The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I said a hire would be announced this week. Just wasn't sure what day.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote:I said a hire would be announced this week. Just wasn't sure what day.
Can we have a hint?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like tomorrow.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Bone doesn't know who it is
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah I do but not telling yet.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:Disano is the guy I would trust.
Definitely. But his MO has not been to break a ton of stuff. He probably could break more if that was his thing but just doesn’t seem like it is.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Former ACC assistant
3 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Dre3000 wrote:Former ACC assistant
Can anybody say where this hire fits within the staff? As in associate HC? Second assistant?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Former as in unemployed? Kevin Sutton
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Former NBA player?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Former as in unemployed? Kevin Sutton
;)
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

;)
Dre3000 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Former as in unemployed? Kevin Sutton
;)
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Total guess - Raphael Chillious. Was Assoc HC for Kevin Ollie this past year. Previously Assoc HC at Univ of Washington. At UW for 8 years. From MD and coached Prep in MD then coached at South Kent in CT. Know as a great recruiter. Lost his job when Ollie got fired.

Bio from UCONN page.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-ba ... 42373.html

Edit: I thought Dre said AAC assistant. Now I see it is ACC.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sutton could be a home run hire given the monetary restraints Cox has. Heck of a recruiter along the east coast.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Put him and Bryce Golden on a plane
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:Put him and Bryce Golden on a plane
Unfortunately, Golden already has a final four of Syracuse, Georgetown, Butler and Illinois.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Kingston wrote:A new assistant will be named in the next 24 hours
Hurley leaked info to Zags, Goodman and Rothstein. Who will Cox trust?
I would agree, he'd probably have a similar list. Zags recently had an article about minority hires, that focused heavily on Coach Cox and included quotes. I would think they have developed some sort of trust, which seemed evident in the article.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bos8 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Kingston wrote:A new assistant will be named in the next 24 hours
Hurley leaked info to Zags, Goodman and Rothstein. Who will Cox trust?
I would agree, he'd probably have a similar list. Zags recently had an article about minority hires, that focused heavily on Coach Cox and included quotes. I would think they have developed some sort of trust, which seemed evident in the article.
David Cox seems much less interested in the limelight than Hurley is. He may not leak info to anyone.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Today’s upcoming announcement is hoops GOLD for our program! Guy coming in has ties to multiple areas of the country and USAB. This is a terrific hire. Potentially the best skill development guy in the country as well.
Last edited by NorthernRamFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

An interesting thing about Sutton is that he had previously worked with Jeff Capel at Old Dominion but was not retained at Pitt during the coaching change there when Capel was brought on. I believe Capel still has a vacancy on his staff. He also had a stint at Georgetown that did not overlap with Cox’s time on that staff. Previous A10 experience with GW on Mike Lonegran’s staff. If this sticks, will be a good hire for Cox IMO.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:An interesting thing about Sutton is that he had previously worked with Jeff Capel at Old Dominion but was not retained at Pitt during the coaching change there when Capel was brought on. I believe Capel still has a vacancy on his staff. He also had a stint at Georgetown that did not overlap with Cox’s time on that staff. Previous A10 experience with GW on Mike Lonegran’s staff. If this sticks, will be a good hire for Cox IMO.
Capel filled his staff out this week. Sutton only would’ve stayed at Pitt at the Associate HC position, I think that’s what Sutton will be here.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

TruePoint wrote:An interesting thing about Sutton is that he had previously worked with Jeff Capel at Old Dominion but was not retained at Pitt during the coaching change there when Capel was brought on. I believe Capel still has a vacancy on his staff. He also had a stint at Georgetown that did not overlap with Cox’s time on that staff. Previous A10 experience with GW on Mike Lonegran’s staff. If this sticks, will be a good hire for Cox IMO.
That is a bit strange about him working for Capel before at ODU and not being retained, but could it be more of a situation that when your team goes 0-18 in conference play and fans are absolutely miserable and looking at about as big of a build or rebuild possible that it is agreed upon and simply just the wiser move to clean house totally? Is Sutton definitely the guy?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Probably a case where Capel just wanted to bring in "his guys", more than anything negative about Sutton.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

