'18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Who said he's going after a recruit? Do you know he told Adams to decommit and come to UCONN? Maybe Adams had a good relationship with Dan and when Dan was no longer here he decided to back out of his commitment (things happen, he is a 18/19 year old kid) and Dan who already has a relationship with him reached out to him after he reopened his recruitment. Since Adams knows Dan he decided to visit UCONN to see if he is a fit there.

Maybe that's just using too much logic....
5 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

twisted3829 wrote:Who said he's going after a recruit? Do you know he told Adams to decommit and come to UCONN? Maybe Adams had a good relationship with Dan and when Dan was no longer here he decided to back out of his commitment (things happen, he is a 18/19 year old kid) and Dan who already has a relationship with him reached out to him after he reopened his recruitment. Since Adams knows Dan he decided to visit UCONN to see if he is a fit there.

Really????
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Billyboy78 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:Who said he's going after a recruit? Do you know he told Adams to decommit and come to UCONN? Maybe Adams had a good relationship with Dan and when Dan was no longer here he decided to back out of his commitment (things happen, he is a 18/19 year old kid) and Dan who already has a relationship with him reached out to him after he reopened his recruitment. Since Adams knows Dan he decided to visit UCONN to see if he is a fit there.

Really????
I have no problem with it. Kid signed up to play for Dan. If he still wants that then what's Hurley supposed to say, "No, that might hurt someone's feelings?".

It's how the game works, what can you do?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyNJ wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Really????
I have no problem with it. Kid signed up to play for Dan. If he still wants that then what's Hurley supposed to say, "No, that might hurt someone's feelings?".

Recruit somebody else?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I view it as exactly the same as leaving URI for UConn in the first place: there is no reason for college basketball fans to think the coach of their team would not leave for a job where he will make more money. Nor is there any reason to expect that once that coach left he would not try to take the players he recruited to school 1 to school 2 (the coach views the players as "his" players, not the school's players).

The thing I take exception to is Dan's desire to paint himself as holier than thou and above the greedy, slimy nature that is every other college coach except him, that other guys are only about money and winning but he is about family and teaching. If he had just said nothing about any of this stuff there wouldn't be any reason for anyone to be mad at him. No reason he had to create the impression that he would stay at URI except if an elite job opened up, then leave for a program that was at one time elite but no longer can be called anything close to that with a straight face. No reason he had to say he would not pursue URI players and recruits and then host the only URI player or recruit to decommit from the program on their first official visit after they've opened up their recruitment.

I don't think any of the actions Dan has taken make him any worse of a guy than any other college coach. His own statements make those actions look hypocritical, but the actions themselves are just normal coach stuff. I don't really get why he has to make the statements in the first place, but my guess is that he just can't help himself - he badly wants to be a standup guy who is a better, more loyal, more principled guy than the other coaches - like his father, essentially - but he just finds it harder to walk that walk than he does to talk that talk. There is no real penalty to him for any of this except to his reputation among people that should love him for what he did for them. The irony is that all the overselling of virtue is done in an attempt to be more liked in the first place.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Well said TP, I agree 100%
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Without any knowledge personally of the situation, yes, this is an 18 or 19 yo kid making a very big decision in his life the can certainly help shape his future in many ways, not just basketball. Even though Cox may have been the lead recruiter and established a good relationship with, ultimately Dan was the guy he chose to play for, not Cox. He never made any indication he would come if Cox were named. I still think he made his mind up to leave when Dan made his announcement but probably waited till Cox was named so that he wouldn't have any type of bearing on what was thought of Cox by leaving. In the end, he is a young man who more than likely had the desire to play for Dan and still has that. He was sold on the coach more than the school, that is not that unusual. I have no idea if there was some type of contact by Dan or UConn, though I am not naive enough to think Dan is on some higher moral ground than most other coaches, but if Brendan reached out to him in any manner, what is Dan supposed to do, tell the kid to beat it? He doesn't want him? Obviously, by all accounts he is a very good player and Dan believes and knows that.

Cox became coach, but hypothetically if Nate Oats became the head coach and one of his players or recruits decided to follow him here, I doubt you would see anyone here complaining and more than likely taking the side there is nothing wrong with that, it happens often. Being UConn and the way Dan left and clearly was not as forthright as many here would seem to think, it becomes a much more sensitive issue.

