The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

DC_Rams wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:Should I start posting friar tweets?
Yes, if any of their players transfer or there is other roster news. Same with any A-10 team. If people are going to get upset that there will be some level of tracking what goes on with Dan's UConn program, they should get over it soon or prepare themselves to deal with it. Personally, I'm not even going to feign an apology over being interested in it. I am interested in how he does at UConn, which makes UConn personnel news relevant to me.
Then perhaps a thread dedicated to the Hurley/UCONN Watch should be created. Personally love your insights, but the Hurley banter should be siphoned elsewhere to those that care. That’s all I request.
I strongly endorse this suggestion and hope other members will chime in as well in support of a Hurley thread that can be ignored.

Constant Hurley love/hate is certainly getting in the way of my enjoyment reading the forums. I’d like to escape it.

Cheers!

Let’s Go Rhody

uConn? Meh.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

hrstrat57 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Yes, if any of their players transfer or there is other roster news. Same with any A-10 team. If people are going to get upset that there will be some level of tracking what goes on with Dan's UConn program, they should get over it soon or prepare themselves to deal with it. Personally, I'm not even going to feign an apology over being interested in it. I am interested in how he does at UConn, which makes UConn personnel news relevant to me.
Then perhaps a thread dedicated to the Hurley/UCONN Watch should be created. Personally love your insights, but the Hurley banter should be siphoned elsewhere to those that care. That’s all I request.
I strongly endorse this suggestion and hope other members will chime in as well in support of a Hurley thread that can be ignored.

Constant Hurley love/hate is certainly getting in the way of my enjoyment reading the forums. I’d like to escape it.

Cheers!

Let’s Go Rhody

uConn? Meh.
all for a thread that can be ignored. Call it Penders 2.0
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

Cheers!

Let’s Go Rhody

uConn? Meh.
all for a thread that can be ignored. Call it Penders 2.0
That’s the point, I want to actually read this thread when thread specific info is in it.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote:

Green will not be transferring to LaSalle

0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

theblueram wrote: WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT uconn DOES?
*Slowly raises hand* I do

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Sophomore 6-7 Forward Jalen Johnson, who has started regularly since the middle of his freshman season, announced on Twitter on Friday that he is transferring from St. Louis University.

Johnson averaged 9.1 points and was second on the team with 52 3-pointers last season. He started 24 of 33 games and played 27 minutes per game.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/ ... paign=dlvr
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A third UMass player (along with Chris Baldwin and Malik Hines) will transfer:

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Found this elsewhere:

A-10 Transfer Info as of 05-11-18:

TRANSFERS OUT (28)

SBU: Gueye (to Texas Rio Grande), Izaiah Brockington (to Penn State)

Dayton: Miller to College of Charleston; Xeyrius Williams to Akron, John Crosby, Jordan Pierce, Matej Svoboda (going pro), Kostas Antetokounmpo (going pro)

Duquesne: Tydus Verhoven, Tarin Smith (to UConn), Marko Kravacevic (to Indiana,PA) Nicholas Kratholm

Fordham: Perris Hicks, Joseph Chartouny (to Marquette), Tre Evans (to SW OKlahoma St), Cavit Havsa(to Utah State)

GW: Jair Bolden

UMass: Malik Hines, Chris Baldwin, Rayshawn Miller

Richmond: Khwan Fore (to Tenn), A J Ford

SJU: Gerald Blount

SLU: Graves (to NC Central), Markos Psimitis, Jalen Johnson

VCU: Tyler Maye, Lewis Djonkam

TRANSFERS IN (* immediately eligible)

Dayton: Ibi Watson (G) from Michigan (2.2ppg), Rodney Chatman (G) from Chattanooga (13.3ppg)

LaSalle: David Beatty (G) from So. Carolina (3ppg)

Richmond: Blake Francis (G) from Wagner (17.3ppg)

SBU: Bobby Planutis (F) from Mt. St. Marys (5.6 ppg)

SJU: Ryan Daly (G) from Delaware (17.5ppg)

