The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Iggy1979 wrote:Thorr has been very creative in finding money for the HC position. He now has to do that for the assistants. If Cox can't hire away from St Louis because of $ then we have a problem.
St Louis has always been well funded and above anything URI is doing in the money department. Why would that be a problem?

St. Louis's money sits front row at their games right on the court. Mega donor.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wonder what we offered Macon? Not enough for sure.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Thorr has been very creative in finding money for the HC position. He now has to do that for the assistants. If Cox can't hire away from St Louis because of $ then we have a problem.
St Louis has always been well funded and above anything URI is doing in the money department. Why would that be a problem?

Thorr already went BIG-TIME and increased the assistant coaching salary pool 6.25% from 400K to 425k to cover the three critical assistant positions. Wasn't this HUGE COMMITMENT to the program enough? :lol:
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Meanwhile the former URI coach will be paying his assistants the following salary at his new gig:

Hunter $315,000
Moore $250,000
Young $250,000
Total Base Salary: $815,000

UConn Men's Notebook: Salary For Assistants, Benedict Discusses Recruiting
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html

Thorr Bjorn increased URI's salary pool by 6.25% to $425,000, a figure approximately half of what UConn will pay. Based on its pay structure, I guess URI is quite committed to continually replacing head and assistant coaches.

FWIW - It is just as bad for the other lower level positions as well:
Director of Admin: UConn $160,300 URI $46,500
DBO: UConn $80,000 URI $38,000

I wonder how Ty Bosell felt about getting a 6.25% raise instead of more than doubling his salary. Was he disappointed to be staying in Kingston?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI has money right now. We have documented all the increases from NCAA appearances, increased ticket sales, Hurley buyout, savings on Hurley salary. To not put $200,000 more into the Ast Coaches’ pool was Thinking Small and very disappointing IMO.

You can’t recruit without good Assistants. You need them to coach. Spending $ on Assistants is way more impactful than charter flights. URI has proved that the last two years.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote:

URI has money right now. We have documented all the increases from NCAA appearances, increased ticket sales, Hurley buyout, savings on Hurley salary. To not put $200,000 more into the Ast Coaches’ pool was Thinking Small and very disappointing IMO.

You can’t recruit without good Assistants. You need them to coach. Spending $ on Assistants is way more impactful than charter flights. URI has proved that the last two years.
I'm just saying it is not a problem. St Louis has always had big bucks circulating.

It certainly isn't a problem for URI if St Louis pays more for something.

Is there more $$ at URI today than there was 2 years or 8 years ago? absolutely. Do we want them to spend it? absolutely.

But it isn't URI's problem every time a college program forks over more cash for something. Especially a program that has always thrown around more $$$.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RF1 wrote:Meanwhile the former URI coach will be paying his assistants the following salary at his new gig:

Hunter $315,000
Moore $250,000
Young $250,000
Total Base Salary: $815,000

UConn Men's Notebook: Salary For Assistants, Benedict Discusses Recruiting
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html

Thorr Bjorn increased URI's salary pool by 6.25% to $425,000, a figure approximately half of what UConn will pay. Based on its pay structure, I guess URI is quite committed to continually replacing head and assistant coaches.

FWIW - It is just as bad for the other lower level positions as well:
Director of Admin: UConn $160,300 URI $46,500
DBO: UConn $80,000 URI $38,000

I wonder how Ty Bosell felt about getting a 6.25% raise instead of more than doubling his salary. Was he disappointed to be staying in Kingston?
Sorry, but you are whistling in the dark about this and that requires a broader perspective. A recent study showed that the URI faculty is the lowest paid of all the New England flagship publics with the exception of Maine, and given that the cost of living in Orono area is lower than Kingston, it is not exaggeration to say URI, on a disposable income basis, is the lowest. So why would the BB coaching staff be any different comparatively. The question is how do attract the best and the brightest in either group?

The gorilla in the room is the State funding and until that is corrected (don't hold your breath over that) progress will be limited. And forthe upcoming fiscal year URI got a $3 million dollar budget boost from the State, an increase of less than 1/2%. Pathetic!!
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is anybody else at least a little bit surprised that we haven't hired one assistant yet?
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’d have thought a lot of the groundwork would have been laid before he even got the job. You’d think he reached out to people and gauged interest and that that was part of his presentation to Thorr and Dooley.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rambone 78 wrote:Again, is there interest in Dr. John?
He was in the right place, but it musta been the wrong time. :D
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:I’d have thought a lot of the groundwork would have been laid before he even got the job. You’d think he reached out to people and gauged interest and that that was part of his presentation to Thorr and Dooley.
I’m sure he did, but his hands were tied until he actually GOT the job. Doesn’t sound like they gave Cox the same pool of money they were giving DH.
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

DC_Rams wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I’d have thought a lot of the groundwork would have been laid before he even got the job. You’d think he reached out to people and gauged interest and that that was part of his presentation to Thorr and Dooley.
I’m sure he did, but his hands were tied until he actually GOT the job. Doesn’t sound like they gave Cox the same pool of money they were giving DH.
Also who knows when Moore's resignation became effective. The first assistant couldn't be hired until about 2 weeks after that. Coach Cox' assistant position can't be hired until that position has been posted for 10 days. These are state positions, so I assume they have the same hold ups that the head job had.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dre3000 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Also who knows when Moore's resignation became effective. The first assistant couldn't be hired until about 2 weeks after that. Coach Cox' assistant position can't be hired until that position has been posted for 10 days. These are state positions, so I assume they have the same hold ups that the head job had.
All of the Ast Coaches were are one year contracts that expired on Fri, Apr 6th or Sun, Apr 8th.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If the Ast Coaches have to go under the 2 week waiting period how did Dan announce Bobby as an Ast at the presser when he was announced as the Head Coach?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote:If the Ast Coaches have to go under the 2 week waiting period how did Dan announce Bobby as an Ast at the presser when he was announced as the Head Coach?
That's a great question, when Baron was let go what happened with the other assistants? I know Preston stayed on, but were the others fired at the same time as Baron? If so, I'd assume that's the difference here.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote:If the Ast Coaches have to go under the 2 week waiting period how did Dan announce Bobby as an Ast at the presser when he was announced as the Head Coach?
Dan says/has said a lot of things....
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

I was critical of the Cox hire for a number of reasons, but I'm a fan and am all in for now. The problem isn't always money. Many of the top assistants that are out there feel that the incoming recruiting class not withstanding, they are more experienced and better suited for a HC job than Cox. That is just the reality. Just ask a couple of guys named Antonio and Preston who were both advised in no uncertain terms that if you apply to your alma mater and don't even garner consideration, you will hurt your value more than help it. Someone like Tyson Wheeler would probably be a nice fit but out of loyalty to the two aforementioned men would probably not apply. I wonder what Bonzie Colson is doing these days now that his son will be going on to the NBA. He certainly has name recognition and was on two D1 staffs. I'm sure they don't need anyone on this board to figure it out. They must have a plan in place.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
All of the Ast Coaches were are one year contracts that expired on Fri, Apr 6th or Sun, Apr 8th.
In that case, Moore was recruiting for UConn while still under contract to us.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Dre3000 wrote:
That's a great question, when Baron was let go what happened with the other assistants? I know Preston stayed on, but were the others fired at the same time as Baron? If so, I'd assume that's the difference here.
I know at least one member of the staff that was not immediately let go but ultimately was not retained by Hurley at URI.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
LOL...looks like maybe Moore was recruiting for UConn from the moment he arrived at URI? ;)
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Just received the email on the basketball end of year banquet. Will be the 24th.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
LOL...looks like maybe Moore was recruiting for UConn from the moment he arrived at URI? ;)
There was a tweet that Dan and Moore were watching Akok Akok, Jaiden Delaire and Tre Mitchell just a couple of days after Dan was hired. That was way before April 6th. Funny that I can't find it. It must have been deleted.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
It doesn’t prevent someone from resigning earlier than April 6th which I am sure they all did. It was interesting to see that Dan didn’t announce his staffs’ hiring until April 10th.

David Cox wasn’t officially the HC per his contract until Monday, Apr 9th.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:I was critical of the Cox hire for a number of reasons, but I'm a fan and am all in for now. The problem isn't always money. Many of the top assistants that are out there feel that the incoming recruiting class not withstanding, they are more experienced and better suited for a HC job than Cox. That is just the reality. Just ask a couple of guys named Antonio and Preston who were both advised in no uncertain terms that if you apply to your alma mater and don't even garner consideration, you will hurt your value more than help it. Someone like Tyson Wheeler would probably be a nice fit but out of loyalty to the two aforementioned men would probably not apply. I wonder what Bonzie Colson is doing these days now that his son will be going on to the NBA. He certainly has name recognition and was on two D1 staffs. I'm sure they don't need anyone on this board to figure it out. They must have a plan in place.
Neither Preston nor ARD are more experienced than Cox. Neither was considered for any of the openings this year. Tyson will never be a Div 1 head coach. Bonzie Colson.?What?
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think they have someone in the pipeline for one of the asst jobs....just won't know for a little while longer.

I also think that in the attempt to get Macon...URI offered him more than what Cox was making last season....meaning they are having to stretch that 425K budget for assistants.

Which makes a ton of sense.....state issues or not, money can be found to increase staff pay.....
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

http://www.wpri.com/fox-providence/dan- ... 1120265349

Dan Yorke Cox interview. Good stuff in here.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DC_Rams wrote:http://www.wpri.com/fox-providence/dan- ... 1120265349

Yorke is not a good interviewer. No questions on assistants, recruiting vision, etc. I didn’t detect anything we didn’t already know.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:http://www.wpri.com/fox-providence/dan- ... 1120265349

Yorke is not a good interviewer. No questions on assistants, recruiting vision, etc. I didn’t detect anything we didn’t already know.
He’s also not really a sports reporter and this interview was for a general audience. He serves a different role than someone like Chris Disano would if he sat down with the coach.
5 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah I hate how he interrupts cox so quickly after cox starts diving into the previous question. Basically gives cox no chance to give any unknown information. Also think Yorke has no idea the talent level of the incoming recruiting class when he mentions a rebuild year. Would absolutely love an interview with disano.
2 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