I wonder though, in a case like this, what did Dan sell him on to initially choose URI? Certainly one can assume that he sold himself as coach among a couple other things. Maybe facilities, maybe the players and people on campus were instrumental, an educational program, a "family" attitude. Whatever. How does he turn around and boast about the same things about UConn? If its me or my kid, I have reservations about him anyway leaving after most certainly assuring the family he would be at URI this coming year, and I would certainly question the "family" bs and the fact that seemingly family is not as important as dollar signs. Maybe its me,but I would have questions in my mind about now raving about his new school and what the coach originally said about his old school . There are many great schools, basketball and education wise, and it is a business, more to some than others, and majority of coaches are very similar and I am sure he has seen a few slick guys out there on the recruiting trail. So I would think Brendan has a pretty good idea of what goes on in recruiting.

Either way, I have no animosity toward Brendan, Dan or UConn, it is what it is, nothing crazy or unusual and I wish him the very best of luck wherever he lands.
1 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Wow. These UConn fans do not want Adams at all. They’re all bummed that he’s visiting
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:Without any knowledge personally of the situation, yes, this is an 18 or 19 yo kid making a very big decision in his life the can certainly help shape his future in many ways, not just basketball. Even though Cox may have been the lead recruiter and established a good relationship with, ultimately Dan was the guy he chose to play for, not Cox. He never made any indication he would come if Cox were named. I still think he made his mind up to leave when Dan made his announcement but probably waited till Cox was named so that he wouldn't have any type of bearing on what was thought of Cox by leaving. In the end, he is a young man who more than likely had the desire to play for Dan and still has that. He was sold on the coach more than the school, that is not that unusual. I have no idea if there was some type of contact by Dan or UConn, though I am not naive enough to think Dan is on some higher moral ground than most other coaches, but if Brendan reached out to him in any manner, what is Dan supposed to do, tell the kid to beat it? He doesn't want him? Obviously, by all accounts he is a very good player and Dan believes and knows that.

Cox became coach, but hypothetically if Nate Oats became the head coach and one of his players or recruits decided to follow him here, I doubt you would see anyone here complaining and more than likely taking the side there is nothing wrong with that, it happens often. Being UConn and the way Dan left and clearly was not as forthright as many here would seem to think, it becomes a much more sensitive issue.

I wonder though, in a case like this, what did Dan sell him on to initially choose URI? Certainly one can assume that he sold himself as coach among a couple other things. Maybe facilities, maybe the players and people on campus were instrumental, an educational program, a "family" attitude. Whatever. How does he turn around and boast about the same things about UConn? If its me or my kid, I have reservations about him anyway leaving after most certainly assuring the family he would be at URI this coming year, and I would certainly question the "family" bs and the fact that seemingly family is not as important as dollar signs. Maybe its me,but I would have questions in my mind about now raving about his new school and what the coach originally . There are many great schools, basketball and education wise, and it is a business, more to some than others, and majority of coaches are very similar and I am sure he has seen a few slick guys out there on the recruiting trail.

Either way, I have no animosity toward Brendan, Dan or UConn, it is what it is, nothing crazy or unusual and I wish him the very best of luck wherever he lands.
It's not the fact that Dan is doing these things. It's that he keeps saying he won't do something, then he goes and does it. He's done it a few times now. As TP said, just don't say anything, then you won't be able to be called out about it when you go ahead and do it.
1 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Billyboy78 wrote:
giovanni wrote:Without any knowledge personally of the situation, yes, this is an 18 or 19 yo kid making a very big decision in his life the can certainly help shape his future in many ways, not just basketball. Even though Cox may have been the lead recruiter and established a good relationship with, ultimately Dan was the guy he chose to play for, not Cox. He never made any indication he would come if Cox were named. I still think he made his mind up to leave when Dan made his announcement but probably waited till Cox was named so that he wouldn't have any type of bearing on what was thought of Cox by leaving. In the end, he is a young man who more than likely had the desire to play for Dan and still has that. He was sold on the coach more than the school, that is not that unusual. I have no idea if there was some type of contact by Dan or UConn, though I am not naive enough to think Dan is on some higher moral ground than most other coaches, but if Brendan reached out to him in any manner, what is Dan supposed to do, tell the kid to beat it? He doesn't want him? Obviously, by all accounts he is a very good player and Dan believes and knows that.

I wonder though, in a case like this, what did Dan sell him on to initially choose URI? Certainly one can assume that he sold himself as coach among a couple other things. Maybe facilities, maybe the players and people on campus were instrumental, an educational program, a "family" attitude. Whatever. How does he turn around and boast about the same things about UConn? If its me or my kid, I have reservations about him anyway leaving after most certainly assuring the family he would be at URI this coming year, and I would certainly question the "family" bs and the fact that seemingly family is not as important as dollar signs. Maybe its me,but I would have questions in my mind about now raving about his new school and what the coach originally . There are many great schools, basketball and education wise, and it is a business, more to some than others, and majority of coaches are very similar and I am sure he has seen a few slick guys out there on the recruiting trail.

