The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by steviep123 »

Forgive my ignorance. Did Tripp Doherty go to URI or did he just work in the athletic dept?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

steviep123 wrote:Forgive my ignorance. Did Tripp Doherty go to URI or did he just work in the athletic dept?
Not an alum.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote:If I'm a player and I know that the coach and some of the staff is most likely leaving at the end of the season....you have to wonder if the effort is going to be 100% there....

This goes back a couple of months ago, when a friend of mine who's on the inside at UConn told me that Moore told him Dan was 99% gone....players had to know what was going on.
If this is true, then F Moore, DH, and UConn. I'm grateful for what DH built, but that behind the back collusion during our season is unforgivable. Similar to Parcells during the 97 Superbowl vs. the Packers. (I'm a Packers fan, so I was happy they won, but that was underhanded).
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

steviep123 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:If I'm a player and I know that the coach and some of the staff is most likely leaving at the end of the season....you have to wonder if the effort is going to be 100% there....

This goes back a couple of months ago, when a friend of mine who's on the inside at UConn told me that Moore told him Dan was 99% gone....players had to know what was going on.
If this is true, then F Moore, DH, and UConn. I'm grateful for what DH built, but that behind the back collusion during our season is unforgivable. Similar to Parcells during the 97 Superbowl vs. the Packers. (I'm a Packers fan, so I was happy they won, but that was underhanded).
It does make sense concerning the late regular season debacles.
0 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Can't go with the Parcells analogy. Parcells and Kraft didn't get along. "If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries" and the Terry Glenn "she" incident and all that.

Kraft seemed to learn his lesson during the Pete Carroll years and then gave Bill Belichick the benefit of a hands off experience.

It's a process apparently.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Terry Glenn passed last November, and Bill Parcells is still ticking at 76 years old... also
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote:I think it's petty to hold something against Miller. Hurley is gone, there is nothing left to spy about. People are not guilty by association. They earn stuff through merit.
Should be a separate butt hurt thread for "schools that have offended in some way and are now condemned forever to burn or rot in hell" :lol: :lol:

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When my friend said 99% gone....I was going to ask him to where....but I didn't ask....figured it was UConn.

Of course they hadn't fired Ollie yet....but obviously they were going to, and knew a while in advance.

What a fucking setup the whole thing was.

Thorr and Dooley also had to know, but at least they tried to keep him by making that offer....and it also seems that a piece of that offer was from boosters....and if they weren't successful, then some of that offer would be rescinded.......which it looks like it has been.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote:When my friend said 99% gone....I was going to ask him to where....but I didn't ask....figured it was UConn.

Of course they hadn't fired Ollie yet....but obviously they were going to, and knew a while in advance.

Thorr and Dooley also had to know, but at least they tried to keep him by making that offer....and it also seems that a piece of that offer was from boosters....and if they weren't successful, then some of that offer would be rescinded.......which it looks like it has been.
I don’t believe it.
No way Thorr or Dooley knew anything (this is get CSI conspiracy level).
A good friend of mine is a big UCONN supporter. He is very good friends with the Werth family who UCONN Practice Facility is named after. I asked him after the fact if they new anything during the season and he said definitely not.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:When my friend said 99% gone....I was going to ask him to where....but I didn't ask....figured it was UConn.

I don’t believe it.
A good friend of mine is a big UCONN supporter. He is very good friends with the Werth family who UCONN Practice Facility is named after. I asked him after the fact if they new anything during the season and he said definitely not.
It HAD to have been in the works before the season/tournament ended...no way these things go from "Interested?" to "Deal" that quickly....
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

I don’t believe it.
It HAD to have been in the works before the season/tournament ended...no way these things go from "Interested?" to "Deal" that quickly....
WHO CARES?!! We don’t need another thread discussing this topic for 2358292937th time
3 x
Common sense is not common.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah not to interested in hearing DH already had his packed his bags for Storrs

Let's focus on the future and Cox getting his top assistant in here hopefully Glen Miller
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Relax...chill pills for all.... sheesh

And G Miller...yeah...looks like he can't wait to get here...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I have major concerns that some of you have either stopped taking necessary medications or started taking unnecessary ones. This is all so crazy.
10 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:I have major concerns that some of you have either stopped taking necessary medications or started taking unnecessary ones. This is all so crazy.
Which group of us Ace :)

I assume you believe the side that Dan didn’t have contact with UCONN until after the Duke game and not the conspiracy that he was 99% gone during the season.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote:
ace wrote:I have major concerns that some of you have either stopped taking necessary medications or started taking unnecessary ones. This is all so crazy.

