2018-19 Current Season schedule discussion (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Re: 2018-19 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just emailed uri to ask what the plan is for home schedule this year. I get prices go up but to get a $50 increase per ticket and now have 6 less games is a little disturbing.. Just asked what the plan is.. I know its early but....
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83 wrote:2017-18 Rhody had 2 away games and 2 neutral site games and 29 games in total.
2018-19 Rhody has 4 away games and 4 neutral site games (including WV here) and 28 games scheduled. They can still schedule 2 more homes games to get to max of 27 games plus the Hawaii tournament. The could add another game in Hawaii if the play it against a Hawaii school.

The rule is 27 games + one tournament with a max of 31 or 29 games without a tournament. Then there is an exception for playing an additional game against a Hawaii school if you are playing in a tournament there.

With PC and Brown being away on the same year and adding WV (not playing at the RC), they will have three less games at the RC for 2018-19. It should be 13 home games this year vs 16 home games last year.
If Nevada backed out, URI has 3 more home games to schedule.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ram1980 wrote:Just emailed uri to ask what the plan is for home schedule this year. I get prices go up but to get a $50 increase per ticket and now have 6 less games is a little disturbing.. Just asked what the plan is.. I know its early but....
I had spoken to my ticket rep a few weeks ago after the renewals came out about any potential adjustments made if the amount of scheduled games was more/less than this year. He said there were no plans to do so. I'm fine with 1 less game but to raise prices and charge a flat fee for an undetermined amt of games seems off to me. There's a real chance there may be only 13/14 games at the RC this year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ram1980 wrote:Just emailed uri to ask what the plan is for home schedule this year. I get prices go up but to get a $50 increase per ticket and now have 6 less games is a little disturbing.. Just asked what the plan is.. I know its early but....
You might not hear back right away. The Assoc AD for Ticketing and the Assoc AD for Marketing are out of the office the beginning of the week.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Hopefully we will get more home games. Scheduling a couple of exhibition games is not acceptable.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Email back from Assoc AD Ticketing:
The goal is to host 16 home games. As in the past, the scheduling process will most likely go well into the summer.

My guess is that URI will be rescheduling some of the away games to the following year or buying them out - like Brown and Holy Cross. I don’t see any other way they can get to 16 home games.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Interesting that when asked about program enhancements, Thorr said that he would consult with the coach about the best ways to deploy resources in the basketball budget and specifically mentioned buying games as an item they could consider, along with charter flights.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I just received this response from URI..

Thank you for reaching out regarding your season tickets. I am sure as you know we have not increased season ticket pricing for most if not any price levels in over 5 years. We have made a few section modifications in recent years but have not made any increases as of late. With that said in looking at certain price levels this year, we decided to make several increases depending on location and demand.

As for the number of games at this time the schedule has yet to be finalized. Our goal as is each year is to have at minimum 16 home games which the staff is currently working on.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I do hope the Holy Cross game stays in Worcester. I already have plans to go to the game with a good friend of mine that lives there.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Other half of the double header:

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would think the away Brown game is the most likely contest to get changed. Doing so would solve two problems - get more home games for this season and return the series so that URI would play once in Providence every season (alternate PC and Brown every other year). The HOF Tournament in 2016 messed that up. My guess is URI will try to get Brown to come to Kingston or take a one year break from the series.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Looks to be a done deal. Dayton will be part of the undercard game for WVU vs Rhody..
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Other half of the double header:

Nice - the article says no date has been set, but we have the URI/WVa game on Dec 16th. Is that date confirmed through the ticket ordering process?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

steviep123 wrote:Is that date confirmed through the ticket ordering process?
I believe it was. I think that was the date listed when I renewed my ST package.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

How can a URI home game include a doubleheader with other teams? I can't imagine this game being counted by the NCAA RPI formula as anything but a neutral site for all four teams.
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Any chance we give St. Mary's another shot at accepting a home & home?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

One thing's for sure...if URI does any more of these home and homes....they should make it expensive to back out of it like Nevada did.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:One thing's for sure...if URI does any more of these home and homes....they should make it expensive to back out of it like Nevada did.
is it confirmed? Other than that tweet by the Nevada reporter, I find nothing. I even tweeted to Koch, DiSano, and Geoghegan to see what they know with no response.