It's not the fact that Dan is doing these things. It's that he keeps saying he won't do something, then he goes and does it. He's done it a few times now. As TP said, just don't say anything, then you won't be able to be called out about it when you go ahead and do it.
If a coach is asked directly about something, and he avoids answering, he’s pretty much confirming what the fans don’t want to hear, otherwise he would have said it. Nothing said to the media matters at all.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78 wrote:

I agree totally with and TPs post. I have never been one that thought Dan was something special morally or as a coach. I appreciate what he did for that program greatly as everyone else does, but with that being said, I have never been a true fan of Dan the person or Dan the coach. But to say anything negative about Dan in the past few years was blasphemy to many And I think still is to some
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree with Gio that I don't really begrudge Brendan his decision, he should go wherever he thinks is best for him based on whatever criteria he chooses to use. I also don't begrudge Dan trying to re-recruit Brendan. Dan is the head coach at Connecticut, and he is obligated to do whatever he thinks he needs to do (within the rules) to succeed in his role there. To be clear, the only thing I am being critical of here is Dan's choice to play up, over and over, the idea that he was "different" than the other coaches and they were all rolling around in the slop and he was above all of that and was a man with a code or whatever. I was always a little skeptical of what I've called the "mythmaking" around Hurley because of the really large role that he played in building the narrative in the first place, and now that he is not the coach here anymore I feel a little more liberated to call it out. So that's it: I'm not mad at him or anything he's doing, I just don't like the way he pumped his own tires about his values. And I'm not mad at Brendan, either. I'm disappointed because I really like him as a player and thought he would be great here. But, thems the breaks. Can't win 'em all.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I've moved on emotionally from Dan Hurley......we loved him more than he loved the University of Rhode Island....it's over now.....

Brendan Adams seems to have the same mindset.....we loved him more than he loved the University of Rhode Island....I've moved on emotionally...

I hope they both find what they are looking for.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote:I view it as exactly the same as leaving URI for UConn in the first place: there is no reason for college basketball fans to think the coach of their team would not leave for a job where he will make more money. Nor is there any reason to expect that once that coach left he would not try to take the players he recruited to school 1 to school 2 (the coach views the players as "his" players, not the school's players).

The thing I take exception to is Dan's desire to paint himself as holier than thou and above the greedy, slimy nature that is every other college coach except him, that other guys are only about money and winning but he is about family and teaching. If he had just said nothing about any of this stuff [/b]there wouldn't be any reason for anyone to be mad at him. No reason he had to create the impression that he would stay at URI except if an elite job opened up, then leave for a program that was at one time elite but no longer can be called anything close to that with a straight face. No reason he had to say he would not pursue URI players and recruits and then host the only URI player or recruit to decommit from the program on their first official visit after they've opened up their recruitment.

I don't think any of the actions Dan has taken make him any worse of a guy than any other college coach. His own statements make those actions look hypocritical, but the actions themselves are just normal coach stuff. I don't really get why he has to make the statements in the first place, but my guess is that he just can't help himself - he badly wants to be a standup guy who is a better, more loyal, more principled guy than the other coaches - like his father, essentially - but he just finds it harder to walk that walk than he does to talk that talk. There is no real penalty to him for any of this except to his reputation among people that should love him for what he did for them. The irony is that all the overselling of virtue is done in an attempt to be more liked in the first place.

Totally this....
Talking the talk, gets loyal fans and is probably good for the ego, it's pretty much cost neutral.
However, walking the walk that his father walked is much harder, in great part, because...it just doesn't pay anywhere near as well...
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Money doesn't talk......it swears....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Money doesn't talk......it swears....
But it never was about the money....
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Enough about Adams, let's just go out and sign Amir Harris.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reckless jake wrote:Enough about Adams, let's just go out and sign Amir Harris.
I would love that. I'm not sure Amir feels the same way.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Amir wants to play for Dan Hurley.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Amir Harris has his own thread.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I know that's the second time on this thread, but...I think there might still be a couple threads where that Tweek has not yet been posted?
1 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but it really didn’t bother me at all when Adams decommitted from URI. Out of the 4 recruits, he has the lowest ceiling IMO. I wasn’t nearly as excited about him as I was the other recruits once I finally started doing some homework and watching tape on all of them. He didn’t want to play here, who cares? He ends up at UCONN, so be it. I’m certainly not losing sleep over it. We have more important things to worry about.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody83 wrote:Official release Tuesday. Visiting UCONN Friday.
Dan doesn’t care what URI fans think of him anymore.

It is acceptable that this happens. It is not acceptable when the coach says he isn’t going after any URI recruits.
Would have to say in the real meaning of that Dan lied.
Wait, where's Dan's defense team? Believe what you are told, make sure you don't weigh the evidence for yourselves.

Maybe DH and DC are tight, hopefully it's a case of Coach Cox keeping his enemies close and the naivety end's here with Dan's defense team...

Let's go people, tell us how this works with what we were told...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't have a problem with it . Adams came to URI to play for DH then DH left for UConn and Adams decommitted

If Adams plays for DH at UConn then he wanted to play for him all along let's move on
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good call reef....agree
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Some people play for the laundry, but most people play for the coach. Adams wanted to play for Hurley the guard maker. Probably thinks it’s his best chance of getting to the pros. Can’t cry over spilled milk, time to Move on. Now we just have to hope that no one else follows Adams lead!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It's ok. It's all over now.

People's opinions about Dan will linger forever, but it's over.

Good luck to Adams.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CHICO 78 wrote:Some people play for the laundry, but most people play for the coach. Adams wanted to play for Hurley the guard maker. Probably thinks it’s his best chance of getting to the pros. Can’t cry over spilled milk, time to Move on. Now we just have to hope that no one else follows Adams lead!
I agree Adams should go where he wants. Dan saying he was going after URI recruits was a lie. Dan lied and he didn’t have to. He could’ve just said nothing.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Rhody83 wrote:
CHICO 78 wrote:Some people play for the laundry, but most people play for the coach. Adams wanted to play for Hurley the guard maker. Probably thinks it’s his best chance of getting to the pros. Can’t cry over spilled milk, time to Move on. Now we just have to hope that no one else follows Adams lead!
I agree Adams should go where he wants. Dan saying he was going after URI recruits was a lie. Dan lied and he didn’t have to. He could’ve just said nothing.
The kid de-committed. He's on the open market, Dan said he wasn't going after any URI recruits, Adams is no longer a URI recruit.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RamIt! wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
The kid de-committed. He's on the open market, Dan said he wasn't going after any URI recruits, Adams is no longer a URI recruit.
So, if Fatts decided he wanted to transfer (luckily he declined), it would be ok if he just happened to end up at UConn?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think its ok to say whether or not Dan recruited him or Adams just wants to follow Dan, it doesn't make us feel good.
1 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy...gee what a coincidence if that happened.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I disagree, even if he Decomitted Dan Broke his word.

Honestly his recruiting of Adams after his words saying essentially otherwise. Makes me think less of him as person. He may be perhaps not violating the technical agreement( or w/e youd call it you all it), but he badly broke the spirit of the agreement.

I really thought he was an upstanding guy. He may have followed the "letter of the always buy the spirit was badly violated. I don't see how anyone can defend this..

If anyone on the UCONN Admin is reading is i implore you to reconsider this. For me this is a huge knock against running an and Honest, Clean, program. I'm sure many other see it this way also.

I would have the URI Admin ask Dan to force to essentially take a "transfer" year off as they basically deceived us if we let him out of LOI, after Hurley said he was recruiting no URI recruits this the minimum. The reasoning we would not release him from LOI if we knew Da was lying, or being less then honest at the very least. About UConn. recruiting him.

I know some of you guys love Hurley, but IMO this is not the way an upstanding coach asks ad is rankly shady at very best, at worse its borderline conspiracy to steal our recruit. Overall, it's no way for a clean coach to act, frankly would expect this from a pitino, no a Hurley... We did Adams a massive favor by releasing him from MOI with no restrictions. LIKEY IN PART BECAUSE WE WERE TOLD HURLEY WAS NOT RECRUTIGING HIM.

As for the Hurley guard magic.. How any Hurley guards outperformed their rankings? Dowtin I guess but even he was a solid 3 star.. The vast majority at best played up to their Rankings, same even less arguably, certainly he never got a guard t overlay his rankings... (EC, TJ, SR, Ect...) They all had the traditional Hurley issue of weak shooters

But it simply, if Dan takes Adams I will almost all my respect for him. Does anyone ever recall Skinner taking recruits with him to BC after he said he won't?

