'18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm no recruiting guru, but it sounds like Brendan Adams only wanted to play for Hurley. And Amir Harris also only wanted to play for Hurley, but not enough to play for Hurley on a team where his position was way over recruited (in his opinion).

So, both of those two wanted to play for Hurley. Will be interesting to see if Hurley manages to get either one of them.

Meanwhile, back at the bat cave, URI is way above the curve in terms of retaining current players and signed recruits. Hopefully it stays that way.

Next, concentrate on getting talent that wants to play for Coach Cox. The next signing will be groundbreaking, make it a good one.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

jcru wrote:I'm no recruiting guru, but it sounds like Brendan Adams only wanted to play for Hurley. And Amir Harris also only wanted to play for Hurley, but not enough to play for Hurley on a team where his position was way over recruited (in his opinion).

So, both of those two wanted to play for Hurley. Will be interesting to see if Hurley manages to get either one of them.

Meanwhile, back at the bat cave, URI is way above the curve in terms of retaining current players and signed recruits. Hopefully it stays that way.

Next, concentrate on getting talent that wants to play for Coach Cox. The next signing will be groundbreaking, make it a good one.
I'm with you all the way here, except I'm not sure on your read of Amir Harris. Maybe it is true, maybe it is not, but I'm not seeing a lot of evidence out there either way. It might be true that he felt we over-recruited guards, but even that is not totally clear. His recruitment has also not exactly blown up since he backed out of his commitment, so to me his situation has always been and remains pretty mysterious. I like him as a player and said so before he committed, after he committed and continue to say it now. But his recruitment is just kind of strange. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Based on Dan looking at Adams and Duquesne grad transfer Tarin Smith tells me he isn't impressed with the talent level there for next season.
Those are his Uconn version of Biruta, Reischel and Biggie IMO, nice players but stop gaps and not high impact guys for a program that aspires to play for NCs.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote:Based on Dan looking at Adams and Duquesne grad transfer Tarin Smith tells me he isn't impressed with the talent level there for next season.
Those are his Uconn version of Biruta, Reischel and Biggie IMO, nice players but stop gaps and not high impact guys for a program that aspires to play for NCs.
And Kassoum Yakwe, who is visiting today.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

bigappleram wrote:Based on Dan looking at Adams and Duquesne grad transfer Tarin Smith tells me he isn't impressed with the talent level there for next season.
Agree strongly with this, but also don't think he's going to have a very easy time getting players this year. (At least not the type of player he thought would fall into his lap at UConn.)
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Not sure why people care who Hurley is recruiting... More concerned about our improvement as a program. Last I knew Dan Hurley was no longer a part of that equation....
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RAM67 wrote:
Agree strongly with this, but also don't think he's going to have a very easy time getting players this year. (At least not the type of player he thought would fall into his lap at UConn.)
Sure, I mean by the time Hurley got to UCONN I think something like 89 out of the top 100 recruits in the country were already committed, so he wasn't going to be bridging any gaps without having previous relationships with those players. I think the best thing he could do is try to grab a few of these grad transfer types (Smith, Yakwe), and focus on 2019 -- Akok, Lecque, Cockburn, etc.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
RAM67 wrote:
Sure, I mean by the time Hurley got to UCONN I think something like 89 out of the top 100 recruits in the country were already committed, so he wasn't going to be bridging any gaps without having previous relationships with those players. I think the best thing he could do is try to grab a few of these grad transfer types (Smith, Yakwe), and focus on 2019 -- Akok, Lecque, Cockburn, etc.
In his interviews after accepting the job Hurley said they were going to focus on ‘19s and ‘20s. He does have three-four open slots for next year’s roster (3 recruits that backed out and Larrier declaring for the Draft). He will recruit over any of the ‘18s he is going after.
The top three returning scorers for UCONN are guards - Jalen Adams (will be Sr 18 ppg), Vital (will be Jr 15 ppg) & Gilbert (will be Soph 9 ppg). Not an attractive spot for Brendan to get playing time.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ram1980 wrote:Not sure why people care who Hurley is recruiting... More concerned about our improvement as a program. Last I knew Dan Hurley was no longer a part of that equation....
You're in a recruiting thread about a player who committed to us, decommitted and is now considering UCONN, what are you expecting to read here?
There are plenty of us who are interested in who Hurley is recruiting especially when it involves this program.
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
FattsAndFurious wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: If you're going to recruit former URI commits, just don't say that you're not going to do it. That's all. Very simple.
You’re dense. Very simple.
Good one. How would you feel if Dan tried to get your boy Fatts to transfer to UConn? Would you be ok with that also? Because he did, my friend.
100% Spot on Billy!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dre3000 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
FattsAndFurious wrote: You’re dense. Very simple.
Good one. How would you feel if Dan tried to get your boy Fatts to transfer to UConn? Would you be ok with that also? Because he did, my friend.
100% Spot on Billy!
Yep, but the fanboys will never believe it.
2 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Good one. How would you feel if Dan tried to get your boy Fatts to transfer to UConn? Would you be ok with that also? Because he did, my friend.
100% Spot on Billy!
He did not lmao god you’re brutal.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

FattsAndFurious wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
100% Spot on Billy!
And who the hell are you? Who are your sources?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

FattsAndFurious wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
100% Spot on Billy!
From what I've heard, you're as wrong as can be. I don't blame him, Fatts is a hell of a player. IMO Hurley needs to be more concerned with doing well at UConn than whether URI fans will be happy with him. His coaching legacy will have way more to do with his success or lack thereof at UConn than whether or not he tried to take a player from URI.

But for the record, I believe you are wrong.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Dre3000 wrote:
FattsAndFurious wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Yep, but the fanboys will never believe it.
From what I've heard, you're as wrong as can be. I don't blame him, Fatts is a hell of a player. IMO Hurley needs to be more concerned with doing well at UConn than whether URI fans will be happy with him. His coaching legacy will have way more to do with his success or lack thereof at UConn than whether or not he tried to take a player from URI.

But for the record, I believe you are wrong.
IMO Hurley needs to be IS more concerned with doing well at UConn than whether URI fans will be happy with him.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

My understanding is that when a coach "breaks" an existing contract the usual negotiation is not just money but also an agreement on existing recruits.

If we did not enforce this in this situation, shame on us.

His brother did the same thing, commit, decommit choose another school and Mama controlled it, why would we think it is different now.?

My bet is THE bONNIES.

If we can't get high caliper players at this point, I would sure consider the post grad Joseph Chartouny from Fordham.
He led the country in steals and would fit nicely for one year.

From Quebec though, do we have any connections there?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Someone please confirm is Monday the opening of LOI signingsfor this semester?
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

sf2010 wrote:Holy shit this is getting out of control.
EGram wrote:I disagree, even if he Decomitted Dan Broke his word.

Honestly his recruiting of Adams after his words saying essentially otherwise. Makes me think less of him as person. He may be perhaps not violating the technical agreement( or w/e youd call it you all it), but he badly broke the spirit of the agreement.
I really thought he was an upstanding guy. He may have followed the "letter of the always buy the spirit was badly violated. I don't see how anyone can defend this..
EGram wrote: If anyone on the UCONN Admin is reading is i implore you to reconsider this. For me this is a huge knock against running an and Honest, Clean, program. I'm sure many other see it this way also.
lol at the idea that anyone with decision making influence at UConn is reading your opinions on the matter
EGram wrote:I would have the URI Admin ask Dan to force to essentially take a "transfer" year off as they basically deceived us if we let him out of LOI, after Hurley said he was recruiting no URI recruits this the minimum. The reasoning we would not release him from LOI if we knew Da was lying, or being less then honest at the very least. About UConn. recruiting him.

I know some of you guys love Hurley, but IMO this is not the way an upstanding coach asks ad is rankly shady at very best, at worse its borderline conspiracy to steal our recruit. Overall, it's no way for a clean coach to act, frankly would expect this from a pitino, no a Hurley... We did Adams a massive favor by releasing him from MOI with no restrictions. LIKEY IN PART BECAUSE WE WERE TOLD HURLEY WAS NOT RECRUTIGING HIM.
F******* ridiculous speculation. It is always the right thing to do to let kids out of their LOIs. Why should Adams be punished and have to sit out a year because the biggest reason for him committing to URI is no longer here? No way should our athletic administration attempt to place any restrictions on where Adams plays. This is an 18 yearold kid making the biggest decision of his life so far. Let him go where he wants to go.

EGram wrote:AS for Adams, Dan, do the right thing, Adams shoul do the right thing also. recommit to URI and if u don't wanna stay sign the LOI and miss a year... Or agree to say on at UConn as a redshirt UCONN as a year as a red shirt. URI let Adam. out out of LOi on what look like false pretenses. lease, Hurley, or UConn admin guys d your job and fix this situation. Cox ( who recruited Adams BTW( and RI is screwed because we tried to do the right thing. Hurley and UConn
What evidence do you have that URI let Adams out of his LOI under false pretenses i.e. an agreement that he wouldn't go play for the coach he wanted to play for? So Adams should volunteer to sit out a year because...??? Some URI fans are butt-hurt that he wants to play for Hurley and that's the most important thing to him when choosing a school? You're talking about shady under-handed dealings - what would be truly messed up is forcing a kid to sit out a year because the coach he wanted to play for left for another job.

Adams committed to play for Hurley.
That was clearly the thing that drew him to URI most. Hurley leaves, and Adams is not so attracted to URI anymore. Can't blame the kid, we all love(d) Hurley too. It would be shady if Dan told him to come with him to UConn. What evidence do we have that that happened? For all we know Adams just texted Dan and said "I still want to play for you." That seems to me to be the most likely thing that happened.
What is Dan supposed to say in that situation? "Go screw, I never thought you were that good anyways. You were good enough for URI but not for UConn?"
I'm sorry don;t have the energy to much argue this tonight. I sut found out need new surggery on my leg in early may and ay lose it afteralll.. AT best i won't be posting much over the summer.

But it seesms your specuatative even more then me based on the avaiabilbe info. As for the Evidence as i said in anothr thread, he told the cooleys brother 2 days b4 announcing... sad dan clearly violated his word on this issue. 9 don't see why anyone is giving him the benefit of the dout on this given he seemed to be recruiting fatts also... and the other lies the told the boosters over trhe years..

Don't give e the "biggest desisiicion of his ife crap, i transfered and so did my father. IT turne out great for both os us. Aos schools marequire kids to hnor LOI's al the time.. It's hardly soething new.

As for the : Most important choice thingy: I transfered schooos fro URI too IONA and it was the best choice of my life...
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

ALso your not "punishing the guy for signing a LOI" He kknows what it means to sign one and how if he wants to break it he has to sit otua eyar, no one forced him to sign that

keaneyblue,,,,, whats your take on this as a former player who knows Hureley well?
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

TruePoint wrote:It isn't unusual at all for recruits, or even current players, to follow their coach when the coach changes jobs, or to reevaluate their situation. If Adams committed only because of Hurley, then fine let him go to UConn. I think a lot of the players and recruits love Coach Cox and committed partially for him in the first place, which should allow us to keep this group mostly intact, but maybe that isn't the case for Adams. Again, I don't have much of an issue with that beyond being disappointed as a fan that Adams doesn't want to play here. The only issue I have is with Dan for writing checks that he isn't willing or able to cash. I don't even have that big of an issue with him wanting to get players he recruited to stay with him.

If you want to benefit from the adoration that comes with saying the right things, then on the back end you have to pay the reputational price when you don't live up to them. The actions themselves are more or less to be expected.

Biing, for me this this Adamss and Fatts situation ruins herleys rep as an upstanding man.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

EGram wrote:ALso your not "punishing the guy for signing a LOI" He kknows what it means to sign one and how if he wants to break it he has to sit otua eyar, no one forced him to sign that

keaneyblue,,,,, whats your take on this as a former player who knows Hureley well?
There isn’t one school that doesn’t let recruits out of a NLOI if the coach leaves.
If they did that, it would be used against the school in recruiting for a long time.
These kids make a commitment to a coach. If the coach leaves, the recruit should automatically get his release.
Today it is just a formality.
2 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

The Dan Hurley Defense Team has to run out of steam here eventually, what is the benefit of justifying the lies? Serious question there. He chose to leave the program for the one he wanted more. And was pretty dishonest on the way out.

'I'll stay if the program shows commitment to improvement' (Thorr gives him a juicy offer, Hurley declines)
'We're a family' (leaves his 'family' behind like 3 days later)
'I won't recruit URI's players' (has Adams visit UConn) - also I don't want to hear the BS "he decommitted so he's not a URI player any more" argument. If, *example* Fatts asked to be released, then went to UConn, would people say "no it's okay DH took him because he was released so technically he wasn't a Ram and technically he didn't take our player"

In other news I'm disappointed in myself for posting about DH because I think that all of us should be focusing on the future
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Gotta love the boneyard. They already have BA committed to uconn. And they have plans to recruit over him in two yesrs and he can accept the bench or transfer. Lmfao.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Obviously to me it isn't necessarily that Hurley recruited Adams to UCONN . It seems more likely Adams and his mother wanted Brendan to play for Hurley and not URI . They wanted Hurley wherever Hurley was coaching. And not to defend Hurley because i am very disappointed that he chose to leave , but would it be fair to Adams for Hurley to refuse Adams ? If Hurley feels that Adams would help UCONN and would have accepted him if Hurley had already been at UCONN and not URI then it is only fair to Adams to let him go where he wants to go and play for the coach he wants to play for. Likewise, if Fatts wants to follow Hurley to UCONN and Hurley accepts him , it is only fair for fatts to go where he wants to go and sit out the year . I am upset that Adams did what he did , but it is his life , and the same goes for Fatts . Hurley isn't the one driving the decision , the players are . I don't think the coach should refuse a viable player the right to play for him . If Hurley had brought outstanding players with him to URI from a previous school because they wanted to continue to play for Hurley or his recruits decided they wanted to follow Hurley to URI , i don't think we would be seeing any complaints from anyone on Keaney Blue . Hopefully Cox can find an equivalent talent as a replacement and we can look forward to great seasons with Cox as coach . I am excited to see what Cox can do in the way of recruiting in his own right and as Head coach on the sidelines over the next two seasons . The future looks brighter than ever for Rhody.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

luke wrote:Obviously to me it isn't necessarily that Hurley recruited Adams to UCONN . It seems more likely Adams and his mother wanted Brendan to play for Hurley and not URI . They wanted Hurley wherever Hurley was coaching. And not to defend Hurley because i am very disappointed that he chose to leave , but would it be fair to Adams for Hurley to refuse Adams ? If Hurley feels that Adams would help UCONN and would have accepted him if Hurley had already been at UCONN and not URI then it is only fair to Adams to let him go where he wants to go and play for the coach he wants to play for. Likewise, if Fatts wants to follow Hurley to UCONN and Hurley accepts him , it is only fair for fatts to go where he wants to go and sit out the year . I am upset that Adams did what he did , but it is his life , and the same goes for Fatts . Hurley isn't the one driving the decision , the players are . I don't think the coach should refuse a viable player the right to play for him . If Hurley had brought outstanding players with him to URI from a previous school because they wanted to continue to play for Hurley or his recruits decided they wanted to follow Hurley to URI , i don't think we would be seeing any complaints from anyone on Keaney Blue . Hopefully Cox can find an equivalent talent as a replacement and we can look forward to great seasons with Cox as coach . I am excited to see what Cox can do in the way of recruiting in his own right and as Head coach on the sidelines over the next two seasons . The future looks brighter than ever for Rhody.
This has been stated several times in this thread. Hurley shouldn’t have said he wouldn’t go after any recruits or players then. He said that unsolicited in a one-on-one interview in his house. He shouldn’t have said anything.

Also, you comments of Hurley “accepts him” is hilarious. Do you really think that’s how players end up at a school? Hurley (or any other coach) is only interested in a player that he has identified that can help him win. I can see the dialogue now. Player: coach I want to play for you, please let me come to your school. Coach: ok, I will accept you.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Obviously, since he is taking a visit this weekend to uconn, he will likely sign on Monday, which is start of LOI date

Of course, I do not have all the facts, but it sure looks as if this is SHAME on Dooley and Bjorn.

Hurley has a contract with URI, he wants to break it, there is a negotiation

sounds simple to me, terms are you cannot signt any of our current players or LOI signees, plus X money

or Uconn says we will can recruit signees and we will pay you X+Y dollars. Bet anything this is what happened or we are just incompetent negotiators (which I do not believe)

Essentially URI got cash for the rights to Adams!!!!!!
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

The only "shame" is if they granted his release without the condition that he couldn't sign with uconn.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

McRam wrote:Obviously, since he is taking a visit this weekend to uconn, he will likely sign on Monday, which is start of LOI date

Of course, I do not have all the facts, but it sure looks as if this is SHAME on Dooley and Bjorn.

sounds simple to me, terms are you cannot signt any of our current players or LOI signees, plus X money

or Uconn says we will can recruit signees and we will pay you X+Y dollars. Bet anything this is what happened or we are just incompetent negotiators (which I do not believe)

This sounds ridiculous/absurd... lol... if Hurley wants to leave, he leaves..."negotiation"????
What are you talking about??? Like, if they couldn't agree to terms...Hurls would have to stay? :lol: :lol:

Then again...what do I know?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote:Obviously, since he is taking a visit this weekend to uconn, he will likely sign on Monday, which is start of LOI date

You don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. No school is holding any player hostage as part of a contract negotiation with a coach. That’s not the way this works. And on this case the amount UConn/Dan were going to pay was predetermined by Dan’s contract. Even if it weren’t, I’ve never heard of a school using an individual player who hasn’t even enrolled yet as a negotiating chip in this type of situation, which occurs all over the sport every single year. And I hope I never do, because that is not the role of an educational institution with respect to a student.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hurley had already negotiated his exit deal. It was in the contract - $1.25 million buyout.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

So Rhody 83 you think the decision for a player to get a scholarship to a school isn't mutual between the coach and the player ? just because a player wants to go to a school doesn't mean in the end that a scholarship will be offered . The coach decides if the scholarship is offered , not the player . I haven't seen anywhere that Adams was offered a scholarship by UCONN . If so then the coach has offered . Many times players have been offered by a coach who later withdraws an offer because they accept another player who was offered as well and the coach prefers . So yes the player does contact the coach an tells him he wants to play for him and the coach either ACCEPTS the player or withdraws the offer . Nothing hilarious there . the coach must want a player and the player must want to play for the coach . In Adams' case, he already had a relationship with Hurley . did Adams contact Hurley first at U CONN or did Hurley contact Adams after leaving URI ? I don't know , do you ?
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

UConn it is. Oh well.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yep. He could have waited a little longer or taken a couple of more visits so as to not make it look so obvious. Good luck to Brendan. I hope he can find some playing time there.
Bill Koch‏ @BillKoch25 · 4m4 minutes ago
Brendan Adams commits to UConn. Former #URI signee follows Dan Hurley to Storrs. #Rams retain other three members of their recruiting class, have two open scholarships remaining.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Good for him, looks like he probably wanted to play for Hurley so I can't blame him. Nice that he thanked URI and Coach Cox. Time to move on.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Good for him, looks like he probably wanted to play for Hurley so I can't blame him. Nice that he thanked URI and Coach Cox. Time to move on.
Right, exactly. When Dan was at URI nobody was upset that some kids wanted to play for him. If this is what he wanted, I’m glad it worked out for him. You would never want to force a kid to be here that wants to be somewhere else, and as far as the idea of releasing him from his LOI under the condition that he not go to UConn, I don’t get why you’d want to force a kid to go somewhere other than where he wants to be beyond pure pettiness. This isn’t the NBA, teams don’t have “rights” to players because they aren’t professionals.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn Commit)