giovanni wrote:
That is a bit strange about him working for Capel before at ODU and not being retained, but could it be more of a situation that when your team goes 0-18 in conference play and fans are absolutely miserable and looking at about as big of a build or rebuild possible that it is agreed upon and simply just the wiser move to clean house totally? Is Sutton definitely the guy?
Sutton has DEEP roots and ties into Team USA. It will pay dividends. May even get us a last minute look into Bryce Golden. Pitt going 0-18 was on Stallings, not Sutton. Sutton is a big time hire, IMO.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, not implying it means anything about Sutton. Just thought it was interesting.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote:Probably a case where Capel just wanted to bring in "his guys", more than anything negative about Sutton.
Exactly.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Says more about Capel than it does about Sutton. Capel has way more ties to coaches all over than just to ODU. He was the top guy at Oklahoma and obviously the top guy at Duke not named Coach K.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Sutton could be exactly what we need, active recruiter, great x & o coach... great chance to end our struggle against the zone defense.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I am not implying anything about Sutton either, looks like a very good hire IMO. I was just saying, even if Capel really did want to keep him and likes him, I would think it would be difficult to retain anyone from a program that is easily at an all time low and perhaps Sutton himself wants out and something fresh. Also in no way am I saying Sutton is responsible for teams record. Actually I thought Pitt has brought in some good players over the last year for a program in their situation.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Interesting Vic Soares grandson and RI native/St Andrews grad, Terrell Brown was a freshman at Pitt last year and improved quite a bit toward the end of last season had asked for his release but has since said he is going to stay at Pitt.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

giovanni wrote:I am not implying anything about Sutton either, looks like a very good hire IMO. I was just saying, even if Capel really did want to keep him and likes him, I would think it would be difficult to retain anyone from a program that is easily at an all time low and perhaps Sutton himself wants out and something fresh. Also in no way am I saying Sutton is responsible for teams record. Actually I thought Pitt has brought in some good players over the last year for a program in their situation.
Couldn't believe some of the comments I was reading on boards about players leaving... fans just trashing them because they went 0-18, team goes 0-18 that's on the coach, not the players.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I had heard a few national guys talk about Pitt in ACC tournament when they played ND and took them to the wire defending Stallings and say that if he stayed and the roster stayed in tact they could move up to a few spots and even mid pack ACC. I understand all these ex coaches and players that are analysts are typically going to back a coach who is on his way out, but they were also talking more the level of talent of the young players in particular the freshmen.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Sutton's resume is impressive. Two things most recent though. He was at Pitt for two years and for an ACC team they had lowly recruited players. Not seeing the 4 & 5 stars you need to compete in the ACC. Also he has been out of a job for over a month and no one else hired him. He went to the Final Four to meet with coaches in an attempt to get hired. There have been a lot of Ast Coaches hired in the last month.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Also, the last three HC he has worked for have been fired - JT3, Lomar & Stallings.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Rhody83 wrote:Sutton's resume is impressive. Two things most recent though. He was at Pitt for two years and for an ACC team they had lowly recruited players. Not seeing the 4 & 5 stars you need to compete in the ACC. Also he has been out of a job for over a month and no one else hired him. He went to the Final Four to meet with coaches in an attempt to get hired. There have been a lot of Ast Coaches hired in the last month.
He's 54. I think we're seeing a lot of age bias for assistant coaches this year. Even heard it from members on this board.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Cox was fired at Rutgers. So was Hurley. Assistants get fired when the head coach fails. Sutton was a train wreck and had to go.
Very solid hire.
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He had Bryce Golden headed to Pitt who is a 4* STUD PF. Played HS with Amir Harris last year.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

One thing I am wondering. ....why is Pitt full of 2 and 3 star players?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:Cox was fired at Rutgers. So was Hurley. Assistants get fired when the head coach fails. Sutton was a train wreck and had to go.
Very solid hire.
Stallings was a train wreck I think you mean.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Cox was fired at Rutgers. So was Hurley. Assistants get fired when the head coach fails. Sutton was a train wreck and had to go.
Very solid hire.
Stallings was a train wreck I think you mean.
Damn. Yes.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Billyboy78 wrote:One thing I am wondering. ....why is Pitt full of 2 and 3 star players?
Because only a handful of programs get 5 stars. And idk why they have no 4star guys. Stallings was obviously over his head.

I don't think the fact he has no job is a red flag. He probably wants an elevated ASS HC title. That can be a holdup.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Billyboy78 wrote:This could help.....
https://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com ... ssion=true
Same blog entry I saw when I referenced our hope of improving against the zone...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:One thing I am wondering. ....why is Pitt full of 2 and 3 star players?
Because only a handful of programs get 5 stars. And idk why they have no 4star guys. Stallings was obviously over his head.

I don't think the fact he has no job is a red flag. He probably wants an elevated ASS HC title. That can be a holdup.
Again, they had some 4* coming in (Bryce Golden from the DMV area)
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote:He had Bryce Golden headed to Pitt who is a 4* STUD PF. Played HS with Amir Harris last year.
Good point. I know he was also the lead recruiter for Fultz at Washington.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Again, Sutton may have had better players he was recruiting, but the HC still has to close the deal.

Stallings indeed was over his head.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote:

Even though its the ACC its not that easy to walk right into to a program and in big transition and recruit 4 and 5 stars who pretty much have their choice of schools. Need the right type of kid to walk into a program that is down and in a big rebuild and therefore willing to suffer a couple years with little guarantee. More kids of that stature would more like choose a NC, Duke VA type program or if not at that very top level, a top BE or Big 10 type program where you can walk in and immediately contend for the tournament and possibly a league title. Coming into that type of situation many times you have to begin with under the radar type guys or guys that don't have the opportunity to play at the more successful P5 schools . Once you get some kids that compete and improve the program then you can begin to move up in you level of recruit. And Sutton actually only had one full year there, he was hired late in the 2016 year a believe, so not a real big sample size. Look at what Hurley did here, I think its easy to see that his level of recruit kept going higher with the more success we achieved.

Plus 5 stars on one thing, not many schools outside of the real powers, NC, Duke , Kansas , KY MIch st etc, not a lot of schools get a lot. I am not a huge rating guy after the top 50 or 75 type players either. In many cases there is very little difference in many 4 stars to 3 stars. Look at Jermaine Harris, I guarantee you if he chose Xavier or WVA or Kansas, he moves up 25 or 30 spots just on college selection alone, it happens many or most times. And as Tyrese Martin says and I agree 100%

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

Even though its the ACC its not that easy to walk right into to a program and in big transition and recruit 4 and 5 stars who pretty much have their choice of schools. Need the right type of kid to walk into a program is down and in a big rebuild. More kids of that stature would more like choose a NC, Duke VA type program or if not at that very top level, a top BE or Big 10 type program where you can walk in and immediately contend for tournament and possibly league title. Coming into that type of situation many times you have to begin with under the radar type guys or guys that don't have the opportunity to play at the more successful P5 schools . Once you get some kids that compete and improve the program then you can begin to move up in you level of recruit. And Sutton actually only had one full year there, he was hired late in the 2016 year a believe, so not a real big sample size. Look at what Hurley did here, I think its easy to see that his level of recruit kept going higher with the more success we achieved.

Plus 5 stars on one thing, not many schools outside of the real powers, NC, Duke , Kansas , KY MIch st etc, not a lot of schools get a lot. I am not a huge rating guy after the top 50 or 75 type players either. In many cases there is very little difference in many 4 stars to 3 stars. Look at Jermaine Harris, I guarantee you if he chose Xavier or WVA or Kansas, he moves up 25 or 30 spots just on college selection alone, it happens many or most times. And as Tyrese Martin says and I agree 100%

True, but as their record would indicate, they didn't have good players there. Even if Stallings is a terrible coach, you'd think talent alone could get them at least a win or two in the conference games.
0 x