AS for Adams, Dan, do the right thing, Adams shoul do the right thing also. recommit to URI and if u don't wanna stay sign the LOI and miss a year... Or agree to say on at UConn as a redshirt UCONN as a year as a red shirt. URI let Adam. out out of LOi on what look like false pretenses. lease, Hurley, or UConn admin guys d your job and fix this situation. Cox ( who recruited Adams BTW( and RI is screwed because we tried to do the right thing. Hurley and UConn
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, if Harris, Martin and Adams all decommited and all went to UConn, I'm guessing everybody here would be freaking out. But since it's just Adams, it's ok? To me, when Dan said he wouldn't go after any of our recruits, he meant zero.....not one.
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

WE let out of LOI in part BC Dan said he would not recuit URI recuits.. when he said had Adams was till a URI recruit..

I love Dnn for what he did or the Program, But he did us legit dirty with this adams siuation and basically lied even if you argue if kept the minimum spirit of nto 100^ lying, he clearly was not being forthcoming.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Dan [or an underling] contacted Adams after he decommitted, then OK......but if he contacted him before that...then a big no no.

No way of knowing.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Billyboy78 wrote:So, if Harris, Martin and Adams all decommited and all went to UConn, I'm guessing everybody here would be freaking out. But since it's just Adams, it's ok? To me, when Dan said he wouldn't go after any of our recruits, he meant zero.....not one.
Bing Billy boy, people are trying to spin it to make the Adams recruitment legit and not reacting like he screwed us as you said...

I hope @Keaneyblue IE KB, or other influential former players/boosters.. talks to Dan about this and gets hi to pull the offer to Adams.. IMO this Adams shenanigans is the shadiest crap he has done in IS his time in CBB by far.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

EGram wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:So, if Harris, Martin and Adams all decommited and all went to UConn, I'm guessing everybody here would be freaking out. But since it's just Adams, it's ok? To me, when Dan said he wouldn't go after any of our recruits, he meant zero.....not one.
Bing Billy boy, people are trying to spin it to make the Adams recruitment legit and not reacting like he screwed us as you said...

I hope @Keaneyblue IE KB, or other influential former players/boosters.. talks to Dan about this and gets hi to pull the offer to Adams.. IMO this Adams shenanigans is the shadiest crap he has done in IS his time in CBB by far.
Although Fatts was (would have been ) worse.
1 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhodyNJ wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Really????

Recruit somebody else?
Yeah, totally. Hurley should have said “Screw you Brendan. I don’t care about making you happy, I’m here to please Billyboy78.”
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It isn't unusual at all for recruits, or even current players, to follow their coach when the coach changes jobs, or to reevaluate their situation. If Adams committed only because of Hurley, then fine let him go to UConn. I think a lot of the players and recruits love Coach Cox and committed partially for him in the first place, which should allow us to keep this group mostly intact, but maybe that isn't the case for Adams. Again, I don't have much of an issue with that beyond being disappointed as a fan that Adams doesn't want to play here. The only issue I have is with Dan for writing checks that he isn't willing or able to cash. I don't even have that big of an issue with him wanting to get players he recruited to stay with him.

If you want to benefit from the adoration that comes with saying the right things, then on the back end you have to pay the reputational price when you don't live up to them. The actions themselves are more or less to be expected.
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

rambone 78 wrote:If Dan [or an underling] contacted Adams after he decommitted, then OK......but if he contacted him before that...then a big no no.

No way of knowing.
That's the point. There's no way of knowing. I know everyone is freaking out because of how DH spoke highly of the "family" then bolted, but be realistic, talking to committed recruits is a NCAA violation, I don't see DH going that far. If we saw more recruits doing the same, and being mentioned as being recruited by UCONN, then I would be worried. This is just one 3 star kid who probably has a big ego to fill, just look at all his pictures and headshots, he looks miserable, never smiling.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

FattsAndFurious wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
RhodyNJ wrote:

Recruit somebody else?
Yeah, totally. Hurley should have said “Screw you Brendan. I don’t care about making you happy, I’m here to please Billyboy78.”
If you're going to recruit former URI commits, just don't say that you're not going to do it. That's all. Very simple.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Billyboy78 wrote:
FattsAndFurious wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Recruit somebody else?
If you're going to recruit former URI commits, just don't say that you're not going to do it. That's all. Very simple.
Did he ever actually say he wouldn't recruit players if they de-committed?
2 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Billyboy78 wrote:
FattsAndFurious wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Recruit somebody else?
You’re dense. Very simple.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Holy shit this is getting out of control.
EGram wrote:I disagree, even if he Decomitted Dan Broke his word.

