Fleming/Thorr Disgrace regarding Dino Boyd

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Fleming/Thorr Disgrace regarding Dino Boyd

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Dino Boyd, 3 year starting OT, who will be graduating this May, has sent a tweet to the NCAA asking fo their help because URI - meaning Fleming with Thorr's approval has denied his release to play elsewhere as a graduate student. Last year Fleming / Thorr attempted to rescind Dave Steinmetz's scholarship when he announced he was going to play elsewhere for his 5th year. The year before that they attempted to rescind Tyler Catalina's scholarship. Thankfully both of these decisions were overturned by appeal. I am guessing Dino noticed that both Steinmetz and Catalina have signed NFL contracts and that he would like to follow their lead. I wish every URI football player wanted to play their entire career in Kingston. But clearly they don't and that problem lies at the feet of Fleming. These kids have done everything that has been asked of them - working hard enough to each be 3 year starters and working hard enough to gradute in 4 years. I have talked to Fleming and Thorr previously about this situation and Fleming's take is that these kids owe the 5th year to URI and Thorr's take is to support Fleming. They are wrong, these kids have earned the right to do what they consider to be in their best interest. And let's face it, the constant losing does not help. That Fleming and Thorr have pressured these kids to stay is a disgrace. I would like to hear Dooley's comment on this topic. And I certainly hope that the NCAA hears Dino's plea for help. My support of this program has come to an end until URI starts treating these kids fairly. hope others come to the same conclusion. I know plenty of former URI football players who endured too many losses but hold their time on the team and at URI as special. I don't think Dino and the others feel the same way.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Fleming/Thorr Disgrace regarding Dino Boyd

Unread post by TruePoint »

I hate to say it, but I agree with you Ed. If your description of the situation is accurate, it’s a bad look for URI and not the way I want my programs to approach things. It’s a stupid rule that a player has to get a release the first place, especially a player that has graduated. But this kind of thing is so common - every program has 5th years leave - I can’t believe URI is taking this position.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Bad publicity for URI sheeesh
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he's one class short, I guess URI has the right to deny him.....but still a bad look for the program and the school.

I guess Fleming doesn't want to lose a key O lineman for this season....but even if he stays, how much will he care? And how will it affect others on the team?

He's better off letting him go to a program that can showcase his talents enough to get him drafted.....

I have the feeling Fleming is done after this season.....and disappointed in Thorr as well. They are responsible for the mess that is the football program. Dooley should step in here.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

URI deserves the bad publicity. I hope Dino's story gets a lot more attention. Steinmetz's appeal was initially denied but was eventually accepted. Not sure of who ultimately gave the approval. Dooley? I don't understand what URI is hoping to gain by their action. Do they want Dino to play at URI next year? Not sure his motivation and attitude will be too good! For sure Fleming is sending a message to underclassmen, I am sure it is great for morale. The kid wants to go to graduate school and football is his ticket. Do the right thing URI, let him go and offer him thanks for his time and commitment to URI and wish him well in his future endeavors.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I can't tell the administrators what to do. I would like to know the reason for denying the request before passing judgement.......I do know, that if I were a player in that situation, my motivation could change........but, we don't know the circumstances involved.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Everything involved with this football program has been a disgrace for quite a while now. Looks like they are just keeping that momentum going.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I feel like every time a team blocks a player’s transfer it becomes public, they look bad and stupid in the attempt, and then they let him go anyway in the end.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CTRamfan wrote:I can't tell the administrators what to do. I would like to know the reason for denying the request before passing judgement.......I do know, that if I were a player in that situation, my motivation could change........but, we don't know the circumstances involved.
I have to agree with this and think maybe there could be more to the story. Interesting, after ALL of the "trust Dooley/Thorr"/they know what's best for the U" talk about hiring the hoops coach...many seem ready to jump all over them in this case. Do they need to hire separate AD/President for football? :lol:
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

For being known as a football guy, Thorr hasn't exactly covered himself with glory when it comes to the football program.

As long as he remains the AD, URI will keep the program....if and when he leaves, it all depends on what the new AD would do.

I know Dooley also wants to keep football, but he's not as adamant as Thorr about it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
CTRamfan wrote:I can't tell the administrators what to do. I would like to know the reason for denying the request before passing judgement.......I do know, that if I were a player in that situation, my motivation could change........but, we don't know the circumstances involved.
I have to agree with this and think maybe there could be more to the story. Interesting, after ALL of the "trust Dooley/Thorr"/they know what's best for the U" talk about hiring the hoops coach...many seem ready to jump all over them in this case. Do they need to hire separate AD/President for football? :lol:
The easy answer to this is that there is no circumstance which would justify holding a student athlete at your institution against his will. I trusted Thorr to make the right hire for the basketball program, but the argument there was never - for me, at least - whatever he does will be the right thing because he is infallible. The argument was he’s demonstrated competence so let’s wait until he makes a decision before we subject him to criticism. Here, we know the decision, and no matter what else there is to the story it is the wrong decision on moral and ethical grounds.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

In talking to some FB boosters they say:
A.Player should graduate/get degree first
B. Let him go transfer.
C. Next man up!

They have plenty of O lineman.
This is just window dressing unless Will Flemings play calling improves.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Cross posting from the OL thread, Boyd will be playing for Cincinnati this year

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines