The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by jcru »

He better live in the paint and wear a helmet if he wants that many rebounds. He's going to get a nightly beauty treatment called elbows to the nose, and fingers in the eyes.

It's not a glamour role.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Glamour Profession....

Special delivery for Hoops McCann
Brut and charisma
Poured from the shadow where he stood
Looking good
He's a crowd pleasing man

One on one
He's schoolyard Superman
Crashing the backboard

1 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

TJ Buchanan is being promoted to Director of Basketball Operations. Glad to have TJ sticking around and get a nice promotion.
8 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Nice. Congrats, TJ!
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RamZone72 wrote:TJ Buchanan is being promoted to Director of Basketball Operations. Glad to have TJ sticking around and get a nice promotion.

Nice promotion after just one year on a D1 staff. Will see a significant bump percentage wise as his salary goes from $38,000 to $46,500. I would imagine he can use it having to help support a wife and young child. Hopefully his upward trajectory continues with an assistant's job (which pays much better) in the future for him.
2 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

could be a good start. experience on the bench. he was well liked at UCONN.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Off topic...any details on Ashley Howard contract?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

On a personal level, I wanted to TJ to be on this staff, but Miller would be a great way to address the need for a veteran coach and experienced hand on the bench.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Miller would be a great hire.....did he work with the big men at UConn?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RamIt! wrote:

could be a good start. experience on the bench. he was well liked at UCONN.

He is a Groton native that went to UConn and Northeastern. Supposedly close to Calhoun since his playing days under him at Northeastern and later had stints as part of his staff at UConn.

His bio from when he was last on Kevin Ollie's staff at UConn:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-ba ... len00.html
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Miller would be great. I know some UConn fans who were pissed when Ollie dropped him.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ollie letting Miller go didn't sit too well with Calhoun, evidently.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, if Miller is close to Calhoun, is he the next mole?....
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote:Miller would be a great hire.....did he work with the big men at UConn?
Rod would approve.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:So, if Miller is close to Calhoun, is he the next mole?....
yes. But, looks like that mole hole is filled...at least for the short term?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:So, if Miller is close to Calhoun, is he the next mole?....
yes. But, looks like that mole hole is filled...at least for the short term?
For head coach, anyway...
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Miller was very much in play to become URI head coach when Baron eventually got the job, he had been very successful at Brown at the time. He was very close to getting job before there was some interference run. I would have much rather have seen him than Baron at the time, although he did go on to fail badly at Penn. Also won a national title at D III So Conn if I am not mistaken. I think it would be a very good hire. Actually all the names I have read on this board, Macon, Sorrentine, Giannini (though I doubt he would have any interest) seem to be very solid choices. Hope Cox can hire soon and we'll and have a full staff get to work.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It was Connecticut College.
Miller was hired along with Calhoun to coach DIv III St. Joseph's in Connecticut but he contacted Cox even before Cox was hired.
I'm not sure if Cox is interested but if Giannini is out then Miller would check the box of former head coach that Cox would like to have sitting next to him. And he'd come relatively cheap.
Checking to find out more.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

steviep123 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Miller would be a great hire.....did he work with the big men at UConn?
Rod would approve.
Rod would definitely approve. I remember going to Pizzitola for Glen Miller's first game as head coach of Brown and meeting Rod there. He was a big fan of Miller. To his credit, Miller put on a coaching clinic that game.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Coach Cox will be on Dan Yorke's State of Mind TV show this Friday.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:It was Connecticut College.
Miller was hired along with Calhoun to coach DIv III St. Joseph's in Connecticut but he contacted Cox even before Cox was hired.
I'm not sure if Cox is interested but if Giannini is out then Miller would check the box of former head coach that Cox would like to have sitting next to him. And he'd come relatively cheap.
I think Miller definitely checks all the boxes, maybe as well as Giannini. DrJohn certainly has more head coaching experience at a higher level, but Millers Brown experience coupled with his ability to be by the side of Calhoun and a national championship program is very impressive too. If either or both or these guys were hired I would certainly be very happy
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like good news possibilities of Glen Miller as assistant coach let's make it happen
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:It was Connecticut College.
I think Miller definitely checks all the boxes, maybe as well as Giannini. DrJohn certainly has more head coaching experience at a higher level, but Millers Brown experience coupled with his ability to be by the side of Calhoun and a national championship program is very impressive too. If either these guys were hired I would certainly be very happy. I expect positive moves like this going forward with this program and it would be nice to begin with hiring a couple of excellent assistants.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Always good to get a guy with head coaching experience as a top assistant under a 1st time head coach
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I know that Miller wanted to be a URI very badly 20 years ago, partly because it would have been a great jump for him and also they he liked and obviously was very familiar with the area. It's always nice to have someone who would be happy to be here. My guess is he would be quite happy, could be a perfect fit.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

jcru wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Rod would approve.
Rod would definitely approve. I remember going to Pizzitola for Glen Miller's first game as head coach of Brown and meeting Rod there. He was a big fan of Miller. To his credit, Miller put on a coaching clinic that game.
I think Rod would definitely approve. He was a big Miller fan when he was at Brown, as was I. Rod liked the idea of Miller getting the head job during the Baron hire, I loved it FWIW, but Rod typically wanted a big name or a bigger name with a history of success, more glamour or "sexy" hire. Good call on Miller JCRU,
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The question is: what role did Miller play in the UConn train wreck?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:The question is: what role did Miller play in the UConn train wreck?
??
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

https://www.theday.com/article/20170325 ... /170329467

"A former point guard, Miller had a variety of responsibilities, including working with UConn's big men."
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:The question is: what role did Miller play in the UConn train wreck?
??
Obviously there is some innuendo there, but hard for me not to think most of the problem was with Ollie. First of all, he’s the head coach. But second of all, Miller has been around, he was on the bench for two national championships. All of a sudden he is an issue? Tough sell for me. More likely Ollie tried scapegoating Miller when things started going badly.
1 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Appears it was more of a drastic shake up move after his own failure. I read through a lot of articles of his firing and no cause given and all the fans commenting were upset and thought Ollie should be the one fired some even saying Miller should replace Ollie
0 x
DowtinDimes
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DowtinDimes »

I like the idea of a Glen Miller hire. Maybe Thorr can sing him a Moonlight Serenade to get him In the Mood to come to Rhody. Let's hope this goes through, because if we don't fill out the staff soon, I'll be reaching for my Little Brown Jug.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

DowtinDimes wrote:I like the idea of a Glen Miller hire. Maybe Thorr can sing him a Moonlight Serenade to get him In the Mood to come to Rhody. Let's hope this goes through, because if we don't fill out the staff soon, I'll be reaching for my Little Brown Jug.
So Glenn Miller is a phenomenal guy and coach, but I don’t want any more UConn people in our program. I’d also like to see a younger staff who is hungry and ready to hustle. IMHO not having a staff other than DC, Boswell and TJ (DOBO can be on the road in place of an assistant if an assistant is unable, see Jim Carr a few years back) is sufficient for the early signing period and I’m 100% confident that we’ll have a staff in place before the NCAA live recruiting period. If I was DC I’d hire TJ Sorrentine and try like hell to bring a member of one of the EYBL programs (City Rocks, BABC, Rens, Team Takeover or Boo Williams) on staff to make another connection at that level. Chris Alesi is another name I’ve heard. Deep ties to the UA AAU world.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Surprised more people aren’t elated at Glen Miller. That is EXACTLY the type of guy we need. We don’t need a staff full of ex AAU coaches, we already have Boswell to fill that role. The value of knowing how to run a college program, game strategy and scouting is a big part of the job...as well as recruiting. Good staff needs balance. Cox’s background is recruiting, he’s not going to stop being good at that and dialed into that heavily just bc he is the head coach. Ty also has to be a workhorse there. Need to add someone to bring upleveled thinking in other areas.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Glen Miller is a slam dunk. I think Cox hiring him would show some bravado too. Ollie clearly wanted him gone during the revolt before the fans could start clamoring to install Miller instead.

Miller is humble enough to accept an associate HC position. If Cox is not threatened by him, I don't see the problem.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is a no brainer , hire Glen Miller !!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We know that Miller applied for the head coaching position when Baron was eventually hired. If I had to guess, he probably applied for the head coaching job this time too. Not saying he wouldn't take an assistant's job, just that Thorr probably has had his application for a little while now.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Well Miller landed a recruit yesterday-- for St Joe's in Hartford.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

jcru wrote:Glen Miller is a slam dunk. I think Cox hiring him would show some bravado too. Ollie clearly wanted him gone during the revolt before the fans could start clamoring to install Miller instead.