I assume you believe the side that Dan didn’t have contact with UCONN until after the Duke game and not the conspiracy that he was 99% gone during the season.
Depends what you mean by UConn. Calhoun and Moore are UConn. We know 100% he had contact with them. Also, if his agent is talking to UConn, he can say he wasn't talking to UConn while still telling the truth. Like someone else said, no deal gets done that quickly.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

Depends what you mean by UConn. Calhoun and Moore are UConn. We know 100% he had contact with them. Also, if his agent is talking to UConn, he can say he wasn't talking to UConn while still telling the truth. Like someone else said, no deal gets done that quickly.
Good agents are always in touch with a variety of people, so, I don't doubt that that aspect could be true. He has to gauge Hurley's value, after all, even if Hurley is staying. Or remove him from the equation - After this year, and the year after, and so on, Cox's agent is going to know what *his* value is on the open market. It's why you hire an agent.

I don't really believe the "this was in the bag for MONTHS!" thing though. It's probably more comforting for some fans to think that this was some preordained conspiracy, that nobody but UConn had a chance to hire him. To me, it's similar to how some people would rather lose by a shot at the buzzer, while some others would rather lose by 40 and know its over by halftime.
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Simply it’s the ol’ “ I told y’all so” syndrome.

We got a lotta folks need medication for that malady round these parts.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote:Good agents are always in touch with a variety of people, so, I don't doubt that that aspect could be true. He has to gauge Hurley's value, after all, even if Hurley is staying. Or remove him from the equation - After this year, and the year after, and so on, Cox's agent is going to know what *his* value is on the open market. It's why you hire an agent. .
Exactly. Agents gather information and know what questions to ask based on their clients. Jordan also doesn’t talk to Dan about such things during the season.

But hey, the David Cox era...
4 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I know Hurley claimed his agent knows better than to have that type of conversation with him in season, but be real. That's coach speak. Again what's he supposed to say? "Oh yeah me and Jordan speak about all the schools that want me once a week." That's insane, it's one of those questions no coach can ever answer honestly.

ADs want to know if there is mutual interest as early as possible. Reason being, if there isn't they're going to focus their attention elsewhere. Agents talk to their clients at the end of the season about who has made an inquiry. Agents then tell ADs, yes he's interested or no he's not.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dre3000 wrote:I know Hurley claimed his agent knows better than to have that type of conversation with him in season, but be real. That's coach speak. Again what's he supposed to say? "Oh yeah me and Jordan speak about all the schools that want me once a week." That's insane, it's one of those questions no coach can ever answer honestly.
He absolutely can answer that honestly in certain situations (that aren’t press conferences).
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

ace wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:I know Hurley claimed his agent knows better than to have that type of conversation with him in season, but be real. That's coach speak. Again what's he supposed to say? "Oh yeah me and Jordan speak about all the schools that want me once a week." That's insane, it's one of those questions no coach can ever answer honestly.
He absolutely can answer that honestly in certain situations (that aren’t press conferences).
You're right, but the answer isn't one that many people would have liked.
After the Oklahoma win, when I posted "Coach leaves. Cox takes over, book it." It wasn't a guess, it was what I had heard from someone actually in the program. I know some will not believe that, which is fine, but I believe this person because they haven't been wrong with any of what transpired.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m not out here guessing either. But ultimately, people are going to believe what they want. Good luck with your Rams, guys.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One last question: How many people did UConn interview for its head coaching position?
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

At this time I think we should stop dwelling on the past or reminiscing about an old ex gf and the way it ended. Break ups are never pretty no matter what. Let's look back on the positive memories and times and look forward to the many more that are to come. I'm on to the next gf (Coach cox). What done is done. And nothing can change what has already transpired.
6 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’ll bet not even Ace knows the complete story since parts of it are in Hurley’s own mind. So, as far as I’m concerned it’s futile to keep arguing over it. It’s akin to arguing over penis size, IMHO. Let’s talk about the future.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote:One last question: How many people did UConn interview for its head coaching position?
Actually a great question.
3 x
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

This thread is about a new era. Start a Hurley conspiracy thread if you want so it's easier to avoid the insanity.
9 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Iggy1979 wrote:This thread is about a new era. Start a Hurley conspiracy thread if you want so it's easier to avoid the insanity.
Was just about to say the same....
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This is hysterical..."don't talk about it any more"..followed by..."what do you think ace, I mean, you do agree with me, ace...I'm right, right, ace?" :lol: :lol:
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:One last question: How many people did UConn interview for its head coaching position?
Actually a great question.
Can't just come right out and say that's a great question...need to ask ace first. :roll:
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dre3000 wrote:
ace wrote:
You're right, but the answer isn't one that many people would have liked.
After the Oklahoma win, when I posted "Coach leaves. Cox takes over, book it." It wasn't a guess, it was what I had heard from someone actually in the program. I know some will not believe that, which is fine, but I believe this person because they haven't been wrong with any of what transpired.
I TOTALLY BELIEVE THIS...and sane people have no reason to believe otherwise. Not sure why it's so #@&*! hard to accept.
Accepting the truth isn't going to change what happened.
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Replacing Tom Moore will be easy. There are plenty of veteran coaches in the area that can land here. More importantly, who replaces Cox? Let's see, who is available, knows the Philly area as well as anyone, has ties to URI and and knows the A10. For the old timers, he was described in the old Street and Smith this way. "He shoots jump shots like we breathe". That would be none other than Horace"Pappy" Owens. He will definitely be here. Maybe Giannini will come with him as a package. You heard it hear first.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Replacing Tom Moore will be easy. There are plenty of veteran coaches in the area that can land here. More importantly, who replaces Cox? Let's see, who is available, knows the Philly area as well as anyone, has ties to URI and and knows the A10. For the old timers, he was described in the old Street and Smith this way. "He shoots jump shots like we breathe". That would be none other than Horace"Pappy" Owens. He will definitely be here. Maybe Giannini will come with him as a package. You heard it hear first.
Is Pappy currently coaching?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