VCU: Michael Gilmore* (F) from Fl. Gulf Coast (6.5ppg)
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

everyone has either someone in or someone out except URI and Davidson
2 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

twisted3829 wrote:everyone has either someone in or someone out except URI and Davidson
This kind of surprises me, in a good way. Who were our last transfers out? Reischelle, Minnis and/or Butler?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Dayton is so screwed.
1 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

twisted3829 wrote:everyone has either someone in or someone out except URI and Davidson
And I would not have predicted this knowing there was a coaching change. Pretty remarkable.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

SGreenwell wrote:
This kind of surprises me, in a good way. Who were our last transfers out? Reischelle, Minnis and/or Butler?
I think you're right, I was thinking Butler, not sure if they all left the same year
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just imagine the number of transfers in the A-10 once the new rules making it easier go into effect.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I also don't see GMU or LaSalle on the list either unless I missed them. Still, 10 out of 14 A10 teams had at least 1 transfer out.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

twisted3829 wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:
I think you're right, I was thinking Butler, not sure if they all left the same year

Reischelle, Minnis, and Butler all transferred out after the 2014-15 season. They were the last scholarship players to do so. Jarrelle and Biggie graduated URI that year while Butler was the last scholarship player to transfer prior to graduating. Unless something unexpected happens, URI will not have had a transfer out for three straight years. That is almost unheard of in college hoops these days.

Link:
Report: Jarelle Reischel, Biggie Minnis and Matt Butler leaving URI
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... aving-uri/
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When did Aaman leave?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:When did Aaman leave?

His last season at URI was 2013-14. If I recall correctly, his basketball career at URI was ended because of health reasons as URI doctors would not clear him for play due to his concussion history.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

That's correct, we wouldn't clear him and he found another school that would.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

RF1 wrote: Reischelle, Minnis, and Butler all transferred out after the 2014-15 season. They were the last scholarship players to do so. Jarrelle and Biggie graduated URI that year while Butler was the last scholarship player to transfer prior to graduating. Unless something unexpected happens, URI will not have had a transfer out for three straight years. That is almost unheard of in college hoops these days.

Link:
Yup, this is very impressive, we were even able to maintain through a coaching change. Something going right in terms of the "culture" of the program, which I'm sure comes of the contributions of many people (most of all DH), but I'd give a big pat on the back to Thorr and Dooley for the sea-change in culture.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Running Ram wrote:
RF1 wrote: Reischelle, Minnis, and Butler all transferred out after the 2014-15 season. They were the last scholarship players to do so. Jarrelle and Biggie graduated URI that year while Butler was the last scholarship player to transfer prior to graduating. Unless something unexpected happens, URI will not have had a transfer out for three straight years. That is almost unheard of in college hoops these days.

Link:
Yup, this is very impressive, we were even able to maintain through a coaching change. Something going right in terms of the "culture" of the program, which I'm sure comes of the contributions of many people (most of all DH), but I'd give a big pat on the back to Thorr and Dooley for the sea-change in culture.

While the administration and coaching staff should get credit, do not underestimate the players role in this. They seem to really get along well with one another. They are their own family. I think the bond they have makes it tough to leave.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You can have all the positives that URI has going on and still have players transfer due to lack of playing time (transferring to a lower level D1). It is surprising that Tertsea and Layssard haven’t transferred.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Retaining players starts with recruiting, and the lack of transfers was something Dan and the staff took a lot of pride in. There are a lot of players like EC and Hassan that would have bolted after their first year. Wrong thread for this probably, but Dowtin and Fatts, along with Langevine, are really going to have to assert themselves to make sure that culture continues from the players’ side next season.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:Retaining players starts with recruiting, and the lack of transfers was something Dan and the staff took a lot of pride in. There are a lot of players like EC and Hassan that would have bolted after their first year. Wrong thread for this probably, but Dowtin and Fatts, along with Langevine, are really going to have to assert themselves to make sure that culture continues from the players’ side next season.
Agree, Dan built the true family culture.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

7 foot 3 can he walk and chew gum at the same time ???
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Blake Vedder?