Miller is humble enough to accept an associate HC position. If Cox is not threatened by him, I don't see the problem.
He is no “slam dunk” to quote you, I also don’t want anymore UConn people in this program. He’ll probably be the next spy for them... we can do better. If we want someone who has HC experience let’s go get Seth Greenberg who has done it at a much higher level. He would be a “slam dunk”
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I agree with both BAR and NRF, Miller would probably be a good hire, but I don't want anymore associations with a certain former UConn coach and I'm guessing Miller and Calhoun are very tight, call it petty I guess, but I also think there are better candidates. I think I like Dr. John.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This tight.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I see it the opposite way, Uconn fans really like Miller. They took one of ours, let's take one of theirs.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A lot of talk about Miller....but is there any interest from Cox?
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Glen Miller is a good coach. Knows the nuts and bolts on how to run a Div 1 program. Can offer Cox a good measure of help.

I don't want to miss out on a good coach because of some sort of butt hurt associated with UConn.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
jcru wrote:Glen Miller is a slam dunk. I think Cox hiring him would show some bravado too. Ollie clearly wanted him gone during the revolt before the fans could start clamoring to install Miller instead.

He is no “slam dunk” to quote you, I also don’t want anymore UConn people in this program. He’ll probably be the next spy for them... we can do better. If we want someone who has HC experience let’s go get Seth Greenberg who has done it at a much higher level. He would be a “slam dunk”
What the hell else do we have to worry about UConn spying on us about? This is paranoid madness, and it is also shortsighted to say that you will not hire the best person for you because of someone they used to work for. I wish PC had taken that position when they hired Ed Cooley, but unfortunately for us they didn't mind hiring someone that was formerly associated with URI. This, by the way, is coming from someone who had to summon every last bit of self control at my disposal not to call Tripp Doherty a fucking loser on twitter this morning because he "grew up rooting for UConn," so I get being anti-UConn at the moment. But Miller would be great for David Cox's staff, and that should really be the only thing we care about when it comes to him hiring assistants.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think it's petty to hold something against Miller. Hurley is gone, there is nothing left to spy about. People are not guilty by association. They earn stuff through merit.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

So much about guys that have local ties.

Cox isn't a local guy. What is the likelihood he rounds out a staff of TJ, Miller, and the Dr. ? Because they all have state of Rhode Island ties?

Obviously they all have their merits, but I don't think it is likely he staffs up with people who already occupy a place in the KeaneyBlue imagination.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I see that BAR and still want Dr. John. j, I never said anything about spying, that's not even a minor concern. I just want to move away from associations with that team and crush them in rankings and the such.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

TruePoint wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:

What the hell else do we have to worry about UConn spying on us about? This is paranoid madness, and it is also shortsighted to say that you will not hire the best person for you because of someone they used to work for. I wish PC had taken that position when they hired Ed Cooley, but unfortunately for us they didn't mind hiring someone that was formerly associated with URI. This, by the way, is coming from someone who had to summon every last bit of self control at my disposal not to call Tripp Doherty a fucking loser on twitter this morning because he "grew up rooting for UConn," so I get being anti-UConn at the moment. But Miller would be great for David Cox's staff, and that should really be the only thing we care about when it comes to him hiring assistants.
Damn, I thought it was just me, I had the very same reaction when I read that Tripp Doherty tweet earlier this morning. Eff him and his blue and red UConn shorts.

I'm beginning to look at the close of our season with a different perspective and maybe losing a little respect for Hurley with each passing day.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If I'm a player and I know that the coach and some of the staff is most likely leaving at the end of the season....you have to wonder if the effort is going to be 100% there....

This goes back a couple of months ago, when a friend of mine who's on the inside at UConn told me that Moore told him Dan was 99% gone....players had to know what was going on.

And so did the recruits. Luckily for us everyone except Adams is staying.

To be honest, I would think everyone also knew a while ago that Cox was going to be the new coach.

Telltale signs started to appear....such as Cox doing all of the scout work...and getting Dan's ear more and more during games.

It's all clear now.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x