I see no reason why either team would want to cancel the return game. Makes too much sense not to have it. I could see it if Nevada needed to delay it a year so they could partake in a tournament or something, but to completely cancel it is crazy.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

steviep123 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:One thing's for sure...if URI does any more of these home and homes....they should make it expensive to back out of it like Nevada did.
is it confirmed? Other than that tweet by the Nevada reporter, I find nothing. I even tweeted to Koch, DiSano, and Geoghegan to see what they know with no response.

I see no reason why either team would want to cancel the return game. Makes too much sense not to have it. I could see it if Nevada needed to delay it a year so they could partake in a tournament or something, but to completely cancel it is crazy.
Yea, what is the story here? This seems odd. Our OOC schedule could sure use this game.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This seems to make more sense. I could not have envisioned URI not wanting this game. If Nevada wanted out, there would probably have had to have been some penalty making it difficult to back out. Reading the Wolfpack forum, it didn't seem like they were a program with loads of cash to buy their way out of games.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That would've been disappointing.
Bring on Nevada!
11:30am on a Monday morning!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote:That would've been disappointing.
Bring on Nevada!
I like that idea. ESPN game.
Try to make is really cold when they fly in too :D
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Rhody83 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:That would've been disappointing.
Bring on Nevada!
I like that idea. ESPN game.
Try to make is really cold when they fly in too :D
While tailgating with you all was fun, an empty-ish ryan center was not what we needed against valpo for the 10am (and yes I get the joke, but still)
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:

This seems to make more sense. I could not have envisioned URI not wanting this game. If Nevada wanted out, there would probably have had to have been some penalty making it difficult to back out. Reading the Wolfpack forum, it didn't seem like they were a program with loads of cash to buy their way out of games.
Not to mention, why would they even want to? Seems like this is the exact type of game teams like URI and Nevada are always desperate to schedule.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We are giving away floor seats to the Nevada game as part of the promotion, so you'd think we are pretty confident it is locked in.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I wonder if those of us who already renewed are eligible.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote:I wonder if those of us who already renewed are eligible.
Yes, you are.
And you only need to put 15% down to get the gift card and be eligible for all these great raffle items.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That Nevada reporter seems to have some bad info.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

So how does this work with those of us that have renewed our season tickets already?
Did mine long ago.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

3 posts above answers your question.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Nevada reporter still being evasive.

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Phen Egap wrote:So how does this work with those of us that have renewed our season tickets already?
Did mine long ago.
You are entered in the raffle. They pick a winner each day for that day’s prize.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ATPTourFan wrote:Nevada reporter still being evasive.

Looks like a guy who is afraid to admit he was wrong.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Exactly another reporter who has no clue !!!!

See you in Kingston Eric Musselman!!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As many expected, the PAC-12 may soon be following the lead of the Big Ten and ACC in going to a 20 game league schedule. This would further eliminate more OOC game opportunities versus P-5 power conference teams.

20 Game Conference Schedule
Big Ten - effective 2018-19
ACC - effective 2019-2020
PAC-12 - pending proposal would be effective 2019-2020
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We don't want a 20 game schedule in the A10.

Too many RPI killers at the bottom.

The BE will be next in a few years....they will likely add an 11th team to make a 20 game league schedule doable.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Surprised the commission didn’t mention anything on scheduling or equality within the game. Missed opportunity to level the playing field a little.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:We don't want a 20 game schedule in the A10.

Too many RPI killers at the bottom.

The BE will be next in a few years....they will likely add an 11th team to make a 20 game league schedule doable.

I would prefer multiple OOC games vs P=5 teams and an 18 game A-10 schedule. If however the other P-5 leagues follow this route and the opportunity for quality OOC games shrinks further, the A-10 may have to follow suit with a 20 game schedule. Two more games versus A-10 opponents will still be far better than nearly all games versus teams from lesser rated leagues.