Here is some reaction and speculation after he was dismissed in December from the team:
http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/thread/3 ... georgetown
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Read he is looking at Uconn and St John's among others. But Uconn doesn't have any scholarships left for 18-19. Leading scorer at Auburn last year. Rhode Island is close to home. Any chance? Anyone have any info?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Is he Jordanesque ? Is he immediately eligible for one year ?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Did some quick research.....6'5" guard averaged 16+ per game....entered the draft but didn't hire an agent....withdrew his name.....wants to come closer to his home in West Haven Ct.........mom seems legitimately sick.....may qualify for a hardship waiver to get closer to home......a Conn resident so maybe he pays his own way as an in-state student at UConn to avoid the scholarship numbers problem....

....Would probably piss off Brendan Adams even more......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Here is a stretch.........

He is a good student, maybe Yale, three miles away with an academic scholarship.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Don't you need a certain number of credits to graduate from a school? Thought it was 60. So how can you transfer as a senior and graduate at that school? I would have loved to spend 3 years at URI and transfer to Yale as a senior and graduate with an Ivy degree.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

He graduated Sacred Heart H.S. in Waterbury in 2016..............He has two years left.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The rules don't apply to rich people and star athletes.....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CTRamfan wrote:He graduated Sacred Heart H.S. in Waterbury in 2016..............He has two years left.

He committed as a Junior?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:Don't you need a certain number of credits to graduate from a school? Thought it was 60. So how can you transfer as a senior and graduate at that school? I would have loved to spend 3 years at URI and transfer to Yale as a senior and graduate with an Ivy degree.
You do need 60 credits to graduate from most colleges.
Who says a player has to graduate in 4 years? Many players have taken 5 years to graduate.
This kid still has two more years of eligibility any way.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Tweets are saying SJU
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He just finished his sophomore year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think if Hurley was more patient he could've gotten better transfers
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:I think if Hurley was more patient he could've gotten better transfers
Not sure that should’ve been (or was?) the goal, though. The Heron situation is highly unusual, almost no one gets that hardship waiver anymore. If Vital goes pro then maybe it makes sense to take a regular transfer, but once Adams said he was coming back, I think they needed immediate help. When guys can go from Albany to Villanova, Smith and Yakwe seem serviceable as grad transfers and only take roster spots for a year. They seemed to invest their time in re-recruiting the current roster (everyone stayed, as Larrier was going pro regardless) and getting started with 2019. Unless a previous relationship exists and the players are known to the staff, regular transfers can be a risk. They take a spot for a year where they can’t contribute and then you’re locked into them.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

You mention the risk but not the potential benefits. Transfers can make a team better; we've all seen that. Hurley went conservative - little risk but little benefit. I thought he'd bring in more talent.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:You mention the risk but not the potential benefits. Transfers can make a team better; we've all seen that. Hurley went conservative - little risk but little benefit. I thought he'd bring in more talent.
Of course there are benefits. I watched KI and Stan and maybe even Biruta along with the rest of you. I don’t think it’s a conincidence that the better transfers (as opposed to Biggie and Jarelle, for example) came later in the process.

My main point, which I started my comment with, was why target sit-out transfers given their specific current situation? They had just three open spots and needed some immediate help to go along with a few decent core players- including their best player who could be a conference player of the year and has just one year left. They’ll have at least 4, and probably more, roster spots at the end of next season. They can sell 19s on playing time and, with greater roster flexibility and time together as a staff, maybe target a transfer or two then. That’s when it makes sense to me, not this recruiting cycle, especially given the late start.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:You mention the risk but not the potential benefits. Transfers can make a team better; we've all seen that. Hurley went conservative - little risk but little benefit. I thought he'd bring in more talent.
Of course there are benefits. I watched KI and Stan and maybe even Biruta along with the rest of you. I don’t think it’s a conincidence that the better transfers (as opposed to Biggie and Jarelle, for example) came later in the process.

My main point, which I started my comment with, was why target sit-out transfers given their specific current situation? They had just three open spots and needed some immediate help to go along with a few decent core players- including their best player who could be a conference player of the year and has just one year left. They’ll have at least 4, and probably more, roster spots at the end of next season. They can sell 19s on playing time and, with greater roster flexibility and time together as a staff, maybe target a transfer or two then. That’s when it makes sense to me, not this recruiting cycle, especially given the late start.
UConn fans are not patient. Win now or else. They expect national championships there, and Dan had better get one in 2 or 3 years.
1 x