The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by TruePoint »

That's fair, but Sutton was only there long enough to have impacted this year's freshman class, and that place was a borderline dumpster fire before he arrived so it was not an easy sell to the kids he was chasing. Plus he was selling Stallings's program, which is tough. Not to mention, I think people felt that the young talent in the Pitt program could eventually be competitive in the ACC if they were developed effectively.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does this mean we can get in on some Montverde players? I could go for that.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote:Does this mean we can get in on some Montverde players? I could go for that.
Or Team USA.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

No doubt, but the ACC isn't the A 10 either. We talk about how difficult it is to win any conference game even here in A10 especially one on the road, imagine having BC or WF as the supposed easy games? Granted the team was a train wreck . From a players perspective also, once things start going terrible as did there, young guys tend to hang their head and not play to their capability. I think this team had certain things regarding Stalling and getting rid of him all year hanging over their head which is not easy. Also as difficult as it is to play with freshman if you are not name KY or Duke, imagine how hard it is to adjust to ACC ball. Kids improve, not everyone that walks in is a Marvin Bagley or Trae Young. One thing I noticed just watching this team a couple of times and in the ACC tourney, it would have been very easy for these kids to totally quit and give up. This team definitely fought and played hard to the end and IMO showed some talent that in time will develop. I tend to agree with Greenberg, Gottleib, a couple others that this team could make a similar move in the conference to what BC did this year.
I thought BC under Christian as turned into a very solid team and making a move up the ladder even if gradually. They took their lumps, maybe not quite as bad as Pitt, but this year developed 2 guys in Bowman and Robinson who were legit ACC stars and have entered the NBA draft and both guys were not big recruits to say the least, any stars . 2 guys that got out of the state of NC and made it to the Northeast.

I don't know a lot about Sutton, but his resume looks impressive and I like the fact that he has experience and has been around at a couple of higher level programs. Now sure who the other one will be, but a young up and comer like TJ Sorrentine, who is young, hungry would be a the type of 2nd choice I would like.

And at this point you can basically only work with guys that are available. We are not going sway anyone with salary like Hurley was able to do at UConn. IMO there are a lot of very good basketball people out there, you have to identify them and hopefully get the right fit. I would be happy with him.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The timing with Sutton is right too. Looking for work, available, good resume, and willing to take a position that probably doesn't pay quite as much as he'd like, but room for growth though.

Anybody know what he made at Pitt, being the 2nd assistant there ?

Would also be interesting to see what he starts at here....hopefully they bumped him up a bit from what DC was making last year.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Is it Sutton or is this all a WAG/ SPECULATION ?? Does anyone know for sure?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Sutton strengthens the recruiting in the DMV. Boswell has New England. Ideally, the final piece is someone who can recruit NY, NJ. (And Brown's best two players are from NJ.)
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TJ (Buchanan, not Sorrentine) is on the road watching players this weekend.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CHICO 78 wrote:Is it Sutton or is this all a WAG/ SPECULATION ?? Does anyone know for sure?
Book it.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TJ no doubt getting experience recruiting for when he becomes an assistant coach.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rambone 78 wrote:TJ no doubt getting experience recruiting for when he becomes an assistant coach.
Bone. SInce I trotted out Sutton's name, why don't you confirm. You say you know.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I wonder what TJ's clout would be in Preston Murphy's stomping grounds.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:TJ no doubt getting experience recruiting for when he becomes an assistant coach.
Bone. SInce I trotted out Sutton's name, why don't you confirm. You say you know.
;)
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy, my source is the one with the info....and I guess other posters' sources are saying the same thing.

I'm not sure an announcement will be made today.... he has not confirmed that....that's what others are saying.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I wonder what TJ's clout would be in Preston Murphy's stomping grounds.
In Detroit?