There was talk that he was interested. Is he not an option for Howard to stay on that staff?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

He's coming. New coaches rarely retain coaches when the program is not successful; and that is the case with LaSalle. Howard won't retain Pappy who is a legend in Philly. He makes sense and it will happen.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:He's coming. New coaches rarely retain coaches when the program is not successful; and that is the case with LaSalle. Howard won't retain Pappy who is a legend in Philly. He makes sense and it will happen.
Please be right and have "sources" :lol:

If we could get Pappy and Dr. John that would be awesome!!
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Am I right that the dead period ends tonight and recruiting period begins tomorrow and goes thru next Thursday? Would be great to get at least one of these assistant positions filled today. I understand there is a hiring process that URI has to follow, but we disadvantage ourselves with this overly deliberate pace.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If the coach knows that he will be on staff. Then he can recruit. It can be worked around.

I personally don't think it is a disadvantage to have just Cox and Boswell. Those guys get after it on the trail.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sure they do, but the more guys you have out there, the more ground you can cover and the more players you can watch and evaluate and talk to.

I get that a coach that hasn’t had his paperwork finalized can do some things, but they’re likely limited by (a) not being officially on staff and (b) not being able to expense travel costs and stuff. More to the point, though, has there been a decision by Cox and URI on who will be on the staff? Do we know that whatever coaches are going to join the staff know that they’re going to be on the staff?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think it's a big disadvantage to not have a full staff and that's why you saw a lot of assistants hired this week across the country. As TP said, two people can't be where three people can be. And Cox is trying to hire staff and recruit players at the same time, and he's been doing media interviews and who knows what else. There's been one transfer linked to URI since Cox was hired and that's it. Need a staff!
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Pappy is one of my all-time favorite URI players, but I don't have a good feel for him as a recruiter/coach. Have never seen him listed as a top mid-major assistant. I sure as heck don't want both openings filled by coaches from a mediocre A10 program.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Pappy is one of my all-time favorite URI players, but I don't have a good feel for him as a recruiter/coach. Have never seen him listed as a top mid-major assistant. I sure as heck don't want both openings filled by coaches from a mediocre A10 program.
Agree with Iggy here. Nothing against Pappy personally, I actually don't know much about him as an assistant, but we need to be open to searching outside of guys who went to URI or who are fellow A10 coaches. Pappy has been at LaSalle for like 15 years I think, right? Isn't this the same school that a bunch of people want to kick out of the league because they stink? Now we want two of their coaches?
2 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

TruePoint wrote:Am I right that the dead period ends tonight and recruiting period begins tomorrow and goes thru next Thursday? Would be great to get at least one of these assistant positions filled today. I understand there is a hiring process that URI has to follow, but we disadvantage ourselves with this overly deliberate pace.
Recruiting Calendar: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... 170619.pdf
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

With the exception of one season, LaSallle's on court performance sure wouldn't support the hiring of one, never mind two, people from that coaching staff. And I don't recall ever seeing Giannini or Pappy ever described as a "tireless" recruiter which is their primary function in this era college basketball.

Whomever Coach Cox hires, we need to fill out the coaching staff pretty quickly. Besides Cheddi Mosely I haven't seen our name involved with anyone else recently.
3 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Pappy was Mr. basketball in AAU and boys club basketball for years. There are six better options than LaSalle alone in Philly, not to mention PSU and Pitt. Veteran coaches that sit on the bench rarely come from winning programs. They are there to be sounding boards and buffers for HC with refs and players. Tom Moore couldn't win at Quinnipiac with the best facilities and largest budget in the MAAC and Blaney couldn't win at Seton Hall. Moore's mission was to sit on the bench and babysit Hurley for Calhoun. Giannini would fit nicely into that role.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Again, is there interest in Dr. John?

The 2 candidates I've heard the most are Sorrentine and Van Macon.....Cox wants Macon but URI will have to pay quite a bit more than 200K a year to get him.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Already posted in Adams’ thread. Please continue conversation there.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... 50#p367908
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Thorr has been very creative in finding money for the HC position. He now has to do that for the assistants. If Cox can't hire away from St Louis because of $ then we have a problem.
1 x