David is certainly very impressive and articulate. Not often seen recently.
1 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Our program is in very capable hands. Can't wait for the David Cox Era to begin!
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Cameron_Dollar wrote:I was critical of the Cox hire for a number of reasons, but I'm a fan and am all in for now. The problem isn't always money. Many of the top assistants that are out there feel that the incoming recruiting class not withstanding, they are more experienced and better suited for a HC job than Cox. That is just the reality. Just ask a couple of guys named Antonio and Preston who were both advised in no uncertain terms that if you apply to your alma mater and don't even garner consideration, you will hurt your value more than help it. Someone like Tyson Wheeler would probably be a nice fit but out of loyalty to the two aforementioned men would probably not apply. I wonder what Bonzie Colson is doing these days now that his son will be going on to the NBA. He certainly has name recognition and was on two D1 staffs. I'm sure they don't need anyone on this board to figure it out. They must have a plan in place.
Neither Preston nor ARD are more experienced than Cox. Neither was considered for any of the openings this year. Tyson will never be a Div 1 head coach. Bonzie Colson.?What?
In 5 to 10 years - Preston will be as experienced as coach Cox. Just sayin.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think this pretty much closes the door on PM becoming our HC someday.

Only way is if he gets a HC job at a lower level and does well. Not sure he's close to getting one soon either.
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Iggy, I was talking about Tyson as candidate for an assistant coaching position. He's been at Fairfield for about 6 years. As for Preston and Antonio, they are certainly as qualified as Cox and there were many low level D1 jobs for which they could have applied. They are both probably around 300K per year, which is double what the Bryant job pays. I stand behind my statement that finding a top assistant coach has been a challenge.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Iggy, I was talking about Tyson as candidate for an assistant coaching position. He's been at Fairfield for about 6 years. As for Preston and Antonio, they are certainly as qualified as Cox and there were many low level D1 jobs for which they could have applied. They are both probably around 300K per year, which is double what the Bryant job pays. I stand behind my statement that finding a top assistant coach has been a challenge.
When ARD left it was reported that he started at Clemson with a base of 190k, so if Cox wanted to bring he back he would really need to be the lead assistant (assuming that he would be interested).
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Seems that the search for assistants is being hampered by the salary being offered.

No surprise there. I don't know what Thorr was thinking when the pool was only increased 25K.

Hopefully Cox has talked to him about it. Penny wise and pound foolish won't get it done.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I read that ARD went from $116 at URI to around $150 at Clemson.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

KevanBoyles wrote:I read that ARD went from $116 at URI to around $150 at Clemson.
https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 192db.html
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If URI wants to be competitive with the top of the A10 when it comes to assistant pay, the AHC should be at 250K, the 2nd assistant at 175-200K, and the 3rd at 125-150K.

Actually, it's not a case of want....they NEED to be at those levels. You get what you pay for. If you don't pay, you don't play.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

rambone 78 wrote:Seems that the search for assistants is being hampered by the salary being offered.

No surprise there. I don't know what Thorr was thinking when the pool was only increased 25K.

Hopefully Cox has talked to him about it. Penny wise and pound foolish won't get it done.
Do you have info that the assistant search is because of the money or are you making a baseless assumption because we haven't heard any names?
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The latter
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

One thing I found pretty interesting from Cox’s interview with Yorke is that he was told he got the job on Tuesday night. The earliest report I’ve been able to find with that news was Rothstein’s tweet at 1:30 PM the next day. Just something to think about as we “patiently” await word on news we expect to be coming.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote:One thing I found pretty interesting from Cox’s interview with Yorke is that he was told he got the job on Tuesday night. The earliest report I’ve been able to find with that news was Rothstein’s tweet at 1:30 PM the next day. Just something to think about as we “patiently” await word on news we expect to be coming.
Makes sense if you remember that the also rans got calls Wednesday morning.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:One thing I found pretty interesting from Cox’s interview with Yorke is that he was told he got the job on Tuesday night. The earliest report I’ve been able to find with that news was Rothstein’s tweet at 1:30 PM the next day. Just something to think about as we “patiently” await word on news we expect to be coming.
Also interesting to note because a lot of people were freaking out about coaches being told they didn't get the job on Wednesday because they were worried Cox might not accept and we did everything backwards.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Also interesting to note because a lot of people were freaking out about coaches being told they didn't get the job on Wednesday because they were worried Cox might not accept and we did everything backwards.
That was because one local reporter tweeted that. Kayata, I think?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The assistant coach job search is probably also subject to the same State rule that delayed the hiring of David Cox.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I think if you're on the Cox train then you have to show deference to everything leading up to the season and then judge him on the results.

IMHO bringing back arguably the best point guard with a top 5 front court guy in the A10 is a lot. Then throw in Fatts who can take a game over and there is a lot there. And Thompson at worst is a core rotational guy.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Baseless assumptions my ass. And TP goes off and makes a claim that he has no idea about.

My info is spot on, and yes I know some names. Who shall remain nameless for now.
1 x
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

Rambone - is Macon officially not coming? Or is he still in play?
0 x