, Sorrentine and Babul. I’ve recently changed my mind and feel that Babul would be the ideal guy for the job. He’s hungry, connected, and able to make a clean transition from the board to the streets and back. We need a guy like Babul!

Carroll comes from an AAU program bogged down by turmoil and the Cloud of the NCAA Scandal hangs heavy as he’s highly connected to Gatto and TJ Gasnola... JOHN CARROLL is NOT the guy, Thor needs to intervene here. IMO!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is this the Babul that played for UMass ??

I be cool with him or Sorrentine
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

My top choices would be Rafferty and then Babul.Carroll seems on the older side for this slot. Cox and Henry crossed paths at Georgetown so that might give him an edge. I like TJ but recruiting Ivy players is different than recruiting A10
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Babul is a great guy and has been a solid part of Mason’s success. I’d love for them to hire another Wagner coach. Worked out well the last time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Don't forget the connection Babul has with Thor. Babul played at UMass when Thor was working in some capacity in the athletic department there. He wasn't the AD yet, but obviously there is 4 year connection between the two.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I totally forgot that Carroll was the head coach of the Celtics for a short time.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

That's the same Carroll? I didn't make the connection.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Don't forget the connection Babul has with Thor. Babul played at UMass when Thor was working in some capacity in the athletic department there. He wasn't the AD yet, but obviously there is 4 year connection between the two.
Fyi, Thorr was never the AD at UMass. He worked for the AD in one of the Associate AD roles.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Don't forget the connection Babul has with Thor. Babul played at UMass when Thor was working in some capacity in the athletic department there. He wasn't the AD yet, but obviously there is 4 year connection between the two.
Fyi, Thorr was never the AD at UMass. He worked for the AD in one of the Associate AD roles.
He was an interim AD for a year or two.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Is this the Babul that played for UMass ??

I be cool with him or Sorrentine

Yes - UMass Class of 2000. His twin brother Jon played at Georgia Tech. Babul is a North Attleborough native with Pawtucket family roots. Has worked for many coaches associated with UMass including Calpiari, Flint, and Barbee.

Babul Bio on Wagner site:
https://www.wagnerathletics.com/coaches ... ath=mbball
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Another piece to the puzzle. Good move.
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

NorthernRamFan wrote:Soo I’ve heard a list:

Matt Henry - Marist
Mike Babul - Wagner
John Carrol - New England Playaz
Jeff Rafferty - NJIT
TJ Sorrentine - Brown

I’ve also heard it’s between Carroll, Sorrentine and Babul. I’ve recently changed my mind and feel that Babul would be the ideal guy for the job. He’s hungry, connected, and able to make a clean transition from the board to the streets and back. We need a guy like Babul!

Carroll comes from an AAU program bogged down by turmoil and the Cloud of the NCAA Scandal hangs heavy as he’s highly connected to Gatto and TJ Gasnola... JOHN CARROLL is NOT the guy, Thor needs to intervene here. IMO!
Welp.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Love the move.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83 wrote: .... I understand the hold up on Sutton (if the 3 1/2 week timeframe I was told holds up he would be hired May 18 or May 21). On his radio show Coach Cox said he had 5 candidates and would hire one in 2 weeks for the final spot. The show was May 2nd so tomorrow would be 2 weeks. Would expect that position to be filled by Friday or Monday as well.....
Carroll should be announced tomorrow or Monday.
Staying on schedule Sutton should be announced Monday.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

So I am clear, the hire of Carroll doesn't impact the hiring of Kevin Sutton?

The hiring of Carroll is an additional hire, correct?
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

lol, looks like I have my answer in the post right above mine.
0 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Are we currently recruiting any NE Playaz players in the 2019 class?
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Carroll was the head basketball coach at Bloomfield College in Bloomfield, New Jersey from 1979 to 1982. The Deacons were 42–38 under Carroll and advanced to the NAIA District Finals twice in three seasons. He went on to become an assistant coach at Seton Hall University under P. J. Carlesimo for seven seasons before becoming the head basketball coach for Duquesne University from 1989 to 1995. He compiled a 73–98 career record with one winning season, in 1993–94, when the Dukes went 17–13 overall and 8–8 in the Atlantic 10 Conference. They earned a trip to the National Invitation Tournament (NIT), where they beat UNC Charlotte in the first round but lost to Villanova in second round. Carroll was the Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year for the 1990–91 season after leading the Dukes to a 10–8 conference record.

Carroll now coaches for the New England Playaz AAU program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carroll_(basketball)

Looks like my dad should/may know him. Hmmm, I'll have to call him today.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Regarding kids who play for New England Playaz....they cannot be signed for one year after Carroll is hired? Is that the rule? Because I imagine we will be involved with some of their kids eventually, as we have been with Expressions and Ty.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Not a ton recently on Coach Carroll. Here is one thing:

http://bedford.wickedlocal.com/article/ ... /140639787

Here is one from further back:

http://www.celticslife.com/2009/09/coac ... e-doc.html

Here is his wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carroll_(basketball)

This hire is interesting to me because typically when you hear "AAU coach" you think of a young guy looking to get into the college game and presumably exchanging his rolodex of grassroots connections for the opportunity (a la Ty Boswell). But here, Coach Carroll is more in the mold of a veteran coach with a lot of basketball coaching miles on his odometer - yes, most recently at the AAU level but he's been both a head and assistant coach in the NBA and for college programs on the east coast. That he would bring connections to a top tier AAU program is really just a bonus, from that perspective. I'd consider this a home run.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

