The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
RF1 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:Not quite coaching carousel related, but...

Siena's Jimmy Patsos under investigation - Allegations of verbal abuse by men's basketball coach draw scrutiny

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... 806097.php

Patsos has not been successful at Siena. I therefore can't help but feel that this may be an effort on the part of the school to get rid of him without paying his full buyout. Doesn't mean it may not be true but more often than not many schools keep these things quiet. With buyouts so large these days, it is however now getting very ugly with departures. Both Pitt and UConn got rid of their coaches with accusations/charges of just cause. They are playing hardball to reduce the buyouts. The courts may ultimately rule on the matter.
Yep, they're trying to do him like UConn did Ollie.

The timing of this also seems to lend credence to this. Note that it did not happen right before the season or during it. It conveniently comes out just a few weeks after the season was concluded.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

FGCU didn't waste any time.

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:FGCU didn't waste any time.

He dropped the "Mc" from his name so he wouldn't be confused with his cousin Marty.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Im loving the move from LaSalle in getting Ashley Howard.

5 years as an assistant under Jay Wright
he's a Philly guy through and through (grew up in Philly, went to Drexel, coach at Nova)
and they took a coach from the big dog in town and another of the Big 5
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I guess it means LaSalle isn’t looking to drop to a lower conference after all.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Shit job: Correct
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ouch. Imagine you are La Salle right now and could get this guy - which would be a major coup for them - and you're sitting there trying to micromanage his staff? Like...hey, La Salle, he knows what a winning basketball program looks like, and you do not.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Based on history, this Coaching Changes account isn't the most accurate of sources.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like a very good hire for LaSslle
0 x
ECUfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ECUfan »

RF1 wrote:It would appear Dooley was waiting to see how the URI hiring played out. Probably not a coincidence that the ECU deal was finalized on the same morning he was told he was not the choice at Rhode Island.
The reporting here indicated Dooley was using your job as leverage to get more commitment from ECU on things like travel and staff pay. While Rhode Island is a better basketball job his parents live here and he's is going to make 200k more with out the same sort of expectations/ pressure while still in a good conference. Obviously to be the only coach in D1 history to be fired and rehired by the same school, he must really have wanted to be here and I do think with the family angle and history this is probably where he wanted to be. I think you guys probably got the best fit for your current situation as well so it kind of doesn't matter either way.
theblueram wrote:Dooley coached at ECU from 1991-1999 and was the head coach of the Pirates starting in 1995. His .523 winning percentage is the highest in ECU's Division 1 history.

That doesn't seem like a record worth touting.
Sadly when it's the only coach in your D1 history to have a winning record it is. Considering he was 29 years old when he got the job and the shoestring resources at the time it is relatively solid and he didn't deserve to be fired. He had terrible injury luck and his best player was hurt the final year and gave the AD an excuse to fire him and get his own guy. He also had future National POY David West committed when he was fired too which goes down as what could have been, but in a weird way to get the 52 year old prime version who learned under Bill Self a decade it may work out better in the end.
Last edited by ECUfan 6 years ago, edited 8 times in total.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Good knowledge. Thanks for the perspective.

Beat UConn!
0 x
ECUfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ECUfan »

TruePoint wrote:Good knowledge. Thanks for the perspective.

Beat UConn!
I think it worked out well for both of us. Dooley is probably the only coach in America that really wants to be at ECU and some of that is his parents living here I suspect. If he were ever to leave after success I would prefer to promote with in as well like you guys. That seems like that's the best way to minimize player turnover and sustain success to me.

Fit matters. Our AD fired Dooley to hire Bill Herrion who on paper seemed amazing, and no one could believe we hired one of the hottest young coaches in America at the time. It was a complete disaster, his style and personality were terrible with Dooleys players and he was Northeast/phily guy with no ties to the area trying to sell Philly kids to come to Greenville NC. Clearly fit is important and if you have a good coach to promote from within after seeing that I always would look hard at that way.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good luck ECU I hope Dooley does well for you guys !!
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Anyone else Notice Bryant took the assistant (Grasso) I wanted to steal from Iona and gave him the HC job. I really badly wanted him to get a job as an AC under Cox and hellp with hsi recruiting magic in that NY/NJ/Conn area. We are way weaker in NY/Conn then we should be. Same with New England.

Best Hire they ever made imo, dude often gets tons of credit for the transfer and recruiting and success at Iona. I wonder if he will bring in Cluess "style" of Defensive/offensive thought also.