Edit: realize now you are talking about Buchanan and not Sorrentine. This is legit confusing. Can we refer to them by their last names and not “TJ” at least until URI staff is full and Sorrentine isn’t on it? If he does end up on URI staff, we will be fining people $1 for every use of TJ haha
1 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Iggy1979 wrote:Sutton strengthens the recruiting in the DMV. Boswell has New England. Ideally, the final piece is someone who can recruit NY, NJ. (And Brown's best two players are from NJ.)
Iggy, can you clarify the last sentence about Brown? Is there a coaching candidate named Brown or are you talking Brown University (TJ)?

Thanks
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TJ is very new to the recruiting game....it takes time....wouldn't be surprised if he gets an assistant job here in the not too distant future.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:Iggy, my source is the one with the info....and I guess other posters' sources are saying the same thing.

I'm not sure an announcement will be made today.... he has not confirmed that....that's what others are saying.
Was the call made to you from a phone booth?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy is talking about Sorrentine.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:I wonder what TJ's clout would be in Preston Murphy's stomping grounds.
In Detroit?

Edit: realize now you are talking about Buchanan and not Sorrentine. This is legit confusing. Can we refer to them by their last names and not “TJ” at least until URI staff is full and Sorrentine isn’t on it? If he does end up on URI staff, we will be fining people $1 for every use of TJ haha
Ok mini rant coming...the overuse of initials around here drives me nuts already as it is! My favorite is the use of DC for David Cox, because you know typing out Cox which is a whole 3 letters as opposed to 2 is just too much! :lol:
6 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Kingston wrote:A new assistant will be named in the next 24 hours
Kingston broke the timing yesterday. Not Rambone.
5 hours left of the 24 hour prediction.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

:roll: Sigh..... :roll:
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
In Detroit?

Ok mini rant coming...the overuse of initials around here drives me nuts already as it is! My favorite is the use of DC for David Cox, because you know typing out Cox which is a whole 3 letters as opposed to 2 is just too much! :lol:

Boy, do I agree with you. Maybe because I'm older, but, it drives me crazy too.
When I worked at Honeywell, we had a manual for acceptable initials and acronyms to be used.
I'm still trying to figure out why we're recruiting at The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
In Detroit?

Boy, do I agree with you. Maybe because I'm older, but, it drives me crazy too.
When I worked at Honeywell, we had a manual for acceptable initials and acronyms to be used.
I'm still trying to figure out why we're recruiting at The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
And that our best player this year was James Taylor.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There was an article in the Richmond Times Dispatch that listed the reported budgets for Men's Basketball expenses for the fiscal year July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2017, the latest figures available. This is what URI is up against in the A-10:

Link:
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... db4ad.html

Atlantic 10

1. VCU — $6,100,756
2. Dayton — $5,637,549
3. Saint Louis — $5,590,746
4. Massachusetts — $5,324,089
5. Richmond — $4,878,508
6. Rhode Island — $4,713,547
7. Duquesne — $4,445,910
8. Fordham — $4,436,291
9. Saint Joseph’s — $4,212,082
10. George Mason — $3,515,918
11. St. Bonaventure — $3,449,008
12. La Salle — $3,096,492
13. George Washington — $2,943,015
14. Davidson — $2,638,281
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 - do you know if debt service on a capital project for the benefit of a basketball program would be included in that program's budget?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Should any subject related to Rhody MBB going forward be posted to The David Cox Era thread? (:
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:This could help.....
https://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com ... ssion=true
Again I say Hoops GOLD!
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

So I ask again. Looking at those numbers, from where was the money coming to support Hurley's raise, increased charter flights, raises for assistants' salaries and preliminary spending on plans and renderings for the "elite" practice facility. I will stick to my conspiracy theory that a counter offer was never made and Thorr and Hurley did each other a solid to save face with the URI fan base.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:This could help.....
https://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com ... ssion=true
Again I say Hoops GOLD!
As I and a couple of others whined during the stretch as we were dumbfounded by zones in multiple games we NEVER got the ball to the corners and we never attacked the baseline. We tossed the ball around the top of the key aimlessly with terrible spacing. During the St Joe’s senior night debacle Cox was going nuts at times in Hurley’s ear.