Once again, I don't blame Brendan one bit. He has every right to go where he wants. Dan just shouldn't have said he wouldn't take any of our recruits or players when clearly he didn't mean it. Yes, time to move on. David will find a good player to replace him. At least Fatts didn't listen...
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Who knows how this plays out. Could have a great 4 years or could transfer somewhere after being recruited over. If he’s not recruited over I’d think the majority of that fan base will be extremely disappointed. Tough to walk into a place with unrealistic NCAA championship expectations.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Once again, I don't blame Brendan one bit. He has every right to go where he wants. Dan just shouldn't have said he wouldn't take any of our recruits or players when clearly he didn't mean it. Yes, time to move on. David will find a good player to replace him. At least Fatts didn't listen...
We are in agreement. When in doubt, say less.
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:Good for him, looks like he probably wanted to play for Hurley so I can't blame him. Nice that he thanked URI and Coach Cox. Time to move on.
Right, exactly. When Dan was at URI nobody was upset that some kids wanted to play for him. If this is what he wanted, I’m glad it worked out for him. You would never want to force a kid to be here that wants to be somewhere else, and as far as the idea of releasing him from his LOI under the condition that he not go to UConn, I don’t get why you’d want to force a kid to go somewhere other than where he wants to be beyond pure pettiness. This isn’t the NBA, teams don’t have “rights” to players because they aren’t professionals.
There is dissonance between this take and your transfer take.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There actually isn’t if you have capacity for nuance.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

For those stating things along the lines of "he will get recruited over" etc. please stop, it smacks of arrogant and ignorant, well sort of like many UConn fans and PC fans. You haven't even seen him dribble a ball in a college game yet and you have him slated to get recruited over. I'm sure you were all thrilled when he was coming here, now all of a sudden he won't be able to compete in the AAC :roll:

As far as him following Hurley, whatever I guess this shit happens. The thing that sticks in my craw is the smoke that got blown up my ass, the whole choir boy routine when truly we are talking about a person as interested in the proverbial career ladder as anyone. Instead of sticking it out here and creating a dynamic and powerful legacy of his own by continuing to build the program into a NC contender DH saw a ceiling here and moved on, oh well. It's not the moving on that bugs me, its the rhetoric about how if URI continues to invest in the program he'll stay for less money because he wants to make us the Gonzaga of the east, blah blah blah. He should have just said none of it and just left for more money when the right job came up.
8 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I mean the guy almost left for Rutgers, which is a pit and kills coaches careers.

If the Rutgers pull was that close. He always had a foot out the door. People are silly to buy into his fairytale so heavy.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hurley’s first two recruits at UCONN are a recruit he had coming to Rhody and a player from a team at the bottom of the A10. The funny part of that is Hurley’s reason for leaving was he needed higher rated recruits to have deeper and more consistent success in the tournament.

Hurley’s first recruiting year will truly be the ‘19s. He (and his Husky Nation) are expecting 4* and 5* recruits only. The ‘19 class will be the beginning of his rebuild (equivalent to the EC & Hass year). That is why people are saying he will recruit over Brendan. Ollie had a much higher rated PG signed who de-committed they day after Ollie was fired.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I mean the guy almost left for Rutgers, which is a pit and kills coaches careers.

If the Rutgers pull was that close. He always had a foot out the door. People are silly to buy into his fairytale so heavy.
In fairness, when he was supposedly considering the Rutgers offer, this program was not what it was when he left for UConn.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

DH had to spend 2 years worrying about academic sanctions from the ncaa, maybe he was still perturbed about that when Rutgers came calling...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

IDK his brother left after a year. 6 years is a long time to spend somewhere. Any more time and it really starts to approach a decade.

Everyone kind of reads into it what they want. My personal opinion is that once he left the high school ranks he was always going to hop job to job until he got to a Uconn. What is more likely? that he parlayed job offers into more opportunities at URI because he is virtuous or because he was actually listening to the job offers and thought what is the worst that can happen? parlay the job offer into more resources so that down the line he actually can get the job that he wants.

I think it is a mistake to buy into the talk of being purely motivated by basketball and the basketball opportunities because you cant separate the basketball from the money or the prestige and respect that comes with the elevated programs.

Even tho I think URI is closer to Uconn than Wagner is to URI, I do think it was a similar jump across the board. Wagner just isn't a peer basketball program to URI and URI just isn't a peer basketball program to Uconn.

I personally find none of this to be nefarious. I liked Hurley and his intense demeanor. I did tire of the relentless talking points/branding and promotion of their story.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is from UConn's beat writer. So, who contacted whom again?
David Borges‏ @DaveBorges
Brendan Adams said at first wanted to stay at URI, but #UConn was too much to turn down. On Hurley: "I feel like he'll help me become a better player and a better man."

5:30 PM - 15 Apr 2018
3 x