Honestly his recruiting of Adams after his words saying essentially otherwise. Makes me think less of him as person. He may be perhaps not violating the technical agreement( or w/e youd call it you all it), but he badly broke the spirit of the agreement.
I really thought he was an upstanding guy. He may have followed the "letter of the always buy the spirit was badly violated. I don't see how anyone can defend this..
EGram wrote: If anyone on the UCONN Admin is reading is i implore you to reconsider this. For me this is a huge knock against running an and Honest, Clean, program. I'm sure many other see it this way also.
lol at the idea that anyone with decision making influence at UConn is reading your opinions on the matter
EGram wrote:I would have the URI Admin ask Dan to force to essentially take a "transfer" year off as they basically deceived us if we let him out of LOI, after Hurley said he was recruiting no URI recruits this the minimum. The reasoning we would not release him from LOI if we knew Da was lying, or being less then honest at the very least. About UConn. recruiting him.

I know some of you guys love Hurley, but IMO this is not the way an upstanding coach asks ad is rankly shady at very best, at worse its borderline conspiracy to steal our recruit. Overall, it's no way for a clean coach to act, frankly would expect this from a pitino, no a Hurley... We did Adams a massive favor by releasing him from MOI with no restrictions. LIKEY IN PART BECAUSE WE WERE TOLD HURLEY WAS NOT RECRUTIGING HIM.
F******* ridiculous speculation. It is always the right thing to do to let kids out of their LOIs. Why should Adams be punished and have to sit out a year because the biggest reason for him committing to URI is no longer here? No way should our athletic administration attempt to place any restrictions on where Adams plays. This is an 18 yearold kid making the biggest decision of his life so far. Let him go where he wants to go.

EGram wrote:AS for Adams, Dan, do the right thing, Adams shoul do the right thing also. recommit to URI and if u don't wanna stay sign the LOI and miss a year... Or agree to say on at UConn as a redshirt UCONN as a year as a red shirt. URI let Adam. out out of LOi on what look like false pretenses. lease, Hurley, or UConn admin guys d your job and fix this situation. Cox ( who recruited Adams BTW( and RI is screwed because we tried to do the right thing. Hurley and UConn
What evidence do you have that URI let Adams out of his LOI under false pretenses i.e. an agreement that he wouldn't go play for the coach he wanted to play for? So Adams should volunteer to sit out a year because...??? Some URI fans are butt-hurt that he wants to play for Hurley and that's the most important thing to him when choosing a school? You're talking about shady under-handed dealings - what would be truly messed up is forcing a kid to sit out a year because the coach he wanted to play for left for another job.

Adams committed to play for Hurley.
That was clearly the thing that drew him to URI most. Hurley leaves, and Adams is not so attracted to URI anymore. Can't blame the kid, we all love(d) Hurley too. It would be shady if Dan told him to come with him to UConn. What evidence do we have that that happened? For all we know Adams just texted Dan and said "I still want to play for you." That seems to me to be the most likely thing that happened.
What is Dan supposed to say in that situation? "Go screw, I never thought you were that good anyways. You were good enough for URI but not for UConn?"
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

FattsAndFurious wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
FattsAndFurious wrote: Yeah, totally. Hurley should have said “Screw you Brendan. I don’t care about making you happy, I’m here to please Billyboy78.”
You’re dense. Very simple.
Good one. How would you feel if Dan tried to get your boy Fatts to transfer to UConn? Would you be ok with that also? Because he did, my friend.
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

There is a huge and important difference in recruiting former URI commits and recruiting current URI commits and players. The first is fine, IMO. The second is an NCAA violation. billyboy78 - do you know for a fact he tried to get Fatts to leave? That he had personal contact with him or his family expressing that? Because I agree - that would be problem and disingenuous. If Fatts was, on his own, still wondering if URI was the best place for him after Hurley left then I struggle to see how that is Dan's fault.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sf2010 wrote:There is a huge and important difference in recruiting former URI commits and recruiting current URI commits and players. The first is fine, IMO. The second is an NCAA violation. billyboy78 - do you know for a fact he tried to get Fatts to leave? That he had personal contact with him or his family expressing that? Because I agree - that would be problem and disingenuous. If Fatts was, on his own, still wondering if URI was the best place for him after Hurley left then I struggle to see how that is Dan's fault.
Well, Fatts didn’t tell me that, but somebody who would know told me.
0 x