New England Playaz is now Team New England. I don't know if it was just a rebranding or if its an entirely new program.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:New England Playaz is now Team New England. I don't know if it was just a rebranding or if its an entirely new program.
Just rebranding leaving the sleazeball TJ Gasnola. This is not a good hire for anyone who understands today’s hoopers. This guy is a screamer who isn’t respected by the kids he coaches...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
URIRecruitingInfo wrote:New England Playaz is now Team New England. I don't know if it was just a rebranding or if its an entirely new program.
Just rebranding leaving the sleazeball TJ Gasnola. This is not a good hire for anyone who understands today’s hoopers. This guy is a screamer who isn’t respected by the kids he coaches...
No offense, but it sounds like you have ax to grind. I haven't seen anyone anywhere saying anything close to what you're saying here. If you have support for it, I'm open to it. But on paper this is an excellent hire, and one guy on a message board going character assassination on the coach isn't enough to convince me otherwise.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
He’s not boss hog here either, i’d expect Cox to temper him if need be. I’d also be inclined to say Cox knows more about “today’s hoopers” than anyone on the KB message boards.
0 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

https://hoopdirt.com/uri-dirt-2/

No surprise but good to hear we now know who our staff will be. Hoop Dirt is reporting that Kevin Sutton will join John Carroll as the other assistant.

Head Coach- David Cox
Assistant Coach- Kevin Sutton
Assistant Coach- John Carroll
Assistant Coach- Ty Boswell
Director of Basketball Operations- TJ Buchanan

I have heard the same thing with Carroll being a bit wild but I think he will fit the role as an assistant coach well.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Cox hinted at this at end of year dinner. I thought I was going one way (young guy) but now i might go the other way (experience)
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Playaz has been sending kids to Notre Dame recently. Maybe some start coming our way. Two of their top players last year, Chris Doherty (who we were recruiting, and many wanted) and Nate Laszewski, are both going to ND. Chris Herren also plays for them.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Playaz has been sending kids to Notre Dame recently. Maybe some start coming our way. Two of their top players last year, Chris Doherty (who we were recruiting, and many wanted) and Nate Laszewski, are both going to ND. Chris Herren also plays for them.
Also the kid Kisunas, who recently decommit from UConn.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
No offense, but it sounds like you have ax to grind. I haven't seen anyone anywhere saying anything close to what you're saying here. If you have support for it, I'm open to it. But on paper this is an excellent hire, and one guy on a message board going character assassination on the coach isn't enough to convince me otherwise.
Character assasination? I was taught when I was young that “you are who you hang with...”

John Carroll is tied to TJ Gasnola who was a runner for agencies until he got pinched recently by The FBI! Wake up people, don’t be lemmings. There were better options and we went with the dirty option. I’ve also heard that Carroll is expected to be the TOP assistant... sounding like no more Sutton which if true is a MASSIVE mistake!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep I’m a bit puzzled by this move. Cox is real solid tho so I have to think he’s got a plan here....

Long time ago but don’t I recall this guy losing his mind a few times in Keaney vs our Rams. It all runs together have to check with some others....and hunt YouTube.

People change too, heck I went Bobby Knight on the sidelines couple times back in the day.

:)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
Character assasination? I was taught when I was young that “you are who you hang with...”

John Carroll is tied to TJ Gasnola who was a runner for agencies until he got pinched recently by The FBI! Wake up people, don’t be lemmings. There were better options and we went with the dirty option. I’ve also heard that Carroll is expected to be the TOP assistant... sounding like no more Sutton which if true is a MASSIVE mistake!
I hear you on Gasnola, but I never saw Carroll’s name come up anywhere in any of the stories about Gasnola’s misdeeds. If Carroll were linked directly to any of the stuff that went on there, then I missed it. Absent any evidence suggesting otherwise, and going solely on resume, I like the hire. Like I said before, my mind is open here because before today I hadn’t spent more than 30 seconds of my life thinking about John Carroll. But without anything more than guilty-by-association, the resume works for me. I also agree that if they went with Carroll over Sutton then that is worth discussing if they made a mistake, but from everything I understand the Sutton thing has been done and he has been more or less working here for a month, so that would be pretty surprising.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:

You seem to be the only one concerned. Moving along...Sutton and Carroll are both on board.

Associating Carroll with all that is or was wrong with Playaz is like lumping Cox in with the turmoil that happened with DC assault. Maybe Carroll wanted out so he could come from under that negative light. Either way, his experience and roots are invaluable.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Or blaming Cox for Mike Rice
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote:Or blaming Cox for Mike Rice
Exactly.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the hire of a Carroll a lot. This guy has tons of experience he was the asst to PJ and was a hair from winning the Title in 89 then he was interim coach for a couple months with the Celts
Cox can lean on this guy for advice
I freakin love this staff it's got everything Cox Carroll Sutton Ty and TJ that's a staff baby !!!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Your point NRF? Gassnola is scum. End of story.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Didn't see Carroll's name in that article, so what's the point? I don't have any say on these hires as they are names I haven't heard of. I just know DC was handed a team with two NCAAT appearances and a top 30 recruiting class. I expect this team to be in the mix this year.
1 x