BTW edit: Is causing double posts.... and adding quotes to everything for me.

Edit: Or maybe it was just because i was switching the quote and edit buttons lol!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Luke Murray is going to Louisville with Mack.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's a good combo there for Louisville
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

EGram wrote:Anyone else Notice Bryant took the assistant (Grasso) I wanted to steal from Iona and gave him the HC job. I really badly wanted him to get a job as an AC under Cox and hellp with hsi recruiting magic in that NY/NJ/Conn area. We are way weaker in NY/Conn then we should be. Same with New England
Van Macon (from SLU) would cover NY/NJ. Ty covers NE. If you think we are weak in NE then you need to replace Ty. His primary job is recruiting in NE. He doesn’t do any Scouts and isn’t involved with in game coaching (not an Xs & Os guy yet). I think he covers NE well. If Ty gets one top player from NE each year (Dana this year) that is great. Some of Dana’s teammates are potential recruits on the horizon including Dana’s younger brother.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

La Salle job seems to be getting more interest from legit on-the-come coaches than I'd have expected. Might explain why they were willing to move on from Dr. Gianini, who is a respected basketball coach but probably didn't move the needle enough in recruiting and perhaps plateaued in that job. A young guy getting his first head job just offers a lot more upside. More risk, to be sure, but if you're La Salle at this point, what do you actually care?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

For those that thought URI moved too slow in its process to hire a new coach, consider its process versus that of LaSalle.

URI
URI tries to keep Hurley with counter offer. He declines and leaves by his own will making it public on Thursday 03/22/18. Bjorn holds press conference that same day and states that he hopes to have a new coach in 2-2.5 weeks (up to 18 days). Must follow state hiring rules process. New coach named 14 days later with official introduction on 16th day.

LaSalle
LaSalle decides to part ways with Giannini making it public 03/23/18. It is assumed that the school was working on this for some time before this so it knew it would soon have to hire a new coach. LaSalle is a private institution that does not have to follow burdensome state hiring rules. Today is the 14th day since the announcement of Dr. G leaving and no new coach has yet to be named. LaSalle, knowing in advance it would have to hire a new coach, has now taken longer than URI to name a replacement.
2 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

I mentioned a few days ago that the Dr. G may be an interesting name as the 1st assistant to help with in game planning. Very experienced and has done a good job at a difficult school. He knows the league and being from the Philly area could aide in recruiting. Philly and NYC are the two sites we should want someone in. DC has the DC/Maryland area and TY has NE covered. I believe that DC is experienced enough to run his own team but experience help may be a good idea.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodywins wrote:I mentioned a few days ago that the Dr. G may be an interesting name as the 1st assistant to help with in game planning. Very experienced and has done a good job at a difficult school. He knows the league and being from the Philly area could aide in recruiting. Philly and NYC are the two sites we should want someone in. DC has the DC/Maryland area and TY has NE covered. I believe that DC is experienced enough to run his own team but experience help may be a good idea.

Said the same thing the day he was let go:
TruePoint wrote:Giannini could be an excellent top assistant at URI. He is a respected Xs and Os coach, a coach's coach (won D3 national title), knows the league as well as anyone and has a URI connection because his father-in-law Bill Woodward literally wrote the book about Rhode Island basketball and the biography of Frank Keaney. I feel like unless he has a destination already in mind, I would be on the phone with him already.
I've asked around a little bit, and nobody seems to think he'd have much of an interest. He must know Cox because they've played a bunch of times the last four years, but no idea if they've ever even had a conversation. But I think he would be perfect as an AHC.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rhodywins wrote:I mentioned a few days ago that the Dr. G may be an interesting name as the 1st assistant to help with in game planning. Very experienced and has done a good job at a difficult school. He knows the league and being from the Philly area could aide in recruiting. Philly and NYC are the two sites we should want someone in. DC has the DC/Maryland area and TY has NE covered. I believe that DC is experienced enough to run his own team but experience help may be a good idea.
Good call rhodywins.

The money would likely work too!

Hopefully Coach Cox considers your advice.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO Dr G would not take an AHC job at URI, or within the conference. I could see him possibly going to a P5 in that capacity, but not at A10 level or below.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Two names being rumored for the two open Ast spots:
Van Macon (as top recruiter)
Dr G (as 1st Assistant)

I think I put the Dr G comment under the discussion on the Cox Era thread in the post discussing total Ast salary pool available.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote:IMO Dr G would not take an AHC job at URI, or within the conference. I could see him possibly going to a P5 in that capacity, but not at A10 level or below.
I'd love him as an assistant here, but yeah, I think the possibility is slim that he goes for that. Are there any low-Division I openings left? I'd think one of those programs might be after him, similar to how Baron went down a level from the Atlantic 10.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

LS Salle would be Dumb not to look at Ckuess.

LI would be a perfect program for him. WE could settle once and for all if he cab perform and have success a an A-10 school.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Looks like LaSalle has selected and come to terms with a new coach - Villanova Assistant Ashley Howard. Press release will go out today at 5pm with an introductory press conference tomorrow at 11pm.

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Looks official:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great hire. Plus it means we've now got 3 potentially strong A10 teams in PA - St. Joe's, La Salle and Duquesne. Our conference is definitely on the way up!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeteRI wrote:Great hire. Plus it means we've now got 3 potentially strong A10 teams in PA - St. Joe's, La Salle and Duquesne. Our conference is definitely on the way up!

I would not go so far as to proclaim Duquesne and LaSalle to be strong until they actually get there and stay that way for a while. The two schools have combined for just two NCAA bids in some seventy season opportunities as A-10 members. They have had just a handful of winning seasons as members, rank near the bottom every year in attendance, and are at or near the bottom of the league for facilities.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RF1 wrote:
PeteRI wrote:Great hire. Plus it means we've now got 3 potentially strong A10 teams in PA - St. Joe's, La Salle and Duquesne. Our conference is definitely on the way up!

I would not go so far as to proclaim Duquesne and LaSalle to be strong until they actually get there and stay that way for a while. The two schools have combined for just two NCAA bids in some seventy season opportunities as A-10 members. They have had just a handful of winning seasons as members, rank near the bottom every year in attendance, and are at or near the bottom of the league for facilities.
Jeez, do you hafta ruin my enthusiasm with facts? :P
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like a good hire, hopefully he gets the Explorrers to middle of the pack
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I am told by Someone close to the Cooley family Louisville wanted Ed Cooley as it's Number One Choice,

But PC has given him some insane contract for life essentially that pretty much Guarantees him 32+m+ if he stays through his current contract , or gets fired.

Still, if Lville had been willing to really give out insane cash they might have had him from what i heard.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow hard to believe Cooley would turn down 4 milly a year at Louisville
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

EGram wrote:I am told by Someone close to the Cooley family Louisville wanted Ed Cooley as it's Number One Choice,

But PC has given him some insane contract for life essentially that pretty much Guarantees him 32+m+ if he stays through his current contract , or gets fired.

Still, if Lville had been willing to really give out insane cash they might have had him from what i heard.
Tell that to Golocal. See if they go with it.
9 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:
Kenya Hunter will be like Hurley's David Cox at UConn - former Georgetown assistant, from the DMV, coming over from one of the Big Ten's also-ran programs.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hunter and Cox coached together at Georgetown
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Right, that too. Wonder if he was recommended to Dan.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cox said he'd hire someone quickly so hopefully in the next couple of days. Handicapped with half a staff.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Half a staff, and apparently further handicapped by having to spend time re-recruiting players and recruits. Which is obviously a priority and glad that it seems to be going well, overall, but will be nice when we can get back to trying to add players rather than just retain them.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, signing period starts Wednesday.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Kenya Hunter was also part of the Nebraska staff when URI played them. That home game where Rhody beat a ranked team and honored Avery Harriman, whose dad was also a Nebraska assistant then, is still pretty special to me.

I don’t know what he’ll be making at UConn, but Hunter reportedly turned down an offer of $320,000 to stay at Nebraska.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Curious, can anyone find Ashley Howard’s contract details?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote:Kenya Hunter was also part of the Nebraska staff when URI played them. That home game where Rhody beat a ranked team and honored Avery Harriman, whose dad was also a Nebraska assistant then, is still pretty special to me.

I don’t know what he’ll be making at UConn, but Hunter reportedly turned down an offer of $320,000 to stay at Nebraska.

What they did to honor that kid with the Avery Strong shirts was nothing short of a wonderful high class gesture from the team. It was amazing and it made me proud to be an alum.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

It really was heart warming when the students started chanting "Avery, Avery" and Avery's father turned to them and acknowledged their action.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

One more try....anyone know Ashley Howard’s contract details? Just trying to compare....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Have not seen anything reported.
0 x