I’m starting to get pretty confident that we’re gonna be a strong team. It sure ain’t rocket science and it’s all in Coach Smith’s book.

If Sutton is done deal I’m liking it!

Go Rhody!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:So I ask again. Looking at those numbers, from where was the money coming to support Hurley's raise, increased charter flights, raises for assistants' salaries and preliminary spending on plans and renderings for the "elite" practice facility. I will stick to my conspiracy theory that a counter offer was never made and Thorr and Hurley did each other a solid to save face with the URI fan base.
Dude your literally beating a dead horse and have absolutely no evidence for facts to back that up. This is 2 and a half weeks old news. We have moved on to bigger and better things. If you want to piss and moan and complain about everything then go ahead and over look the positive things that are happening to this program. I think you just want uri to make the wrong moves so you can say the same sentence for weeks straight. We get it you stated the same thing about a million times in what you think happened. Move on. I'm sure you probably have a negative take on the sutton hire too.
8 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

CamDollar......your theory is as good as anyone's......

....I've always said never believe coach-speak.....

....and it's corollary.....AD-speak.....

But here we are......I am optimistic about the future under David Cox.....time will tell......
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:So I ask again. Looking at those numbers, from where was the money coming to support Hurley's raise, increased charter flights, raises for assistants' salaries and preliminary spending on plans and renderings for the "elite" practice facility. I will stick to my conspiracy theory that a counter offer was never made and Thorr and Hurley did each other a solid to save face with the URI fan base.
Donors.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is it official we got Sutton ???
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

reef wrote:Is it official we got Sutton ???
Nothing is official until it is officially official. This is not.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok thanks was trying to sift through all these posts but sounds like it looks good and I am very excited
1 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Those of you in the know, are you talking about Sean or Scott?
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Donors who put their wallet back in their pocket when DH rolled out of town!!
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CTRamfan wrote:Those of you in the know, are you talking about Sean or Scott?
Kevin
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Owen Sammarone just followed Sutton on twitter. Is that confirmation?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

They told me sutton too! So then I says!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote:Owen Sammarone just followed Sutton on twitter. Is that confirmation?
How random a follow would that be if it weren’t confirmation of some sort. I remember when Cox was hired under Hurley, it had been done for a week or so before it was actually announced.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Sutton is signed, sealed and will be on the road this weekend!
4 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Good news!
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

The spending per school was posted. My contention I believe was valid. Since this information was made available, I simply asked where would the money come from to satisfy Hurley's demands. "Donors" is not the answer. Tom Ryan was all in on Pitino as he was 20 years ago on Harrick. I don't believe he was truly enamored with Hurley. At least not enough to ante up. You can attack the messenger but no one has given me an informed response as to how Thorr was going to pull it off.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

more like you're ignoring the ones that have because it doesn't fit your narrative
4 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

I forgot about all those $20.18 cent donations. The most ridiculous idea ever. The Coaches' salaries and operating expenses are built into the budget. An AD cannot offer a contract to a coach and then hope for donors to step up. It doesn't work that way.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is a fantastic hire for an assistant coach !!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Cameron_Dollar wrote:I forgot about all those $20.18 cent donations. The most ridiculous idea ever. The Coaches' salaries and operating expenses are built into the budget. An AD cannot offer a contract to a coach and then hope for donors to step up. It doesn't work that way.
You invented a (ridiculous) scenario in your head and are asking other people to disprove it. If they offered him the contact, then they had the money lined up. If you want to believe that either they were bluffing or that they just didn’t offer him the contract, that’s cool. You can believe the moon is made out of cream cheese, too, if that’s what you’re into. But unless you can Marshall ANY evidence to support your batshit theory (beyond your rather dumb “belief” that Tom Ryan down on Hurley and was holding back his money for Rick Pitino (lol)), everyone is going to keep telling you that you’re batshit.

The bigger questions to me, though, are (1) why do you even care and (2) what point are you trying to make? Like, even if you’re right (you’re not), so what? What would be the takeaway? It definitely looks and feels like you’re just being whiny curmudgeon for the thrill of it.
2 x