It is in the best interest of the leagues just outside the P-5 to develop some sort of mutually beneficial scheduling philosophy. Teams from leagues such as the A-10, AAC, BE, MWC, and MVC will need to play one another more often to make up for the loss of P-5 opponent games.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The BE is the only one of the above conferences that can get away with less quality OOC games....

Although when it comes to the NCAA tourney, the BE [other than Villanova obviously] hasn't exactly set the world on fire lately.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The only way expanded the schedule works for the A10 is if there is a way to guarantee the top 5 or 6 teams play H/A's predominately against each other. That's how you strengthen the top of your conference (from an RPI perspective).

That's the advantage in a 10 team BE -- 3 or 4 teams can have dominate OOC's, carry very high RPI's into the conference, and then everyone else knows they'll play them 2 if not 3 times (BET). It boosts resumes, gives other teams chances at great wins with minimal bad losses, etc.

It hurts URI to have another team in the conference that might have a Top 50 RPI, and only have a chance at playing them once because instead they are playing UMASS or Fordham or GW twice.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can't the NCAA be like " uh no, p-5 conferences expanding thier confernece schedules will ruin college basketball"?
1 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It really helps when in the BE's case they have 7 or 8 out of the 10 being solid programs....of course they are all on good financial footing with the massive TV money.

The A10 has 2 or 3 programs that don't belong....and in any given year at least 5 or 6 will suck.....

When the TV contracts are up in a few years, there will be another conference shakeup....would be great if the A10's top 5 or 6 programs could hook up with a few from similar level conferences and form a quality 10-12 team league like the BE....
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Can't the NCAA be like " uh no, p-5 conferences expanding thier confernece schedules will ruin college basketball"?
Why will it ruin college basketball? If anything, it might possibly help with weeding out P5 bubbles.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is horrendous news it will hurt the mid majors more
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Can't the NCAA be like " uh no, p-5 conferences expanding thier confernece schedules will ruin college basketball"?
Why will it ruin college basketball? If anything, it might possibly help with weeding out P5 bubbles.
It is bad because it will likely decrease the number of signature win opportunities for teams outside the power conferences. The selection committee has recently put more emphasis on who you beat rather than number of wins or losses. Look at St. Mary's this year. Their high number of wins with few losses did not result in an NCAA bid. The flip side was Alabama this year and Vanderbilt last year. Some big wins offset their very high number of losses which ordinarily on their own would keep them out of the tournament. Their significant wins, most of which were in conference, offset their many losses and they got at large bids. Giving power conference teams even more opportunities for signature wins while probably reducing such opportunities for non power conference teams is bad for college basketball. It was already tough enough for non power conference teams to make the tourney given recent selection trends. 20 game league schedules will make it even more difficult.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There were only 3 non P5 at large bids last season if you also exclude the BE.

URI, Nevada, and St. Bonaventure

The days of the A10 getting 5 or even 6 bids are over.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

rambone 78 wrote:There were only 3 non P5 at large bids last season if you also exclude the BE.

Wichita State and Houston from the AAC
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I stand corrected....don't know why I thought the AAC is P5....they are not.

Even with that, 5 bids isn't much...and that number will only go down in the future, as long as they keep taking teams from P5 conferences that go 8-10 or 9-11 with the 20 game schedule.

The NCAA should mandate a .500 conference record to get in.....but they don't have the balls to dictate that.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:There were only 3 non P5 at large bids last season if you also exclude the BE.

The A-10 got three bids rather than 5 or 6 not because two or three teams got screwed, but because they only had three teams that deserved to be in tournament. Once the A-10 has 5 or 6 teams that deserve to be in but only get 2 or 3 bids, then we have a problem. My prediction is that if the A-10 has 5 or 6 tournament teams, they will get in. Maybe one team gets screwed and you get 4 or 5, but let's cross that bridge when we get to it.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

5 A10 teams in the tourney next year....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !